It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fear has a smell, and it's called Intel. I'm not trying to sound like an AMD fanboy, but ever since Ryzen appeared, Intel stopped relaxing on their throne and have been throwing i9's all over the place just to stay on top.

Honestly I'm not even surprised by this move and 2,000$ price tag is hardly worth it, the Ryzen 1950X is half the price and has only 2 cores less.
Alaric.us: Yea, this is not for the people who are looking to optimize for cost. No argument there. Personally I don't really care what the price is, since I'm looking to optimize for performance.
GR00T: I could afford that thing, and it would be damned cool to have it, but even so, I still weigh cost/performance and it seems for what I do on my comp, it wouldn't be a sound investment. YMMV, of course.
+1 I recently changed my main system to a Ryzen 7 1800. And even that ( understanding it's substantially more affordable than the beauty being discussed here ) was not fully reasonable ;-) ( especially since I'm running it as a dual win 7 / Kubuntu system, a choice that limits some functionnalities )

Still this is again a cpu for a niche market, that will sell predictably well outside of its niche, if only because the luxury effect is well alive.
Ganni1987: Fear has a smell, and it's called Intel. I'm not trying to sound like an AMD fanboy, but ever since Ryzen appeared, Intel stopped relaxing on their throne and have been throwing i9's all over the place just to stay on top.

Honestly I'm not even surprised by this move and 2,000$ price tag is hardly worth it, the Ryzen 1950X is half the price and has only 2 cores less.
On the other hand the TDP of a 1950X, or of the i9s, is such that that smell may well be that of an overheated system as well. Maybe I've been too long around, but 165w or 180w TDPs sound like something I wouldn't like to have in my computer case, irrespective of the merits of the cpu architecture.
Post edited August 08, 2017 by Phc7006
Randalator: Unless you are working with video rendering or similar stuff, why would you buy something like that?
ariaspi: To brag about it.
Not for web hosting. Drive buses are our choke point.
Randalator: Unless you are working with video rendering or similar stuff, why would you buy something like that?
ariaspi: To brag about it.
Why do some buy a Vacheron Constantin or a Patek Philippe when an Omega speedmaster would be more reasonable and every bit as technically desirable? ( And why do I wear a Vostok K-39 ? )
Phc7006: Why do some buy a Vacheron Constantin or a Patek Philippe when an Omega speedmaster would be more reasonable and every bit as technically desirable? ( And why do I wear a Vostok K-39 ? )
To feel special, above the plebs. (Don't know. O_o Why do you wear the Vostok? I wear a Bering Titanium.)
Alaric.us: ...lthough the number of multi threaded ones is increasing....
And, of course, it's also great for doing a ton of things that are not directly gaming-related.
MadalinStroe: Could you please list some of them? I know that the latest Civilization manages to use more than 4 cores/threads, but are there any other?
Even so, unless you use extremely specific tests, or you are going to use it as a round the clock encoding machine, then the benefits are not going to be dramatic, beyond what an i7 7700k offers you. That is the absolute maximum I'd be willing to recommend to even the most enthusiastic buyer.
Buying brand new tech is el stupido. You pay through the nose, and then wait for the market to catch up, which could be a half year or more. o.O
MadalinStroe: Could you please list some of them? I know that the latest Civilization manages to use more than 4 cores/threads, but are there any other?
Even so, unless you use extremely specific tests, or you are going to use it as a round the clock encoding machine, then the benefits are not going to be dramatic, beyond what an i7 7700k offers you. That is the absolute maximum I'd be willing to recommend to even the most enthusiastic buyer.
richlind33: Buying brand new tech is el stupido. You pay through the nose, and then wait for the market to catch up, which could be a half year or more. o.O
"Not right for my personal financial situation" !== "Stupid"
Sorry, but i'd rather stick to Ryzen.
Phc7006: Why do some buy a Vacheron Constantin or a Patek Philippe when an Omega speedmaster would be more reasonable and every bit as technically desirable? ( And why do I wear a Vostok K-39 ? )
This argument makes no sense. One could just as easily ask "why buy an Omega?" Or even a cheap Seiko for that matter. Clearly a $20 quartz Cassio or Citizen would tell the time as well (if not better) as any multi-thousand dollar mechanical watch. Does that mean that buying anything other than that $20 Cassio is utterly stupid? Maybe. To some people. But clearly not to all.
richlind33: Buying brand new tech is el stupido. You pay through the nose, and then wait for the market to catch up, which could be a half year or more. o.O
Alaric.us: "Not right for my personal financial situation" !== "Stupid"
More like, "not rational except under extraordinary circumstances".

Six months down the road people will have better rigs for a lot less dosh. So much for staying power.
Alaric.us: "Not right for my personal financial situation" !== "Stupid"
richlind33: More like, "not rational except under extraordinary circumstances".

Six months down the road people will have better rigs for a lot less dosh. So much for staying power.
Not only that, they will have better cars, better clothes, better watches, better houses ... better everything really. If you always wait for the final thing to end all things, you will never get to enjoy any of it because a better one is always just around the corner. =)

Sometimes waiting for some game-changer is worth it. For instance I am waiting for an absolutely amazing monitor right now. But generally speaking I live right now and want to enjoy things right now. If I waited for Vega, I wouldn't have had an awesome year with GTX 1080. If I waited for Tesla I wouldn't have had a great time with a Lexus.

Please don't take this as en encouragement to by everything the moment it comes our or live outside your means, but if it's available and you can have it ... why not? It's not like it's at the expense of something more important.
richlind33: More like, "not rational except under extraordinary circumstances".

Alaric.us: Not only that, they will have better cars, better clothes, better watches, better houses ... better everything really. If you always wait for the final thing to end all things, you will never get to enjoy any of it because a better one is always just around the corner. =)

Sometimes waiting for some game-changer is worth it. For instance I am waiting for an absolutely amazing monitor right now. But generally speaking I live right now and want to enjoy things right now. If I waited for Vega, I wouldn't have had an awesome year with GTX 1080. If I waited for Tesla I wouldn't have had a great time with a Lexus.

Please don't take this as en encouragement to by everything the moment it comes our or live outside your means, but if it's available and you can have it ... why not? It's not like it's at the expense of something more important.
Reminds me of when my grandpappy bought a top-of-the-line hi-def television when they first came out. Ten G's, I think it was. But there was one little problem -- there weren't any hi-def cable channels. lol

But seriously, the best rig you can build at any given time will consist of hardware that's appr, six months old, because that's about how long it takes to find optimal configurations for next-gen tech. Yes, there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.
Alaric.us: Not only that, they will have better cars, better clothes, better watches, better houses ... better everything really. If you always wait for the final thing to end all things, you will never get to enjoy any of it because a better one is always just around the corner. =)

richlind33: Reminds me of when my grandpappy bought a top-of-the-line hi-def television when they first came out. Ten G's, I think it was. But there was one little problem -- there weren't any hi-def cable channels. lol

But seriously, the best rig you can build at any given time will consist of hardware that's appr, six months old, because that's about how long it takes to find optimal configurations for next-gen tech. Yes, there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.
And yet, with upscaling even a DVD quality movie looked a lot closet to a 1080p BluRay quality one. If your grandfather enjoyed it, then it was money well spent. (So long, of course, as it wasn't instead of something necessary.) Life is to be enjoyed and money is there to help make it more enjoyable.

As to PCs, I disagree. I bought a GTX 1080 the moment it became available and it was a perfectly correct decision. I still have it and am still enjoying it. Once that monitor I mentioned comes out, I'll replace it with a 1080 Ti or whatever happens to be the latest at the moment.
ariaspi: To feel special, above the plebs. (Don't know. O_o Why do you wear the Vostok? I wear a Bering Titanium.)
The need to feel special seems indeed a possibility when it comes to watches...

Aside from the fact I feel uncomfortable with battery-powered watches, because it is affordable and because its dual time function is nice to have when you have to deal with contacts in another timezone.

To come back to computers and CPUs, The situation is actually the same as for the i7 6950X ( or as it was 6 years ago with the i7 990X ) : one has to admit that there is a not so small niche that needs or can make better use of this kind of CPUs, just between the professional multi CPU systems and the enthusiast retail segment . Although some may be suspicious about the TDP for instance....

On the top of that, there is a tendency for thisniche to bleed into the enthisiast segment itsef , call it wealth effect , luxury effect or pice insensitivity or simply human drive to bigger / better things. And Intel knows how to make best use of that ....( that's why the i9 is such a nice move rather than sticking to i7 extreme On top of creating a segment to capture those willing to pay for that, it makes the masses more comfy with buying an i7 rather than an i5, because the i7 now looks rational ! )

The same with laptops, where there is a market for high end overpriced gaming laptops.

If such choices are aligned with the financial situation of the buyers, it's not to be critised per se. Let them be happy with their purchase. Even if not rational as was rightly said before,.
Post edited August 09, 2017 by Phc7006
Alaric.us: Ashes of the Singularity and Doom for instance.
I completely forgot about Ashes of the Singularity, and you are right, it is another example of a game that scales with more cores. But Doom does not, it is such a well optimized game, that you'll only see benefits from a better video card.