It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Conquering the upside down.

UPDATE: Despite surface rumors to the contrary, his malevolence the Dungeon Lord is a generous ruler. As proof, he decided to give all who pre-order Dungeons 3 a FREE copy of Dungeons 2 on top of all the other shiny bonuses. If you already own Dungeons 2, contact our support team to get a copy you can gift to a friend.

Act fast - the offer lasts until October 13, 2017.

Dungeons 3 is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com. Pre-order now to get 15% off, the exclusive Throne Room DLC, the game's OST and access to the game's beta.
Return to the dungeon management saga to rule your underground kingdom alongside the dark elf priestess Thayla, then wage war against the surface lands with an army of despicable, smelly, occasionally unruly creatures. This entry introduces randomly generated levels for the first time in the series, for more unpredictable, chaotically evil fun.

<div class="embedded_video">
<iframe class="embedded_video__file" width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ysowXNr6ogQ?wmode=opaque&amp;rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
Post edited October 05, 2017 by maladr0Id
lostwolfe: gog staff:

if this is "in beta" shouldn't it have a great, big "in development" sticker on it?

if not, well, all hail the slippery slope?

and of course, that old chestnut. buy into the beta. why ever would we want to hire competent beta testers who have studied for that job when we could rake in bonus money by making our fans "test" for us.

i'm not into dungeons at all, but if i were, this would be a super duper hard pass for me. as always, please feel free to tell kalypso that they lost at least one sale this way.
wvpr: This is advertised as a pre-order. That means it has an expected release date approaching soon. Access to the beta is a bonus they're throwing in with the other advantages of pre-orders, like being able to take a blind gamble on a game's quality and support instead of waiting to see if it's worth the money.

All pre-orders are in development up until release. It's a rare exception that isn't. GOG uses the "in development" label for games that aren't as far along in their development cycle, where the expectation of the buyer is that they will enjoy the game as-is and not feel horribly cheated if the final update falls short of original promises. A pre-order promises a finished retail release with advertised features on a scheduled date.
I get what you re saying, but it is not finished right now, is it?

EDIT:// Okay, I take it back it seems GOG is using that label exactly as you described.
Post edited September 22, 2017 by Tarhiel
Edit: Maybe not.
Post edited September 22, 2017 by user deleted
lostwolfe: gog staff:

if this is "in beta" shouldn't it have a great, big "in development" sticker on it?

if not, well, all hail the slippery slope?

and of course, that old chestnut. buy into the beta. why ever would we want to hire competent beta testers who have studied for that job when we could rake in bonus money by making our fans "test" for us.

i'm not into dungeons at all, but if i were, this would be a super duper hard pass for me. as always, please feel free to tell kalypso that they lost at least one sale this way.
Honestly the pre-order tag is much better consumer-wise than the InDev tag. InDev only gives you 14-days to refund the game for any reason. Pre-orders can be refunded for any reason anytime before the game is released regardless of how much time is passed. If an InDev game is never released you may never see your money again (up to GoG) - a pre-order is never released/cancelled/delayed you can get your money back. This pre-order grants you access to the beta like a InDev but grants you the protections of a pre-order.
Post edited September 22, 2017 by tremere110
wvpr: This is advertised as a pre-order. That means it has an expected release date approaching soon. Access to the beta is a bonus they're throwing in with the other advantages of pre-orders, like being able to take a blind gamble on a game's quality and support instead of waiting to see if it's worth the money.

All pre-orders are in development up until release. It's a rare exception that isn't. GOG uses the "in development" label for games that aren't as far along in their development cycle, where the expectation of the buyer is that they will enjoy the game as-is and not feel horribly cheated if the final update falls short of original promises. A pre-order promises a finished retail release with advertised features on a scheduled date.
i get what you mean. it just seems like it's in a weird, in-between place.

you can pre-order it!
but it's in beta!

for me, "in beta" feels like it ought to mean, "we're still developing this."
pre-ordering feels like it ought to mean, "we're done, but haven't shipped yet." or, "we're not QUITE done, but we're very close and will ship soon. you don't need to do anything, just relax until the game arrives."

mixing the two together like this feels...a little slimy, i guess?

i'd "accept" this if: you got the game, "beta'd" it and could refund it at any point PRIOR to release for whatever reason. [because, let's face it, if it's a "beta" then the whole game could change behind your back and without warning between beta and release. this is not likely, but...]
Bui-Tur: C'mon, it's really silly, to try kicking the dead horse over and over again.
Keep calm and play Dungeon Keeper (not even War of the Overlord).
Agreed. I watched part of the video for this, and I couldn't stop thinking that it looked like a rehash of Dungeon Keeper 2, which was beautifully executed.
Point_Man: Given the way Kalypso seems to treat its games here on GOG and GOG customers themselves, i think it's a good idea to avoid this.
What did they do? Are their games on Gog outdated or something? O_o
Point_Man: Given the way Kalypso seems to treat its games here on GOG and GOG customers themselves, i think it's a good idea to avoid this.
phaolo: What did they do? Are their games on Gog outdated or something? O_o
I remembered that Omerta & one of the Tropico games (maybe 4) was missing updates. I'm not sure if that's the case anymore. I tried looking around, don't see much info either way. There are some Omerta reviews saying the game is still broken & one was saying Steam got a patch that never came over to GOG. Not sure if that's accurate.

Really i can't find the tropico posts i remembered reading before right now. If Omerta is the same version number on Steam then it's not really a GOG specific issue. I'll edit the previous post so i don't misinform people.
I found the humour and references in Dungeons 2 very unfunny. I might give this a chance, but certainly not as a preorder.
This reminds me that I wish the original Dungeons game was available here. It's at that other store, I wonder if there's a way to get it here?
wvpr: A pre-order promises a finished retail release with advertised features on a scheduled date.
With all due respect, this is entirely wrong on several counts.
lostwolfe: for me, "in beta" feels like it ought to mean, "we're still developing this."
pre-ordering feels like it ought to mean, "we're done, but haven't shipped yet." or, "we're not QUITE done, but we're very close and will ship soon. you don't need to do anything, just relax until the game arrives."
Many, many releases are worked on up to the release date or after. They'll put a final release version out, but they'll immediately move on to fixing known bugs, completing DLC, or even finishing features they couldn't squeeze into the retail version. They could also have a final version going through extensive testing that they aren't prepared to release yet. They could also be contractually prevented from releasing the final version early but not from releasing an earlier version as a preview.

The major difference between this kind of pre-order incentive and the in-development label is that pre-orders emphasize the expected release of the final game, while in-development emphasizes the early access and ongoing development of the game. In both cases you're paying for a game before its retail release, but you're paying for different incentives.

The line between the two is vague. At the right time in development, they can be effectively the same thing under different names. But throwing in beta access to a pre-order isn't any shadier than the questionable concept of pre-orders has always been.
Like always I want to know the format of the soundtrack, no mention of FLAC so I'm guessing MP3 Only
wvpr: A pre-order promises a finished retail release with advertised features on a scheduled date.
lazydog: With all due respect, this is entirely wrong on several counts.
It's not. Also, you don't say why this wrong.
Normallywise a pre-order is a finished product or at least a rtm version, which only needs a few finishing touches here and there. It's definitely not a beta or so. I think you mistake it with early access, as in early access a game can be beta or even alpha and you get access to a finished part of the game while the dev is still busy with developing. This happened with Divinity: Original Sin 2. During development you could play an alpha version of the first act, while the game itself was still in development. Then after some while Larian came with a date when the game was finished and now the full version is available.
lazydog: With all due respect, this is entirely wrong on several counts.
candesco: It's not. Also, you don't say why this wrong.
Normallywise a pre-order is a finished product or at least a rtm version, which only needs a few finishing touches here and there. It's definitely not a beta or so. I think you mistake it with early access, as in early access a game can be beta or even alpha and you get access to a finished part of the game while the dev is still busy with developing. This happened with Divinity: Original Sin 2. During development you could play an alpha version of the first act, while the game itself was still in development. Then after some while Larian came with a date when the game was finished and now the full version is available.
I respect your wish to believe otherwise, but I stand by my original point.

I cannot even be bothered trying to explain why pre-ordering a product actually is seriously bad for you: the paying customer, because you and others will just keep doing it.

Shop as usual, and avoid panic buying, ffs.
This strategy of "Preorder X game and get Y game for free" must be generating some significant sales. Seems to be a new norm around here. I know it got me to preorder Little Nightmares to get Inside. I probably would have waited for a sale otherwise.