It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

truhlik: Yep, at least game will be polished one year after release.
I can easily wait for releasing it on GoG.
Not sure you'll be able to get the DLCs for free on GOG as they claim initial backers can do now. Also not sure if they won't go back on their words again, if the game is a huge hit. Epic can just splash some more money for exclusivity.
altk: Not sure you'll be able to get the DLCs for free on GOG as they claim initial backers can do now.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/phoenix_point_aims_for_the_feet_is_epic_exclusive_for_a_year/post59
altk: Not sure you'll be able to get the DLCs for free on GOG as they claim initial backers can do now.
BreOl72: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/phoenix_point_aims_for_the_feet_is_epic_exclusive_for_a_year/post59
So I should believe them now? Unless they already have contractual agreements with GoG and Steam, there is no reason to believe any claims they make about far future.
altk: there is no reason to believe any claims they make about far future.
Well then...discussion done.
PaterAlf: As a backer I'm really angry and disappointed at the moment. I gave them my money to create the game and trusted them to fulfil their part of the deal. And yet they changed a core promise of their campaign without any need (again a big difference to other projects that failed or couldn't fulfil certain stuff because of technical reasons) and now I have to wait another year before I can play it without the need to sign up to another store and install another useless launcher (which I definitely won't do).
TerriblePurpose: I suggest getting a refund. I nothing else, it will demonstrate that you as a customer are not willing to accept them moving the goalposts after they've got your money. Plus, it will take money out of their pockets right now. I'd also suggest waiting until it finally appears on GOG, and since you'll have already waited for a year, wait a little longer for a good discount. Then buy, and e-mail the devs and point out that you bought it at a steep discount, thus they made far less money than they would have if they'd just fulfilled their promises in the first place. There's not much else you can do. But I personally am going to wait and wait an wait until I can grab the full edition of this game for less than 10 bucks. Not that I think it will make fuck-all difference to them, but if enough of us do it, maybe they'll actually notice.
Unfortunately getting a refund isn't a good option as well. Refunds won't get handled by Fig who collected the money. To get a refund I should give my credit card details to a third-party-company I know next to nothing about. I don't feel comfortable with that.

Also they won't refund you in the currency you pledged in. Which means because of currency conversion I will get back about 10% (didn't check the exact currency conversion) less than I paid to them.

I wrote them a mail and told them how I feel about the whole move and that I won't support any of their future projects. Guess that's all I can do.
TerriblePurpose: I suggest getting a refund. I nothing else, it will demonstrate that you as a customer are not willing to accept them moving the goalposts after they've got your money. Plus, it will take money out of their pockets right now. I'd also suggest waiting until it finally appears on GOG, and since you'll have already waited for a year, wait a little longer for a good discount. Then buy, and e-mail the devs and point out that you bought it at a steep discount, thus they made far less money than they would have if they'd just fulfilled their promises in the first place. There's not much else you can do. But I personally am going to wait and wait an wait until I can grab the full edition of this game for less than 10 bucks. Not that I think it will make fuck-all difference to them, but if enough of us do it, maybe they'll actually notice.
PaterAlf: Unfortunately getting a refund isn't a good option as well. Refunds won't get handled by Fig who collected the money. To get a refund I should give my credit card details to a third-party-company I know next to nothing about. I don't feel comfortable with that.

Also they won't refund you in the currency you pledged in. Which means because of currency conversion I will get back about 10% (didn't check the exact currency conversion) less than I paid to them.

I wrote them a mail and told them how I feel about the whole move and that I won't support any of their future projects. Guess that's all I can do.
The letter you wrote, other backers seeking refunds, more backers contacting the devs to express how important the change in platform is... All this is how to drive home to the devs how their business decision is affecting their customers. What we will all find out over time is how many people are as unhappy with the change as you are.

FWIW, I sympathize with you and I think the company should take pains to make sure you are paid back in full.

Most of my arguing in this thread is aimed at countering the statements that this is illegal, that it amounts to fraud, that the devs are evil, etc. The dev is a game designer and businesperson who clearly did not think changing the platform the game will be released on was all that big a deal. It seems like he is finding out otherwise from his backers. But, nobody is going to win a fraud complaint at the FTC. Nobody can prove that the change of platform caused them "damage" legally speaking. And with the offer of refunds and extra keys on other platforms down the road, the devs are going to be pretty bulletproof when it comes to the law.

I hope you get your money back, PaterAlf.
Linko64: I don't recall seeing familiar statements of disdain when Thronebreaker was announced as an exclusive.
tomimt: A lot of GOG users tend to turn a blind eye if it's GOG doing the exclusivity. I haven't seen a lot of moaning about Diablo being exclusive here. Not here at least.
The main issue for me it's that when we backed the game we had the option to Steam or GOG, then when they made the deal with Microsoft there was no limitation.

Now because a new contract it's in place I have to wait one year if I want to play in the plataform of choice or, if I want to play on release, use a service that I don't want to use. For me it feels forced, I would have prefer a deal like the Metro Exodus.

And for me this is different from the games you are mention because those, as far as I know, never were advertised or sold for other platforms (in case of Diablo I think that this is the first time that it's released as download).

They can release where they want but this "now you can take it here and here and now you don't" it's not a good thing.
Post edited March 13, 2019 by Grimlock
There's maybe 3 or 4 games I'm looking forward to this year and one of them (Phoenix Point) just got punted from GOG for a year.

Yes, PC gaming is in a wonderful state. Just when you thought Uplay and Steam were bad guys, an even bigger one shows up and snags what few games were left for open or DRM-free distro. Good times.

Well, just saved myself another 30 space-bucks.
PaterAlf: Unfortunately getting a refund isn't a good option as well. Refunds won't get handled by Fig who collected the money. To get a refund I should give my credit card details to a third-party-company I know next to nothing about. I don't feel comfortable with that.

Wow, that sucks. I guess all you can do is let them know, as you noted. I hope you find a better solution.

TerriblePurpose: Wow, that sucks. I guess all you can do is let them know, as you noted. I hope you find a better solution.
If refunding is not an option for the reasons given, there's not much else you can do than sitting it out.
Todays AMA on the Phoenix Point subreddit will be interesting, to say the least.

Unfortunately, the refund system sucks, and it seems it is going to hurt you (you will lose money with the exchange rate in any case) more than Snapshot Games.
I decided to keep my pledge so that I can still get my game when it is released on GOG. This doesn't mean I'm not upset; I'm really pissed. This was a mean and greedy move, and there's no way Snapshot is going to fix this and recover from the shit storm without the use of time-travelling technology devices.
But unfortunately not much else can be done right now...

Some good news: Xenonauts 2 will be released tomorrow. It may not have the same budget/quality as Phoenix Point, but it is done by honest and trusty developers who care about their players.
EDIT: Xenonauts 2 is not officially released tomorrow, but that's the expected date for early access launch.
EDIT AGAIN: Xenonauts 2 early access launch has been delayed.
Post edited March 14, 2019 by Lone_Scout
misteryo: The letter you wrote, other backers seeking refunds, more backers contacting the devs to express how important the change in platform is... All this is how to drive home to the devs how their business decision is affecting their customers. What we will all find out over time is how many people are as unhappy with the change as you are.

FWIW, I sympathize with you and I think the company should take pains to make sure you are paid back in full.

Most of my arguing in this thread is aimed at countering the statements that this is illegal, that it amounts to fraud, that the devs are evil, etc. The dev is a game designer and businesperson who clearly did not think changing the platform the game will be released on was all that big a deal. It seems like he is finding out otherwise from his backers. But, nobody is going to win a fraud complaint at the FTC. Nobody can prove that the change of platform caused them "damage" legally speaking. And with the offer of refunds and extra keys on other platforms down the road, the devs are going to be pretty bulletproof when it comes to the law.

I hope you get your money back, PaterAlf.
I agree with most that you wrote. But there's one exception. Fig is not just a crowdfunding platform like Kickstarter. You can also give them money as an investor (minimum investment would be $1000). Not sure how many investors they had and how much money these people invested, but I think they might have a problem with the game not releasing on Steam and GOG (mostly Steam). And they might even be able to proove that the developers move hurt them financially.

Really looking forward to the AMA tonight. That should really get interesting. *walks away to prepare popcorn*
PaterAlf: Really looking forward to the AMA tonight. That should really get interesting. *walks away to prepare popcorn*
Will you give a high level summary somewhere of the more interesting questions and answers? i don't browse reddit, but I'm curious what the more literate people will ask and how/whether the devs try to squirm around any admission of wrong doing.
PaterAlf: Really looking forward to the AMA tonight. That should really get interesting. *walks away to prepare popcorn*
Bookwyrm627: Will you give a high level summary somewhere of the more interesting questions and answers? i don't browse reddit, but I'm curious what the more literate people will ask and how/whether the devs try to squirm around any admission of wrong doing.
I'll try my best. Have to work till 11pm tonight, but I'll try to write a summery tomorrow.
Bookwyrm627: Will you give a high level summary somewhere of the more interesting questions and answers? i don't browse reddit, but I'm curious what the more literate people will ask and how/whether the devs try to squirm around any admission of wrong doing.
PaterAlf: I'll try my best. Have to work till 11pm tonight, but I'll try to write a summery tomorrow.
Thanks. I'm curious how things turn out, and you're definitely among the more level-headed and trustworthy of those that could report back.