It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

SmollestLight: We're sorry to hear that this annoncement has caused confusion, so let me try to address some misunderstandings that I've seen in the comments.

Naturally GOG.COM remains a DRM-free Store. GOG GALAXY 2.0 is an optional app, and was created to organize all of your games across multiple gaming platforms. The new store inside the app approaches this sentiment to welcome all games from all platforms, including GOG.COM.

It's worth pointing out that if you don't want to see it and stick to GOG.COM, you can opt out of it in the GOG GALAXY settings. That way only the GOG.COM store will be visible inside the app. We're constantly gathering feedback and are hoping to make the app better and better with each update!

There is also a handy FAQ which might answer some other questions you have in mind. =)
Good to hear.

However, the question remains, how will this affect GOG's attempt to get games on here. The Outer Worlds, for example.
high rated
Nilok7: Would be real nice of Gog to come out with a statement addressing all these concerns.
Honestly, I don't think we're going to here them address this one with the community. The way I see it they have to have a lot riding on this, and absolutely anything they say publicly right now can and will be used against them no matter what they say, so like most companies they're going to most likely dry up completely silent as the best winning move rather than saying something to fuel the fire of discontent they've created.

They obviously feel that they have more to gain than to lose from this decision from a business perspective and the train has left the station. None of us know the full details of what is to come and so we see worst case scenarios because there isn't really much else to see without more information.

For better or worse I guess the good old days that many of us came here for and stayed here for are long gone, and everything now moves into a new era of uncertainty on the platform and in the community. Another casualty of 2020? Who knows.

That personal feel of rooting for the underdog "rebel alliance" so to speak definitely seems to be waning. Perhaps it was inevitable all along?

I dunno, but I can't help but feel very disappointed and wonder where this is all going to lead in 1/2/5 years, what this company and website will look like and stand for in 5 years.
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013835918-Internal-beta-test-of-the-new-store-FAQ?product=gog#2 says,

"What about GOG.COM store? GOG.COM remains a DRM-free store. We are committed to bringing you more exceptional AAAs, great indies and all-time classics free of any DRM or mandatory clients. As always the choice is yours - you can stick to the GOG.COM store or give the GOG GALAXY store a spin."

If some people won't accept anything less than removal of the EGS from Galaxy, and GOG is very unlikely to remove it (especially if it turns out to be profitable, or helps GOG maintain Galaxy market share in the client space), I don't know if there's anything else GOG can say to keep said people around. And if a portion of people were only buying here because they felt they were supporting a "good vs. evil" cinema-like movement like Marvel or Star Wars or LOTR or (dare I say) 4chins vs Pleddit, and not actually all that interested in the specific individual games they were buying, then I assume GOG is basically comatose to them unless something changes.

But remember, for now GOG is still selling DRM-free single-player games, and if that's what you want, you can still buy them and back them up, so even if GOG does become full-on Golum Vadar Chungus, you'll still have your games :) *mass dab*
Post edited October 12, 2020 by tfishell
high rated
tfishell: https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013835918-Internal-beta-test-of-the-new-store-FAQ?product=gog#2 says,

"What about GOG.COM store? GOG.COM remains a DRM-free store. We are committed to bringing you more exceptional AAAs, great indies and all-time classics free of any DRM or mandatory clients. As always the choice is yours - you can stick to the GOG.COM store or give the GOG GALAXY store a spin."

<snip>

But remember, for now GOG is still selling DRM-free single-player games, and if that's what you want, you can still buy them and back them up, so even if GOG does become full-on Golum Vadar Chungus, you'll still have your games :) *mass dab*
It's not as simple as you put it. There are people out there who thought they were buying a DRM-free "No Man's Sky" or "Absolver", and now find that they have actually ended up with a non-DRM-free game (according to their definition) in their library. The problem is that selling DRM-free games is a question of trust. You trust GOG to do the due diligence and ensure that the games they are selling are indeed fully DRM-free (which they didn't do with "Absolver") and that they keep ensuring that the games they are selling remain fully DRM-free even after release (which they didn't do with "No Man's Sky"). So how do you know that the next game you buy here is one of the majority DRM-free games and not one of the minority non-DRM-free ones? You can't even ask GOG whether a specific game has single player content locked behind an online-only wall, because they won't answer that, as I had briefly shown before all this fiasco had erupted.

I'd also like to quote another sentence from the FAQ that you have quoted from:
"By design, the new store in GOG GALAXY will offer a much bigger selection of games."
Read into it what you want.
Post edited October 12, 2020 by mrkgnao
high rated
mrkgnao: I'd also like to quote another sentence from the FAQ that you have quoted from:
"By design, the new store in GOG GALAXY will offer a much bigger selection of games."
It means, quite simply, that the DRM-free games won't remain the majority. Which means GOG is going the way of Steam and Epic: yes, they will keep selling DRM-free games, if the publishers choose to do so. But they won't require it and the majority of the games sold will be sold through Galaxy and won't be DRM-free.
high rated
mrkgnao: I'd also like to quote another sentence from the FAQ that you have quoted from:
Lifthrasil: It means, quite simply, that the DRM-free games won't remain the majority. Which means GOG is going the way of Steam and Epic: yes, they will keep selling DRM-free games, if the publishers choose to do so. But they won't require it and the majority of the games sold will be sold through Galaxy and won't be DRM-free.
Until eventually the DRM free releases stop coming through their own actions and they just become yet another, redundant DRM filled reseller...

I still can't come to grips with the fact GOG is now complicit in selling DRM content.
Post edited October 12, 2020 by ReynardFox
high rated
Lifthrasil: It means, quite simply, that the DRM-free games won't remain the majority. Which means GOG is going the way of Steam and Epic: yes, they will keep selling DRM-free games, if the publishers choose to do so. But they won't require it and the majority of the games sold will be sold through Galaxy and won't be DRM-free.
ReynardFox: Until eventually the DRM free releases stop coming due to their own actions and they just become yet another DRM filled reseller...
Exactly. Probably Epic pays them enough to make that seem financially tempting. But for GOG as a DRM-free platform it is the death sentence.
ReynardFox: Until eventually the DRM free releases stop coming due to their own actions and they just become yet another DRM filled reseller...
Lifthrasil: Exactly. Probably Epic pays them enough to make that seem financially tempting. But for GOG as a DRM-free platform it is the death sentence.
And then Epic swoops in and buys out what ever is left. They'll sell up too, GOG has shown everyone they no longer have a backbone.
kmanitou: By doing this, the developers don't need to manage two versions, only the Epic version, because the GOG customers have access to the game anyway.
Yes, i wanted to tell this, i didn't express myself well at all.
I mean, what is the point of bringing a game to your store if you could previously buy it in your store even if it was for a different one?
Post edited October 12, 2020 by argamasa
high rated
"One world, one price - no regional pricing"
--> "Regional pricing, but we'll give you credit back for any difference above US pricing."
--> "Regional pricing."

"No regional restrictions"
--> [GOG attempted to introduce DRM-free movies, but cancelled those plans due to widespread objection by the community to regional restrictions that would be necessary to sell movies from the big studios]
--> "We'll only have regional restrictions where required by law."
--> "These games have regional restrictions because the publisher requested it."

"All of the games we sell are fully DRM-free"
--> "DRM-free (except for online multiplayer)"
--> "DRM-free (except for online features - multiplayer, achievements, some additional dynamic content)"
--> "DRM-free (except for online features - multiplayer, achievements, some additional content)"
--> "DRM-free (except for online features - multiplayer, achievements, some additional content) for games distributed directly via GOG.com, but we also sell DRM'ed games for the Epic Games Store that you can play through our Galaxy client."

Perhaps the future steps will be:

--> "DRM-free (except for online features - multiplayer, achievements, some additional content) for games distributed directly via GOG.com, but we also sell DRM'ed games for EGS, Steam, UPlay and Origin that you can play through our Galaxy client."
--> "Most games we sell directly via GOG.com are DRM-free (except for online features - multiplayer, achievements, some additional content). On those that do have DRM we only allow the use of the DRM service provided by our Galaxy client for minimum inconvenience (while we always try to offer DRM-free games, it is not always possible and in such cases we feel it is best for our customers to offer these games with our own minimalist DRM rather than not offer them at all). We also sell DRM'ed games for EGS, Steam, UPlay and Origin that you can play through our Galaxy client."
--> "Most games we sell directly via GOG.com are DRM-free (except for online features - multiplayer, achievements, some additional content). On those that do have DRM we only allow DRM that offers minimal inconvenience. We also sell DRM'ed games for EGS, Steam, UPlay and Origin that you can play through our Galaxy client."
Post edited October 12, 2020 by adamhm
-> Most games we sell are DRM'ed and also have telemetry; offline installers (for the few games that have them) will be broken and outdated (shut up and use Galaxy or go away), and we still don't allow modding or cheating in your games.
high rated
-> We promise to do our best to make the number of DRM games we sell be as small as humanly possible, just like we did with regional pricing.
-> We promise to always offer offline installers for our legacy DRM free content.
-> We have discontinued offering downloadable installers as they are becoming outdated and harder to maintain, but all your great old DRM free purchases can still be accessed through the Galaxy client.

Edit:

https://www.pcgamer.com/gog-galaxy-is-letting-testers-buy-epic-exclusives-directly-from-the-app/

"Until now, the GOG Galaxy store tab has only included GOG's catalogue of games, but testers will now see hand-picked Epic Game Store exclusives as well, including The Outer Worlds, Mortal Shell, Maneater and MechWarrior 5."
ReynardFox: https://www.pcgamer.com/gog-galaxy-is-letting-testers-buy-epic-exclusives-directly-from-the-app/

"Until now, the GOG Galaxy store tab has only included GOG's catalogue of games, but testers will now see hand-picked Epic Game Store exclusives as well, including The Outer Worlds, Mortal Shell, Maneater and MechWarrior 5."
And I am feeling re-affirmed in my decision to remove every single title I had on my GOG wishlist.

(sorry to break the chain of "promises"...you are all doing an excellent job).
Post edited October 12, 2020 by rjbuffchix
high rated
"GOG.com is an international team consisting of over 150 videogame aficionados. The Company consistently puts the gaming community at the heart of its business and respects gamers’ opinions when expanding its catalogue and platform."

- From CDP website.

Yeah about that...