It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Themken: AHA! I wondered why so many games stopped working suddenly. Thanks for informing us!

A quick test and one game works again :-)
How's the other games?
Elmofongo: How's the other games?
Seem to work except Divine Divinity that I kind of broke trying to fix it but reinstalling that should do it. On Windows 7 Home 64bits.
I don't remember what problems I had with Game Explorer/GameUX (that was in 2014, by the date of the back-up archive I've made), but I deleted "gameux.dll" and "GameUXLegacyGDFs.dll" files located in the "System32" and "SysWOW64" folders. I don't think I changed anything in Registry.

Checking again now, I see that gameux.dll is back there, so maybe try and delete only GameUXLegacyGDFs.dll (make back-up first) and see how it goes. Most likely, you'll have to take ownership of those files first and reboot the system. Here are some guides.

There are similar threads here, on gog.
Elmofongo: Are you running a Windows 10 and this issue happens?
No, Win10 users should be unaffected.
Pouyou-pouyou: No, Win10 users should be unaffected.
This is just telling me to upgrade to Windows 10....
Hm, if Win 10 is not affected, seems to me as if MS did this on purpose to force people to go to Win 10!
On the other hand, I didn`t experience this bug yet, and I`m on Win 8.
I´m not sure if it´s related or not, HOMM3 HD mod have a option to decrease cpu usage. Usually old games use one core 100%, sometimes change the compatibility mode seem to help. Might be worth someone who knows what is doing to inestigate... Without the tweak 100% 1 core all the time, with the tweak it decreases to something more "normal".
On other hand, the 100% 1core is there but it seems to do nothing, as the cpu will have very little increase in temperature, nothing like a "real load"...

on Win8.1 I don´t have that reg key.
Attachments:
sem_nome.jpg (101 Kb)
Pouyou-pouyou: No, Win10 users should be unaffected.
Now I am puzzled about this whole thread. If the issue is about the (GOG?) games trying to connect to some server that doesn't exist anymore, and the game fails because of that, why does it matter which version of Windows you are running?

Also, if the games fail because they can't connect to some MS server, shouldn't they have failed already before if anyone tried to run them on a PC without internet connection? Or is the system smart enough not to try to connect if internet is down? EDIT: Ok, so according to that other thread, it DID happen already before on offline PCs?

On my Windows 10 laptop at least Icewind Dale 2 works fine (it crashed at first, but that was related to that ddraw.dll or whatever it was, I just renamed that file and the game works), but maybe I should try if it works also on my Windows 7 laptop.

Either way, good thing there is a workaround.
Post edited June 19, 2019 by timppu
I remember this issue, and yes it was Game Explorer related. I seem to remember disabling some option in the Game Explorer fixed it, but it's been a while since I used Win 7 and even longer since I fixed that issue.
timppu: ...snip
This thread is about Games Explorer, another useless feature from Microsoft, which fortunately was removed in Windows 10.

I'm not sure how much fault GOG has in this, but they used to include functions(?) of Games Explorer in their old installers. If you happen to have such old installers, you'll find GameuxInstallHelper.dll in them. I don't know if removing this file from the installed games folder solves anything (the goggame.dll might be responsible too?), because I did what I explained in my previous post and had no problems so far.

If you do want to remove GameuxInstallHelper.dll, make a back-up of it first, because, I think, the uninstaller will fail without it. Luckily, from what I remember, is the same file for most of the games, so you can keep only a back-up of it.
Pouyou-pouyou: snip
So I fixed the issue using your method. And the games work now.

But is it going to remain fixed? Like the Registry for the GamerUX thing isn't going to reset back to its default settings or anything?

Especially when I turn off and turn back on my PC?
oh nos..... not my morrowind! so any chance gog putting in an auto fix for this? or at least a notice on how to fix it per game affected?

i checked and my modded morrowind works fine. win 7. running thru galaxy. auto update off.
Post edited June 19, 2019 by mintee
Is gog investigating this? please let us know.
This and facebook problem.
timppu: Now I am puzzled about this whole thread. If the issue is about the (GOG?) games trying to connect to some server that doesn't exist anymore, and the game fails because of that, why does it matter which version of Windows you are running?
I'm not a Win10 user so I can't tell for sure, but I suppose that on Win10, it tries to connect to another server still online. Either that or it doesn't try to connect to any. Don't know about Win 8.

timppu: Also, if the games fail because they can't connect to some MS server, shouldn't they have failed already before if anyone tried to run them on a PC without internet connection? Or is the system smart enough not to try to connect if internet is down? EDIT: Ok, so according to that other thread, it DID happen already before on offline PCs?
Yes and it has happened a lot for many users already. Which is why the solution for this problem is not new at all. But now that the MS server is dead, every Win 7 users will need to apply it if they still want to play some of their old games. Or switch their OS...

Elmofongo: But is it going to remain fixed? Like the Registry for the GamerUX thing isn't going to reset back to its default settings or anything?

It should keep working unless MS gets the bad idea to make another windows update which would revert the server address to its default value, which would be very surprising... Why would they do that...... unless they would want to annoy the users in order to push them to switch to Win10 ?
timppu: Now I am puzzled about this whole thread. If the issue is about the (GOG?) games trying to connect to some server that doesn't exist anymore, and the game fails because of that, why does it matter which version of Windows you are running?
Pouyou-pouyou: I'm not a Win10 user so I can't tell for sure, but I suppose that on Win10, it tries to connect to another server still online. Either that or it doesn't try to connect to any. Don't know about Win 8.

timppu: Also, if the games fail because they can't connect to some MS server, shouldn't they have failed already before if anyone tried to run them on a PC without internet connection? Or is the system smart enough not to try to connect if internet is down? EDIT: Ok, so according to that other thread, it DID happen already before on offline PCs?
Pouyou-pouyou: Yes and it has happened a lot for many users already. Which is why the solution for this problem is not new at all. But now that the MS server is dead, every Win 7 users will need to apply it if they still want to play some of their old games. Or switch their OS...

Elmofongo: But is it going to remain fixed? Like the Registry for the GamerUX thing isn't going to reset back to its default settings or anything?

Pouyou-pouyou: It should keep working unless MS gets the bad idea to make another windows update which would revert the server address to its default value, which would be very surprising... Why would they do that...... unless they would want to annoy the users in order to push them to switch to Win10 ?
Then keep an eye on all updates Microsoft has for Windows 7