It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Don't know why THIS specifically is getting everyone worked up.

- Gog wants to create a universal Game Launcher
- Galaxy has APIs that associate your account on other platforms to your Galaxy account
- Gog introduced functionality into their Galaxy so that you can buy specific games from Epic if you want
- Those games will only be added to the account associated with Epic.
- They will be listed in Gog Galaxy's list of games owned by you on that other platform.
- You would be able to install/launch those games through Galaxy if you have the launcher for Epic installed. You do not get drm-free installers through gog or galaxy
- If you don't want to buy Epic games through Galaxy, you can filter them out, and are missing nothing
- If you don't use Galaxy at all, you have exactly the same experience as before

Are people seriously having PHILOSOPHICAL problems with this news?
Gog's DRM-free stance has not changed. Sure, they are now profitting off of potential DRMed games, in the name of making a more inclusive client, but what does that mean to you? You feel dirty because GOG is now tainted due to having DRM blood-money?

I hope this means that whatever deal gog made with Epic results in a couple of good classic games showing up here.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by babark
high rated
SmollestLight: We're sorry to hear that this annoncement has caused confusion, so let me try to address some misunderstandings that I've seen in the comments.

Naturally GOG.COM remains a DRM-free Store. GOG GALAXY 2.0 is an optional app, and was created to organize all of your games across multiple gaming platforms. The new store inside the app approaches this sentiment to welcome all games from all platforms, including GOG.COM.
Thank you for posting here, though I don't find it very reassuring. Here is where some of the confusion lies: A consumer purchase is between two entities: customer and business. In this case, the business, or company, is GOG. As it turns out, the company GOG is now seeking to sell games both on "GOG.com" and through "Galaxy 2.0". However, both points of purchase as I understand it are run by GOG and trace back to GOG, the company.

In other words, it appears GOG the company is now affirming they are okay with the idea of selling DRMed products via the "new store" in Galaxy 2.0 (so long as the DRMed products come from Epic). As other users have discussed, the DRM-free principle is paramount to GOG as a company and a brand which makes ANY such partnership extremely confusing at best.

Also confusing that now all of a sudden, "GOG and Galaxy 2.0 are totally different entities, honest!". I even made a topic in hopes of discussing and debunking such. This narrative is getting pushed awfully hard and as other users point out flies in the face of reality...especially for those of us who are here for the DRM-free offline installers completely separate from Galaxy and not using Galaxy to download even one of them.

rjbuffchix: Amok, the issue for me isn't with the "second class citizen" list (which AB2012 discussed elsewhere in his post) but rather the fact that non-Galaxy users may miss out entirely on new releases going forward in this partnership. It's a bit of a tricky point but the argument is basically that now developers have very little, if any, incentive to provide DRM-free games to the non-Galaxy users. Prior to getting in bed with Epic, GOG had negotiating power with such developers which has now evaporated. That is, for a developer's game to be listed on GOG, a game had to be DRM-free (well, leaving aside problem of DRMed multiplayer releases). So a developer wanting to reach the GOG audience had to compromise on their (typical) love of DRM. Now, that is gone. The developer can put the game on Epic, agree with GOG that they can also sell it through the client, and call it a day..."who cares if it has DRM...GOG users can just buy it through GOG Galaxy".
amok: I'm not sure what you would be missing out on... would you have bought the game on Epic? if the answer is no, then you are not missing out of anything as you would not have bought the game to start with - and if the answer is yes, then.... you are there....

and for the rest - gOg is still going to get and sell DRM free games as usual, as I can see it, this relates to games that would not be on gOg anyway.
It's about opportunity cost. Going forward, games that would have potentially been able to come to GOG DRM-free are now likely to just release on Epic, and only be available to GOG users through the Galaxy 2.0 app (i.e. the games would stay on Epic most likely with DRM). GOG the company is now not only "going to get and sell DRM-free games as usual," but also, apparently, DRMed games. That in turn weakens any negotiating power they have to get future releases here on GOG.com DRM-free. In fact, GOG's own push of everything Galaxy compounds the problem since they and developers/publishers have mutual incentive to get people buying and playing on Galaxy, instead of via offline installers downloaded through the browser library.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by rjbuffchix
kmanitou: Did you get a nice train set?
Yeah, but that came somewhat a bit later. My father was way more interested in it so I figured he could just have it while I did something else.

Funny thing is, when my grandmother announced that the dinner was ready, he had trouble letting go...
SmollestLight:
I can imagine you're glad you have some sort of protection in times like this (for your sake I mean)...

https://images.bonanzastatic.com/afu/images/e726/ca25/367c_4841514242/__10.jpg
https://images.bonanzastatic.com/afu/images/e06d/463d/6a0c_4841514017/__10.jpg
Post edited October 02, 2020 by sanscript
SmollestLight: GOG GALAXY 2.0 is an optional app
mrkgnao: Can you please explain this statement?

Let 's take an example. I own "Cinders" on GOG. I want to play it. Naturally, I want to play the latest version, which is version 1.2.7 from February 2019. If I install via Galaxy that is indeed what I get. But if I decide not to install via the "optional" Galaxy, but instead use the GOG offline installer, what I get instead is version 1.2.5a from September 2018. You had 19+ months to update the offline installer, but have not done so, obviously because what counts is what's on Galaxy. For this game, Galaxy has not been optional for 19+ months.

And, no, this is not an isolated example at all.
Wow.

Please post more examples. I think more folks here need to be aware of this.

Let 's take an example. I own "Cinders" on GOG. I want to play it. Naturally, I want to play the latest version, which is version 1.2.7 from February 2019. If I install via Galaxy that is indeed what I get. But if I decide not to install via the "optional" Galaxy, but instead use the GOG offline installer, what I get instead is version 1.2.5a from September 2018. You had 19+ months to update the offline installer, but have not done so, obviously because what counts is what's on Galaxy. For this game, Galaxy has not been optional for 19+ months.

rjbuffchix: Wow.

Neverwinter Nights got a massive lighting engine upgrade a while ago that still only exists on Galaxy.
high rated

A few more examples, collected in ten minutes of checking my library (only games beginning with S or T):
- Serment - Contract with a Devil ---- Galaxy not optional for 13+ months
- Slay the Spire --- Galaxy not optional for 2+ weeks
- True Fear: Forsaken Souls Part 2 --- Galaxy not optional for 5+ weeks
Post edited October 03, 2020 by mrkgnao
high rated
babark: Gog's DRM-free stance has not changed. Sure, they are now profitting off of potential DRMed games
If you seriously don't see how self-contradictory this is, I don't even know what to tell you.
ReynardFox: This is a really damning indictment, and I expect GOG won't even attempt to address it, at least not with anything more than empty rhetoric.
Exactly.

Kinda like comments like "we're here in case you wondered or missed us... but unofficially we're really not here".
high rated
Nothing we say is going to change this situation. They will just bulldoze through all the objections and comments and go ahead with it, all the "we're listening to feedback" is just a weak attempt to deflect that it's a done deal.
high rated
SmollestLight: Naturally GOG.COM remains a DRM-free Store. GOG GALAXY 2.0 is an optional app, and was created to organize all of your games across multiple gaming platforms. The new store inside the app approaches this sentiment to welcome all games from all platforms, including GOG.COM.
I don't think anyone had any misunderstandings that games sold on GOG.com wouldn't remain DRM-Free, just that there's a very arbitrary distinction between GOG.com and GOG Galaxy being "completely different things" when it's more like a vegetarian website hoping that starting to sell meat products via an app won't dilute its core branding depending on how it was ordered (app vs website). That's definitely one of the most naive things I've read here when hardly anyone outside of GOG staff / forums makes a Galaxy vs website distinction.

Eg, in response to "which version should I buy, GOG or Steam", no-one on Reddit says "the offline installer purchased via GOG.com of x game is oudated". It's "The GOG version of x game is outdated". Literally no-one thinks "GOG Galaxy is not part of GOG.com" when the only way of installing GOG Galaxy is by downloading the GOG Galaxy installer from GOG.com...
high rated

Thanks for the detailed post. I don't pay attention to GOG very much these days, but it's clear that they don't want people like us to care about the actual game installer. If I wanted an ongoing updated version, I'd only use Steam.

GOG finds people like us to be a burden, because they have to maintain file versions and upgrade patches. And now without the file downloader, I have to use Galaxy to download the big games because my browser times out during downloads, and it detects installed game, prompting the "ongoing update" scheme like Steam.

If GOG wants to work like Steam, I'll use Steam. Hopefully the devs that want to sell their games without DRM will use itch.io more and more.
high rated
mrkgnao: You had 19+ months to update the offline installer, but have not done so, obviously because what counts is what's on Galaxy. For this game, Galaxy has not been optional for 19+ months And, no, this is not an isolated example at all.
Indeed. Broken tooltips in Divinity Original Sin, Broken mouse input in Amnesia The Dark Descent, etc. Solution = "We won't supply the last non-buggy offline installers, so just use Galaxy and roll-back". Luckily I still had the pre-Galaxified non-buggy versions but have since learned to not update any older offline installer unless something is actually buggy.

mrkgnao: A few more examples, I collected in ten minutes of checking my library (only games beginning with S or T):
- Serment - Contract with a Devil ---- Galaxy not optional for 13+ months
- Slay the Spire --- Galaxy not optional for 2+ weeks
- The Witcher 3 --- Galaxy not optional 22+ months (assuming you want Chinese)
- Trine Enchanted Edition --- Galaxy not optional for 3+ YEARS
- True Fear: Forsaken Souls Part 2 --- Galaxy not optional for 5+ weeks
Thank you so much for doing so. That is a very nice (grim?) snapshot. The reality too is that there are 24 other letters in the alphabet and thus surely there are many more games that demonstrate this same problem. I know there is a forum topic dedicated to the second-class treatment of offline installer users so it is not like this is a new revelation, but it is really startling when spelled out line by line with the time frame like that.

ReynardFox: Neverwinter Nights got a massive lighting engine upgrade a while ago that still only exists on Galaxy.
Thank you for adding to the list :)
Post edited October 02, 2020 by rjbuffchix
high rated

Best summary of the situation. There are many other examples.
high rated
Selling movies here was a better idea than this. If I want games from another store, I'll buy them from the other store. You guys are shooting yourselves in both feet and knees.