It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Exploring the vast space is about to get even more interesting. Today No Man’s Sky receives one of the biggest updates yet. It’s titled Origins because like the game’s creators describe - it is the beginning of something new. The update dramatically expands the universe of No Man’s Sky with new planets, multiple stars, as well as various landscapes and creatures. It also comes with a general player interface refresh.

The Origins update comes with a 50% discount on the No Man’s Sky game that will last on GOG.COM until 9th October 2020, 1 PM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
paladin181: Posted this support ticket today:
The game has an online requirement. If you have no internet connection, most items and missions involving quicksilver are not available to the player. This is a form of DRM content. Please remove the content (or have the developer remove the content) of have them make it DRM free. This should be a violation of your contract as the game is no longer DRM free. If this isn't addressed (by more than a WARNING on the game card page) then I will refrain from any further purchases from GOG until it is remedied. DRM-Free is literally the ONLY thing that sets GOG.com apart from Steam or Epic. It is inferior in literally every other way to Steam, but I continue to patronize your store over Steam because of the core value (last one, now, innit?) of DRM-free. This is a non-starter for my shopping here in the future.

Thank you.
falloutttt: Normally, I would agree with you.

But you don't need quicksilver to enjoy the game. The last time I played, as I remember, you can only buy cosmetics with quicksilver. Therefor it's pretty useless.

And as much as I hate GOG nowadays, it is not up to them to "fix" this, but the devs.

!Edited:

After reading a bit more on the subject, I see that the new update made changes related to this, so you may be right. I will have to check it out myself first.

Thanks!
Could you please link or tell me what new changes realted to this the game had? Because tomorrow I was going to buy the game, and from what I could tell, the only online only requirements would be quicksilver and the living ship questline, both of them should be doable through a fix a user shared here:

https://www.gog.com/forum/no_mans_sky/no_quicksilver_items_for_offline_players/page1
high rated
falloutttt: But you don't need quicksilver to enjoy the game. The last time I played, as I remember, you can only buy cosmetics with quicksilver. Therefor it's pretty useless.
That is entirely beside the point. Either there is single player content gated behind DRM or there isn't. What that content may be is not the point. What is "required" to enjoy the game is subjective, and precedence of allowing that as an excuse, of allowing anything as an excuse really, for DRM on a store the sole point of which is DRM-free is no acceptable.

falloutttt: And as much as I hate GOG nowadays, it is not up to them to "fix" this, but the devs.
It is up to GOG to uphold their promise of DRM-free games and enforce their policy on devs and publishers they work with.
Post edited September 25, 2020 by Breja
Breja: It is up to GOG to uphold their promise of DRM-free games and enforce their policy on devs and publishers they work with.
I agree, and I agree that this case seems clearly something GOG should fix.

There is another one that has been bothering me that is less clear: the Zachtronics games that show what other people came up with only if you are online. This makes it really annoying to optimize if you are offline since it can be quite hard to tell if a better solution is possible. Another game, polybridge (from Humble, not available here), has the same type of graphs after each level but provides them even offline. Obviously it won't be current if someone has figured out a better way since the last update, but it seems like something that could easily be added with updates or a separate download to get the current values.

Another less clear case is daily challenges. Technically, it should be easy to have a download option from outside the game to add the current daily challenge, but I haven't actually seen that. I'm less concerned about this one since they seem to usually be more gimmicky than interesting but sometimes variety is nice and possibly some game uses it to good effect. Ideally there would be a pack of up to date content for download and an ability to choose from past daily challenges.

IMO, offline play is the #1 practical advantage of DRM-free games so I encourage GOG to be strict about this stuff even in these less clear cases.
falloutttt: Normally, I would agree with you.

But you don't need quicksilver to enjoy the game. The last time I played, as I remember, you can only buy cosmetics with quicksilver. Therefor it's pretty useless.

And as much as I hate GOG nowadays, it is not up to them to "fix" this, but the devs.

!Edited:

After reading a bit more on the subject, I see that the new update made changes related to this, so you may be right. I will have to check it out myself first.

Thanks!
Kyousuke.: Could you please link or tell me what new changes realted to this the game had? Because tomorrow I was going to buy the game, and from what I could tell, the only online only requirements would be quicksilver and the living ship questline, both of them should be doable through a fix a user shared here:

https://www.gog.com/forum/no_mans_sky/no_quicksilver_items_for_offline_players/page1
I don't have a link or anything like that. I did read somewhere that you need quicksilver for something else now since the update. And before the update it was simply to buy some cosmetics, which I didn't need.

But yeah, there's a fix for quicksilver and there's also a way to farm it somehow(check the youtube for that).

I'm gonna have to play it and see for myself, but I don't have the time atm, sadly.

As for the game, buy it. Don't listen to anyone. This game is absolutely amazing! Aside from quicksilver and everything about it, there's more to do in this game than in any game we have today for the price.

All the best!
falloutttt: But you don't need quicksilver to enjoy the game. The last time I played, as I remember, you can only buy cosmetics with quicksilver. Therefor it's pretty useless.
Breja: That is entirely beside the point. Either there is single player content gated behind DRM or there isn't. What that content may be is not the point. What is "required" to enjoy the game is subjective, and precedence of allowing that as an excuse, of allowing anything as an excuse really, for DRM on a store the sole point of which is DRM-free is no acceptable.

falloutttt: And as much as I hate GOG nowadays, it is not up to them to "fix" this, but the devs.
Breja: It is up to GOG to uphold their promise of DRM-free games and enforce their policy on devs and publishers they work with.
I was talking about the in-game fix. It's not for GOG to fix, but the devs.

And yeah, I agree, it is up to GOG to uphold their promise of DRM-free games and enforce their policy on devs and publishers they work with.

Let's wait and see what GOG will do....
Post edited September 25, 2020 by falloutttt
falloutttt: As for the game, buy it. Don't listen to anyone. This game is absolutely amazing! Aside from quicksilver and everything about it, there's more to do in this game than in any game we have today for the price.

All the best!
I'm buying it in fact, I'm just a bit pissed about this whole thing, I also fear that they could disable the possibility of enabling online features offline too through any update, should they be so adamant in not allowing us to do that. :/
falloutttt: As for the game, buy it. Don't listen to anyone. This game is absolutely amazing! Aside from quicksilver and everything about it, there's more to do in this game than in any game we have today for the price.

All the best!
Kyousuke.: I'm buying it in fact, I'm just a bit pissed about this whole thing, I also fear that they could disable the possibility of enabling online features offline too through any update, should they be so adamant in not allowing us to do that. :/
I don't believe this devs have any kind of bad intentions. Sort of creating some kind of hidden online-DRM like so many tend to believe it to be so.

Besides, why would you need a DRM, 4 years after the game is released. Usually DRM is useful during the first year, not so much after.

Also, this devs could have released all those updates in form of DLC for 10$ each, like so many devs do today, but they didn't.

I've been playing this game since it was released, and with time, I got nothing but love for the game and the devs.
Kyousuke.: I'm buying it in fact, I'm just a bit pissed about this whole thing, I also fear that they could disable the possibility of enabling online features offline too through any update, should they be so adamant in not allowing us to do that. :/
falloutttt: I don't believe this devs have any kind of bad intentions. Sort of creating some kind of hidden online-DRM like so many tend to believe it to be so.

Besides, why would you need a DRM, 4 years after the game is released. Usually DRM is useful during the first year, not so much after.

Also, this devs could have released all those updates in form of DLC for 10$ each, like so many devs do today, but they didn't.

I've been playing this game since it was released, and with time, I got nothing but love for the game and the devs.
I've bought it, but rather than drm, we are talking about cutting content behind online functionality, which albeit it can be considered a form of drm, it's still a meh thing.

While I can understand barring MP content due to its nature online, there is absolutely no reason to negate SP content offline.

If we were talking about some daily rutines which added nothing new to the table aside from some currency you could get offline too, I wouldn't mind it.

But what we have here is:

- Complete living ship quest line being locked behind online;

- Quincy shop being again locked behind online (its inventory is limited when you interact with it offline);

- Quicksilver can be farmed only online (the offline number is very limited so let's take it out of the formula).

So yeah, while I agree that the game is great and all, I'd argue that the decision was a good one, especially considering GOG policy.

I'm not saying to remove the game, but at least to tell hello games that they should fix this asap.
falloutttt: I don't believe this devs have any kind of bad intentions. Sort of creating some kind of hidden online-DRM like so many tend to believe it to be so.

Kyousuke.: I've bought it, but rather than drm, we are talking about cutting content behind online functionality, which albeit it can be considered a form of drm, it's still a meh thing.

While I can understand barring MP content due to its nature online, there is absolutely no reason to negate SP content offline.

If we were talking about some daily rutines which added nothing new to the table aside from some currency you could get offline too, I wouldn't mind it.

But what we have here is:

- Complete living ship quest line being locked behind online;

- Quincy shop being again locked behind online (its inventory is limited when you interact with it offline);

- Quicksilver can be farmed only online (the offline number is very limited so let's take it out of the formula).

So yeah, while I agree that the game is great and all, I'd argue that the decision was a good one, especially considering GOG policy.

I'm not saying to remove the game, but at least to tell hello games that they should fix this asap.
Yeah, I also hope that they will fix it. We'll see I guess...