It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Check out this article. It's about Intel's upcoming i9-7980XE with 18 cores. I think I just found my next CPU. I also think I might be in love.
Oh yes, modern games are struggling with optimization for quadcores. Let's solve it by throwing 14 more cores at them, that should do the trick!

Unless you are working with video rendering or similar stuff, why would you buy something like that?
Randalator: Oh yes, modern games are struggling with optimization for quadcores. Let's solve it by throwing 14 more cores at them, that should do the trick!

Unless you are working with video rendering or similar stuff, why would you buy something like that?
Not all games are the same. That said, you are right in that many are still single threaded, although the number of multi threaded ones is increasing. Still the processor is a beast, it will give a substantial advantage in those games that can take advantage of it, while still fully holding its own in those that cannot.

And, of course, it's also great for doing a ton of things that are not directly gaming-related.
Alaric.us: ...lthough the number of multi threaded ones is increasing....
And, of course, it's also great for doing a ton of things that are not directly gaming-related.
Could you please list some of them? I know that the latest Civilization manages to use more than 4 cores/threads, but are there any other?
Even so, unless you use extremely specific tests, or you are going to use it as a round the clock encoding machine, then the benefits are not going to be dramatic, beyond what an i7 7700k offers you. That is the absolute maximum I'd be willing to recommend to even the most enthusiastic buyer.
Post edited August 08, 2017 by MadalinStroe
Alaric.us: Check out this article. It's about Intel's upcoming i9-7980XE with 18 cores. I think I just found my next CPU. I also think I might be in love.
Have you seen the price of them compared to Ryzen Threadripper/EPYC processors?
Also, they've gimped their own X299 mobo boards with Intel stating they have to be done that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE

Yeah, it's good to see more cores, but Intel are definitely looking dodgier than usual.
Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing more gfx renderers/software making use of cores, more cores, all of the cores! 8D

P.S. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w-G85O8n3I
Post edited August 08, 2017 by fishbaits
Randalator: Unless you are working with video rendering or similar stuff, why would you buy something like that?
JerkMuter won't run on just anything, you know.
Meh, better wait for the 24 core processor. It will be a blast. For my part, the next computer I buy will be a quantum computer.
Oddeus: Meh, better wait for the 24 core processor. It will be a blast. For my part, the next computer I buy will be a quantum computer.
lol

For the OP: Have you previously fallen in love with other micro processors or is this your first time? If so, do you think that has something to do with the micro processor belonging to an X-series? I'm really curious, I bet any love would be stronger with 18 cores.
Alaric.us: ...lthough the number of multi threaded ones is increasing....
MadalinStroe: Could you please list some of them?
IceCube simulations. So far we are using a cluster of GPUs for that, but a processor with more cores might help, since that kind of simulation is actually highly parallelizable (is that even a word?) But considering the price, using GPUs might remain the more economic solution for some time.
MadalinStroe: Could you please list some of them?
Lifthrasil: IceCube simulations. So far we are using a cluster of GPUs for that, but a processor with more cores might help, since that kind of simulation is actually highly parallelizable (is that even a word?) But considering the price, using GPUs might remain the more economic solution for some time.
Prime95 would make good use of it too. Cost aside.
MadalinStroe: Could you please list some of them? I know that the latest Civilization manages to use more than 4 cores/threads, but are there any other?
Even so, unless you use extremely specific tests, or you are going to use it as a round the clock encoding machine, then the benefits are not going to be dramatic, beyond what an i7 7700k offers you. That is the absolute maximum I'd be willing to recommend to even the most enthusiastic buyer.
Ashes of the Singularity and Doom for instance.

For the majority of gams the benefits won't be dramatic, of course. That said, they are still there. For example, my current CPU (an i7 6850K) is outperforming an i7 7700k. Is it a substantial performance gain? Not usually (again, mostly depending on how a given game utilizes multithreading) but it's still there.

Also, as I said earlier, gaming is by far not the only thing we do on our computers.
contra_cultura: For the OP: Have you previously fallen in love with other micro processors or is this your first time? If so, do you think that has something to do with the micro processor belonging to an X-series? I'm really curious, I bet any love would be stronger with 18 cores.
I think I was kinda partial to a 386. It was kinda amazing after all those 286 ones. Pentium II seemed pretty amazing too.
ZFR: Cost aside.
Yea, this is not for the people who are looking to optimize for cost. No argument there. Personally I don't really care what the price is, since I'm looking to optimize for performance.
Post edited August 08, 2017 by Alaric.us
Alaric.us: Check out **bogus link removed**. It's about Intel's upcoming i9-7980XE with 18 cores. I think I just found my next CPU. I also think I might be in love.
jiotv: So amazing. I wish I would had it as my CPU somedays :)))
Just had to change that link to your own website, huh? So amazing, indeed.
Alaric.us: Yea, this is not for the people who are looking to optimize for cost. No argument there. Personally I don't really care what the price is, since I'm looking to optimize for performance.
I could afford that thing, and it would be damned cool to have it, but even so, I still weigh cost/performance and it seems for what I do on my comp, it wouldn't be a sound investment. YMMV, of course.
Alaric.us: Not all games are the same. That said, you are right in that many are still single threaded, although the number of multi threaded ones is increasing. Still the processor is a beast, it will give a substantial advantage in those games that can take advantage of it, while still fully holding its own in those that cannot.

Even the handful of games that actually could make use of all cores would still be tailored to a mass market that uses 4 cores at most. So you might get 250 fps instead of 180, but no significant increase in picture quality, effects, etc. Just that for a whopping $2,000 dollar price tag.

Even when you're optimizing for performance there's a point where it becomes just absurd. Unless you have another purpose for that specific cpu right now, like video rendering, professional game streaming in 4K, or what have you, you'd be much better off waiting for "massively multi-core cpu" (which I totally want to see become the official label for that type of processor) to drop into the high-end mass market segment currently covered by the I7 range.

Because if not, by the time you could actually make full use of this cpu's potential there'd be better, more modern cpus around for about a quarter of the price.
Post edited August 08, 2017 by Randalator
Randalator: Unless you are working with video rendering or similar stuff, why would you buy something like that?
To brag about it.