It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Building castles in the sky.

No Man's Sky, the ambitious open-space exploration game in a procedurally-generated universe, just received a massive update appropriately named NEXT.

It brings a whole bunch of changes and additions across the board, most notably:

- Option to switch between first and third person view at will
- Visual upgrades to ships, NPCs, buildings, terrain textures, space vistas - pretty much everything
- You can now build far more complex bases anywhere on the planet
- Build your own fleet, upgrade it, and send it out or keep it close while exploring a system

The multiplayer element of NEXT is not yet included in the DRM-free edition of the game. Read more about the delay below:

"[i]From launch, the DRM-free edition of No Man's Sky will include all single-player content introduced by NEXT: third-person mode, upgraded visuals, better base building, player customization, and more.

However the multiplayer component will not be ready at launch; we expect it to be released later this year as full multiplayer parity remains in the pipeline.

For a small, independent studio, developing the feature across multiple platforms is a hugely ambitious and technical challenge which resulted in this delayed release. Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform.

We appreciate your immense support and patience.

- Hello Games & GOG.COM Team[/i]"
dragoon23: That's fair enough, but aren't you at least in a position to take these questions to those who can answer?

Surely you understand that people are upset at not only missing features, but in the way and time it was revealed to them?

It seems now really isn't the time for a slow response..... especially as GOG was so quick to retract a twitter post that implied support of GamerGate.
Linko90: I am, but as the statement informs, it's a pretty clear and concise breakdown of the current situation. As for your last comment, I really do not see the correlation between the two events, they're both totally different and I think you know this deep down. I understand the frustrations but as I said, I can only answer what I can. Hope this clears things up!
as i see it we are getting screwed over and we can't do anything about it. too bad it's been a couple of years now and we can't really get a refund so that we buy the game on steam instead.. cause it seems that steam does a better job for their users >_>
So can we get info about plans of being able to crossplatfrom with steam users?

IMO that's gotta be included as well when you already take extra time to get it done for the GOG Version
low rated
Zoidberg: To have a mutiplayer, you NEED some form of authentication, it's by definition.

This is no lan game...
trusteft: No you don't.
I play multiplayer games online since the 90s. It's not a requirement unless you make it.
Playing multiplayer online doesn't require you to know anything about how it works, and your post is proof of that.
I play multiplayer games online since the 90s. It's not a requirement unless you make it.
Zoidberg: Playing multiplayer online doesn't require you to know anything about how it works, and your post is proof of that.
*sigh*
Linko90: I am, but as the statement informs, it's a pretty clear and concise breakdown of the current situation. As for your last comment, I really do not see the correlation between the two events, they're both totally different and I think you know this deep down. I understand the frustrations but as I said, I can only answer what I can. Hope this clears things up!
xlord.479: as i see it we are getting screwed over and we can't do anything about it. too bad it's been a couple of years now and we can't really get a refund so that we buy the game on steam instead.. cause it seems that steam does a better job for their users >_>
Because you're being screwed out of something rather than being told that multiplayer functionality is being delayed for the GOG version not cancelled. Odds are both GOG and Hello Games are working on getting the issue sorted but one thing I do find rather amusing is the fact you'd mention GOG's retraction of the "Game Journalism" tweet when this scenario is symptomatic of poor Games' Journalism (how you may ask? Journos are supposed to ask stupid questions like "Is the multiplayer functionality rolling out for all platforms and versions of the game simultaneously? As that seems like a lot of work and a lot of room for fuck ups" but they didn't and now here you are).
xlord.479: as i see it we are getting screwed over and we can't do anything about it. too bad it's been a couple of years now and we can't really get a refund so that we buy the game on steam instead.. cause it seems that steam does a better job for their users >_>
Black1Wolf2: Because you're being screwed out of something rather than being told that multiplayer functionality is being delayed for the GOG version not cancelled. Odds are both GOG and Hello Games are working on getting the issue sorted but one thing I do find rather amusing is the fact you'd mention GOG's retraction of the "Game Journalism" tweet when this scenario is symptomatic of poor Games' Journalism (how you may ask? Journos are supposed to ask stupid questions like "Is the multiplayer functionality rolling out for all platforms and versions of the game simultaneously? As that seems like a lot of work and a lot of room for fuck ups" but they didn't and now here you are).
It will NEVER be DRM free multiplayer as GOG is STILL saying.

"NO MAN'S SKY "NEXT" UPDATE NOW LIVE - DRM-FREE MULTIPLAYER DELAYED"

"Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform."

Galaxy is, BY DEFINITION, DRM.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Skabb15
high rated
dragoon23: That's fair enough, but aren't you at least in a position to take these questions to those who can answer?

Surely you understand that people are upset at not only missing features, but in the way and time it was revealed to them?

It seems now really isn't the time for a slow response..... especially as GOG was so quick to retract a twitter post that implied support of GamerGate.
i feel like the problem can safely be summed up as:

multiplayer is a pretty big feature.
it must have been obvious [early on] that it was probably not going to make it into the gog build.
you and hello games were BOTH privy to this information.
you did not inform your customers of the situation as soon as you could [that is, the moment it became apparent that the multiplayer portion of the patch simply wouldn't work out.]
THIS, i think, is the point of frustration for most users.

i have a love/hate relationship with gog at this point, and this is one of the biggest problems with gog for me. you just don't communicate enough [or communicate timeously.]

we've had famous debacles where you've just sat and let things stew before you've done anything [the most recent such was when you implemented public facing profiles for everyone without our buy-in.] and this is just one more log that's slowly building into a flaming bonfire.

if there's one thing i'd like you to take back to your superiors from this mess, it's this:

please COMMUNICATE MORE and MORE FREQUENTLY.

[not at all related: dingdingdingding. 1k rep. thanks to everyone who's passed me rep across the last seven years :)]
Post edited July 25, 2018 by lostwolfe
What about the events that are taking place in the weeks to come? I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get them either.
Zoidberg: Playing multiplayer online doesn't require you to know anything about how it works, and your post is proof of that.
Insulting people is not helping your position.
Authentication is definitely used in most multiplayer games today. It is not however required. It does improve the experience IMHO, but I honestly see this as not the real issue with what HG has done.
The problem is not that they use authentication, it's that they hooked themselves into one platform's authentication. It would not have been difficult to just let players identify other players in game as those they want to play with and just use that. Instead they made a monumental mistake of acting like ONE platform (Steam) was somehow ALL of PC players and market it like that. I honestly feel lied to again because of what was probably an ignorant marketing mistake.

The excuse after that making multiplayer "across platforms" is just insulting and quite honestly ignorant on their parts IMO. Steam and GOG should never be treated as separate platforms for connecting to other people in the game. That's intentionally limiting the power of what you have available to you on the PC platform to a ridiculous extent. For those of us with actual experience networking and connecting users in a meaningful way this is a ridiculous restriction to put on yourself and your users. There's simply no good technical reason for it to be there.
cdaragorn: Insulting people is not helping your position.
Tell that to the people who post here, insulting gog and the devs without any valid reason.

My position needs no help.

Respectfully, the Statement is not that clear.... It just says "Multiplayer", Community events may be part of that; but the weekly updates with new content, and the future cosmetics store is vague as to whether that is accessable to single player.

The correlation is communication and resolution...but your right, this is more about buying a product, and then getting lesser service. This was already the case after the Atlas Rising update; where the promised fix never arrived. Trust is pretty thin on the ground right now. Especially in the poor way the information was released.

I should say, I appreciate your taking the time to respond;I don't want to be one of those angry forum people that makes your life harder ^_- .
I just hope the people in power at GOG are seeing how bad and unncapetable this situation is; and that "later in the year" is simply not good enough.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond
Skabb15: "Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform."

I understand why it's easy to equate it with DRM, but the fact is it isn't. It doesn't try to prevent you from using the software. It doesn't do anything to try to verify that your software isn't pirated in some way.
It is only being used as a tool to connect to other players. That is not DRM. It might not be how you would prefer it to work and I can totally get on board with that, but it is absolutely not the same thing as DRM.
Skabb15: "Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform."

cdaragorn: I understand why it's easy to equate it with DRM, but the fact is it isn't. It doesn't try to prevent you from using the software. It doesn't do anything to try to verify that your software isn't pirated in some way.
It is only being used as a tool to connect to other players. That is not DRM. It might not be how you would prefer it to work and I can totally get on board with that, but it is absolutely not the same thing as DRM.
It is absolutely DRM and you are just being a fanboy. The reason they are requiring galaxy is to prevent me from distributing the game to all my friends and playing multiplayer with one copy of the game. ALL non LAN, multiplayer GOG games do this. That IS "DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT". Im sorry but not sorry that your ego and buyers bias leads you to defend my assertion that water is wet but being in denial because you like something does not change reality.
cdaragorn: Insulting people is not helping your position.
Zoidberg: Tell that to the people who post here, insulting gog and the devs without any valid reason.

My position needs no help.
You not understanding the reason is not "without any valid reason". Thats like saying that people who can do calculus are delusional because you cant figure it out. Its like the way third graders beully those they are jealous of. What grade are you in?
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Skabb15

cdaragorn: I understand why it's easy to equate it with DRM, but the fact is it isn't. It doesn't try to prevent you from using the software. It doesn't do anything to try to verify that your software isn't pirated in some way.
You won't be able to play online without Galaxy.

So, yes, it's easy: either Galaxy is tied to your account and only allows to play if you actually own the game, in that case It IS DRM by definition as DRM stands for Digital Rights Management; either you can use Galaxy without linking a GOG account and then yes, it IS NOT DRM.

I'd like to add that I'm not against DRM but I'm annoyed by the fact that they don't call things by their name.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by shroomtec
@Skabb15 You seriously need to cut the insults. GOG Galaxy doesn't actually prevent you from doing what you claim it does. Yes it's not good that it forces you to use it as the tool to connect other people and yes other games have done it far better in the past. That doesn't make this as bad as you want it to be.