It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Melvinica: Take a pick
To that I can only reply with a Paradise Lost oldie.
mrkgnao: - Serment - Contract with a Devil ---- Galaxy not optional for 13+ months
- Slay the Spire --- Galaxy not optional for 2+ weeks
- The Witcher 3 --- Galaxy not optional 22+ months (assuming you want Chinese)
- Trine Enchanted Edition --- Galaxy not optional for 3+ YEARS
- True Fear: Forsaken Souls Part 2 --- Galaxy not optional for 5+ weeks
Wow. I didn't know the situation was THAT bad. I'm aware of few days or weeks delays, but this?!
Could you make a dedicated thread/post about this from A-Z in exactly this format, so this gets the attention it deserves?
Melvinica: Take a pick
WinterSnowfall: To that I can only reply with a Paradise Lost oldie.
That one fits too.
I would like to see the Epic in GOG Connect, but they never do that :P
erbello: I would like to see the Epic in GOG Connect, but they never do that :P
Connect likely costs GOG a lot of money because they have to pay for every copy that is claimed. Also, linking your accounts can't be undone.
high rated
So it has happened.

I would actually have a damn site more respect for gog if they would just come clean on this.

gog.com continues to support DRM free whilst galaxy leads a brave new path to embracing DRM, but they are actually now separate entities?

Sounds like a desperate attempt to hold on to sales from both perspectives.

Just come clean gog and call it like it is: you don't give a shit about DRM free gaming anymore.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by lazydog
high rated
mrkgnao: - Serment - Contract with a Devil ---- Galaxy not optional for 13+ months
- Slay the Spire --- Galaxy not optional for 2+ weeks
- The Witcher 3 --- Galaxy not optional 22+ months (assuming you want Chinese)
- Trine Enchanted Edition --- Galaxy not optional for 3+ YEARS
- True Fear: Forsaken Souls Part 2 --- Galaxy not optional for 5+ weeks
russellskanne: Wow. I didn't know the situation was THAT bad. I'm aware of few days or weeks delays, but this?!
Could you make a dedicated thread/post about this from A-Z in exactly this format, so this gets the attention it deserves?
I'm sorry. I no longer have the willpower to do it once again, for the umpteenth time.

GOG is fully aware of this. I have contacted them via support about it in the past (last time two weeks ago about True Fear Part 2 (no reply yet)). I have supplied others with the information and they have contacted GOG via support. I have posted about it on the forum.

When contacted, they:
1) sometimes fix the issue
2) sometimes explain why the two differently numbered versions are in fact the same (which can indeed be the case, since GOG changes its versioning scheme almost as fast as it changes its principles) --- this makes identifying differences between offline and galaxy installers even more difficult
3) sometimes say that they will fix the issue, then forget about it
4) sometimes ignore me

Regardless, even if they fix it, it's a losing battle. By the time they fix one such forgotten offline installer, two new ones appear, in other games, or even in the same games.

It's clear that the offline installers are a low priority for GOG. That's what happens when you're a monopoly. They know we can't really go anywhere else.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by mrkgnao
high rated
Twelve years ago, we needed a store like GOG. Apparently, we still do.
@mrkgnao
Understandable. You have done more than enough for the community here.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by russellskanne
I believe this is just the tip of the iceberg, with Epic already in, what's to stop them from getting UPlay, Origin and the whole gang now? Will be a matter of time before this stuff will be introduced.

This has probably been their intention since last year (only that we never saw it coming in this form): https://www.gog.com/news/bgog_galaxy_20b_all_your_games_and_friends_in_one_place_copy3

--------------------------------------

I'm not happy with the way things have turned out, as mrkgnao pointed out there are some offline installers on an older version compared to Galaxy and THAT annoys the hell out of me as I (the customer) end up chasing devs to fix these loose ends sometimes. I'm afraid as more focus shifts on Galaxy, these incidents will keep happening.

With that said, I'll still keep buying games that are advertised on the site as normally, but I'll be twice as wary when doing so in order to avoid any pitfalls with outdated games and will less likely to buy games at release, not too keen on getting shafted in the long run.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Ganni1987
I don't use GOG Galaxy. So long as they keep making DRM FREE binaries for the games that I want, I'll keep shopping here.
high rated
Yucaju: I don't use GOG Galaxy. So long as they keep making DRM FREE binaries for the games that I want, I'll keep shopping here.
That's a good approach, as long as you don't care whether the game binaries are up to date or not:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/news_gog_galaxy_to_start_selling_epic_games/post281
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/news_gog_galaxy_to_start_selling_epic_games/post291

Or actually work as intended:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/news_gog_galaxy_to_start_selling_epic_games/post297
high rated
Good news™, eh?

The way that GOG's handling this smells like they're still not quite ready to drop those of us that value DRM-free and the standalone installers.
Anyway, lots of good points have already been made by a number of people, no point in repeating the things that are worrisome about this.

SmollestLight: We're sorry to hear that this annoncement has caused confusion, so let me try to address some misunderstandings that I've seen in the comments. [...]
You forgot to say that you'll try to improve communication in the future. Or is this no longer part of the blue-text talk?

AB2012: That "most requested new feature" claim was debunked in about 5 minutes on the other thread. Unless there's some niche where an army of new Galaxy 2.0 users are demanding the ability to buy DRM'd non-GOG games via Galaxy, then sending in that one feature request to GOG HQ via physical mail, morse code, carrier pigeon, telegram, fax or telephone without ever using the feature wishlist, I cannot figure out why GOG would lie about something so easily disproven just by quoting their own wishlist ordered by votes...

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy#order=votes_total

Not only is it not "the most requested feature", 3 single votes is barely 0.01% of the wishlist demand just for the one entry for Galaxy for Linux. I know there have been PR slip-ups in the past but "completely fabricate popular demand for the exact opposite thing of why people specifically buy GOG versions of games by a factor of +1,000,000%" is the kind of amateurish "viral marketing" mistake that falls flat and is a true "Triple Facepalm" moment.
cough... cough...

rjbuffchix: Thank you so much for doing so. That is a very nice (grim?) snapshot. The reality too is that there are 24 other letters in the alphabet and thus surely there are many more games that demonstrate this same problem. I know there is a forum topic dedicated to the second-class treatment of offline installer users so it is not like this is a new revelation, but it is really startling when spelled out line by line with the time frame like that. [...]
[emphasis added]

Which thread are you referring to?

sanscript: I like how they shoved it under the rug silently and then announce the 12-year birthday with sale...[...]
That's actually normal GOG practice - they always announce a big new release and/or sale shortly after breaking some Good news!™, preferably just before a weekend.
Post edited October 03, 2020 by HypersomniacLive
high rated
What mrkgnao writes about is shocking to me. I knew about the problem but did not realise the scale. This makes me seriously rethink my commitment to GOG. I often choose to pay more for the GOG version of the game. Perhaps what I am doing does not make sense.
high rated
foxworks: Wait, wait, there was a GOG announcement? Did I miss it? I read it elsewhere (outside GOG) and a 'small blurb' in the forum, but I haven't read an official GOG announcement. [...]
Haven't you heard? In current GOG, Good news!™ are announced by GOG.COM Support Representatives responsible for forum moderation (SmollestLight) exclusively in a sub-forum where it's expected to reach a lot less people, and hoped to be received positively.