It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Pretty village, pretty flames.

<span class="bold">Kingdoms and Castles</span>, a building/strategy game where you expand your humble medieval villages into majestic, castle-crowned cities, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com!

Medieval times were not the best environment to raise a city in: dragons, raiders, diseases, aggressive weather - they'll all try to bring it down. But follow a sensible design, keep your citizens in good health, build the odd wall if necessary, and you might give your village a fighting chance in this dynamic, unforgiving world.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_yODlvKKW-I
Post edited March 10, 2017 by maladr0Id
Will keep an eye on it, love games like this...
I love the look of the game, and for $10 I'll probably pick it up when it comes out.

It does feel like GOG is a little desperate for news posts right now though. A pre-order announcement for a game with no pre-order bonuses (which is a good thing in my opinion) and no set release date. Hopefully next week will make up for how slow this one has been. One release, and one game removed. Oh well, some weeks are like that.

Since the developers are here, I have a question: How friendly is this game to people who are new to (and/or bad at) the genre?
Looks interesting, but I really need to see more what the actual gameplay is like.
mistermumbles: Looks interesting, but I really need to see more what the actual gameplay is like.
Was watching this playthrough myself, seems pretty nice overall
Nice. I was wondering if this will come to gog. I already noticed it when it wen't to gather additional funds for development. Its a very cool concept.

Looks great. Definitely getting it soon.
Post edited March 10, 2017 by Matruchus
Well this looks like it could be fun. Wishlisted for now so that I can keep track of it :D
Is this game like a polygonal version of Banished?
mistermumbles: Looks interesting, but I really need to see more what the actual gameplay is like.
Pheace: Was watching this playthrough myself, seems pretty nice overall
Funny you say that. The more I watch, the less interested I become. It really doesn't seem anything but a version of Stronghold light. Since there also don't seem to be any actual goals, I can see this relatively basic game becoming very boring very quickly.
I want a Medieval City Builder,but not sure about the fantasy angle. I would prefer a straight up historical one.
Too bad that "Medieval Mayor" from the people who did the Sierra City Builder games ("Caesar 3" "Pharoah"
"Zeus") fell through a couple of years back.
And the system requirements for a game of the type seem ridiculous,given what the graphics appear to be.
Post edited March 11, 2017 by dudalb
dudalb: Too bad that "Medieval Mayor" ... fell through a couple of years back.
Indeed. When I saw a first mention of it back then I got pretty excited, just to be disappointed in the end by the projects demise.

I really should give Settlers 6 a try, one of these days. It's been sitting in my backlog for a while now.
Pretty village, pretty flames.
Village. Check.
Flames?
Pheace: Was watching this playthrough myself, seems pretty nice overall
mistermumbles: Funny you say that. The more I watch, the less interested I become. It really doesn't seem anything but a version of Stronghold light. Since there also don't seem to be any actual goals, I can see this relatively basic game becoming very boring very quickly.
Best approach is the one that Sim City uses:the main game is free form sandbox...you choose your own goals...but with scenarios included for more structured play.
As for system requirements, we're in alpha right now and a quick survey of our alpha players showed that while the game runs just fine, they all had really beefy machines.

We'll be doing a lot of performance improvements between now and release, but just in case I wanted to be on the safe side with the sys reqs. For final release the sys reqs will most likely be lower and we'll be updating them accordingly later on
Uh,maybe they should have chosen Alpha testers with a view to testing over a wide range of machines?
That is the problem with indie games:you have a lot amateur mistakes like this one.
I would not be surprised if the final requirement are considerably lower then the ones stated. There is nothing in what we have seen of the game that would require a real hefty machine. They look like grpahics that could have come out about ten years ago.That is not saying the graphics are bad, just saying the do not seem to be havey enough to require the kind of beefy system indicated in the current requirements.
Post edited March 11, 2017 by dudalb
Having watched the trailer, I realize most of that wasn't actual gameplay. If it was, I couldn't tell.

I couldn't exactly tell which RTS this was inspired by due to a lack of graphical elements to tell me what was going on.

Compare to Knight's Providence, an indev 3D RTS based heavily off of Knights And Merchants.

Just at a glance, I can tell several things from this screenshot.

A: Several things are being built. and incomplete buildings don't have flags.
B: I can tell what the units are doing at a glance.
C: The major resources are wood and stone.

I could only glean so little from the untextured voxel graphics seen in the trailer. It's basically like trying to make heads or tails of 8 pixel stickmen seen in 2D indie games with no artist.

Of course that raises the question why pre-alpha footage when there's a good chance the entire game will be restructured by the time it reaches Gold.
deleted
Post edited March 11, 2017 by Fairfox
I like the trailer and great to see the game come to gog, I'll consider picking it up when it comes out though.