It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
GameN16bit: This changes nothing about GOG.com itself.
I'm sorry, but that's bullshit. Like I said in another thread, GOG used to loudly proclaim DRM as something fundamentaly wrong in the gaming industry. Now they are going to be making money off of it. If that's not a change, and a big one at that, then I don't know what is. It may not change how things operate here immediately, but it's an obvious, clear and undeniable paradigm shift.

skeletonbow: Did COVID screw up their revenue this year that bad or something? That's the only thing that would seem to make any sense to me at least - if this is actually happening and not a gimmick like I speculated previously.
If by "screwed up" you mean "vastly increased", then yes. The first six months of 2020 were the most profitable in GOGs history.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Breja
high rated
I'd also like GOG to finally make an official statement about what their goals are with Galaxy 2.0, because so far nothing they've done has helped their regular customers at all compared to version 1.0 (indeed some things are worse).

I don't agree with the apocalyptic tones of some, but what many may not have noticed is that this is only the beginning. The integration of some selected EGS games is only an initial test, and GOG has clearly expressed its intention to integrate all existing stores if conditions are favourable.

I'm interested that GOG survives in health to bring us as many DRM-free games as possible, so, unpleasant as it is, I can theoretically accept that they start selling "keys" from other stores from their client, but I'm afraid that in the long run this will make the release of native games on GOG redundant, as happened to Humble Bundle which became a de facto Steam key seller when it originally had many DRM-free games.
low rated
.Ra: It's still bad because gog's philosophy is against drm. That is still supporting drm in some form.
And GOG.com the storefront is still against DRM. You aren't buying these games directly on the GOG.com store front. Galaxy =/= GOG.com. If your complaint is GOG get's a cut of these sales? Why shouldn't they? The are developing Galaxy and putting resources into it's development. If Epic (or any other store) is going to benefit from that work then GOG should be compensated for it. If you choose to buy an Epic game, your buying your games from a DRM storefront, in this case Epic if you choose to buy from them, Galaxy is simply the gatekeeper in this scenario. Your not directly buying from GOG.com itself.

People are viewing Galaxy and GOG.com as one in the same and they are really not. Galaxy is not a store front for GOG directly, it is a client that happens to include the GOG.com storefront (and others with this update).

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
Post edited October 04, 2020 by GameN16bit
GameN16bit: People seem to be missing the point here. GOG.com is not selling Epic games directly. It's unlikely you will ever see Epic games or Steam games, whatever directly here on GOG.com. GOG.com is and will still be DRM free with this announcement. GOG has not given up on being DRM Free. This is a Galaxy feature.

Galaxy 2.0 is not like Steam, it's not a store front for GOG games directly like Steam is directly a store front for Valve... it's a universal launcher that is meant to unite PC launchers that also happens to sell GOG games that is developed by GOG. You can even tell that based on the fact you can completely disable the GOG.com store in Galaxy 2.0 and use it purely as a launcher. Would Valve do that? No. This is simply an extension to the goal.

As usual, this community does not take change well... I think this is generally a good thing and a step in the right direction that will benefit GOG users in the long run by making more people aware of GOG and getting people to buy PC games regardless of storefront breaking a large share stranglehold that Steam has had for a long time.

This changes nothing about GOG.com itself. So the doom and gloom is a little thick. Just my 2 cents....
First of all, Thank You for the clarification.

I can see the intent behind it better now, but I'm still questioning it somewhat.
Is this meant only for people who already use EGS (and other clients) to use GOG more?
If that is the case, then maybe I could see some people also buy stuff on Galaxy..
However, I also hear lots of complaints about Galaxy still, and everyone who uses Epic probably uses Steam, and from what I've seen many say, they still think steam is best client out there.
Given the lack or lateness of updates, achievements and friends..and all other stuff client users care about (I wouldn't know), why would they use Galaxy instead of Steam?
Maybe you can replace the, from what I've heard, crappy EGS store/client, but not many others.
One more thing, if EGS have better sales and deals on a game on both stores, why would buyers chose GOG over EGS?
Why would devs release DRM-free offline installers and stand-alone patches on GOG when they can already access the userbase via Galaxy?
I do wish GOG all the best, as long as they maintain their core value of DRM-free offline installers and standalone patches.
high rated
.Ra: It's still bad because gog's philosophy is against drm. That is still supporting drm in some form.
GameN16bit: And GOG.com the storefront is still against DRM. You aren't buying these games directly on the GOG.com store front. Galaxy =/= GOG.com. If your complaint is GOG get's a cut of these sales? Why shouldn't they? The are developing Galaxy and putting resources into it's development. If Epic (or any other store) is going to benefit from that work then GOG should be compensated for it. If you choose to buy an Epic game, your buying your games from a DRM storefront, in this case Epic if you choose to buy from them, Galaxy is simply the gatekeeper in this scenario. Your not directly buying from GOG.com itself.

People are viewing Galaxy and GOG.com as one in the same and they are really not. Galaxy is not a store front for GOG directly, it is a client that happens to include the GOG.com storefront (and others with this update).
GoG surely has a funny way to make everybody aware of that important distinction by actually not doing anything of the sort.
low rated
GameN16bit: And GOG.com the storefront is still against DRM. You aren't buying these games directly on the GOG.com store front. Galaxy =/= GOG.com. If your complaint is GOG get's a cut of these sales? Why shouldn't they? The are developing Galaxy and putting resources into it's development. If Epic (or any other store) is going to benefit from that work then GOG should be compensated for it. If you choose to buy an Epic game, your buying your games from a DRM storefront, in this case Epic if you choose to buy from them, Galaxy is simply the gatekeeper in this scenario. Your not directly buying from GOG.com itself.

Swedrami: GoG surely has a funny way to make everybody aware of that important distinction by actually not doing anything of the sort.
If one actually uses Galaxy, it's not hard to see. As I said, you can disable the GOG.com store in Galaxy completely. Can you do the same in Steam, Origin, Epic or any other store based client?

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
high rated
Swedrami: GoG surely has a funny way to make everybody aware of that important distinction by actually not doing anything of the sort.
GameN16bit: If one actually uses Galaxy, it's not hard to see. As I said, you can disable the GOG.com store in Galaxy completely. Can you do the same in Steam, Origin, Epic or any other store based client?
I missed that very important distinction too.
What with Galaxy being pushed so heavily here on GOG.
I think a further degree of separation between store and client is necessary then.
Make it have its own site, and put DRM-free offline installers and stand-alone patches fore and center on the GOG store.
Maybe keep achievements and all that other jazz on the Galaxy page and client..
GameN16bit: If one actually uses Galaxy, it's not hard to see. As I said, you can disable the GOG.com store in Galaxy completely. Can you do the same in Steam, Origin, Epic or any other store based client?
Well, not good enough.
The clarification/distinction needs to happen/be communicated before using Galaxy and being suckered in.

The removal of the "optional" disclaimer from the frontpage doesn't help either.
Alexim: I'm interested that GOG survives in health to bring us as many DRM-free games as possible, so, unpleasant as it is, I can theoretically accept that they start selling "keys" from other stores from their client, but I'm afraid that in the long run this will make the release of native games on GOG redundant, as happened to Humble Bundle which became a de facto Steam key seller when it originally had many DRM-free games.
This is my concern too as Humble quickly spiraled down the key reseller rabbit hole abandoning many of the people that originally bought games from them because as a key reseller they don't have to maintain their own store for those games to let people download them in my best guess. I mean ok no I don't think GOG will abandon drm free games but I would rather they push to make said games drm free on their own platform rather then simply reselling other platform's games. Then again if this really is just going to show up for people who have a connected Epic account and those that don't won't ever see this stuff then I can live with that just as long as I don't start seeing ads to have me sign up to Epic because just thinking about them puts a bad taste in my mouth.
Alexim: I'm interested that GOG survives in health to bring us as many DRM-free games as possible, so, unpleasant as it is, I can theoretically accept that they start selling "keys" from other stores from their client,
Like I just said, GOG's been doing very well lately. They don't need this to "survive". Any narrative that frames this as a necessity to "save" GOG is simply false.
Just smells like an extension of the client integration to me. And an extension which is a cooperation in direct competition with Steam.

Though everyone did keep using Galaxy despite the warnings of GOG heading down the DRM path. Seems to me we've fed this monster thanks to those citing "library convenience".
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Braggadar
low rated
Alexim: I'm interested that GOG survives in health to bring us as many DRM-free games as possible, so, unpleasant as it is, I can theoretically accept that they start selling "keys" from other stores from their client,
Breja: Like I just said, GOG's been doing very well lately. They don't need this to "survive". Any narrative that frames this as a necessity to "save" GOG is simply false.
And why has GOG been doing very well lately? The huge uptick can be directly contributed to 3 things generally. Witcher 3, Galaxy and Cyberpunk. And Galaxy 2.0 is a large reason they are seeing record sales.

------

GameN16bit: And why has GOG been doing very well lately? The huge uptick can be directly contributed to 3 things generally. Witcher 3, Galaxy and Cyberpunk. And Galaxy 2.0 is a large reason they are seeing record sales.
And...? That does not change anything about what I said.
low rated
Breja: And...? That does not change anything about what I said.
It does because Galaxy 2.0 brought in a lot of new users that wanted a way to manage all their games from different stores. This is an extension of that.

By adding features like this, more people will use Galaxy and by extension GOG will get even more people to buy games from them and increase their sales. This benefits GOG.com itself, because a) GOG will get a larger user base and b) developers will get more sales here and bring more games here DRM Free. You will directly benefit from this even if you don't use Galaxy.

GOG is betting on the fact that if people can have all of their games and social stats in one place (ie Galaxy) that they can evenly compete with Steam, Epic, etc and then the choice comes down do "Who is offering more value for my money" or "who has the game cheaper" and in a lot of cases that will be GOG.

------

high rated
Breja: And...? That does not change anything about what I said.
GameN16bit: It does because Galaxy 2.0 brought in a lot of new users that wanted a way to manage all their games from different stores. This is an extension of that.

By adding features like this, more people will use Galaxy and by extension GOG will get even more people to buy games from them and increase their sales. This benefits GOG.com itself, because a) GOG will get a larger user base and b) developers will get more sales here and bring more games here DRM Free. You will directly benefit from this even if you don't use Galaxy.

GOG is betting on the fact that if people can have all of their games and social stats in one place (ie Galaxy) that they can evenly compete with Steam, Epic, etc and then the choice comes down do "Who is offering more value for my money" or "who has the game cheaper" and in a lot of cases that will be GOG.
And still none of that contradicts what I said. Quite amazing really. Three paragraphs and you're not even close to what I said.

Also this:
GameN16bit: developers will get more sales here and bring more games here DRM Free. You will directly benefit from this even if you don't use Galaxy.
I call bullshit. If anything this will make bringing games to GOG proper redundant and less devs will bother to do so.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Breja