It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Building castles in the sky.

No Man's Sky, the ambitious open-space exploration game in a procedurally-generated universe, just received a massive update appropriately named NEXT.

It brings a whole bunch of changes and additions across the board, most notably:

- Option to switch between first and third person view at will
- Visual upgrades to ships, NPCs, buildings, terrain textures, space vistas - pretty much everything
- You can now build far more complex bases anywhere on the planet
- Build your own fleet, upgrade it, and send it out or keep it close while exploring a system

The multiplayer element of NEXT is not yet included in the DRM-free edition of the game. Read more about the delay below:

"[i]From launch, the DRM-free edition of No Man's Sky will include all single-player content introduced by NEXT: third-person mode, upgraded visuals, better base building, player customization, and more.

However the multiplayer component will not be ready at launch; we expect it to be released later this year as full multiplayer parity remains in the pipeline.

For a small, independent studio, developing the feature across multiple platforms is a hugely ambitious and technical challenge which resulted in this delayed release. Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform.

We appreciate your immense support and patience.

- Hello Games & GOG.COM Team[/i]"
No Man's Sky "Next" update now live
Sky Next update now live
Skynet update now live
uh-oh
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Matewis
But are you aware that you can fully "pirate" gog game and it still will be viable to launch from galaxy with all its sweetness? How DRMish is it? If you want lan party times then go tell this to game producers not game sellers as it is ridiculous what you are doing right now.
cdaragorn: I understand why it's easy to equate it with DRM, but the fact is it isn't. It doesn't try to prevent you from using the software. It doesn't do anything to try to verify that your software isn't pirated in some way.
It is only being used as a tool to connect to other players. That is not DRM. It might not be how you would prefer it to work and I can totally get on board with that, but it is absolutely not the same thing as DRM.
shroomtec: You won't be able to play online without Galaxy.

So, yes, it's easy: either Galaxy is tied to your account and only allows to play if you actually own the game, in that case It IS DRM by definition as DRM stands for Digital Rights Management; either you can use Galaxy without linking a GOG account and then yes, it IS NOT DRM.

I'd like to add that I'm not against DRM but I'm annoyed by the fact that they don't call things by their name.
In my case I'll openly admit that I despise DRM and that's half the reason I bought something on GOG instead of Steam.
The problem with equating this requirement with DRM is that the requirement has nothing to do with managing the right's owners rights to the digital content. It doesn't prevent you from using the software. It's only used as a method to connect you to other players. It does not prevent you from playing the game if you don't actually own it. I'm not sure why everyone thinks that it's checking for that but I've tested it and proven that it doesn't.

Yes that is a limitation on how you can use the software but again that limitation has nothing to do with the rights management of the software. It's just a limitation because of a ridiculous choice on the part of the devs of the software.

To give another analogy calling the requirement for Galaxy to connect to other players DRM is the same as calling the requirement to have a network card or internet service to connect to other players DRM. The fact that there is a limitation does not make that limitation DRM.
Runaurufu: But are you aware that you can fully "pirate" gog game and it still will be viable to launch from galaxy with all its sweetness? How DRMish is it? If you want lan party times then go tell this to game producers not game sellers as it is ridiculous what you are doing right now.
You do know that people are not complaining as much about the missing multiplayer feature as much as about GOG not informing people in time, right? They only announced this many hours after all other platforms were already online and playing just fine, and after delaying the launch on their end.
trusteft: Perhaps GOG should change the wording of the news.
You can't have both drm-free multiplayer and require an online client to authenticate your game.

It just doesn't compute.
Zoidberg: To have a mutiplayer, you NEED some form of authentication, it's by definition.

This is no lan game...
A game that could do host/client play without connecting to a central or decentralized server system would indeed be DRM capable. We've all played those types of games with friends.

However, I think GOG and Hello Games are viewing DRM as specifically the injection of additional software into the game which checks validity and not the act of logging into a server system.
Zoidberg: To have a mutiplayer, you NEED some form of authentication, it's by definition.

This is no lan game...
UncleElias: A game that could do host/client play without connecting to a central or decentralized server system would indeed be DRM capable. We've all played those types of games with friends.

However, I think GOG and Hello Games are viewing DRM as specifically the injection of additional software into the game which checks validity and not the act of logging into a server system.
Yeah, that was what I meant.

I mean, in a multiplayer game, especially those with recurrent data, one need to have at least an authentication to keep those data in a distant server. There's not necessarilly DRM, unless you count the created account as one.

NMS is no Duke Nukem 3D.
Simple solution for the MP problem:

A FREE STEAM KEY for all GOG Users to get full access to MP support.

Problem solved, shitstorn (again) avoid.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Turbotobi
Wow. So much whining. I'm happy that we'll be getting the graphical updates, etc. If the developers need more time to make multiplayer work on GOG, so be it. Certainly not GOG's fault, and the developers have provided enough in the way of support and updates that I have no trouble believing they will eventually be able to follow through. I think I can wait a bit for multiplayer. Besides, if I don't get it, I'll play multiplayer on something else. Warframe is good and it's free.

If your life really revolves around multiplayer NMS that much, you need to get out more. Just my opinion, of course.
cdaragorn: In my case I'll openly admit that I despise DRM and that's half the reason I bought something on GOG instead of Steam.
The problem with equating this requirement with DRM is that the requirement has nothing to do with managing the right's owners rights to the digital content. It doesn't prevent you from using the software. It's only used as a method to connect you to other players. It does not prevent you from playing the game if you don't actually own it. I'm not sure why everyone thinks that it's checking for that but I've tested it and proven that it doesn't.

Yes that is a limitation on how you can use the software but again that limitation has nothing to do with the rights management of the software. It's just a limitation because of a ridiculous choice on the part of the devs of the software.

To give another analogy calling the requirement for Galaxy to connect to other players DRM is the same as calling the requirement to have a network card or internet service to connect to other players DRM. The fact that there is a limitation does not make that limitation DRM.
I men, it does check whether you own it or not, but all you get is a friendly message saying "Maybe you should buy this" and a not connected notice for the game in question. Game launches fine. I tried out Elex in that manner before I bought it just to see if it would run well on my machine. It did. I bought it.
shroomtec: You won't be able to play online without Galaxy.

So, yes, it's easy: either Galaxy is tied to your account and only allows to play if you actually own the game, in that case It IS DRM by definition as DRM stands for Digital Rights Management; either you can use Galaxy without linking a GOG account and then yes, it IS NOT DRM.

I'd like to add that I'm not against DRM but I'm annoyed by the fact that they don't call things by their name.
cdaragorn: [...].
[...]
I don't think you're getting what I'm saying ;)

The whole reason for buying games at GOG is the fact that you're supposed to have a completely DRM-free experience. It means the two following things:
- be able to install the game while being offline (yes, it still can happen in 2018)
- be able to play both the single-player AND the multiplayer sides of the game without having the game to check for a valid license

So when I read on a store page that a game requires Galaxy in order to access the online features, I understand that my experience won't be completely DRM-free as Galaxy is obviously tied to your account and that it will obviously check that you have valid license.

Once again, the issue here is not having the game protected. Studios have every right to protect their work. But for me it's extremely easy: it's either DRM-free or it is not. No in-between. Even if it's not an intrusive DRM.
If I have to install another client to play my games, I'd rather buy said games at the main competitor as making Galaxy mandatory (even if it's only for specific features) defeats the purpose of not buying on Steam.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by shroomtec
cdaragorn: [...].
[...]
shroomtec: I don't think you're getting what I'm saying ;)

The whole reason for buying games at GOG is the fact that you're supposed to have a completely DRM-free experience. It means the two following things:
- be able to install the game while being offline (yes, it still can happen in 2018)
- be able to play both the single-player AND the multiplayer sides of the game without having the game to check for a valid license

So when I read on a store page that a game requires Galaxy in order to access the online features, I understand that my experience won't be completely DRM-free as Galaxy is obviously tied to your account and that it will obviously check that you have valid license.

Once again, the issue here is not having the game protected. Studios have every right to protect their work. But for me it's extremely easy: it's either DRM-free or it is not. No in-between. Even if it's not an intrusive DRM.
If I have to install another client to play my games, I'd rather buy said games at the main competitor as making Galaxy mandatory (even if it's only for specific features) defeats the purpose of not buying on Steam.
That's my whole point, though. Galaxy DOESN'T check for a valid license. It checks to see if you own the game in GOG (which is not the same thing as checking for a valid license), but it doesn't prevent you from playing either the single or multiplayer portion of the game. It just uses Galaxy to connect you to your friends list. All it's checking GOG for is to use the auto-update features from GOG. When it sees you don't own a copy on GOG it just steps away from updating it from there and lets you manage it since you know where you got it from.

When you say it will "obviously" do something you're making assumptions about how it will work. I've tested those assumptions with other games and from what I can see right now it doesn't look like that's how it will work. Yes it's annoying that it will require this tool just to play with your friends, but calling it DRM is trying to make it sound a lot worse than it is.
Not interested in multiplayer so I don't mind if it won't be included at all.
However, giving away free Steam keys or finding another way (maybe adding free store points to wallet or whatever) to satisfy customers interested in multiplayer, would be a sign of client oriented politics.
As a single player gamer, I say nothing of value was lost.
cdaragorn: That's my whole point, though. Galaxy DOESN'T check for a valid license.
Interesting stuff. I could've sworn I asked about this before and the answer at the time was that it did check but if it doesn't that changes things a lot.
I'm frustrated by the lack of multiplayer. Not because I want to play with friends--none of my friends plays this game. I want the game to feel less lonely, even if it's just knowing there's a remote possibility that I might encounter another explorer.

I like GOG and generally prefer to buy games here than Steam, but had I known when I bought this game last winter that the GOG version wouldn't be seeing the same features as the Steam version, I would have bought it on Steam instead. I'm not looking to whine and complain about GOG or Hello Games here. I just wish I had known that there would be a difference in the game's content across platforms from the start.