It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

skeletonbow: For those unaware of GOG's old publicity stunt that generated much controversy, here is a link to the Wikipedia article on it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOG.com#Marketing_stunt_and_relaunch

Take special note that the publicity stunt occurred in late September 2010 - exactly 10 years ago. This is a 10 year anniversary prank. Prep yourselves for a new French Monk video in the future...
Would you like to bet on it?

I will buy you a $10 GOG game of your choice if this is revealed to be a prank; you buy me one if it's not. When would you expect them to publish this Polish Monk video (I believe the French Monk has been let go years ago)?
skeletonbow: For those unaware of GOG's old publicity stunt that generated much controversy, here is a link to the Wikipedia article on it:

Take special note that the publicity stunt occurred in late September 2010 - exactly 10 years ago. This is a 10 year anniversary prank. Prep yourselves for a new French Monk video in the future...
No mention on Epic store's news tab, so hopefully that's true.
Buried In Time: Hand-picked is the key word here. What if these hand-picked Epic Games Store exclusives are DRM-free?
You need an EGS account (that's DRM) to access them via GOG Galaxy, which makes them not-DRM-free by default.
high rated
SpikedWallMan: Well, I just posted my thoughts in the https://www.gog.com/forum/general_beta_gog_galaxy_2.0/new_store_inside_gog_galaxy_launches_in_test_phase/post13], and I am having trouble quoting is in this message. The short summary is that I am not a fan, and GOG moving away from DRM-free games will make me stop preferring GOG to Steam. Any sort of takeover attempt by Epic will cause me to stop buying from GOG entirely.
+1. If GOG decides to drop their anti-DRM focus, I will stop buying here. One advantage of GOG's model is that I can take my downloadable installers and leave whenever I want to.
rjbuffchix: You're thinking like one of us pesky old-school users that GOG doesn't seem to want to please. Don't you know the modern audience loves clients? If another client launches while you already have a game open in a client, who cares, it's still conveeeenient. The more the merrier! Or so some seem to think.
The difference between us is that I'm fully aware I'm in a small and irrelevant niche.
We remember. As a result of that stunt, I went to DotEmu, created an account, and bought my games from there for a while.
I don't know how much GOG earned with that stunt, but at least with my money, they lost.

Because of some other things that GOG has done in the past I even went 180 on my "never spent a single cent on Steam" principle and thought "well I might just as well spend my money on Steam" and bought some games over there.

Apparently in the end I'm not the kind of customer that GOG tries to get (I'm not sure what they are looking for exactly), but GOG could have gotten much more money from me, had they been the store that they were when they opened and stayed true to their founding principles.
I just wanna point out that it says " hand-picked Epic Games Store exclusive titles". So basically GOG is becoming a Keyseller site for Epic. Dont forget those games have signed an exclusive (most often 1 year) deal, so they require the EGS no matter what. Epic wont allow exclusive games to be sold without using Epics services. If Epic allows their exclusive games to be sold and used without the EGS, the exclusive deal would become pointless. And requiring an additional launcher to play the game imo feels like a DRM measurement.

If I want to use Galaxxy with my games on the EGS, I just buy directly on Epic (and use their $10 coupon stuff) and then connect EGS to GOG.
Buried In Time: Hand-picked is the key word here. What if these hand-picked Epic Games Store exclusives are DRM-free?
Ancient-Red-Dragon: You need an EGS account (that's DRM) to access them via GOG Galaxy, which makes them not-DRM-free by default.
Edit: what do you mean with "access"? Buy them or play them?
Needing an account to buy is literally DRM, but not the kind that's relevant here. All GOG games need an account to buy, that doesn't make it the same as "DRM-to-play".
Post edited October 01, 2020 by teceem

TheDudeLebowski: No mention on Epic store's news tab, so hopefully that's true.
Not sure Gog would risked getting sued by Epic over a prank. Then again it's Gog so maybe...
To be honest, I don't know why so many ppl are upset about this possibility.

I think it'd great for GOG with possible cooperation with Epic in future.

As for DRM-free - it's only an option for GOG Galaxy, which btw I recently found out is a tool that ppl who don't care about drm-free games use. But they want to keep all their games in one place.

Anyway, I couldn't care less about Gog Galaxy, it's a feature that might not exist for me as well. If they want to add another option to GOG Galaxy which I will not use anyway, then what's the problem? And if this turns out to be a good mmoney maker for GOG, then I'm happy with it.

The only thing I'm afraid of is that some devs will be happy to stay on GOG Galaxy and they won't provide DRM-free copy after some time to GOG.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: You need an EGS account (that's DRM) to access them via GOG Galaxy, which makes them not-DRM-free by default.
teceem: Edit: what do you mean with "access"? Buy them or play them?
Needing an account to buy is literally DRM, but not the kind that's relevant here. All GOG games need an account to buy, that doesn't make it the same as "DRM-to-play".
How is needing an account drm? How else would you buy the game? It's not drm.
high rated
SLP2000: The only thing I'm afraid of is that some devs will be happy to stay on GOG Galaxy and they won't provide DRM-free copy after some time to GOG.
At this point I think it's pretty clear that to the powers that be GOG as we know, with its offline installers, forum etc. is entirely obsolete and irrelevant at this point - Galaxy is the only thing that matters, and the only thing that has a future.
SLP2000: To be honest, I don't know why so many ppl are upset about this possibility.

I think it'd great for GOG with possible cooperation with Epic in future.

As for DRM-free - it's only an option for GOG Galaxy, which btw I recently found out is a tool that ppl who don't care about drm-free games use. But they want to keep all their games in one place.

Anyway, I couldn't care less about Gog Galaxy, it's a feature that might not exist for me as well. If they want to add another option to GOG Galaxy which I will not use anyway, then what's the problem? And if this turns out to be a good mmoney maker for GOG, then I'm happy with it.

The only thing I'm afraid of is that some devs will be happy to stay on GOG Galaxy and they won't provide DRM-free copy after some time to GOG.
The games will be sold on gog.com too, games with drm. stop giving gog a pass.
Galaxy doesn't support Linux. Epic doesn't support Linux. At the moment, this news doesn't impact me in the slightest.
high rated
SLP2000: If they want to add another option to GOG Galaxy which I will not use anyway, then what's the problem? And if this turns out to be a good mmoney maker for GOG, then I'm happy with it.

Answering your own question. GOG already seems to have relatively little leverage to make demands upon devs. Now that they made such a concession to where apparently even DRM is negotiable, one would think that GOG has even less leverage. In other words I wouldn't hold my breath waiting, now or later, for a DRM-free copy of the Epic DRMed games to arrive.