It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Maybe this is some promotion for Cyberpunk's release on Epic to lure customers to here?

Not sure, but unless it changes how GOG works on GOG, this weird "feature" will not really affect me since I don't shop on Epic.
high rated
Dark_art_: Crazy question: if selling DRM'd games is the only way to save GOG, while maintaining it's some of current functionality would you prefer GOG cease to exist or making a backwards step and sell DRM'd games?

I'm asking this, because I'm asking this myself and to be honest, not sure about the answer.
Populous TB brought me here but what made me stay was the offline installers. Once I learn about them (they are not that advertised huh) I started to buy some games on GOG.

This whole Epic stunt can't be good (for us who prefer DRM free games) in the long run and is a step towards less Linux support.
Time4Tea: Starting to sell DRM-ed games will lead to GOG's downfall anyway, since DRM-free is their only unique selling point. Therefore, your statement "if selling DRM'd games is the only way to save GOG..." is paradoxical. If they are at a point where selling DRM is the only way they can be saved, then they are already doomed.
Let's just start with the fact that there's absolutely no indication that GOG requires "saving". Let's not frame this in a sympathetic way like that. It's about more profit, pushing Galaxy, and further eroding what little is left of those pesky principles GOG used to have, vestiges of phase the menagement wants nothing to do with.
high rated
Time4Tea: Download and back up your offline installers now! Don't wait, do it as soon as you can.
I've been doing that continually. Entire collection triple backed up (Games, manuals, soundtracks, walkthroughs, mods, patches, HD textures packs, tweaks, etc). If you do it as you buy them, there's no sudden rush at all.

Linko64: FCK-DRM campaign always felt kinda cheesy, this has just made it look even worse. Odd times man, odd times
Yeah, a lot of other things haven't exactly aged well either... :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos

skeletonbow: I have to admit that this has occurred to me as a possibility also. DRM-free has always been their core tenet, that which they've sworn would never change. If this is really actually happening and not a hoax, the only viable reason for it that I can think of is to try desperately to save a sinking ship. I don't know if that's the case, but that's what it leads me to believe may be the case as this makes no sense for the GOG company I've followed for the last decade.
It would be a rather bizarre joke given Chandra ("chandra-Verified GOG Rep") posted on Reddit seemingly verifying it. I am wondering what the financial situation is like though as this sounds desperate as hell.

tfishell: We need "digital receipts" too :P
Privacy & Settings -> Orders History -> Click Down Arrow -> View Receipt -> Save as PDF. Only downside is it doesn't work with gifts / giveaway competitions bought via a different account.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by AB2012
Dark_art_: Maybe a niche in the grand world of games, but not irrelevant. It made GOG what is now after all.
Well the majority of people who buy on GOG use Galaxy, so... considering GOG is a small part of the market compared to Steam, and then you've got Origin and the rest... I do think those of us trying to avoid clients are an incredibly small niche. That's why I tend to take the perspective of being thankful for GOG doing their best, rather than angry and always looking to attack them.
tfishell: We need "digital receipts" too :P
AB2012: Privacy & Settings -> Orders History -> Click Down Arrow -> View Receipt -> Save as PDF. Only downside is it doesn't work with gifts / giveaway competitions bought via a different account.
The order email is the digital receipt, you can save that as a PDF (or .eml) as well.
It's a business and it's trying to make more money as any business would and there is no one forcing you to buy or use.
MysterD: But, that isn't entirely the case. We're likely going to need either GOG Galaxy or Epic Store App or even both to download these games.
Gersen: That's how it already works for all games using Steam or other store integration, you need to have the respective clients running to install or play them. While I still don't think it was a particular good idea, if you don't use Epic integration it shouldn't change anything.

Now if Gog start selling Epic games on the website or even if you don't use Epic integration then it would be a different story altogether.
I do have Steam, Galaxy, Epic Store app, Origin, Xbox for PC Game App (for Game Pass and the few W10 Store Games I "Own"), etc etc.

If I want a Epic Version for some reason, why would I buy an Epic Version via GOG Galaxy? There better be a good reason to do so, if I'm doing it.

There better be a discount, if I have to am buying an Epic Game from GOG. If it requires Epic to run, I better not be forced to also use GOG Galaxy. It better just be Epic, for the requirement. I don't need a double-DRM whammy or Epic and Galaxy.

I wasn't fond of say Dark Souls PTD (original) requiring both Steam and G4WL.

There has to be something for buying an Epic Version from GOG Galaxy. Will it have a GOG Connect for Epic Games, so I own them on both Epic and DRM-FREE on GOG? Will there be a better price-point via GOG?

But, I often buy games from GOG to avoid DRM. If I need a DRM-Less copy, I look first to GOG.
Maybe is a joke.
StingingVelvet: Well the majority of people who buy on GOG use Galaxy
That seems likely, but do we know this for a fact?
Dark_art_: Maybe a niche in the grand world of games, but not irrelevant. It made GOG what is now after all.
StingingVelvet: Well the majority of people who buy on GOG use Galaxy, so... considering GOG is a small part of the market compared to Steam, and then you've got Origin and the rest... I do think those of us trying to avoid clients are an incredibly small niche. That's why I tend to take the perspective of being thankful for GOG doing their best, rather than angry and always looking to attack them.
Before GOG even announced Galaxy I felt for a year or two that they would be seen by the global gaming market to be ever more and more obscure by having the only download method being a 1990s style download + patches etc. with a clunky downloader, and that they would invariably need to create a gaming client in order to remain relevant at some point. I remember mentioning something to that effect in the forums long before they announced Galaxy. I myself do like to use gaming clients for convenience, however I also greatly prefer to be able to download all of the files and manually install them for the flexibility it provides not having to rely on a client or backend service.

I've always though the overwhelming majority of gamers out there prefer a gaming client and think it is truer now than it ever was. While I download the games myself manually too, I haven't actually done a big download session for a couple of years out of laziness rather than not using the feature though. I hope this feature never goes away but at the same time I too agree that the number of people out there that actually care and/or actually use this feature in 2020 is almost certainly negligible and niche compared to their overall userbase. Humans are creatures of convenience and while some of us are stubborn and like to do things "the old way" and have our reasons, we can all be honest in saying that most people likely just don't care.

Sure, there are always people that will hear that and get triggered because THEY DO CARE, and be quick to say things perhaps like "that's not true I care and I know another person that cares, so that means tonnes of people care and you're wrong", but I highly doubt it. GOG knows what the statistics are for people downloading files versus installing via Galaxy and they've even spoken in vague terms about it in the past indicating almost everyone uses Galaxy now for years.

How many people out there care about all of the other "niche" things some of us care about though? We can all speculate from one extreme to another of course, but how many people genuinely only buy DRM-free or care about it so strongly they wont buy anything else anywhere else?

I strongly prefer DRM-free and buying on GOG, but I'm not DRM-free exclusive either. I buy games on Steam and its resellers over the same period of time I've shopped here too.

But while I accept certain forms of non-draconian DRM in some games, GOG was a safe haven from that and seen as a pathway to the future, a pathway no others ever achieved a similar level of success with. GOG did and grew things to where they are now.

I remarked to a friend a few days ago about GOG having Control which is only a few months old and how surprised i was to see it here and dozens of other AAA titles in recent times, and thought it was a marker of success for GOG going completely mainstream with DRM-free and dragging more publishers into the fold along the way, swimming in money.

Not sure whether to file that thought under "Delusions of 2020" or what though. Did COVID screw up their revenue this year that bad or something? That's the only thing that would seem to make any sense to me at least - if this is actually happening and not a gimmick like I speculated previously.
MysterD: If I want a Epic Version for some reason, why would I buy an Epic Version via GOG Galaxy? There better be a good reason to do so, if I'm doing it.
As I said earlier I don't really think it's a good idea per see (and again Gog communication is lacking on it causing controversies for something that will probably remain a seldomly used features of Galaxy), I suspect it's just to go with the whole "only using a single client for all stores" thingy that they push with Galaxy 2 (even if it's purely cosmetic as the real client runs in the background), now whenever it's really a feature that Epic customers wants or care about that's the big question. I use integration for my Steam account but I don't even use Steam client to purchase Steam games so I would never think of using Galaxy to do so.
Dark_art_: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/do_not_get_bought_by_epic_games - completed

"Since its launch, the most requested new feature has been the option to buy games not only from GOG.COM, but from other platforms as well, straight from the GOG GALAXY app" - from the original thread on the Galaxy forum.

Is the most requested feature by who exactly, I wonder, because we know who didn't...

Let's see how this rolls out.
That wishlist entry is fairly retarded when gog or at least cdprojekt is a public company and could have large chunks of it bought up.
It also clogs up the recent requested feature list due to gogs crap sorting so that good wishlist ideas get pushed to the bottom.
skeletonbow: Sure, there are always people that will hear that and get triggered because THEY DO CARE, and be quick to say things perhaps like "that's not true I care and I know another person that cares, so that means tonnes of people care and you're wrong", but I highly doubt it. GOG knows what the statistics are for people downloading files versus installing via Galaxy and they've even spoken in vague terms about it in the past indicating almost everyone uses Galaxy now for years.
Nobody knows what GOG thinks or knows, because they're not communicating anything to their customers. Equalling Galaxy usage to not caring about DRM-free sounds like the simple conclusions that can be made from the amount of torrent downloads.
low rated
People seem to be missing the point here. GOG.com is not selling Epic games directly. It's unlikely you will ever see Epic games or Steam games, whatever directly here on GOG.com. GOG.com is and will still be DRM free with this announcement. GOG has not given up on being DRM Free. This is a Galaxy feature.

Galaxy 2.0 is not like Steam, it's not a store front for GOG games directly like Steam is directly a store front for Valve... it's a universal launcher that is meant to unite PC launchers that also happens to sell GOG games that is developed by GOG. You can even tell that based on the fact you can completely disable the GOG.com store in Galaxy 2.0 and use it purely as a launcher. Would Valve do that? No. This is simply an extension to the goal.

As usual, this community does not take change well... I think this is generally a good thing and a step in the right direction that will benefit GOG users in the long run by making more people aware of GOG and getting people to buy PC games regardless of storefront breaking a large share stranglehold that Steam has had for a long time.

This changes nothing about GOG.com itself. So the doom and gloom is a little thick. Just my 2 cents....

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
Post edited October 04, 2020 by GameN16bit
high rated
GameN16bit: People seem to be missing the point here. GOG.com is not selling Epic games directly. It's unlikely you will ever see Epic games or Steam games, whatever directly here on GOG.com. GOG.com is and will still be DRM free with this announcement. GOG has not given up on being DRM Free. This is a Galaxy feature.

Galaxy 2.0 is not like Steam, it's not a store front for GOG games directly like Steam is directly a store front for Valve... it's a universal launcher that is meant to unite PC launchers that also happens to sell GOG games that is developed by GOG. You can even tell that based on the fact you can completely disable the GOG.com store in Galaxy 2.0 and use it purely as a launcher. Would Valve do that? No. This is simply an extension to the goal.

As usual, this community does not take change well... I think this is generally a good thing and a step in the right direction that will benefit GOG users in the long run by making more people aware of GOG and getting people to buy PC games regardless of storefront breaking a large share stranglehold that Steam has had for a long time.

This changes nothing about GOG.com itself. So the doom and gloom is a little thick. Just my 2 cents....
It's still bad because gog's philosophy is against drm. That is still supporting drm in some form.