It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We're barely even winded.

Today yet another awesome publisher, Paradox Interactive, becomes part of the most gamer-friendly DRM-free catalog around. We're kicking off the partnership with a weeklong 50% discount on four of the titles:

Europa Universalis
Hearts of Iron
Crusader Kings Complete -50%
Majesty Gold HD -50%
Majesty 2 Collection -50%
Victoria Complete -50%

If you've always wanted to give the genre a try, Europa Universalis is probably the best starting point, but we know grand strategy can be daunting. That's why you can also drop by our <span class="bold">Twitch.tv/gogcom</span> channel, where we'll be streaming the game live with Quill18, this Tuesday, February 17th, 7pm GMT / 2pm EST / 11am PST.
It's a fine way to get acquainted.

If you're a fan of complex strategy playgrounds, you can look forward to a trickle of more grand strategy classics from paragons of the genre, Paradox Interactive, coming to the coolest DRM-free game store near you!
Post edited February 17, 2015 by Konrad
RyaReisender: An RTS is not a strategy game?
tinyE: Good point. XD
Allow me to elaborate. When I think RTS I think AoE or Starcraft. When I think strategy I think Hearts of Iron or anything Sid Meyer. See the difference?
It's more like AoE / Starcraft. It's nothing like Hearts of Iron or anything from Sid Meyer.
But unlike AoE / Starcraft it also has RPG elements. And is a lot harder than either.
DukeNukemForever: As far as I remember the main game was still drm-free, but not the expansions (something like that). With the masses of DLCs it makes also no sense to bring it here as long as there are new DLCs in the pipe. But I really hope someday we will see the complete edition here.
I don't care about the DLCs. I rather they get the main game at least, better than nothing at all, and they can leave the DLCs until they make some kind of DLC edition that has them all.

I'm thinking of getting Crusader Kings 1, I assume it's easier than the sequel so might be a good thing to train on? Now that Paradox is here I can certainly wait until the sequel is released anyway.
Post edited February 17, 2015 by Nirth
Allow me to elaborate. When I think RTS I think AoE or Starcraft. When I think strategy I think Hearts of Iron or anything Sid Meyer. See the difference?
RyaReisender: It's more like AoE / Starcraft. It's nothing like Hearts of Iron or anything from Sid Meyer.
But unlike AoE / Starcraft it also has RPG elements. And is a lot harder than either.
Cool. Thank you friend. :D
Just noticed that HoI 1 is 100% more expensive here then on gamersgate.
high rated
RyaReisender: An RTS is not a strategy game?
It's different than anything you've played. You build things like Starcraft, but you don't control your units. You give them the best chance to do their job and you reward them for it.

For instance, you can build a guild to recruit a fighter. You can then set a 1000 gold bounty on a giant evil medusa that is plaguing the area to the south. That fighter decides he wants the money, so he travels to the south and get utterly destroyed.

So then you build an item shop and a weapon shop and research some good tools for the knight. You put 1200 coin bounty to explore an area with weak monsters. This time, you build 3 knights. Your knights will think "I like 1200 coins more!" They'll go out and kill a few low-levels on their way to the 1200 coin area. They'll get some XP and some money, then go back to the item shop and spend their money on a Ring of Defense, a Longsword +1, a Plate Armor +1 and some healing potions.

Then they'll go off to fight the medusa, but you think "They might still lose!" So you build an inn half way there. The knights fight, one dies, two flee into your inn and rest up. They're out of healing potions, so you research healing potions at the inn and set a 2000 gold bounty to explore an area to the east. They're happy to do that, collect some money, and then upgrade their equipment, get more potions, and then tackle that medusa again. This time, they are victorious!

That's how the game plays. It's one of my favorites. You don't control anybody. You just build buildings, research, and set bounties for exploration or for heads.

Edit: As an added bonus, this will work on your notoriously poor machine. :)
Post edited February 17, 2015 by Tallima
::throws wallet at GoG::

Here... just take it... just take it already.

:D
my favourite publisher and game developer joins GoG! YES!
Cool. Pretty crazy how we keep seeing publishers appear. I hope we'll see more Warner Bros. and of course LA/Disney games soon.
Most of these games look very risk-like...
Konrad: Right, sorry about that - we had a collective brainfart.
Those two games simply aren't available on Steam, and you know what they say about people who assume...

edit: They make an ass of u and me.
No worries, it is fixed now. I will remove the links
Fricking awesome! Gonna do a big ol' grab this morning, lots of stuff I want. Top of the list is Victoria, because I like the idea of being a pith-helmeted, heavily moustashed imperialist. :) Hope we get the sequel!

Well done GOG, you're really bringing the top players on board!
Oh crap.

After everything I said few years ago, I think it's time to eat my hat.

Well played Paradox Interactive and GOG.

*scrontch* *scrontch*
Btw, LGR did a great review of Europa Universalis. That should help to explain the differences between the usual realtime strategy games and Paradoxs grand strategy titles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3HeSSzbYO4.
SHADOW-XIII: my favourite publisher and game developer joins GoG! YES!
I agree with you! Paradox has some great stuff. Unfortunately, a lot of it is very tied into Steam. In fact, didn't Paradox somewhat recently say that all of their multiplayer titles will be steam-integrated?
Not that much into strategy games (prefer RPGs and shooters), but this has me excited as I've heard nothing but good things about Paradox Interactive. Any suggestions on a good first game for a newbie?

ETA: If it helps a recommendation, back in the day I couldn't begin to count how many hundreds of hours I've spent on Civ 1 & 2 and SMAC.
Post edited February 17, 2015 by gruedragon