It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MarkoH01: Pretty sure that itch.io also is DRM-free only.
Actually it's mostly, but not exclusively, DRM-free. In the sense that they offer Steam keys for some games.
toxicTom: I really don't want to go back to pirating
So... you're saying you've kept the eye patch and the wooden leg? Maybe a Jolly Roger? :P
mrkgnao: I suspect corporates are starting to sense that the world view is changing toward sustainable solutions
I've already paid my Galaxy subscription for this month... wait... what year is this again?
Post edited October 06, 2020 by WinterSnowfall
-----
PART 5/?
-----
Gersen: This update concern enabling games purchasing elsewhere to be activated on Gog, as in purchasing Gog key. As in the opposite direction to how the Epic stuff will work as it will be Galaxy that will activate purchases on Epic store.
Wrong.
This (assuming the used wording is correct) will be "Uplay direct" kind of situation.
First of all I have checked the updated TOS and PP and it doesn't entirely say that THIS method would apply to proxy purchases (the wording is pretty clear it's somethig else that I am about to describe).

This will make it so that you (from now on) will likely not get a key (when purchasing from 3rd party OFFICIAL partners) just a "direct redeem". That would actually allow GOG to start using key activation (well LICENSE, but commonly reffered to as "key activation") region restrictions as well as MUCH stricter control of GOG gift licenses distribution.
And if this thing turns out to be true it will be a disaster (no more cheap GOG keys, no more "infinite storage for birthdays and such", higher control of regional prices by publishers, walling in Japan distribution more easily, etc).

Gersen: Because it is framed incorrectly, it will only reach Gog audience that is already an Epic customer
What? Are you like 5? (this isn't meant to offend you, but that thought process of yours contains high concentration of naivety)
By your definition basically EGS freebies should only reach those who already had EGS account due to playing Fortnite.

Also by your definition EGS would gain no new consumers from this deal.
Which, honestly, is laughable premise for anybody with even intermediate knowledge about software digital distribution.

adamhm: GOG customer: "Hey <publisher>, how about releasing <game> on GOG?"
Publisher: "Hi <GOG customer>, you can already buy <game> from GOG by enabling <store>. Here's how: ..."
You know what? :P You just gave me idea :P
(well, this deal is tragic so at least I'm trying to crack jokes to not get completely depressed by this BS [and fact that as of right now I cannot possibly backup all my GOG files FAST])

GOG loyal consumers: We want game X DRM-Free on GOG
GOG: We already have game X on GOG
Game X on GOG: *buy game X through our proxy glorified iframe TODAY*

(in case somebody turns this into actual picture, it would be nice to credit me for once :P)

In before GOG turns their focus into being digital distribution marketing company /s

Also, I would like to hear what would ACTUALLY happen when they MAYBE someday do this "unified experience" while any currently existing game may be available on SEVERAL distribution platforms ( there are plenty of examples, here are some https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tom_Clancy%27s_Rainbow_Six_Siege#Availability https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Metro_Exodus#Availability https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dishonored_2#Availability https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Mirror%27s_Edge#Availability https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Metro_2033_Redux#Availability ).
What EXACTLY is going to happen then?
Will the GOG app allow ACTUAL free choice?
Or will it be "the spot goes to the highest bidder" scenario?

EnforcerSunWoo: The only times you see a blue nowadays is if they know that they have stepped in the shit. Except now they are swimming in it with it quickly raising over their heads with no sign of stoppage.
But you know... You cannot see shit if it already covers your eyes...
I think they are deep enough in their ignorance to be grown immune to community's begging them to stop.

HappyPunkPotato: Are there any other places that only sell DRM-free games?
itch.io.
indiegala (to some small degree they still do afaik)
humblebundle (but I would advise to stay away from them considering what BS they are pulling now)
You can also get them directly from publishers or developers sometimes.
Plus there are some over less notable places.

clarry: (you're just threatening to leave, otherwise you'd be buying on steam already!!1)
I have most of my games on Steam.
What I have on GOG is:
-some duplicates bought solely for DRM-free (if I would have known GOG will eventually turn into shit I would not have bothered)
-some amount of games I don't have elsewhere (bought here *of all places* SOLELY FOR DRM-free)
-demos
-some games from giveaways (good BECAUSE DRM-free)
-----
PART 6/?
-----
toxicTom: We ourselves are hypocrites, when we cheer to FCKDRM and then go play our Skyrim, GTA5, Civ 6 or Red Dead Redemption 2
Speak for yourself.

I don't have EGS account and I never will. I am clever enough to not sell my data for some free shit.
And even if it would be truly free I don't just get WHATEVER is in plain sight.
I always consider all points before getting something, even if it is "free".
I don't have Rockstar account either and it doesn't seem like I will since I don't care about their products except for RDR2 which can be obtained outside of Rockstar.
I don't have Bethesda account and don't plan to ever have one.
I only have Steam (majority of my games), Origin (Crysis, Battlefield), Uplay (some games) and GOG(made SOLELY because they sell DRM-free here [FOR NOW]).
I am not the kind to get lured in by free shit or empty promises.
I have VERY tactical approach to my life.
I would easily go as far as obtaining game on Steam, backuping files and using my legal copy with a crack (or special Steam tricks, including dev commands that are not supposed to be ever used by general userbase) to not rely on Steam (or my exceptionally shitty internet, that's why I absolutely HATE that for example Hitman 2016 is essentially singleplayer always-online. I love that game universe and love IOI for it. But I HATE IOI for the BS DRM).

After seeing this thread I have essentially frozen all my future GOG purchase plans indefinitely (at least until I get solid backup of all CURRENT files from GOG, which honestly, will take LONG since my internet is ancient and I would have to outsource batch of HQ archival-grade optical storage [hard drives are a burden in long term]).

RoboPond: I have to edit the installs though so Galaxy doesn't pick them up (as the offline installers have files that Galaxy reads) so I tend to just make them portable with a reg file in if the game needs it.
Care to elaborate how you do that (forum link maybe?)? Especially the first part?

WinterSnowfall: Yeah, I've heard that in Cyberpunk 2077 you'll be able to buy all manner of shady things as long as you have the money for them... even DRMed games on Galaxy. No wait, that's the real world. Mustn't mix them up, though dystopias all seem to look alike :P.
In before somebody decides to put actual GOG Galaxy proxy store commercials in-game. Maybe even game interface to buy things directly from within the game.
This idea isn't neccessarily out of reach considering how much BS the industry has done in last few years.

toxicTom: if they can't get it, or even only can't get their favourite flavour, they'll happily buy the big corp's stuff.
And that is something that GOG - as the "fair trade organic" game store probably realised and gave up on. Can we blame them? Sure, we can, but we also have to admit that as customers most of us simply didn't care enough.
Again, speak for yourself. I am personally planning importing sweets from another country because after eating domestic market ones for more than 20 years I cannot stand this sugary shit anymore.
I would rather not have it at all rather than eat it at this point.
But I do want some so I would rather pay more and just import something that is to my liking than just "give up and buy domestic market trash".
I am an embodiment of going against trends and for taking hard routes.
If life is winding road I am going to make it a drifting contest. /s

MarkoH01: We all agree that this is at least a critical step GOG is about to do. So thank you very much @GOG that all of you participated so immensely in this discussion to clear up all our fears and questions we might have. It really shows how much you care about your cus.. ... well ... err ... wait ... GOG?
Ohayo (<<<< crappy implementation of romaji) Marko. It's been a while.
Yes, it's like "hit and run" for GOG. I mean. Seriously.
Cannot they be bothered to participate, heck, EVEN JUST MODERATE, their OWN threads?

§pectre: The only other I can think of is the claims it looked at some steam data directly instead of doing it indirectly like steam does with outside data.
How about destroying the entire industry from the inside? (I could easily write a wall of text as to how)
Also, it's not just claims, it has been proven.
And big data consequences are of practically infinite number and severity.
Data is worth MUCH MUCH more than EGS looses (potentially) from giving things away for "free".

agogfan: Forced product obsolescence, of which DRM is a part, is going to become a big NO-NO in the future, and that future may be arriving a lot sooner than any of us ever expected.
Hope you are right but I personally don't see this in such bright colors. I think you underestimate humanity's urge to go into profit over quality (so consequently longetivity).

adamhm: And then there are stories of developers being offered an Epic exclusivity deal, declining due to prior arrangements and not wanting to be massive dicks and then basically being told their game won't be allowed on the Epic store at all then.
If I ever choose to get my game projects out of "project freeze" and release them I will be sure to give the biggest troll middle finger to the likes of EGS I could possibly think of :D

adamhm: Speaking of exclusivity, Epic are hypocritical about that too, whining about needing more openness and freedom in the PC space and yet limiting people's freedom with their exclusives. They've been hypocritical about a lot of other things as well...
Yeah, no joke, they ACTUALLY SUCCEEDED at making bigger monopoly than Steam ever was.
It's amusing how people fall for that "EGS is free market / broader choice" shit.

(edit: fixed some spelling)
Post edited October 06, 2020 by B1tF1ghter
mrkgnao: See https://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_video_games_digital_distributors

I believe Fireflower Games and Zoom Platform are the only two stores left that sell only DRM-free games, but their catalogues are tiny compared to GOG.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/news_gog_galaxy_to_start_selling_epic_games/post660

HappyPunkPotato: Are there any other places that only sell DRM-free games?
B1tF1ghter: itch.io.
humblebundle (but I would advise to stay away from them considering what BS they are pulling now)
AFAIK, none of these places sells only DRM-free games, which is what potato asked.
Post edited October 06, 2020 by mrkgnao
mrkgnao: I guess we see things differently.
I think we're just looking at slightly different time frames. Things will get worse before they get better. Vendor lock-in will be pushed aggressively, quality of service will deteriorate... just look at it now.
ChristophWr: You can play it without the launcher
Lifthrasil: But you won't get all single-player content. To get the living ship, you must register your game online through Galaxy.

Sure, it's only a small part of the game. But it is DRM on part of a single player game. In other words: another broken promise. So if you want a 100% DRM-free store, you have to move somewhere else now. GOG gave up on that distinction. Sure, they still sell DRM-free games. But so do Steam and Epic. So there is nothing to set GOG apart anymore.
Isn't the ship comparable to dlc? Not familiar with the game so not sure.
B1tF1ghter: itch.io.
mrkgnao: AFAIK, none of these places sells only DRM-free games, which is what potato asked.
Right. You will have to excuxe my slight slip up as I feel highly fatigued at the moment.
But still, itch.io. is generally primarily DRM-free oriented no?

B1tF1ghter: To you and to everyone that thinks / hopes this is a marketing / publicity stunt:
mrkgnao: I don't think you understood my post, if you think that I thought it could be a publicity stunt..
I was expecting you to say that.
Yes, you didn't say either PER SE.
I included you in the quote as a honorable mention ;) So you can actully read what I had to say on the matter, because you know, my "moderate amounts of text" could get burried within this rapidly expanding thread.

But I specificly said "thinks / HOPES".
Aren't you hoping that this deal is "just" some marketing BS?

Lifthrasil: But you won't get all single-player content. To get the living ship, you must register your game online through Galaxy.

Sure, it's only a small part of the game. But it is DRM on part of a single player game. In other words: another broken promise. So if you want a 100% DRM-free store, you have to move somewhere else now. GOG gave up on that distinction. Sure, they still sell DRM-free games. But so do Steam and Epic. So there is nothing to set GOG apart anymore.
Truth007: Isn't the ship comparable to dlc? Not familiar with the game so not sure.
Any singleplayer additional content distributed on entirely DRM-free focused platform should also be distributed DRM-free. There is no dodging that.
Post edited October 06, 2020 by B1tF1ghter
B1tF1ghter: Hope you are right but I personally don't see this in such bright colors. I think you underestimate humanity's urge to go into profit over quality (so consequently longetivity).
We do still need to go through a bit of doom and gloom before we get to see those bright colors... ;-)

I appreciate that profit drives corporates, but they also pretend they don't need to have a conscience since they can hide behind being a collective. "It wasn't me, it was a board decision!"

Hey!!!! Maybe us gamers need to unionize!
mrkgnao: See https://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_video_games_digital_distributors

I believe Fireflower Games and Zoom Platform are the only two stores left that sell only DRM-free games, but their catalogues are tiny compared to GOG.
There's also Playism.

The trouble with all of these platforms is that they all kinda suck.

Itch is a very dev-friendly platform from what I hear, but they're mainly a dumping ground for crappy indie games whose devs were unwilling to spend those 100 bucks or whatever it costs to release on Steam these days. Occasionally they get decent stuff that isn't even on gog (Goose Simulator or Detective Dee come to mind).

Zoom Platform has a worse selection of good old games from yesteryesteryear than gog had when they opened shop over a decade ago. They also have a communication problem. While gog doesn't communicate much at all these days, Zoom had moments where it would have been best for them to keep their mouths shut. I remember them being so outrageously rude to Twitter users who asked them simple questions about some dispute they had with gog that I went "Chances are these guys are in the right, but after this I wouldn't dream of giving them money!"

Fireflower... blegh. I guess if you're really desparate to play indie point&clicks from over half a decade ago.

I had an absolutely pleasant experience regarding support on Playism and would love to recommend them. That being said, their main problem is again a very small catalogue, which is unlikely to grow much, I don't think there have been many releases in recent months, if not years. (edit: Case in point: Their #6 most recent release is fucking Night in the Woods...)

No other DRM-free shop has even come close to the variety of stuff that gog offers (let alone offering stuff from big studios). I very much doubt any other shop would be capable of picking up the torch (nor would they want to) if gog fails.
Post edited October 06, 2020 by fronzelneekburm
Vendor-Lazarus: I like my privacy thank you very much.
Me too! But i think it's very difficult to achieve. I may think I'm posting here anonymously, but it's very likey GOG already knows my real profile. And if they do.... would they kindly keep that information private ;-)
B1tF1ghter: Aren't you hoping that this deal is "just" some marketing BS?
Not really. It's like hoping today that The Netherlands wins the 1974 FIFA World Cup.
Post edited October 07, 2020 by mrkgnao
Vendor-Lazarus: I like my privacy thank you very much.
agogfan: Me too! But i think it's very difficult to achieve. I may think I'm posting here anonymously, but it's very likey GOG already knows my real profile. And if they do.... would they kindly keep that information private ;-)
They most likely do. All it takes is one slip-up.
Like using the wrong browser (Which would be most of them), or no privacy addons (even if you are using a better browser).
If you pay with something directly connected to your bank. Or even indirectly through third-parties.
You have static IP and/or don't use a VPN.
Then there's the browser fingerprint, the hijacks and trojans..using a similar name on another place where you have revealed details or slipped up.
Or use an un-secure email or given your private details there.
Plus lots more.
high rated
Gersen: only peoples that will see those games are Epic customers that have enabled Epic store integration on Galaxy (So only a small percentage of the Epic market share), so if publishers wants to access the full Gog market share then they will still need to release the game on Gog proper.
rjbuffchix: Yeah, that's basically how the moderator framed it too, and it's a case of looking through rose-colored glasses.

It doesn't look as pretty when framed this way:

-Until now, selling a DRM-free game on GOG.com was the way to reach GOG the company's audience.
-Now, selling a DRMed game on Galaxy from Epic is another way to reach GOG the company's audience.

So, for a DRM-loving developer/publisher who puts their game on Scheme and Epic, then agrees to bring it to "GOG" via selling in the Galaxy 2.0 store's tab for Epic, they would not be reaching GOG the company's full audience HOWEVER they would be reaching more than they would have otherwise, because without providing a DRM-free release they would not have, until now apparently, reached any.
Seeing it from that angle makes one thing very clear. Everyone is profiting from this deal except the customer. In fact GOG is cannibalizing it's own business, because less people will demand DRM free versions. They will just buy it on Epic through Galaxy.
high rated
DrmSucksMaster: In fact GOG is cannibalizing it's own business, because less people will demand DRM free versions.
This is how I see it. It still seems like a bad business deal for GOG even if there is no money to be made from DRM-free games. Let's assume for sake of argument that DRM-free users are an insignificant portion of GOG's business. Then that means that GOG's DRM-free offerings are exactly the same as Epic's DRM'd offerings in the eyes of the masses, right? In that case:

- How is GOG helping their own long-term business interests by replacing a portion of their direct-release opportunities with commission-based sales from Epic while at the same time personally covering the bill for Epic's tech support, return policy, and Galaxy integration development?

- More broadly, why is it a good move for any company to risk shrinking their own direct-sales market while spending their own money to grow another company's direct-sales market?

- What long-term benefits does GOG retain if Epic eventually decides to "cut out the middleman" and terminate their agreement with GOG thus shrinking GOG's new "library" of GOG + Epic releases?

I personally cannot come up with any sensible answers to these questions. To me it seems like this is a bad deal all around for GOG even if all of their games were DRM'd.
Post edited October 07, 2020 by SpikedWallMan
high rated
DrmSucksMaster: In fact GOG is cannibalizing it's own business, because less people will demand DRM free versions.
SpikedWallMan: This is how I see it. It still seems like a bad business deal for GOG even if there is no money to be made from DRM-free games. Let's assume for sake of argument that DRM-free users are an insignificant portion of GOG's business. Then that means that GOG's DRM-free offerings are exactly the same as Epic's DRM'd offerings in the eyes of the masses, right? In that case:

- How is GOG helping their own long-term business interests by replacing a portion of their direct-release opportunities with commission-based sales from Epic while at the same time personally covering the bill for Epic's tech support, return policy, and Galaxy integration development?

- More broadly, why is it a good move for any company to risk shrinking their own direct-sales market while spending their own money to grow another company's direct-sales market?

- What long-term benefits does GOG retain if Epic eventually decides to "cut out the middleman" and terminate their agreement with GOG thus shrinking GOG's new "library" of GOG + Epic releases?

I personally cannot come up with any sensible answers to these questions. To me it seems like this is a bad deal all around for GOG even if all of their games were DRM'd.
I think all of these things make sense if you think of it as simply the first stage in Epic buying GOG or CDPR.