It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

teceem: Edit: what do you mean with "access"? Buy them or play them?
Needing an account to buy is literally DRM, but not the kind that's relevant here. All GOG games need an account to buy, that doesn't make it the same as "DRM-to-play".
Truth007: How is needing an account drm? How else would you buy the game? It's not drm.
Read my post again! I was differentiating between account-to-buy and account-to-play. The last one is the relevant DRM.
And yes, buying software without an account exists. (via personalised links)
Post edited October 01, 2020 by teceem
Truth007: The games will be sold on gog.com too, games with drm. stop giving gog a pass.
If it ill happen that a game here on the site gog.com requires epic launcher you can have the
"TOLD YA SO" moment until then chill out.
high rated
SLP2000: To be honest, I don't know why so many ppl are upset about this possibility.
SLP2000: ... what's the problem?
SLP2000: The only thing I'm afraid of is that some devs will be happy to stay on GOG Galaxy and they won't provide DRM-free copy after some time to GOG.
You answered your own question. The move is completely antithetical to the concept of DRM-free. GOG is showing they don't care any more about the DRM-free cause and are more interested in facilitating customers buying games from another store to make a quick buck (to satisfy greedy Mr. Shareholder) than they are in promoting DRM-free and encouraging more players and developers to embrace it. It is a harsh slap in the face for anyone that values the concept of DRM-free games.

What is there to not understand?
Truth007: How is needing an account drm? How else would you buy the game? It's not drm.
Many bundle sites allow buying games without an account, so it's possible.
Truth007: The games will be sold on gog.com too, games with drm. stop giving gog a pass.
Dreaganos: If it ill happen that a game here on the site gog.com requires epic launcher you can have the
"TOLD YA SO" moment until then chill out.
From a "verified GOG rep" on Reddit in response to the question "Does this mean that I can install and launch games from Epic without Epic Launcher?":

"No, the launcher is still necessary as these games have DRM. It means that, if you already have the Epic launcher installed, you can install the game without leaving the GOG GALAXY app. Otherwise when you were to install the game, it will ask you to install the launcher."

source: https://old.reddit.com/r/gog/comments/j35rry/new_store_inside_gog_galaxy_launches_in_test_phase/g7aevm9/

So it seems that the Epic Launcher will run in the background no matter what.
Post edited October 01, 2020 by Aitchus
high rated
TO EVERYONE:

Download and back up your offline installers now! Don't wait, do it as soon as you can. The GOG ship is going down, slowly but surely, pulled under by greedy, anti-ethical corporate forces. Don't get caught wrong-footed.
A bit late for an April Fool's joke, don't you think?

Jokes aside, having to use the Galaxy client in the future to play your gog games doesn't sound so crazy now.
Sad times indeed. :/
Oh well, should that happen, I'll be fucking gone. :P
I mean, there have been quite a few signs that show gog not giving a fuck about a little DRM in the games they sell. :P
Post edited October 01, 2020 by NuffCatnip
high rated
rjbuffchix: You're thinking like one of us pesky old-school users that GOG doesn't seem to want to please. Don't you know the modern audience loves clients? If another client launches while you already have a game open in a client, who cares, it's still conveeeenient. The more the merrier! Or so some seem to think.
StingingVelvet: The difference between us is that I'm fully aware I'm in a small and irrelevant niche.
I think you're selling yourself short actually. We are a small niche but niche markets/businesses can succeed and in some cases have a better chance to succeed than entering a "red ocean" i.e. a saturated market.

We know that DRM-free is the USP of GOG. To detail that a little more, DRM-free offline installers of big releases are what are only consistently available on GOG, even when considering games available for purchase from other (smaller) DRM-free stores and the occasional Scheme release that can apparently run without clients (mind you, like Epic Fail Store, such games on Scheme are not advertised as such and can change to client requirements at any moment, which by the way has happened with games on both Scheme and Epic Fail Store already, but I digress). "Old games" is no longer the USP and in fact cannot be when other sites sell old games DRM-free. Without DRM-free offline installers of sufficiently significant releases, what is the incentive for a new customer to shop here versus other platforms?

In other words, what is the USP now? The client to end all clients? I'm not seeing how "a mega-client" is that unique from other clients especially when people don't seem to mind using the other clients all that much.
Time4Tea: TO EVERYONE:

Download and back up your offline installers now! Don't wait, do it as soon as you can. The GOG ship is going down, slowly but surely, pulled under by greedy, anti-ethical corporate forces. Don't get caught wrong-footed.
Wait just a moment, this is not exactly the Titanic hitting an iceberg. That being said, I already have backups of my offline installer backups (redundancy be praised), but I don't expect GOG to stop offering offline installers for the games they sell directly.

At least not... soon. Maybe eventually? It's hard to know what they're up to these days...

I'm still holding onto what skeletonbow said, that this might all be a joke in poor taste. Heck, at this point I'm hoping it is, against my better judgement.
Post edited October 01, 2020 by WinterSnowfall
rjbuffchix: In other words, what is the USP now? The client to end all clients?
GOG seems to be trying to transition from their USP "DRM-free" (which is their only selling point that is actually good) to "a curated selection of games" (which no one cares about, and in fact GOG curation has many opponents) and "one place to launch all your games from with Galaxy 2.0" (and like you said, no one cares about that either...especially not GOG customers who value DRM-free).
Time4Tea: TO EVERYONE:

Everybody who cares about DRM free should do that - but not because of fear mongering.
Aitchus: So it seems that the Epic Launcher will run in the background no matter what.
When i see the news of epic launcher requirements on this site you also got
your "TOLD YA SO" moment. As it will be my last day here as i walk away like i did
with steam 10 years ago. What happens withing galaxy i don't care.
high rated
SLP2000: To be honest, I don't know why so many ppl are upset about this possibility.

I think it'd great for GOG with possible cooperation with Epic in future.

As for DRM-free - it's only an option for GOG Galaxy, which btw I recently found out is a tool that ppl who don't care about drm-free games use. But they want to keep all their games in one place.

Anyway, I couldn't care less about Gog Galaxy, it's a feature that might not exist for me as well. If they want to add another option to GOG Galaxy which I will not use anyway, then what's the problem? And if this turns out to be a good mmoney maker for GOG, then I'm happy with it.

The only thing I'm afraid of is that some devs will be happy to stay on GOG Galaxy and they won't provide DRM-free copy after some time to GOG.
If Epic had offline installers to download; games not using any DRM; and games not requiring their client-app - I think a lot of GOG users would be okay.

But, that isn't entirely the case. We're likely going to need either GOG Galaxy or Epic Store App or even both to download these games.

People come to GOG for the DRM-FREE USP; that's the gimmick here.

Yes, I have all kinds of game-clients (most of them) and games (those laced with DRM and/or client-requirements) - but I come to GOG to get games without DRM (especially if it's Single Player) and the optional Galaxy usage (if it has Achievements).
Post edited October 01, 2020 by MysterD
Dreaganos: When i see the news of epic launcher requirements on this site you also got
your "TOLD YA SO" moment. As it will be my last day here as i walk away like i did
with steam 10 years ago. What happens withing galaxy i don't care.
Well if you don't care what happen within Galaxy then this news doesn't change anything for you.
high rated
What in the actual fuck, GOG?