It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Lodium: I dont really see a case of DRM here since the devs have left the door to the house open (Modding)
They coud have aslo handed us the key personally wich had been supported Modding but they havent. If the devs had not abled us to edit the save file then i had completly agree with you but they havent.
So Skyrim is DRM-Free because it's "moddable"? Dragon Age Inquisition (Origin + Denuvo) is "DRM-Free" because a save-game editor exists? That's really not what DRM is....
low rated
Lodium: I dont really see a case of DRM here since the devs have left the door to the house open (Modding)
They coud have aslo handed us the key personally wich had been supported Modding but they havent. If the devs had not abled us to edit the save file then i had completly agree with you but they havent.
AB2012: So Skyrim is DRM-Free because it's "moddable"? Dragon Age Inquisition (Origin + Denuvo) is "DRM-Free" because a save-game editor exists? That's really not what DRM is....
I didnt say all games that contains modding is drm free either
i said that if the dev have left the door open withouth any addtional locks on the front door then thats a drm free game
I even used a car as as an analogy
In addition to that i wrote in this case
Last time i chekked, this case does not mean all.

But perhaps i shoud have worded it better.
Post edited October 05, 2020 by Lodium
This makes no sense at all.

I mean, No Man's Sky having its multiplayer reliant on a client is somewhat understandable. Some developer rely on clients for their games to have internet features. Understandable, though its suspiciously similar to DRM. (Seriously, Hello Games, you're not a small studio, you could've just gotten dedicated servers...... are you that lazy?)

But tying items like the Void Egg to multiplayer? That's just dumb and unfair for everyone who don't use clients or can't access the internet for some reason.

If they want to encourage the usage of online features, they could have done it reasonably. Like, allowing players to get all Quicksilver items whether they're online or not, but increasing the yield of Quicksilver by a reasonably large amount when they're connected to the internet. That way, they can still incentivize players to use online mode more, while still making the game fair enough for offline players. But they didn't.

The game may have improved in quality, but the publisher? No so much, I guess, at least not in this aspect.
MatchaKitsunebi: ..., but increasing the yield of Quicksilver by a reasonably large amount when they're connected to the internet.
That's already the case. It's way more quick and feasible to grind for quicksilver in "community missions". In pure single player it's really rare (contained in "space ice"). I've never seen it.
All HG would have to do is untie the Quincy store inventory from this arbitrary one-time online requirement.
high rated
WinterSnowfall: Fair enough, but what you are saying is that no DRM is there simply because you can use modding to circumvent it. It's a bit of a contradiction, though I get what you are trying to say, I do.

Imagine the following: a developer let's say ties multiple aspects of a game to an online check system, but also releases the source code for the game, leaving players the ability to remove those bits if they wanted to. Does it have DRM? I would say yes, the base game has DRM, even though someone from the community will have the ability to get around it.

Is it a tyrannical form of DRM we're seeing in NMS, like Denuvo? Obviously not, but it still is a form of content locking, albeit minor and within a player's ability to circumvent. It still is what it is, regardless of that, unless they fix it in the base game.
Exactly. Easily circumvented DRM is still DRM. Editing a text-based savefile is morally no different from hex-editing a game executable or other methods of circumvention. Just because it's so simple to bypass a lock doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the first place.

After all, you don't get to sell a bag of trail-mix as "nut-free" just because you can pick out the nuts before you eat it.
low rated
WinterSnowfall: Fair enough, but what you are saying is that no DRM is there simply because you can use modding to circumvent it. It's a bit of a contradiction, though I get what you are trying to say, I do.

Imagine the following: a developer let's say ties multiple aspects of a game to an online check system, but also releases the source code for the game, leaving players the ability to remove those bits if they wanted to. Does it have DRM? I would say yes, the base game has DRM, even though someone from the community will have the ability to get around it.

Is it a tyrannical form of DRM we're seeing in NMS, like Denuvo? Obviously not, but it still is a form of content locking, albeit minor and within a player's ability to circumvent. It still is what it is, regardless of that, unless they fix it in the base game.
Braggadar: Exactly. Easily circumvented DRM is still DRM. Editing a text-based savefile is morally no different from hex-editing a game executable or other methods of circumvention. Just because it's so simple to bypass a lock doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the first place.

After all, you don't get to sell a bag of trail-mix as "nut-free" just because you can pick out the nuts before you eat it.
Sorry, i dont see it that way in this case
i dont even see it as content locking
and i dont see a editing of a save file as a lock
Editing of a save file in this case is for me no different than renaming a folder
and last time i checked Folders on my pc wasnt DRM locked.

Annyway, we differ on opinion on what constitute as DRM
and that is ok.
Post edited October 05, 2020 by Lodium
All Hello Games really needs to do is add offline LAN and the issue with the content being locked is no longer one. I have been asking them to do this since they started issuing online only content, but have been ignored thus far. I really don't have much hope that they will issue such a fix, but would gladly be mistaken on that if they would just take action.
EnforcerSunWoo: All Hello Games really needs to do is add offline LAN and the issue with the content being locked is no longer one. I have been asking them to do this since they started issuing online only content, but have been ignored thus far. I really don't have much hope that they will issue such a fix, but would gladly be mistaken on that if they would just take action.
The way multiplayer works in NMS has been partially added since the beta. Any of the iterations of online interaction you see in NMS (since NMS Next, but online implementation goes way earlier than that) is just built on the initial frontend. Adding LAN capabilities would take some time to properly implement in that case.

Why not just provide the planet/creature/plant database as a seperate download? LAN implementation through a virtual LAN client seems to work if thats your thing if you want to play with other in the same room or building.
toxicTom: All HG would have to do is untie the Quincy store inventory from this arbitrary one-time online requirement.
Exactly. But they won't remove that 'one time online requirement' because they want people to be online at least once. Which is DRM. GOG could remove that requirement even without the developers help, but they won't do it either. Which means they are OK with selling a DRM-ed game.

But, honestly, they teamed up with Epic to sell DRM-ed Epic-Store games through Galaxy. So their aversion to DRM is definitely non-existent.
high rated
First of all, thanks all for the clarifications what the issue actually really is (see post number 357) and that the recent patch did not change this, but is an unrelated fix.

That this issue has not gotten any official response does not really surprise me though.
There is essentially no community management here on the forums *at all*
Granted, there never was all that much blue presence in the forums, but nowadays, it would not even be noticed if they are gone.

Someone would have to start the complaints on Twitter or something to get a reaction :(

EDIT: That the moderator has to state that his opions are not GoGs opninions and he is not paid, show how little the company still cares about this forum. To not even start with the *abysmal* forum software. Modern forum software could do so damn much...
Post edited October 05, 2020 by Ranayna
high rated
toxicTom: All HG would have to do is untie the Quincy store inventory from this arbitrary one-time online requirement.
Lifthrasil: Exactly. But they won't remove that 'one time online requirement' because they want people to be online at least once. Which is DRM. GOG could remove that requirement even without the developers help, but they won't do it either. Which means they are OK with selling a DRM-ed game.

But, honestly, they teamed up with Epic to sell DRM-ed Epic-Store games through Galaxy. So their aversion to DRM is definitely non-existent.
Even if all of our recent concerns about DRM and GOG were as baseless as some people like to say, the fact that GOG cares so little about their DRM-free reputation these days they chose to do exactly jack shit to alleviate them would be cause for concern in itself.
Lifthrasil: Exactly. But they won't remove that 'one time online requirement' because they want people to be online at least once. Which is DRM.
On the other hand, someone who is pro-DRM would laugh about that. What does it do? "Protect" completely free additional content? "Surveill" user by forcing them online once in a game that takes hundreds of hours?
It's broken if it's supposed to be DRM, but NMS is broken as DRM-free game too.

Lifthrasil: But, honestly, they teamed up with Epic to sell DRM-ed Epic-Store games through Galaxy. So their aversion to DRM is definitely non-existent.
Yeah, like Breja said, it has become a gimmick, and it's not a conviction any more. What they fail to see is that when they set themselves up as a figurehead of "the DRM-free revolution" with FCKDRM and all, their turnaround makes them essentially betrayers and part of the problem, even if the GOG store itself stays DRM-free.
You can't set up yourself as a "fighter against drugs" (and DRM makes user "addicted" to the service provider), and then start selling them (even it's only a "select few") in some backroom.
As soon as they make money with stuff that is bad for people - and DRM is undeniably bad for the consumer - any attempt at playing white knight for the gamers is essentially hypocrisy.
The same with Steam - they undeniably did a lot for indies and Linux support, their end game has always been to create and defend their monopoly as a platform - starting with the draconic DRM on the first HL2 release.
Does No Man's Sky have bonus content exclusive for offline players? If it does, then maybe we can't gripe about it having other bonus features that can only be accessed after going online.
agogfan: Does No Man's Sky have bonus content exclusive for offline players? If it does, then maybe we can't gripe about it having other bonus features that can only be accessed after going online.
Sadly it doesn't.
agogfan: Does No Man's Sky have bonus content exclusive for offline players? If it does, then maybe we can't gripe about it having other bonus features that can only be accessed after going online.
How is that supposed to work? MP in NMS is seamless, meaning all you have when you enable MP stays, and the other way around all you have when you disable MP stays too. Most of the game is SP, even with MP enabled.