It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Lifthrasil: d) at the very least they could keep the last version of the game without the DRM available as offline backup installer. In that way everyone who wants it could download a 100% DRM-free version.
But that version is basically included in the current version, no?

In the older version you don't get the Living Ship plus a ton of other (completely offline working) upgrades.
In the current version, playing offline, you don't get the Living Ship, but you get all the other upgrades (and there's a ton).

Makes no sense for me to use an older version, like, at all.
I'm 100% convinced CDPR will put some sneaksy surprise into Cyberpunk 2077... something that would entice people to TRY GOG GALAXY, if you catch my drift.

Calling it now (I've been calling it for years, actually, but it bears repeating now that the moment of truth is almost at hand): Cyberpunk 2077 will have some form of "soft" DRM (like features being locked behind an online account). We'll know in a couple of days. I'm keeping my popcorn ready!
toxicTom: Makes no sense for me to use an older version, like, at all.
Well it might depend on what 'value' you give to those updates? I have an issue 'as is' with exocraft and their indiscriminate environmental destruction just from using them, that having a big stomping mech to destroy all the flora and fauna 'by accident' is just salt in that wound (like why would an 'explorer' that can discover and catalogue thousands of life-forms be 'ok' with wanton destruction of that life? It is so discordant to be game immersion breaking, but the MP 'kill it all' crowd do not even consider this sort of depth of thought).

Or adding a rip-off horror System Shock 2-a-like aspect, in a game that originally was about exploration and wonder at the sheer beauty of the universe?

Or adding zillions of updates for just the MP side of the game i never want to play, let alone connect to a server that will 'pollute' my game universe with the other players 'good ideas' (ie not good ideas)?

Measurable 'progress' is not a linear line. Just because something is new does not make it factually 'better' (Windows 10 over previous Windows for example), and as often been the case with NMS since launch every new update/patch would be mix of good ideas and bad ideas.

It just so happens to me and my specific value that i give NMS as a game (and concept) ALL the focus on MP has degraded the overall original games amazing ideas, mostly.

So yes an older version can have more value than the latest, which is why i absolutely play (modded) an older version of NMS.
Post edited December 02, 2020 by ThorChild
ThorChild: So yes an older version can have more value than the latest.
Ok, from that point of view... but in that case the so-called "DRM" isn't the issue at all, but the general problem that you can't get the offline installers of older versions of any game. The only way back is through Galaxy unless you backed up the older installers.

There are other examples - for instance in the original release of Witcher 3 crafting items and food had actual weight. Some people liked that. Or the art changes in Chuchel.
fronzelneekburm: I'm 100% convinced CDPR will put some sneaksy surprise into Cyberpunk 2077... something that would entice people to TRY GOG GALAXY, if you catch my drift.

Calling it now (I've been calling it for years, actually, but it bears repeating now that the moment of truth is almost at hand): Cyberpunk 2077 will have some form of "soft" DRM (like features being locked behind an online account). We'll know in a couple of days. I'm keeping my popcorn ready!
I very much hope not. If so, my interest levels in Cyberpunk will be effectively zero and it would be a huge red flag for me to more seriously consider other DRM-free stores besides GOG.
fronzelneekburm: I'm 100% convinced ... We'll know in a couple of days. I'm keeping my popcorn ready!
Now where's my "CP2077 isn't fully DRM-free" thread.. you wanna make one already so I don't lose track of things when the drama begins? ;3
ThorChild: So yes an older version can have more value than the latest.
toxicTom: Ok, from that point of view... but in that case the so-called "DRM" isn't the issue at all, but the general problem that you can't get the offline installers of older versions of any game. The only way back is through Galaxy unless you backed up the older installers.
Galaxy only works here if you use it (and many do not)! So from GOG's point of view they could do as Lifthrasil mentions in point d, and provide the last known version of the game before MP was added as a DRM-like feature to the SP game, as an offline installer option.
high rated
fronzelneekburm: I'm 100% convinced CDPR will put some sneaksy surprise into Cyberpunk 2077... something that would entice people to TRY GOG GALAXY, if you catch my drift.
Of course they will, I'm afraid. I just wonder what and how much exactly and how they will try to sell it as 'Not really DRM.'

...and it will be interesting to see through how many loops the apologists are willing to jump to justify whatever DRM and online requirements CDPR will put on Cyberpunk.
high rated
In case anyone was wondering about Cyberpunk 2077's special in-game items:

Q: Is MY REWARDS also available on the local version of Cyberpunk 2077 — which can be downloaded via GOG and installed separately from GOG GALAXY?

A: Because MY REWARDS requires an internet connection, the local version of Cyberpunk 2077 that you can download via GOG will not support MY REWARDS.
https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/goodies
Post edited December 07, 2020 by SCPM
SCPM: In case anyone was wondering about Cyberpunk 2077's special in-game items:
Because MY REWARDS requires an internet connection, the local version of Cyberpunk 2077 that you can download via GOG will not support MY REWARDS.
SCPM:
Which is basically the same thing we're discussing with No Man's Sky already: Singleplayer content locked behind a "get online once"-barrier.
SCPM: In case anyone was wondering about Cyberpunk 2077's special in-game items: https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/goodies
And if you read there:
CLAIM YOUR DIGITAL GOODIES
Use GOG GALAXY or log in to GOG.COM to download:
You can play offline, and get the rewards through the website as usual.
real.geizterfahr: Which is basically the same thing we're discussing with No Man's Sky already: Singleplayer content locked behind a "get online once"-barrier.
See above. They are available from gog.com without Galaxy.
Post edited December 07, 2020 by toxicTom
high rated
SCPM: In case anyone was wondering about Cyberpunk 2077's special in-game items: https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/goodies
toxicTom: And if you read there:

CLAIM YOUR DIGITAL GOODIES
Use GOG GALAXY or log in to GOG.COM to download:
toxicTom: You can play offline, and get the rewards through the website as usual.
real.geizterfahr: Which is basically the same thing we're discussing with No Man's Sky already: Singleplayer content locked behind a "get online once"-barrier.
toxicTom: See above. They are available from gog.com without Galaxy.
"Is MY REWARDS also available on the local version of Cyberpunk 2077 — which can be downloaded via GOG and installed separately from GOG GALAXY?

Because MY REWARDS requires an internet connection, the local version of Cyberpunk 2077 that you can download via GOG will not support MY REWARDS."

I think you can download some of the digital goodies from your account (OST,books...). The extra clothes and weapons will require an internet connection.
I seriously hope GOG will change that requirement. Because it is extremely disappointing to see the DRM-free version being made inferior on purpose ( anyone still remember that FCKDRM campaign...lol)
Post edited December 07, 2020 by wcdeadpool
high rated
wcdeadpool: "Is MY REWARDS also available on the local version of Cyberpunk 2077 — which can be downloaded via GOG and installed separately from GOG GALAXY?

Because MY REWARDS requires an internet connection, the local version of Cyberpunk 2077 that you can download via GOG will not support MY REWARDS."

I think you can download some of the digital goodies from your account (OST,books...). The extra clothes and weapons will require an internet connection.
I seriously hope GOG will change that requirement. Because it is extremely disappointing to see the DRM-free version being made inferior on purpose ( anyone still remember that FCKDRM campaign...lol)
Yeah, you're right... I misread that part.

That is indeed disappointing. They should make the stuff available per normal DLC installers, like the Witcher 3 free DLC programme.
high rated
wcdeadpool: "Is MY REWARDS also available on the local version of Cyberpunk 2077 — which can be downloaded via GOG and installed separately from GOG GALAXY?

I think I'll be avoiding Cyberpunk. Sorry CDPR, thanks but no thanks. I would rather spend my time playing games that are actually DRM-free.
Would have been surprised if CP wouldn't have been used to establish this as a rule even more...