It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

LinustheBold: ... The Engi ship should come with a self-destruct button. Or maybe it does, and it's labelled The Boss Fight.
That button is available in each of the ships. :D

IAmSinistar: ... as I can't wait to try it out tonight!
New achievement unlocked: Just One More Player! :D
Post edited April 29, 2014 by Thespian*
Many modern FPSs like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor have short singleplayer campaigns, normally 3-5 hours

Even some well-known RPGs are short enough to finish in a day, if you can play 15-20 hours without stop to sleep. Some sugestions are Fable, KOTOR and Jade Empire.

Driftmoon is short too, don't remember how much time is needed but I guess 2-4 hours maximum
None of the Anomaly games (Anomaly Warzone Earth, Anomaly Warzone Earth: Mobile Campaign, Anomaly Korea and Anomaly 2) are particularly large. If I had time, I could have easily finished each of them within 5 hours. These might not include trials, challenges or whatever, but so is the case for some of the games you have listed.
Post edited April 29, 2014 by Grargar
interesting thread.
was going to ask about short games in general ( and what to avoid for those who didn't like them for any reason ie- price/game length)
Thespian*: New achievement unlocked: Just One More Player! :D
Wow, FTL is hard as dried corn! I'm getting my ass handed to me on Easy, can't even make it through the second star system map yet. Does the enemy encroachment happen as time passes, or only after each of your jumps?

gandalf.nho: Driftmoon is short too, don't remember how much time is needed but I guess 2-4 hours maximum
Sounds good, I'll put it on the list. I suspected that might be one of the games that qualified as well, thanks!

Grargar: None of the Anomaly games (Anomaly Warzone Earth, Anomaly Warzone Earth: Mobile Campaign, Anomaly Korea and Anomaly 2) are particularly large. If I had time, I could have easily finished each of them within 5 hours. These might not include trials, challenges or whatever, but so is the case for some of the games you have listed.
That sounds like a good addition. I'll pop the GOG released title on the list, with a caveat that all may qualify.

Niggles: was going to ask about short games in general ( and what to avoid for those who didn't like them for any reason ie- price/game length)
What kind of info are you looking for? I'd be glad to give my opinion, as no doubt others here would too.
IAmSinistar: Wow, FTL is hard as dried corn! I'm getting my ass handed to me on Easy, can't even make it through the second star system map yet. Does the enemy encroachment happen as time passes, or only after each of your jumps?
After each jump. IMO, you should focus on exploring more than trying to get to the end. Try all the dialogue options out. If something bad happens try it again the next time. Be sure to keep ahead of the fleet, pause frequently in combat and have fun dying (literally). The first few times I made it to Sector 2 was with only a few hull points and one crew left alive. Good times.
Post edited April 29, 2014 by Gydion
gandalf.nho: Driftmoon is short too, don't remember how much time is needed but I guess 2-4 hours maximum
IAmSinistar: Sounds good, I'll put it on the list. I suspected that might be one of the games that qualified as well, thanks!
Driftmoon is a short RPG, but it's definitely not 2-4 hours maximum (unless you do a speed run perhaps). More like 8-12.
Post edited April 29, 2014 by Leroux
Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold - Episode 1

I just completed this game, it took me just over 4.5 hrs total (doing everything I could and doing all the conversations), but I was taking breaks by doing stuff in other windows for a lot of that time, so if you're more focused it can be completed in under 3 hrs I expect (even if you still want to see all the conversations).

It's a pretty easy game and short, but I really enjoyed it and it has a lot of funny bits.
Post edited April 30, 2014 by 01kipper
IAmSinistar: Sounds good, I'll put it on the list. I suspected that might be one of the games that qualified as well, thanks!
Leroux: Driftmoon is a short RPG, but it's definitely not 2-4 hours maximum (unless you do a speed run perhaps). More like 8-12.
Got to agree with this. It took me about 14 hours, and admittedly I play RPG's fairly slowly and methodically, but it's definitely not a one day game (2-5 hours).

At the end of the day a good proportion of games 'can' be finished in 2-5 if you know before starting exactly what to do, or you ignore most of the content. However, I don't think they deserve to be classed as one day games.
IAmSinistar: Wow, FTL is hard as dried corn! I'm getting my ass handed to me on Easy, can't even make it through the second star system map yet. Does the enemy encroachment happen as time passes, or only after each of your jumps?
Each jump. And yes - take it slow. It's a game of resource management mainly. Focus on defence (shields / engine) upgrades first - the less you are hit the more money you have in the long run. I wrote a fairly longish strategy guide in the Forum, but am not linking you just yet - much of the fun of FTL is learning how to play and understanding the system.
Thanks for the further clarification on Driftmoon, sounds like it is a good deal longer than first anticipated. I'll take it back off.

Thanks also for the info on Fester Mudd, 01kipper, though I am avoiding putting episodic content on this list unless they are really stand-alone games overall.

Finally, thanks as well for the FTL advice. I'm glad to hear that I can strategise my jumps without feeling like the clock is against me, and it sounds like exercising the pause feature more will help too. So far I've been following the basic strategy of "missile out the enemy's shields then wipe out the weapons/engine", and generally it has worked well. The main game enders have been either running into a far superior enemy vessel or getting boarded.

One further question on the game - is there a way to "explore" a system, or is the event that first pops up when you enter one the only thing that will happen there?
IAmSinistar: One further question on the game - is there a way to "explore" a system, or is the event that first pops up when you enter one the only thing that will happen there?
The latter, though a few events can trigger further quests appearing on other systems, depending on your decisions. ;)

If you've got a ship system like "long range sensors" or you get info on the sector from an event, you may see icons on the jump points and learn in advance which systems have a ship in them or even where you'll encounter navigational hazards like pulsars, sun flares and such.

BTW, if you're given a blue colored response in a dialogue, always choose it, blue colors means you may use an special option you've got because of your ship configuration or the skills of some crew member, leading to better results that choosing a white (standard) response (in some situations, you'll get a positive consequence ONLY if you can select a blue response). ;)
Post edited April 30, 2014 by Thespian*
Thespian*: BTW, if you're given a blue colored response in a dialogue, always choose it, blue colors means you may use an special option you've got because of your ship configuration or the skills of some crew member, leading to better results that choosing a white (standard) response (in some situations, you'll get a positive consequence ONLY if you can select a blue response). ;)
Yah, games have taught me that the "special" dialogue choice is almost always the best one. :D

I have to say, this game is brutal even on Easy. I never seem to have quite enough money to upgrade and recruit as much as I need. I got to the third star map tonight, but once again was thoroughly decimated by a boarding party. I'll likely give the game a few more tries, but then it may be back to Don't Starve or Risk Of Rain again for my masochistic gaming. :)
IAmSinistar: ... I have to say, this game is brutal even on Easy. I never seem to have quite enough money to upgrade and recruit as much as I need. I got to the third star map tonight, but once again was thoroughly decimated by a boarding party. ...
The game's just full of little dirty strategies and make the pause button your best friend during battles. Buy better doors to slow boarders down and weaken them by opening the airlocks, or try luring and fighting them in your medbay so you're constantly healed, etc... or do nothing of this and recruit some fighter races. There's a thread in the subforum about this game being completely based on luck - it's not. It's all about making the best out of what is coming and your chances are high to finish it. It just takes some experience to know what's best under certain circumstances (what to buy, upgrade, fight ... apropos, don't avoid fights, they give you cash and stay as long as possible in one sector).
Post edited April 30, 2014 by DeMignon
IAmSinistar: Wow, FTL is hard as dried corn! I'm getting my ass handed to me on Easy, can't even make it through the second star system map yet.
I meant to respond to you earlier, but the road to hell is paved with unbought stuffed dogs. Thing is, there is a MAJOR learning curve to FTL. For a game that seems rather simple, the strategy can run very deep. It's not a controlling strategy, by which I mean that you can't simply load in whatever you'd like and then push into the unknown; it's a strategy that starts with understanding what you've got, and then taking the best advantage of that in every possible scenario.

As an example, in some (many) runs it's very hard to stock up on crewmates. If you're in one of those games, you won't need to buy a crew transporter; in fact, in the early stage of learning the game, the transporter seems a little trivial. But once you find yourself with a couple of unattached crew members, ideally of the mantis persuasion, the transporter is an amazing resource. You'll have level three sensors by then, of course. So when you find a ship with a minimal crew, you can take a few early shots and then transport your crew over to defeat the enemy in hand-to-mandible combat, which gives you way more resources.

And then if you happen to have the same setup but with a couple of Rock crew members to spare, you'll see the deadly combo you can play with the Fire Beam, if you can find one of those: take down the enemy shields, transport the Rock crew members into the weapons room (say), and use the Fire Beam to ignite the weapons bay and whatever is nearby. Rock aren't harmed by fire, but the enemy will be when they come to fight you. At this point, any ship whose shields you can take down is yours to plunder.

There are so many of these combinations - the more you explore, the more you'll learn. Also, the FTL wiki is a pretty good resource. My thinking is you should stick with Easy - it's a very hard game - until you win one against the Enemy Boss. Then try surviving on Normal. Good luck!
IAmSinistar: I have to say, this game is brutal even on Easy. I never seem to have quite enough money to upgrade and recruit as much as I need. I got to the third star map tonight, but once again was thoroughly decimated by a boarding party. I'll likely give the game a few more tries, but then it may be back to Don't Starve or Risk Of Rain again for my masochistic gaming. :)
You are meant to Pause all the way through battles; remember that you are controlling not only multiple systems, but also the actions of several crew.

Boarding: one of my first purchases in most games is to upgrade the Doors subsystem. The best place to fight boarders is in your Med Bay: best general strategy is to have your doors at level two (or three), move your crew as much as possible to the Med Bay, and then vent the rooms where the boarding party is to vacuum. As they pound through the Blast Doors, they'll take damage; then you can meet them while they're in a weakened state. Often they'll die before they can get to you anyway. The better your doors, the more they are slowed down.

Also, that Alien Spiders event is almost always bad news. If I don't have a Cloning Station, I won't do it.
Post edited April 30, 2014 by LinustheBold