It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

karnak1: The offline installers for NMS were apparently updated today. For those who have the game installed, can anyone confirm if the new version fixes the "online" issue?
Thanks in advance.
timppu: Is it somehow possible to check that with a fresh install, or do you have to have played it for some time already?

I have the game on GOG.
I am not using Galaxy.
I haven't installed nor played the game yet.
Good question... I honestly have no idea. Don't know if the fix applies to people who already went online during the game.
It seems the new patch is only 12mbs, though, so I guess it should be quite easy to update the game for those who have it installed.
toxicTom: And I have the impression, some people from that group can't be reasoned with, they proclaim their views as The Truth, and every one who disagrees or just differentiates is either blind, "betrayer of the cause" or argues in "bad faith".
That may be because you keep repeating, even now, the same arguments that have already been countered and proven irrelevant multiple times, and others are either building ridiculous strawmen like DoomSooth or are just posting vitriolic rants like TrollLebowski.

The level of "debate" I've met here is seriously some of the saddest displays on this forum yet.
low rated
Breja: That may be because you keep repeating, even now, the same arguments that have already been countered and proven irrelevant multiple times, and others are either building ridiculous strawmen like DoomSooth or are just posting vitriolic rants like TrollLebowski.
Well thanks for proving my point.

Breja: The level of "debate" I've met here is seriously some of the saddest displays on this forum yet.
I completely agree with that, for some posts at least. But people like mrkgnao or WinterSnowfall and many other prove that a civilized discussion is possible.
timppu: Is it somehow possible to check that with a fresh install, or do you have to have played it for some time already?

I have the game on GOG.
I am not using Galaxy.
I haven't installed nor played the game yet.
To check in-game you would have to play it for a while. The problematic store is in a place called The Anomaly, but I'm not even sure the "Quincy" shopkeeper is even there when you first enter it.
Post edited September 30, 2020 by toxicTom
timppu: 2. After they found out (due to public outcry), their first reaction was to add the note to the gamecard, as a "warning" to potential buyers.
One correction:
The public outcry began after GOG added the note to the gamecard. See the OP of this thread, which quotes the note.
Post edited September 30, 2020 by mrkgnao
toxicTom: And I have the impression, some people from that group can't be reasoned with, they proclaim their views as The Truth, and every one who disagrees or just differentiates is either blind, "betrayer of the cause" or argues in "bad faith".
Breja: That may be because you keep repeating, even now, the same arguments that have already been countered and proven irrelevant multiple times, and others are either building ridiculous strawmen like DoomSooth or are just posting vitriolic rants like TrollLebowski.

The level of "debate" I've met here is seriously some of the saddest displays on this forum yet.
I was being no more ridiculous than anyone else. People were nitpicking over what is DRM, so I responded in kind.

It would be great if Hello Games were to make all of the items available to all players, offline or not, but I do not want to see the game removed from GOG if I don't get my way. Have only played it offline because I like having it all to myself.
karnak1: The offline installers for NMS were apparently updated today. For those who have the game installed, can anyone confirm if the new version fixes the "online" issue?
Thanks in advance.
I concour with this, albeit it will take a bit of time, because if I got it right, QUINCY shoplist items updates with either game progress or simply being online (not sure which one of the two, if not both).

The other test would be checking for daily events/quests while offline, but in both cases it should be important to have NEVER logged online (i.e. using galaxy) otherwise the test will be all for nothing.
low rated
DoomSooth: I was being no more ridiculous than anyone else.
Nah, you failed to argue why a game locking you out of content when it can't authenticate with a third party server isn't DRM.

Instead you just screamed "what about starving children in africa? is clean water and nazis drm too????" That was ridiculous, a straw man, a non-sequitur, and a complete non-contribution to the discussion. I actually bursted out laughing and managed to spray coffee out of my nose when I saw that ridiculous comment.
Post edited September 30, 2020 by clarry
DoomSooth: I was being no more ridiculous than anyone else.
clarry: Nah, you failed to argue why a game locking you out of content when it can't authenticate with a third party server isn't DRM.

Instead you just screamed "what about starving children in africa? is clean water and nazis drm too????" That was ridiculous, a straw man, a non-sequitur, and a complete non-contribution to the discussion. I actually bursted out laughing and managed to spray coffee out of my nose when I saw that ridiculous comment.
Good. It was intended to be funny.
Well, this thread was an "entertaining" read. Given where NMS began and where it is today, I'll gladly add it to my DRM-Free archive now to be played at a later date.
Time4Tea: First, this thing about major content updates being made to the game years after release. I mean, if the game isn't finished then it should clearly be labelled as 'in development'. If I buy a game that is labelled as 'released', then I expect it to a certain degree to be stable and 'finished'. Sure, I'm ok with patches if there are bugs or issues that need to be addressed, but imo major content additions should be in the form of (optional) DLCs (whether they are paid or not). Otherwise, if the game 2 years later isn't the same game that I bought, what do I do if I don't like it? Will they give me a refund 2 years later? From what I'm hearing, it sounds like the devs should have cut the cord on this baby several years ago and incoporated some of this extra content into NMS2.
This is a perfect example of the "you can't please all the people all the time" principle. 1/2 the gamers in the world will commend the dev for after-release support, while the other 1//2 will berate them for releasing an unfinished game.
I checked the newest GOG version (labeled experimental_64519) and nothing has changed. No fix.
Sea-Ra: I checked the newest GOG version (labeled experimental_64519) and nothing has changed. No fix.
I don't know if it's because your avatar looks like she's about eat to her own hand, but at first glance, I read this as "I chewed the newest GOG version".

On a more serious note, thanks for checking, and... a pity.
Not going to read through all 15 pages. so if someone can just answer me this...

Can No Man's Sky on GOG be installed from an offline installer, launched and actually played without ever going online once the installer is downloaded?

If so, then the game has no DRM.

Having an additional and optional feature that requires you to be online is not the same thing as DRM.
King Ghidorah: Not going to read through all 15 pages. so if someone can just answer me this...

Can No Man's Sky on GOG be installed from an offline installer, launched and actually played without ever going online once the installer is downloaded?

If so, then the game has no DRM.

Having an additional and optional feature that requires you to be online is not the same thing as DRM.
Looks like a shade of gray to me. If you buy the game after the update in question and can't access everything that's part of the single-player game from offline, whether or not that's DRM will depend on whether or not it gets fixed.
That's not DRM though. Not even a gray area.

The quicksilver missions require online I believe because they are updated daily. They can be done via single player, but it is definitely an online feature.

I think some people are skewing the meaning of DRM if that is the case.