It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Pouyou-pouyou: No, Win10 users should be unaffected.
Elmofongo: This is just telling me to upgrade to Windows 10....
Thats the way of m$ release patches and mess things up, if w7 and w8 are 'destroyed' by M$ people have to start using w10.... :D

But the best way to go; is w10 all the way .... that is, if you don't mind other problems, make sure to have at least 2 TB drive space available for the updates and more features, w10 is till a mess, check all the topics, 99% are about how to fix this and how to aplly that and how to restore... .

Anyway W10 is okay as long as you dont game on it, turn of lots of 'phoning home', disable lots of 'features'
then its an okay windows :D, cause browsing sites , sending mail, maybe some minesweeper, or solitaire ,dont try to use too many games, dont try to install 100 games or more.... dont even buy that many games cause they wont work properly, at least that is what many google search results show, people complaining ...
Is this stuff bundled in the games themselves or from GOG installer end? I'm not 100% clear on that.

Either way it should be an easy 'fix' for the GOG team to apply the regedit fix for future downloads of their installers?

I myself have not seen an issue yet as i game offline, but i do use Windows 7 (and plan to stay with it going forward, using a dual boot Linux Mint/Windows 7 Pro system) for most of my gaming and just wanted to say thanks very much to the OP for making this thread. I have applied the regedit fix just to be sure.

I hope a blue sees the thread and GOG are able to comment on the problem as they could expect to get a lot of support questions from this issue!
ThorChild: Is this stuff bundled in the games themselves or from GOG installer end? I'm not 100% clear on that.
No, GOG installers don't fix this "bug" from MS (yet ?). You have to apply it separately so far.

ThorChild: Either way it should be an easy 'fix' for the GOG team to apply the regedit fix for future downloads of their installers?
It should, provided they are aware of it.

ThorChild: I myself have not seen an issue yet as i game offline, but i do use Windows 7 (and plan to stay with it going forward, using a dual boot Linux Mint/Windows 7 Pro system) for most of my gaming and just wanted to say thanks very much to the OP for making this thread.
You're welcome.

gamesfreak64: Anyway, win10 should become faster lighter and less resource hungry, after these years one usually makes progress and improves things, not so for MickySoft, they become larger, bloated and consume loads of RAM and HD space and still mess up , even today (✖╭╮✖)
This is Windows 10 : https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/a4/a3/f0a4a381582f7dd9281f1685cc801b6f.jpg
Each patch consists of removing one beam and putting another better one instead hoping all will be fine...
Elmofongo: This is just telling me to upgrade to Windows 10....
gamesfreak64: Thats the way of m$ release patches and mess things up, if w7 and w8 are 'destroyed' by M$ people have to start using w10.... :D

But the best way to go; is w10 all the way .... that is, if you don't mind other problems, make sure to have at least 2 TB drive space available for the updates and more features, w10 is till a mess, check all the topics, 99% are about how to fix this and how to aplly that and how to restore... .

Anyway W10 is okay as long as you dont game on it, turn of lots of 'phoning home', disable lots of 'features'
then its an okay windows :D, cause browsing sites , sending mail, maybe some minesweeper, or solitaire ,dont try to use too many games, dont try to install 100 games or more.... dont even buy that many games cause they wont work properly, at least that is what many google search results show, people complaining ...
I am gonna have to upgrade to Windows 10 eventually if Total War Warhammer 3 becomes a Windows 10 exclusive.
I think that you can remove gameuxlegacygdfs.dll in all games that still include it without problem (tested this with return to castle wolfenstein and still works); and also gameux.dll if is included.

On windows 10 gameux.dll is in windows\system32 and windows\syswow64 but i don't know if is safe to delete it... (and it was also included in 1903 build...)

and i find also games folder in programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs, but is a clean folder so i have removed it now
Post edited June 30, 2019 by FulVal
Even old games on Steam seems to experience this problem. Thanks to information provided here, I was able to play Doom 3 again.
Pouyou-pouyou: I just had a case of several of my old windows games refusing to start while the CPU would saturate doing nothing (Win 7).

After investigating a little, I found out that the cause for this was the Game Explorer (gameux) who meddled as soon as the game got started. It would try to connect to the Microsoft servers to collect infos. But it seems that the MS server (https://games.metaservices.microsoft.com/games/SGamesWebService.asmx) is dead now. So it loops indefinitely doing nothing, and all these game won't work anymore.

This bug affects all games listed in the windows registry at this location : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX. Others are unaffected.

This is totally silly, but can be easily solved. Some did it by deleting some dlls, but it is better to just change a registry key.

EvilEdDead explained it well here (thanks man !).
Just open Regedit, got to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\GameUX\ServiceLocation and change the server address contained in the "Games" chain value to 127.0.0.1 or localhost (do a backup first if you wish).

This will solve the problem once and for all for all the games which had it.

----------

Alternative method : copy-paste the text below to a txt file and rename the extension as .reg instead of .txt, then double-click on the file to apply it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\GameUX\ServiceLocation]
"Games"="127.0.0.1"

And to undo the changes, do the same with this instead :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\GameUX\ServiceLocation]
"Games"="https://games.metaservices.microsoft.com/games/SGamesWebService.asmx"
This thread needs to be pinned GOG Support! Thanks for the fix!
low rated
"Game Explorer" controls more than 2000 old games.

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7
To stop the "Game Explorer" program, use the "Stop Game Explorer"

There are two versions of the program in the archive: for 64bit and for 32bit (i.e., x86).
The program "Stop Game Explorer" works with system files, so use this program at your own peril and risk.
The program works with system files, therefore your Anti-Virus may block.
In the system Windows 8/10 the program "Game Explorer" is deactivated, so there is no such error.

Download Stop_Game_Explorer_1_1.zip [remove spaces in this link]
h t t p : //www.mediafire.com/file/2mrtxy4eo4pmi2g/Stop_Game_Explorer_1_1.zip/file
Post edited July 03, 2019 by JackkyJack
JackkyJack: "Game Explorer" controls more than 2000 old games.

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7
To stop the "Game Explorer" program, use the "Stop Game Explorer"
Stop_Game_Explorer_1_1.zip [remove spaces in this link]
h t t p : //www.mediafire.com/file/....................../Stop_Game_Explorer_1_1.zip

There are two versions of the program in the archive: for 64bit and for 32bit (i.e., x86).
The program "Stop Game Explorer" works with system files, so use this program at your own peril and risk.
The program works with system files, therefore your Anti-Virus may block.
In the system Windows 8/10 the program "Game Explorer" is deactivated, so there is no such error.
Don't download this, people. Report it as spam.

I was sure is something fishy and download it just to scan it with Kaspersky, which detects Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Dapato.psrv.
ariaspi: Don't download this, people. Report it as spam.

I was sure is something fishy and download it just to scan it with Kaspersky, which detects Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Dapato.psrv.
No viruses.
I'm not a programmer, but I myself made this little simple program 2 years ago, it was downloaded 780 times.
"Game Explore" is part of the Windows 7 operating system, so any Anti-Virus will make a warning about attempting to modify Windows system files.
If you are trying to remove or block "Game Explore", then you are a hacker - from the point of view of Microsoft. :)
You should not be paranoid.
If anyone is interested, I can lay out the source codes of this program, there are no secrets.

The program "Stop Game Explorer" has 3 modes of operation:
1. Mode "Block Game Explorer"
Program "Stop Game Explorer" will rename the GameUXLegacyGDFs.dll files in the Windows \ System32 and Windows \ SysWOW64
folders in GameUXLegacyGDFs_OLD.dll with the Master, all Users and Permissions of these files saved with
Trusted Shell utilities - execute commands on behalf of the system account TrustedInstaller
As a result, information about your games will not be transferred to Microsoft.

If for previously installed games there are "brakes" with the start, then additionally delete the old records
of your installed games from this registry branch
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ GameUX]

2. Mode "Unblock Game Explorer".
Program "Stop Game Explorer" restores the original file names GameUXLegacyGDFs.dll from GameUXLegacyGDFs_OLD.dll, after which
Game Explorer will run in the standard mode.

3. Uninstall the "Stop Game Explorer"
The "Stop Game Explorer" program is removed by standard Windows tools:
Start - Programs - "Stop Game Explorer" - Uninstall
After the removal of this program, the original file names will be restored
GameUXLegacyGDFs.dll from GameUXLegacyGDFs_OLD.dll, with saving the Owner, all Users and the Permissions
of these files, after which the Game Explorer will work in the standard mode.

I made the program "Stop Game Explorer", because it is a difficult task: to rename the system files on their own while retaining the owner, all users and permissions.
Post edited July 01, 2019 by JackkyJack
ariaspi: Don't download this, people. Report it as spam.

JackkyJack: No viruses.
I'm not a programmer, but I myself made this little simple program 2 years ago, it was downloaded 780 times.
"Game Explore" is part of the Windows 7 operating system, so any Anti-Virus will make a warning about attempting to modify Windows system files.
If you are trying to remove or block "Game Explore", then you are a hacker - from the point of view of Microsoft. :)
You should not be paranoid.
If anyone is interested, I can lay out the source codes of this program, there are no secrets.

The program "Stop Game Explorer" has 3 modes of operation:
1. Mode "Block Game Explorer"
Program "Stop Game Explorer" will rename the GameUXLegacyGDFs.dll files in the Windows \ System32 and Windows \ SysWOW64
folders in GameUXLegacyGDFs_OLD.dll with the Master, all Users and Permissions of these files saved with
Trusted Shell utilities - execute commands on behalf of the system account TrustedInstaller
As a result, information about your games will not be transferred to Microsoft.

If for previously installed games there are "brakes" with the start, then additionally delete the old records
of your installed games from this registry branch
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ GameUX]

2. Mode "Unblock Game Explorer".
Program "Stop Game Explorer" restores the original file names GameUXLegacyGDFs.dll from GameUXLegacyGDFs_OLD.dll, after which
Game Explorer will run in the standard mode.

3. Uninstall the "Stop Game Explorer"
The "Stop Game Explorer" program is removed by standard Windows tools:
Start - Programs - "Stop Game Explorer" - Uninstall
After the removal of this program, the original file names will be restored
GameUXLegacyGDFs.dll from GameUXLegacyGDFs_OLD.dll, with saving the Owner, all Users and the Permissions
of these files, after which the Game Explorer will work in the standard mode.

I made the program "Stop Game Explorer", because it is a difficult task: to rename the system files on their own while retaining the owner, all users and permissions.
Maybe your program is indeed legit, and I know many legit programs, especially the patching type, are often flagged as malware by security suites, but you have a new account posting a link to a suspicious program uploaded on mediafire. Not many will trust you this way.

If the program is safe, then try and submit it to the AV companies, so it won't be flagged anymore, and host it on github or something, along with the source code.
ariaspi: Maybe your program is indeed legit, and I know many legit programs, especially the patching type, are often flagged as malware by security suites, but you have a new account posting a link to a suspicious program uploaded on mediafire. Not many will trust you this way.

If the program is safe, then try and submit it to the AV companies, so it won't be flagged anymore, and host it on github or something, along with the source code.
I read what you wrote and take note.
But I do what I find interesting and when I find it interesting and it's free.
If you need legality, then contact Microsoft.
Have a nice day.
Post edited July 01, 2019 by JackkyJack
ThorChild: Is this stuff bundled in the games themselves or from GOG installer end? I'm not 100% clear on that.
Pouyou-pouyou: No, GOG installers don't fix this "bug" from MS (yet ?). You have to apply it separately so far.

ThorChild: Either way it should be an easy 'fix' for the GOG team to apply the regedit fix for future downloads of their installers?
Pouyou-pouyou: It should, provided they are aware of it.

ThorChild: I myself have not seen an issue yet as i game offline, but i do use Windows 7 (and plan to stay with it going forward, using a dual boot Linux Mint/Windows 7 Pro system) for most of my gaming and just wanted to say thanks very much to the OP for making this thread.
Pouyou-pouyou: You're welcome.

gamesfreak64: Anyway, win10 should become faster lighter and less resource hungry, after these years one usually makes progress and improves things, not so for MickySoft, they become larger, bloated and consume loads of RAM and HD space and still mess up , even today (✖╭╮✖)
Pouyou-pouyou: This is Windows 10 : https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/a4/a3/f0a4a381582f7dd9281f1685cc801b6f.jpg
Each patch consists of removing one beam and putting another better one instead hoping all will be fine...
That looks quite 'solid' you are too kind on windoze 10 ...., even a house build of 30 year old daily used cards is more stable then windoze will ever be :D

win7 = the best , balance is everything ...

check: w7balance.jpg

2 googled pictures combined to show what real balance is : win7
Attachments:
FulVal: I think that you can remove gameuxlegacygdfs.dll in all games that still include it without problem (tested this with return to castle wolfenstein and still works); and also gameux.dll if is included.

On windows 10 gameux.dll is in windows\system32 and windows\syswow64 but i don't know if is safe to delete it... (and it was also included in 1903 build...)

and i find also games folder in programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs, but is a clean folder so i have removed it now
does a gameux.dll also qualify as 'bad' if so if have quite a lot of them

check: gameuxdll.jpg

i hope they are not 'related' to the gameux , anyway they are dated, quite old: 2009 and 3 or 4 dated 2012 ... a few could not fit the screen
Attachments:
gameuxdll.jpg (132 Kb)
FulVal: On windows 10 gameux.dll is in windows\system32 and windows\syswow64 but i don't know if is safe to delete it... (and it was also included in 1903 build...)
"Game Explorer" only works on Windows Vista / Windows 7
In Windows 8/10, “Game Explorer” is temporarily deactivated
Post edited July 02, 2019 by JackkyJack