It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Building castles in the sky.

No Man's Sky, the ambitious open-space exploration game in a procedurally-generated universe, just received a massive update appropriately named NEXT.

It brings a whole bunch of changes and additions across the board, most notably:

- Option to switch between first and third person view at will
- Visual upgrades to ships, NPCs, buildings, terrain textures, space vistas - pretty much everything
- You can now build far more complex bases anywhere on the planet
- Build your own fleet, upgrade it, and send it out or keep it close while exploring a system

The multiplayer element of NEXT is not yet included in the DRM-free edition of the game. Read more about the delay below:

"[i]From launch, the DRM-free edition of No Man's Sky will include all single-player content introduced by NEXT: third-person mode, upgraded visuals, better base building, player customization, and more.

However the multiplayer component will not be ready at launch; we expect it to be released later this year as full multiplayer parity remains in the pipeline.

For a small, independent studio, developing the feature across multiple platforms is a hugely ambitious and technical challenge which resulted in this delayed release. Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform.

We appreciate your immense support and patience.

- Hello Games & GOG.COM Team[/i]"
clarry: Pardon my short memory, what did Chucklefish do again?
I don't know what they're referring to with the 2+ years bit, but at least one thing they did was announce Wargroove for release here and when release day came it didn't arrive. It just stayed "coming soon" until last month when they announced that it wasn't coming here ever. I'd say they only strung us along for about 7-8 months in that instance though. It's possible supernet2ec is talking about a different incident.
Post edited October 23, 2019 by SirPrimalform
supernet2ec: chucklefish who jerked around the user basis for 2+yrs stringing us along until their guilty conscious forced them to be honest about it all.
clarry: Pardon my short memory, what did Chucklefish do again?
Moved Most of the dev team to other projects during the massive cash infusion from Starbound project, lied to their community about where devs were, made excuses by excuses i mean not telling the actual truth, that they just moved devs to other projects and that starbound development was slowed down significantly because of this, not telling the actual story after it was uncovered through basically just trial and error of identifying the projects they were working on and where folks were. Also shorted devs that did work on their game starbound meaning no financial credit, or credibility, but used their work, their assets, their code with out any monitary compensation. Thats just a portion, the other part was basically taking folks mods, and integrating it into the game, after slightly reworking the content, IE stolen work, then again if you change it just enough so its not stolen i guess its credible. Multiplayer mod that had some code utilized the modders worked on to make mp a functional thing before it was actually integrated into the game (starbound specifically during the 0.5 builds).

To much to go into, so inshort, just be straight forward with if its happening and what the plans/timeline is and keep the community updated, thats what they (chucklefish inc) failed to do until being hounded constantly on the steam platform. I dont think No Man's Sky by Hello games stole anything like what chucklefish has done though. Just using them as the easiest example of a big no no, next to Mighty No 9. and its PR cluster of a joke. So much to say.

How im relating this to chucklefish as a whole, is the whole starbound situation ontop of the No mans sky multiplayer update vaguely stating the same thing about it will be incorporated. Like how When they, hello games had a interview, they tried dodging and lying about the multiplayer component, until they realized after so much massive heat that, it was a bad decision to not incorporate it, so they actually finished it and got it implemented. I believe they will but i just want clarity on whats going on with it. https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/jul/20/no-mans-sky-next-hello-games-sean-murray-harassment-interview , more like a generalized update of were at this point in the project and its delayed but it has not stopped being worked on so to say. Thats what i mean.

Give us a update on the Multiplayer DRM free side of things because hacking in a multiplayer component to make the game run how i want on a lan i feel is unneccessary unless its a guarenteed abandoned endevour. Even more so with it being advertised with such but not having it. Things were changed or edited after the whole statement so thats where im coming from.

Edit:
Have to give credit where credit is do, at the end of the starbound absurdities, it came out better, but the major poor ai spawning code that causes issues on a variety of high end and mid range gaming hardware is where they are still to date dropping the ball. I gave up on creating personal mods to correct these issues. To messy to deal with the game.

Also, they did get a good chunk of what was mentioned in the original road map planning rso theres that, ontop of the platforms they released on, its just the fact it took them so long to be straightforward and state the facts, their having a hard time with it. I think the biggest thing to notice is that chucklefish regarding starbound, finally came out with what was stalling the process and actually started communicating with the community instead of running from being honest with the updates, or in us beta players cases, no updates even when updates were pushed out. They made great use of the beta channel update platform though. Just still though. jeeze shouldn't need that much community outrage on their forums, steam forums, iirc, discord, and on twitter to even get any type of information/updates.
Post edited October 23, 2019 by supernet2ec
Its may 6th 2021. What is going on with DRM-free multiplayer situation? I've seen no new news of it at all. Can i be pointed into the direction of whats going on if there is any regarding DRM-free MP?
Post edited May 06, 2021 by supernet2ec
Its April 9th 2022. Any update on drm free MP component?
supernet2ec: Its April 9th 2022. Any update on drm free MP component?
Nope, haven't heard a thing. Zilch. Nada. Rien. нічого. なし.

I'll let you know if I ever hear anything about it. If not, then you will not be hearing from me. Total silence.
yea about that i guess as early 3022?.
Pretty certain we've already got what they meant by "DRM-free multiplayer". At the time this news post was made, the GOG version didn't have any kind of multiplayer option, so what they were referring to is the Galaxy-powered multiplayer we eventually got.
Now I half assume you already know that and are feigning ignorance to make a point. I agree that they shouldn't have referred to multiplayer that requires Galaxy as "DRM-free multiplayer", but I do believe they have delivered what they intended to deliver.

Rather than pretending you're still waiting, it would be more constructive to contact Hello Games and ask for a multiplayer option that doesn't use Galaxy. It's unlikely to get you what you want, but I think it's probably more constructive than bumping this thread and asking for something which, as far as they are concerned, they have already delivered.

I agree with your point, but not necessarily your approach. :)
supernet2ec: Have to give credit where credit is do,
Where credit is do[ing] what?
Post edited April 11, 2022 by ettac cigam si eman ym
ettac cigam si eman ym: Pretty certain we've already got what they meant by "DRM-free multiplayer". At the time this news post was made, the GOG version didn't have any kind of multiplayer option, so what they were referring to is the Galaxy-powered multiplayer we eventually got.
Now I half assume you already know that and are feigning ignorance to make a point. I agree that they shouldn't have referred to multiplayer that requires Galaxy as "DRM-free multiplayer", but I do believe they have delivered what they intended to deliver.

Rather than pretending you're still waiting, it would be more constructive to contact Hello Games and ask for a multiplayer option that doesn't use Galaxy. It's unlikely to get you what you want, but I think it's probably more constructive than bumping this thread and asking for something which, as far as they are concerned, they have already delivered.

supernet2ec: Have to give credit where credit is do,
ettac cigam si eman ym: Where credit is do[ing] what?
As far as still waiting, i truly thought they'd implement a multiplayer drm free component of the game so that we could run our own servers. I wasn't trying to be ignorant or ignore this. But then again, im also tired of falsified titles, and GOG proclaiming selling "DRM FREE" but then implementing forced DRM (requiring to use their gog galaxy client for example) for the MP component is not DRM FREE. Besides GOG as a agency constantly lying more and more about what "DRM FREE" actually means, and then selling content, thats its own situation. I was hoping hello games would honestly release a DRM FREE build, or at least enable multiplayer local lan gameplay, since in the offline mode, its shown that the capability is already there (offline simulated planet uploads etc...). So it is more so a, direct response wanted from here, on the steam forums, in discord, and their website im hoping they'll clarify it solidly regarding this portion (DRM-free multiplayer). Was it a lie? Or not? Because as far as stating DRM FREE will go, its not DRM FREE multiplayer component wise tied to forced authentication.

Regarding the credit is do.. I was referring the credit of not giving up, that starbound was "completed" and not completely and totally abandoned. Look into chuckle fish games. And their starbound title, it at least was completed on the pc front, i can't say the same for the console version though. That was absolutely abandoned from the looks of it.
ettac cigam si eman ym: Pretty certain we've already got what they meant by "DRM-free multiplayer". At the time this news post was made, the GOG version didn't have any kind of multiplayer option, so what they were referring to is the Galaxy-powered multiplayer we eventually got.

Where credit is do[ing] what?
supernet2ec: As far as still waiting, i truly thought they'd implement a multiplayer drm free component of the game so that we could run our own servers. I wasn't trying to be ignorant or ignore this. But then again, im also tired of falsified titles, and GOG proclaiming selling "DRM FREE" but then implementing forced DRM (requiring to use their gog galaxy client for example) for the MP component is not DRM FREE. Besides GOG as a agency constantly lying more and more about what "DRM FREE" actually means, and then selling content, thats its own situation. I was hoping hello games would honestly release a DRM FREE build, or at least enable multiplayer local lan gameplay, since in the offline mode, its shown that the capability is already there (offline simulated planet uploads etc...). So it is more so a, direct response wanted from here, on the steam forums, in discord, and their website im hoping they'll clarify it solidly regarding this portion (DRM-free multiplayer). Was it a lie? Or not? Because as far as stating DRM FREE will go, its not DRM FREE multiplayer component wise tied to forced authentication.

Regarding the credit is do.. I was referring the credit of not giving up, that starbound was "completed" and not completely and totally abandoned. Look into chuckle fish games. And their starbound title, it at least was completed on the pc front, i can't say the same for the console version though. That was absolutely abandoned from the looks of it.
I don't disagree with what's you're saying, although I personally think they're unlikely to give you what you want any time soon but maybe when they're considering shutting down the servers they'll release a standalone server?

As for the credit, I was highlighting the fact the you wrote "do" instead of "due" rendering the phrase nonsense. They aren't the same word. :P
Post edited September 08, 2022 by my name is grompy catte
Yeahhh typo, i never went and corrected it since interpretation kinda kicked in for most. But yeah, i mean... the games framework is there already for local lan, its just a matter of them enabling it, so we can run 2 clients, and they both see each other w/out a wrapper/gog login to authenticate. Just a matter of Hello Games enabling local lan mp w/out authentication and users not needing to use external program/wrapper to enable a local lan that allows you to see other players on the same lan.

But yeah we can only hope. I mean look at how far the games come now, years later after the original launch. So theres still hope for such a release to come to us in the future.
supernet2ec: Yeahhh typo, i never went and corrected it since interpretation kinda kicked in for most. But yeah, i mean... the games framework is there already for local lan, its just a matter of them enabling it, so we can run 2 clients, and they both see each other w/out a wrapper/gog login to authenticate. Just a matter of Hello Games enabling local lan mp w/out authentication and users not needing to use external program/wrapper to enable a local lan that allows you to see other players on the same lan.

But yeah we can only hope. I mean look at how far the games come now, years later after the original launch. So theres still hope for such a release to come to us in the future.
But at the moment isn't it two clients communicating with a server run by Hello Games rather than communicating with each other directly?
supernet2ec: Yeahhh typo, i never went and corrected it since interpretation kinda kicked in for most. But yeah, i mean... the games framework is there already for local lan, its just a matter of them enabling it, so we can run 2 clients, and they both see each other w/out a wrapper/gog login to authenticate. Just a matter of Hello Games enabling local lan mp w/out authentication and users not needing to use external program/wrapper to enable a local lan that allows you to see other players on the same lan.

my name is grompy catte: But at the moment isn't it two clients communicating with a server run by Hello Games rather than communicating with each other directly?
That i know of that works with the current version yes thats how it works.

There was a wrapper utility that allowed LAN mp on the NEXT build by using the wrapper to force lan support. I don't know how to get it anymore since its seemed to have vanished
my name is grompy catte: But at the moment isn't it two clients communicating with a server run by Hello Games rather than communicating with each other directly?
supernet2ec: That i know of that works with the current version yes thats how it works.

There was a wrapper utility that allowed LAN mp on the NEXT build by using the wrapper to force lan support. I don't know how to get it anymore since its seemed to have vanished
That's quite surprising considering the in-game universe is persistent and "massively online".
supernet2ec: That i know of that works with the current version yes thats how it works.

my name is grompy catte: That's quite surprising considering the in-game universe is persistent and "massively online".
I just know it worked. Thats about it, given the proof of concept was there way back during NEXT. Thats why i bought the game finally. Then i discover its not gonna happen from the looks of it. Sold lies, and broken promises. Normal for Hello games, and GOG it seems given their recent increase in DRM tied content for their games they sell.