It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

AB2012: I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. Limiting "Steam scraping" [..] could easily be passed off as an "Anti DDOS feature triggered by unauthorized connections".
coffeecup: I already spelled this out, but it seems that finally someone did understand this.

AB2012: [...] you change that to basically gambling everything on a new business model which involves pointing a telescope through your competition's windows and combining the information gathered into a "meta-product", the very first question I'd be asking is "What's my backup plan in case they decide to install tinted glass..." GOG's DRM-Free games are under GOG's control. GOG's continued ability to "scrape" the competition's servers are very much under the long-term control of the server owners...
coffeecup: I think GOG is very, very aware that they are gambling on this matter and also on other store integrations, so the only official integrations are XBox and Epic (go figure). Other integrations are relegated to the "community" where they can waive away any responsibilites. I suspect that behind the "FriendsOfGalaxy" (https://github.com/FriendsOfGalaxy) who maintain integrations for Steam, battle.net, Origin, Epic(sic), Rockstar Games and others, are in reality GOG employees who do this in paid "free time".

For a table of official and unofficial integrations (scroll down) see https://github.com/mixaill/awesome-gog-galaxy

If you haven't done already, you really should download all your offline installer now.
How come?
high rated
Truth007: How come?
Because there is no guarantee that they will stay DRM-free. GOG may add anything through updates, like they have done in the past. And once they have 'updated' a game, there is no getting an older version of the installer from them. So do a backup of all your offline installers as long as GOG hasn't patched a Galaxy-requirement into them yet.
rjbuffchix: I too worry about this and in fact cancelled my preorder when I realized that my money would basically be going towards funding a multiplayer mode with microtransactions. People are either unaware of history or want to ignore it despite all obviousness to the contrary. CDPR can say all they want about how Cyberpunk singleplayer is complete and the multiplayer is just a free bonus. I don't need to fund their dreams of becoming a Rockstar.
I'm not gonna go so far as to cancel my pre-order, but if the game arrives and it DOES have micro-transactions or any galaxy-only nonsense, then I will be demanding a refund.
rjbuffchix: I too worry about this and in fact cancelled my preorder when I realized that my money would basically be going towards funding a multiplayer mode with microtransactions. People are either unaware of history or want to ignore it despite all obviousness to the contrary. CDPR can say all they want about how Cyberpunk singleplayer is complete and the multiplayer is just a free bonus. I don't need to fund their dreams of becoming a Rockstar.
ReynardFox: I'm not gonna go so far as to cancel my pre-order, but if the game arrives and it DOES have micro-transactions or any galaxy-only nonsense, then I will be demanding a refund.
The singleplayer game won't have transactions, but any future MP mode (or separated MP game using the assets) will most likely have them. Also, I expect patching/updates through Galaxy will be the so much more convenient option and take priority.
B1tF1ghter: Itch.io.:
+DRM-free by the book
PaterAlf: Just want to point out that not all games on Itch.io are DRM-free. There are games that will only give you a Steam key. For example Syberia 3:

https://plug-in-digital.itch.io/syberia-3
Good to know, as I'm looking to buy more at itch.
Gog have been heading down this path since they dropped the good old games label due to the limited amount of old games which they could get and other stores could do "indie" games better and pander to the politically correct hipsters pushing them.

We've also seen increasing social media spying with gog and the claim they were feeding sales data off to google plus whatever is hidden behind gog-statics.

adamhm: And to top it all off, to do this with Epic's store in particular? Who have employed such scummy practices that it would have been less egregious if GOG had announced this deal with Steam!
Steam has been worse but has more features and cheaper games. The way some people are complaining in this thread makes them look willfully ignorant.

krakataul: But for us consumers nothing practically changes (as we still get to buy DRM free games from GOG.com if we wish), other than our perception of GOG and what they (used to?) stand for.
adamhm: Nothing changes for now, but in 6 months? A year? Two years? Five years...? Only time will tell. It took some time for Humble to transition from being their own thing into becoming a mere Steam key reseller too.
Gamersgate went in that direction too. Humble was famous for it's shifty charity scheme.

adamhm: --> So it stands to reason that publishers may well decide "why bother with the time, effort and expense of a 'proper' GOG release of our game when we can simply release the game on Epic, have it be sold through GOG Galaxy and still target the majority of their userbase?"
AB2012: If GOG's "cut" comes out of Epic's with no renegotiation, then there may be more direct financial reasons for publishers to not do a proper GOG release:-
It depends if there is a drm free clause in this deal and easy gog conversion from the Epic files.

krakataul: Unfortunately, I am old enough and, as time goes by, more and more cynical to know not to put too much value on the "core values" of business entities, hypocritical and unethical stances are often the norm.
Public companies are forced to earn as much as they can for their shareholders depending on the countries laws
Post edited October 05, 2020 by §pectre
What history ? You mean like the history of the three Witcher games that were complete, had multiple free upgrade, including a full overhaul for the first one, of the "history" of Witcher 3 specifically where they release a complete single player game and then months later (maybe years I don't remember) released Gwent the "multiplayer" part that was totally independent and didn't impact the former. And they even released Throne Breaker that was the promised single player version of Gwent which are DRM-free, offline, and without any sort of micro transaction.

You are right with such an infamous history it's pretty obvious, as you said, that Cyberpunk will be riddled with micro transactions...
Boy GOG, you are really playing with fire here.
Gersen: What history ? You mean like the history of the three Witcher games that were complete, had multiple free upgrade, including a full overhaul for the first one, of the "history" of Witcher 3 specifically where they release a complete single player game and then months later (maybe years I don't remember) released Gwent the "multiplayer" part that was totally independent and didn't impact the former. And they even released Throne Breaker that was the promised single player version of Gwent which are DRM-free, offline, and without any sort of micro transaction.

You are right with such an infamous history it's pretty obvious, as you said, that Cyberpunk will be riddled with micro transactions...
Not sure but I remember something about that the multiplayer part will be it's own game and not be incorporated into the Cyberpunk 2077 game.

I still do not like that GOG is making Galaxy also a storefront for the games of the Epic Games store. As people pointed out, why make GOG versions of games, when you can just sell them through Epic Games.
Post edited October 06, 2020 by Arundir
ReynardFox: I'm not gonna go so far as to cancel my pre-order, but if the game arrives and it DOES have micro-transactions or any galaxy-only nonsense, then I will be demanding a refund.
I'll second what rodrolliv said. They're probably gonna try for GTA Online income.
high rated
victorchopin: Personally, again, I'd be way happier with some cloud gaming solution.. like "here's witcher 3 you bought on gog. Can't run it? No worries, try our streaming and stuff, but the game's all yours". That would be awesome.
In my opinion, this would be worse than the Epic deal. Cloud gaming is the ultimate DRM. If the company decides that they don't want you to play the game anymore, they can simply flip a switch and cut you off, and they can do it for any reason. ("There aren't enough people playing this old single-player game to justify it using up our server space", "Oops, we lost a licensing agreement with this dev", "Sales for Madden 20 are sluggish - let's turn off access to Madden 19 so everyone has to buy Madden 20", etc.) In addition, since there are no local game files, there's not even a hope of using tools to crack the DRM'd files. The day that video gaming goes cloud-only is the day that I stop buying new games and either replay my library or find another use for my free time.
SpikedWallMan: The day that video gaming goes cloud-only is the day that I stop buying new games and either replay my library or find another use for my free time.
Agreed! What I mean is like having your gog game (yours to keep, forever) plus a cloud option, browser or something. This would be something truly remarkable. Kinda impossible but cool nonetheless heh.
What do we really fear here? Are we concerned developers will coerce GOG to only release their games on Galaxy instead of GOG?

Well, such developers were never going to embrace DRM-free anyway... at least not here and now...

And those of us who truly embrace DRM-free are not going to suddenly start supporting games tied to proprietary clients either.

So what's really changing?
high rated
agogfan: So what's really changing?
That a company which styled themselves fighters for gamers' rights and against DRM now tries to make money selling games with DRM?
People are always worried lol they already said that their goal with galaxy is that you just have to use one launcher and this is one step further.Their own games stay drm free and always will nobody would use gog anymore if they would break their promise