It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Gilozard: Everyone posting here should go post about the TOS change in the TOS feedback thread.
Rixasha: Could you link to it? I can't find it.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/upcoming_update_to_gogcom_policies

It's the first sticky on the general discussion page.
Gilozard: Everyone posting here should go post about the TOS change in the TOS feedback thread.
Rixasha: Could you link to it? I can't find it.
Here you go: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/upcoming_update_to_gogcom_policies

This new change does concern me and I am holding off on any more purchases until there is clarification from GOG. I am a Penguin and I don't want to have to have an actual Windows installation just to install the games I want to play. I also like to use the data files for some games under Android, like the ScummVM compatible games. I hope this gets worked out soon.
They could at least get the /nogui working again so the installers would work in Wine (maybe?).

Or better, a CLI option to extract the installer.
Post edited January 03, 2015 by Daliz
Daliz: They could at least get the /nogui working again so the installers would work in Wine (maybe?).
In his last post Gowor said he was working on it.
Daliz: They could at least get the /nogui working again so the installers would work in Wine (maybe?).
Gersen: In his last post Gowor said he was working on it.
I think it might be a tricky fix seeing as the bug only happens on some setups.
I for one can run the new installers through WINE. It gives me a few (seemingly harmless) warnings at the end, but the data extraction works fully.

Tested on a Debian Sid amd64, with WINE 1.6.2, without the /nogui switch.

-----

Daliz: a CLI option to extract the installer.
I would welcome this with open arms!
Post edited January 04, 2015 by vv221
One very good use for the possibility to extract the installers is that they can be checked, now that there's no proper downloader with hash checking for linux (I remember something about the lgogdownloader not working for all titles after the new site launched?). Hopefully Galaxy client will do that once it arrives, also for Windows installers in Linux.

I've had some downloads go corrupt and I just checked my whole downloaded library with wine innounp.exe paired with find command (innoextract -t option didn't work, the whole thing just freezed when it found a corrupted installer).
Rixasha: I was thinking more about the words "reverse-engineer", "decompile", "disassemble", techniques without which we wouldn't know the passwords to the new installers.
drennan: These happen to be the same techniques without which we wouldn't have GOG itself – pretty much all patches and fixes that enable old games to function on current systems are the result of reverse engineering. This is also why I don't think GOG are going to be extremely strict regarding these clauses.
Yeah, we have to survive with this ugly binary patching as source code is still not available, even on the end of support of a software. Source code release, handing the support over to the community, on end-of-software-support-life-cycle should be standard for companies, if they decide to drop a product... (selling is still possible, see Arx Fatalis, they did it right)
Post edited January 04, 2015 by shaddim
Gersen: In his last post Gowor said he was working on it.
vv221: I think it might be a tricky fix seeing as the bug only happens on some setups.
I for one can run the new installers through WINE. It gives me a few (seemingly harmless) warnings at the end, but the data extraction works fully.

Tested on a Debian Sid amd64, with WINE 1.6.2, without the /nogui switch.
which game was that? any particular settings/installed programs? I get the error with wine 1.6.2 as well.

hmm, or is the "runtime error"-popup message that I am seeing, the "harmless warning" that you are describing?
Gowor: ...We want to avoid having the situation, when user will see a unprotected rar file, download and unpack it, and get a "broken" installation, because he didn't use the installer. ...
That is very understandable, but on some Linuxes it would greatly help to have the ability to tamper with the game data. As long as it would be clear that any result is totally out of GOG's responsibility this would be a benefit to the users.

Good that people here could extract the password. Only you could have published it right away and make it a bit easier for everyone. ;)
Post edited January 05, 2015 by Trilarion
Has anyone noticed if the new packing method is spreading?
I saw no official post regardig this issue, thus I'm wondering if GOG is waiting for the alarm to wear off and persist on the same track, or they are rethinking their strategy while paying attention to their "special" users and core values.
Gersen: If tomorrow GoG decide to switch to an installer that doesn't have an available extractor you could lose this "feature" altogether.
That is an excellent point. GOG is not providing me with the service I want for most of my purchases, they actually never did, I have no reason to complain (except my own foolishness) and since i'm unwilling to go through the only officially supported path (find a machine running windows, install there the thing and transfer back the required files) i should just stop ruining your fun.

Gersen: But the thing with the way how vague DMCA is worded is that it could also perfectly apply to using InnoExtract to extract the regular installer, nowhere in the EULA it is said that you are authorized to do that
Another excellent point, I never assumed I was probably breaking the law by tampering with the installer, the new TOS just makes it clearer. Again, no reason to complain on my part, actually I'm the one that should probably make an apology, and i certainly won't repeat my mistake. Ever.
Gersen: But the thing with the way how vague DMCA is worded is that it could also perfectly apply to using InnoExtract to extract the regular installer, nowhere in the EULA it is said that you are authorized to do that
Nothing says you can't use innoextract. It doesn't circumvent anything and doesn't tamper with anything. It doesn't even reverse engineer anything - innoestup is an open tool. EULA says nothing about prohibiting it, it's clear fair use and etc. etc. However vaguely DMCA-1201 and the like are worded, they are talking about DRM, and innosetup packages aren't DRMed.

However bypassing a password is a completely different story.
Post edited January 05, 2015 by shmerl
immi101: which game was that? any particular settings/installed programs? I get the error with wine 1.6.2 as well.
I’ll have to check next time I have access to the computer hosting my GOG library. It worked with a clean WINE prefix, nothing installed before the game itself.
hmm, or is the "runtime error"-popup message that I am seeing, the "harmless warning" that you are describing?
Might be, I can’t remember the exact error. A couple error messages (maybe just one) near the end of the install completion.
Sorry for wanting some recap, but this will affect direct unpacking only, or would it prevent Wine or PlayOnLinux from installing the games properly as well? There's been a lot of discussion, and I'm not sure if this point has been refuted or confirmed.
Gowor: ... On the other hand, I see you already figured out the algorithm for obtaining the password, so you are still able to do as much. I'm not going to say "Hey, good job hacking into our software guys!", but I'm not going to try and make the password harder either.
In principle this was a breach of GOG user agreement.

9. WHAT YOU CAN'T DO WITH GOG SERVICES
(c) Don't hack, harm, grief or misuse GOG services or GOG content.

I like that you see it actually quite relaxed but in principle GOG reserves itself the right to terminate the customership of people who want to see what's in the installers. And all this only so that support has a bit less to do. A simple: don't do it unless you know what you are doing and then you'll be on your own, might also been enough.