It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GR00T: No one here knows what GOG uses as criteria...
Hm, wasn't this one?
GR00T: No one here knows what GOG uses as criteria...
ariaspi: Hm, wasn't this one?
nah, its this one
Attachments:
Post edited January 09, 2018 by amok
ariaspi: Hm, wasn't this one?
amok: nah, its this one
Ah yes, you're right! That's the new method.
Since GOG started screwing with including galaxy with installers, I've basically stopped buying here and gone with steam or humble, unless it's a game I have tons of money in expansions like Dungeons 2 here. This just reminds me that GOG really doesn't give a wooden nickle what their customers want and have changed into something far different from what they were.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... GOG has to much curation while Steam doesn't have enough. There is a middle ground here.

The middle ground to this issue is simple, GOG should allow any game by established publishers/developers that already have a product on GOG. Only NEW indie companies should face curation, because 99% of your shovelware is going to come from companies not already approved on GOG.

This would be a nice happy balance, but I think the bigger issue here is GOG simply can't effectively manage releasing more than a handful of games at a time which leads to decisions like this were games that may not sell as much are rejected. The solution to this is to automate the entire process as much as possible so that all GOG has to do is click a button and immediately approve a game for sale.
Post edited January 09, 2018 by BKGaming
deleted
Fairfox: GOGie need to be less frigid.
so does the forum :P
jcdenton11: Since GOG started screwing with including galaxy with installers, I've basically stopped buying here and gone with steam or humble, unless it's a game I have tons of money in expansions like Dungeons 2 here. This just reminds me that GOG really doesn't give a wooden nickle what their customers want and have changed into something far different from what they were.
It's really not that hard to grab the classic installers or uncheck an option in the installer settings. I'll never really understand this mentality. Either one still provides more value than Steam if you care about installers.
jcdenton11: Since GOG started screwing with including galaxy with installers, I've basically stopped buying here and gone with steam or humble, unless it's a game I have tons of money in expansions like Dungeons 2 here. This just reminds me that GOG really doesn't give a wooden nickle what their customers want and have changed into something far different from what they were.
BKGaming: It's really not that hard to grab the classic installers or uncheck an option in the installer settings. I'll never really understand this mentality. Either one still provides more value than Steam if you care about installers.
Yeah, I consider myself a crazy anti-DRM zealot but even I'm fine with GOG including Galaxy in the installers when there's an easy option to get 'classic' installers.
Meanwhile GOG has no problem in accepting outdated games with missing DLCs and features. Figures.
eiii: GOG should be more honest in their rejection letters and just say that they don't expect the game to make a profit for them, sure. But they have good reason to expect the game not to break even.
Starmaker:
It wasn't me saying that. :P

Gilozard: They've stated in the past that every game has to go through testing, and for indie or new games sometimes they find bugs the dev needs to fix.

GOG guarantees support because they do their own inhouse testing. That's for every game, not just old ones. They wouldn't provide the support guarantee without the testing. The process for new games is a bit shorter than for old games but not by much, because they follow the same procedure for every game.
It cannot be too much testing when they release installers which do not even install the game. ;)
BKGaming: It's really not that hard to grab the classic installers or uncheck an option in the installer settings. I'll never really understand this mentality. Either one still provides more value than Steam if you care about installers.
SirPrimalform: Yeah, I consider myself a crazy anti-DRM zealot but even I'm fine with GOG including Galaxy in the installers when there's an easy option to get 'classic' installers.
Eh, with galaxy blurring the lines and making things a bigger pain to update, I've thrown in the towel to the DRM-free purist I was for the better part of a decade. Just don't have the time or will to fight anymore, and barring a month long internet outage, I can play my games with no problems.
SirPrimalform: Yeah, I consider myself a crazy anti-DRM zealot but even I'm fine with GOG including Galaxy in the installers when there's an easy option to get 'classic' installers.
jcdenton11: Eh, with galaxy blurring the lines and making things a bigger pain to update, I've thrown in the towel to the DRM-free purist I was for the better part of a decade. Just don't have the time or will to fight anymore, and barring a month long internet outage, I can play my games with no problems.
How is it a bigger pain to grab the Galaxy-free installers? The process for me is the same it's always been, but then I'm still using the GOG downloader so my install workflow really hasn't changed since I started on GOG.
jcdenton11: Eh, with galaxy blurring the lines and making things a bigger pain to update, I've thrown in the towel to the DRM-free purist I was for the better part of a decade. Just don't have the time or will to fight anymore, and barring a month long internet outage, I can play my games with no problems.
Gilozard: How is it a bigger pain to grab the Galaxy-free installers? The process for me is the same it's always been, but then I'm still using the GOG downloader so my install workflow really hasn't changed since I started on GOG.
I've had problems with patches being incompatible with versions, and sometimes it's not clear what has been updated when I go to a dotted game, might be a new linux/mac version or something not relevant to me.
jcdenton11: sometimes it's not clear what has been updated when I go to a dotted game, might be a new linux/mac version or something not relevant to me.
That strikes me as nothing at all to do with Galaxy. That problem cropped up with the introduction of Mac and Linux support and GOG failing to filter updates by OS. There should be checkboxes in the account settings where you can express which OS(s) you're interested in updates for. This would have been a problem regardless of whether GOG had started bundling Galaxy (optionally) or even if they hadn't developed Galaxy at all.

Aaaanyway, let's get back to discussing the travesty that is GOG passing on Opus Magnum. Personally, I would never buy the game on Steam and I've had enough of Humble's BS (doing things like selling games with a DRM-free download and Steam key and then removing the download). I wish Zach had gone for somewhere like itch.io if he was only going to support one DRM-free store.
Post edited January 10, 2018 by SirPrimalform