It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Building castles in the sky.

No Man's Sky, the ambitious open-space exploration game in a procedurally-generated universe, just received a massive update appropriately named NEXT.

It brings a whole bunch of changes and additions across the board, most notably:

- Option to switch between first and third person view at will
- Visual upgrades to ships, NPCs, buildings, terrain textures, space vistas - pretty much everything
- You can now build far more complex bases anywhere on the planet
- Build your own fleet, upgrade it, and send it out or keep it close while exploring a system

The multiplayer element of NEXT is not yet included in the DRM-free edition of the game. Read more about the delay below:

"[i]From launch, the DRM-free edition of No Man's Sky will include all single-player content introduced by NEXT: third-person mode, upgraded visuals, better base building, player customization, and more.

However the multiplayer component will not be ready at launch; we expect it to be released later this year as full multiplayer parity remains in the pipeline.

For a small, independent studio, developing the feature across multiple platforms is a hugely ambitious and technical challenge which resulted in this delayed release. Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform.

We appreciate your immense support and patience.

- Hello Games & GOG.COM Team[/i]"
ThorChild: Let people use GOG connect for NMS, so those that really must play MP (as promised) can transfer their GOG purchase to their Steam accounts and play the game they paid for here, help ease the levels of toxicity :)
RWarehall: GoG Connect doesn't work that way. It can only allow you a GoG copy if you own it on Steam, not the other way around. That said, maybe the publisher can do something about it.
Shame, that would have been an easy fix. Still it looks like they are giving people refunds (going to hurt!) as the current solution to those that have to have MP right now.

What a mess :(
Interesting, I'll have to check this out. Hello Games does appear to have pulled an Egosoft and turned a notoriously disastrous, overhyped launch into something decently enjoyable and more content is always a good thing. Hopefully the fleet stuff is more approachable than freighters were in the previous few versions...it took a *lot* of grinding to get even a basic one at which point the game really loses its charm.

Re: the multiplayer fiasco, I can't say I like this but it's not clear who gets to wear the dunce cap. No LAN mode sucks and not offering that is entirely on Hello Games, but LAN mode has always been somewhat of a niche and it's not hard to see that getting lower priority than, say, making freighters suck less or a new type of base building that everyone in all game modes will get to use. And rightly or wrongly, most game developers have farmed out multiplayer functionality to someone else's APIs rather than do it all in house. I tend to give a pass on MP shenanigans, partly because I personally don't care about it and partly because my extensive collection of old games with broken MP because the developer went out of business or simply pulled the plug on the matchmaking server suggests that the in-house, distributor agnostic approach isn't all it's cracked up to be.
rusty20080: OK, I'm cool with this. At least they have confirmed they are working on it, and we will have multiplayer at some point. Not all that fussed about multiplayer anyway, it's more of a nice to have. By nice to have, I do want it though GOG and HG!

Seriously, well done HG, this is incredible work! Can't wait to see what the future brings!
Totally agree .This update is incredible over succeded my exectations :) Star at the night sky long enough at least on a ringed planed there is meteor storms streaking across the sky. Thank you Sean Murray and Hello games, Well done. About Multiplayer.....Fk multiplayer Never liked multi because of all the bullshit that comes with it. The first thing I was going to do when I got the update wsa toggle multiplayer off LOL
Personally I am happy with no multiplayer. My only concern is are there any other elements from new update not included in gog version as buying this from gog saves $10 for us Australians right now. Can anyone confirm if there are any other elements removed from the game or not?
mechmouse: Absolutely Not

Steam Needs a direct competitor, and GoG's the closest thing available.

GoG is doing both, old games keep coming in, but they should also be getting new game too.

I'm here because I don't want my games controlled by a 3rd party, specially one as restrictive as Steam.

Does it suck we're missing out, yes.

But GoG are working with Hello games to give us an equal product.
I agree that Steam needs competition, but this won't do. GOG will lose a lot of sales now, because they are selling an inferior product, they aren't competitive anymore.
Furthermore, this only confirms that buying new games on GOG is very risky and people are going to avoid it. This won't help in the long run.
In my opinion, when gog signs a contract (or whatever it is) to sell a game, they should demand from developer/publisher to get the same product all the time as on other platforms or else developer would pay huge fines. I don't know, maybe this sounds obvious or silly, or maybe gog is doing that already. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it can't go on like this for customers if gog wants to be competitive.
From my side, I can only say that I will never buy a big and pricey game like NMS or, let's say, Darksiders 3 here at full price, because it's a too big risk. With a 80% discount, later on, knowing what I'm getting - yeah, but day one, full price -hell no.
mechmouse: Absolutely Not

Steam Needs a direct competitor, and GoG's the closest thing available.

GoG is doing both, old games keep coming in, but they should also be getting new game too.

I'm here because I don't want my games controlled by a 3rd party, specially one as restrictive as Steam.

Does it suck we're missing out, yes.

But GoG are working with Hello games to give us an equal product.
inc09nito: I agree that Steam needs competition, but this won't do. GOG will lose a lot of sales now, because they are selling an inferior product, they aren't competitive anymore.
Furthermore, this only confirms that buying new games on GOG is very risky and people are going to avoid it. This won't help in the long run.
In my opinion, when gog signs a contract (or whatever it is) to sell a game, they should demand from developer/publisher to get the same product all the time as on other platforms or else developer would pay huge fines. I don't know, maybe this sounds obvious or silly, or maybe gog is doing that already. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it can't go on like this for customers if gog wants to be competitive.
From my side, I can only say that I will never buy a big and pricey game like NMS or, let's say, Darksiders 3 here at full price, because it's a too big risk. With a 80% discount, later on, knowing what I'm getting - yeah, but day one, full price -hell no.
I agree but it is somewhat difficult
Tarhiel: Well, I am disappointed, not gonna say I am not.

If the Steam has it now and we don´t I get people getting disillusioned (again) - given that the whole reason behind this update is the multiplayer itself.
But the reason Hello Games stated is believable given scope of their company, and working closely with GOG is a nice touch, so I will wait.

This time.

Can´t blame those who won´t.
Fins_FinsT: Highly subjective. There are plenty people, even in this topic there are some, who easily disagree about MP being "whole reason" of NEXT. Myself included.

Next, not all of us are disappointed. I've seen people saying that they are _not_ going MP in NMS, because they prefer it as a single player, now and ever. YMMV! ;)

And about blaming people who diss GOG because of this case, - yep, can't blame them. But not because they are so right, - that, again, is highly subjective; simply because it's silly to blame people for doing what they want, whatever it'd be, in such a case. Heck, it ain't like they are starting World War 3 or somesuch by "jumping GOG ship", right? :D
I disagree with it being highly subjective.
This game has been a disappointment from the start, they (hello games) broke promises before, so getting people disillusioned now is not surprising.
Again, main feature this patch was advertised with, was multiplayer - so GOG customers getting the short straw of the bargain again (!) is in no way subjective and I understand those who want refunds.

I don´t. I value DRM-free stance far more than one mishandled game (by developer).

Since you mentioned GOG - In no way I have blamed GOG for anything, just to be clear. I am very well aware they have nothing to do with this.
I don't care about multiplayer for my sake, turning it off anyway if it's there. But I remember a time when games didn't rely on Steamservers, instead they used inhouse or other third party servers that would allow them to code the multiplayer part of their games to work on any platform if they so wished.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by ELFswe
gamingsince90: Personally I am happy with no multiplayer. My only concern is are there any other elements from new update not included in gog version as buying this from gog saves $10 for us Australians right now. Can anyone confirm if there are any other elements removed from the game or not?
I would like to know this as well
gamingsince90: Personally I am happy with no multiplayer. My only concern is are there any other elements from new update not included in gog version as buying this from gog saves $10 for us Australians right now. Can anyone confirm if there are any other elements removed from the game or not?
MasterW: I would like to know this as well
As the statement mentions, it's the multiplayer that is not present. Hope this clears things up.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Linko90
Flammablezeus: If they even add it. They never added the Atlas Rises multiplayer either. I wouldn't get your hopes up. Request a refund or Steam key from GoG/HelloGames.
mantes: How can I request steam key? I have the game for over a year..
go to your profile, find your NMS order, open a ticket. Maybe you'll get lucky. After this, I've asked for refund from GOG and Hello Games, let's see what happens.
no multiplayer also means no weekly community events! and even if we get multiplayer (which i doubt) it will by GOG only - so we cannot play with Steam users? I am the only one among my friends using the GOG version...

this is the first "big" game i ever bought on GOG because i wanted to move away from Steam and its DRM... big mistake, won't happen again.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by grzlhmpf
I noticed that no man's sky is now 50%, why didn't you write for how long it will be on sale?
I need to know !
Please tell me.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by cybddr
cybddr: I noticed that no man's sky is now 50%, why didn't you write for how long it will be on sale?
I need to know !
Please tell me.
7 days.
GOG.com: Building castles in the sky.

No Man's Sky, the ambitious open-space exploration game in a procedurally-generated universe, just received a massive update appropriately named NEXT.

It brings a whole bunch of changes and additions across the board, most notably:

- Option to switch between first and third person view at will
- Visual upgrades to ships, NPCs, buildings, terrain textures, space vistas - pretty much everything
- You can now build far more complex bases anywhere on the planet
- Build your own fleet, upgrade it, and send it out or keep it close while exploring a system

The multiplayer element of NEXT is not yet included in the DRM-free edition of the game. Read more about the delay below:

"[i]From launch, the DRM-free edition of No Man's Sky will include all single-player content introduced by NEXT: third-person mode, upgraded visuals, better base building, player customization, and more.

However the multiplayer component will not be ready at launch; we expect it to be released later this year as full multiplayer parity remains in the pipeline.

For a small, independent studio, developing the feature across multiple platforms is a hugely ambitious and technical challenge which resulted in this delayed release. Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform.

We appreciate your immense support and patience.

- Hello Games & GOG.COM Team[/i]"
IIs there a way I can transfer the game progress to the game purchased through steam? My sons are playing and Im missing out. I dont mind buying the game again I just want to enjoy it with my sons on Steam. Thank you