It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Big Apple is rotten to the core. Take a big bite.

<span class="bold">Beat Cop</span>, a retro-styled, nonlinear adventure about beating the odds and perils of 80's Brooklyn, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 10% pre-order discount!

From NY detective to traffic warden, it's a long way to fall. And Jack Kelly didn't exactly land on his feet, either. With the false murder accusations ruining both his life and career, his only ticket to a decent existence is working the mean Brooklyn streets while looking for the real culprits.

The 10% discount will last until the game's release on March 30.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vdOkJpBgs_I
Post edited March 30, 2017 by maladr0Id
almabrds: Instead of assuming things, you could've asked me why I think the title is awful.
Instead, you decided to question my intelligence. How mature you are, sir.
maladr0Id was polite, you could learn a thing or two with him.

It has nothing to do with my knowledge of the language. I dislike the title because it's so generic to add the word 'Cop', in a game where they appear. And not just for video games, in other medias, as well.
An excellent movie about a NY cop is called 'Serpico'. There's no excuse to lazily throw a 'cop' in the name, even if the protagonist is one. Serpico, the Cop (1973). No, just no.

Feel free to disagree, but be respectful, ok? It's my opinion.

Thanks.
It's pretty generic to name games after lead character too. Beat Cop is a fine name. Just read the description on the store page. Basically he has been demoted to beat cop from detective. It makes sense given the description.
low rated
DampSquib: So, not a dance game then...
Attachments:
dc.jpeg (74 Kb)
tinyE:
guppy44: Your new avatar caught me off guard. Impostor!!
Too many layers.
almabrds: Instead of assuming things, you could've asked me why I think the title is awful.

It has nothing to do with my knowledge of the language. I dislike the title because it's so generic to add the word 'Cop', in a game where they appear. And not just for video games, in other medias, as well.
An excellent movie about a NY cop is called 'Serpico'. There's no excuse to lazily throw a 'cop' in the name, even if the protagonist is one. Serpico, the Cop (1973). No, just no.

Thanks.
qwixter: It's pretty generic to name games after lead character too.
That's a matter of opinion.
I think it's fine, unless the name of the protagonist is very common.
Post edited March 24, 2017 by almabrds
DampSquib: Yes, i have cookies.
tinyE:
:P rhythm based DLC incoming! or weird spin off....dance cop, - cop cop revolution.
low rated
Anyone here remember "Cop Rock"?

I think they only aired like one episode and don't you know, I saw it. :P
Cool to see Brooklyn setting in the game. They should have invited Night Club to work on the soundtrack (they made music for Moonbeam City).
Post edited March 24, 2017 by shmerl
I keep a lazy eye on this one, it could turn out to be very good.
Actually I only understood it as beat as an adjective. I found "beat cop" googling. The funnier interpretations are the "music game" ones. Maybe a DLC Can make it real. After all they say there's humour in the game.

Is TinyE being downvoted just because it's him? It's really time to change this voting system blue guys.
Post edited March 24, 2017 by Cecco
high rated
Cecco: I like your definition. And I don't like "outraged" reactions of people who can't even check. These days whatever you do someone is gonna be "triggered".
almabrds: I'm not. But you sure wish I was triggered, don't you?

Cecco: No offense, but your English is. From Urban Dictionary:A beat cop is a police officer who walks, rides, cycles, or drives in a specific neighborhood, known as a “beat.”

Thanks.
Or maybe don't use a word like "disgusting" if what you meant was lazy.
almabrds: I'm not. But you sure wish I was triggered, don't you?

Instead of assuming things, you could've asked me why I think the title is awful.

Thanks.
omega64: Or maybe don't use a word like "disgusting" if what you meant was lazy.
Disgusting is not incorrect, in this case.
I could've used a synonym that doesn't sound so harsh, like distasteful.
But I think everyone got what I meant, it's not necessary to edit my old post.
Cecco: I am waiting for an underground cyberpunk point and click adventure called the Virtuaverse. From the previews I have seen I am sure they are nailing it. I have spoken with one of the authors, Victor Love/Master Boot Records, and it's also probably going to be a free game.
Virtuaverse preview video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IV23hpul6qs
This is a good way to do pixellated art and games IMHO.
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye on the game.

Also, in case you happen to talk to Victor Love again: the soundtrack sounds gorgeous. I hope to see it at BandCamp when the game is out. E.g., I would have never bought Sublevel Zero (probably a great game, just not my genre), but as soon as I saw/heard the trailer, I knew I had to have the soundtrack. + Bandcamp with it's "pay (almost) what you want" attitude would fit the free game idea of Virtuaverse well - and yeah, if the game pans out as it looks now, hopefully someone up there will notice the devs and offer them a good job.
almabrds: But I think everyone got what I meant, it's not necessary to edit my old post.
No, I'd bet everyone got that you thought the title of this game was about beating policemen. Some of the repliers were more polite than others, but it seems to me you clearly failed to communicate what you meant.
almabrds: But I think everyone got what I meant, it's not necessary to edit my old post.
muntdefems: No, I'd bet everyone got that you thought the title of this game was about beating policemen. Some of the repliers were more polite than others, but it seems to me you clearly failed to communicate what you meant.
By "Everyone", of course I meant most of the people. And it certainly seems to be the case, otherwise a lot of people would've quoted me and shared their thoughts, asked me to clarify, etc.
Not everyone opened this thread and read it, to begin with.
Very few didn't get it, and I think I explained well, in my previous post.
After all being done and said, I think editing my first post is unnecessary.
I'm not changing it.
almabrds: By "Everyone", of course I meant most of the people. And it certainly seems to be the case, otherwise a lot of people would've quoted me and shared their thoughts, asked me to clarify, etc.
I'm counting 4 people in this thread who did. 5 if I include myself. They may not be "a lot", but they're a hint that there was something 'odd' in your first post.

almabrds: Very few didn't get it, and I think I explained well, in my previous post.
...or simply ignored your post. Silence doesn't always mean acceptance. Anyway, I read your well-put explanation, and I can agree to your reasons for not liking this game's title. But 'disgusting' is not the appropriate word in this case, whether you like it or not.

almabrds: After all being done and said, I think editing my first post is unnecessary.
I'm not changing it.
Okaaaay...