It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

One could say that GOG Galaxy is a simply stellar platform.

These past couple of days have been full of good news here at the office! First, our partners in crime CD PROJEKT RED told the world that 4 million copies of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt have been sold. Now we’re here to announce that in the first two weeks almost 700 thousand gamers worldwide have gone with GOG Galaxy as their monster-huntin’ platform - more than all other PC options combined!

Headcount: Over 693,000 gamers worldwide
Volume: Over 21.5 petabytes of game and bonus content
Achievements: 3.5 million unlocked
Combined game time: 1,770 years (that’s 646,479 full 24-hour days)

See the video below for more stats about The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on GOG.com!

<iframe width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9vh5mxm5Jy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jealous you’re not part of the stats? Join the GOG Galaxy open beta and help us raise those numbers!
Agree with above comments. GOG only has 7hrs recorded but I have played well over 60+hrs now using the Steam overlay... Why? SCREENSHOTS!! Such a simple, basic thing GOG doesn't seem to have. Also the friend adding system sucks hugely! I have to find my friends via these forums? I cannot simply search their name in the search bar? Come on! Long way to go till GOG is challenging Steam
low rated
FUCK you people complaining about Galaxy are all obsessed,nerdy,geek losers.
Why complain about a completely optional,FREE,online,DRM-free service?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
If you don't like it,FUCK OFF and uninstall it and leave the Forums open to people who may have REAL concerns.
UN-be_FUCKEN-lievable!
WereSquirrel: Galaxy has worked fine for me so far, at least as a provider of Witcher 3 automatic updates. Finally!

It's still light-years (get it?) behind Steam though, with dumb stuff such as having to install DLC one at a time and no option to install them by default.

So, definitely a step in the right direction, but not enough to make me abandon Steam as my platform of choice for new games, despite the lure of DRM-free.
You do realize it is in BETA don't you?
Post edited June 13, 2015 by bulldogtimbo
WereSquirrel: Galaxy has worked fine for me so far, at least as a provider of Witcher 3 automatic updates. Finally!

It's still light-years (get it?) behind Steam though, with dumb stuff such as having to install DLC one at a time and no option to install them by default.
Unless your downloading the game and DLC via the installers or via the site, Galaxy downloads and installs the DLC at the same time as the game unless you tell it not too. Just like in Steam.
DCT: Unless your downloading the game and DLC via the installers or via the site, Galaxy downloads and installs the DLC at the same time as the game unless you tell it not too. Just like in Steam.
Certainly wasn't the case when I installed Omerta Gold edition with Galaxy yesterday. Had to go to More -> Backup/extra's to find the 'Japanese Incentive' DLC and download install it manually. Luckily it was a DLC I knew I was missing when I started the game or I could've been halfway already before realizing it.
Post edited June 13, 2015 by Pheace
edgey642: Agree with above comments. GOG only has 7hrs recorded but I have played well over 60+hrs now using the Steam overlay... Why? SCREENSHOTS!! Such a simple, basic thing GOG doesn't seem to have. Also the friend adding system sucks hugely! I have to find my friends via these forums? I cannot simply search their name in the search bar? Come on! Long way to go till GOG is challenging Steam
Games are tracked by being spawned as subprocesses of the gaming client. If you launch the game with Steam (as do I), Galaxy isn't launching it and thus can't keep track of the time. In order to have Galaxy track it, you'd have to have Steam launch the game through Galaxy, but good luck figuring out how to make that work. Nothing I've tried has worked so far anyway.

There are only 3 reasons why I launch Witcher 3 and certain other GOG games through Steam.

1) Screenshot capability.

2) On screen FPS counter capability

3) Video broadcasting capability to friends-only or the world, and with or without approval to view.

Most likely Galaxy will have overlay support sometime this year (hopefully soon), and we'll have both of the first 2 features above. Video broadcasting capabilities are going to be a lot more complex to put together though and certainly wont be on GOG's short term radar for the Galaxy client I suspect. With the first 2 implemented though I'd launch most of my games with the Galaxy client as I don't need video broadcasting that often anyway and could always save and exit and relaunch through Steam if I need to broadcast.

Yeah, the friends system as is currently is pretty useless. I've gotten messages from people and am told there is a message waiting for me and I have no idea how I'm supposed to find my new message. Absolutely _nothing_ highlights "Hey skeleton bow, follow this arrow -----> here is your new message". You're just dumped on the chat/messages page with every single person you've ever shared a single private message with in your life down the left hand side, with an indication of whether or not they're online right now like you remotely even care. :) Having said that though, it's clear this feature is not complete either, and I'm sure future updates will fill out the missing functionality. It's just kind of sad that the old system that actually worked is not there anymore and we're basically unable to send messages to each other in a useful manner other than via Steam private messages or email etc. for now.

To whoever sent me a message recently: I didn't get it and have no idea who you are or how to find your message other than clicking on each one of 200 people who messaged me over time while the list dynamically reorders itself as people come and go offline, keeping track of which ones I looked at by pasting their names into a text file or something. Meh. :)
All retail copies came with a gog code and you had to download the remaining files if you had preordered for retail on pc through GOG (galaxy) so thats where probably 70% of all the numbers came from

Also while gakaxy is optional. You still launch it when launching the witcher 3. Unless you go to the direct executable in the installation folder and copy that to your desktop as a shortcut. Since most people are less tech savy these days, they simply don't realise or bother so they use galaxy while playing the witcher 3.

Hmm... I wonder why... Nah couldn't have anything to do with it auto launching.

My pc can't even run the game properly so I got to turn every single process off. That's why I had to find out how to play without galaxy.
Post edited June 13, 2015 by Senteria
Senteria: All retail copies came with a gog code and you had to download the remaining files if you had preordered for retail on pc through GOG (galaxy) so thats where probably 70% of all the numbers came from

Also while gakaxy is optional. You still launch it when launching the witcher 3. Unless you go to the direct executable in the installation folder and copy that to your desktop as a shortcut. Since most people are less tech savy these days, they simply don't realise or bother so they use galaxy while playing the witcher 3.

Hmm... I wonder why... Nah couldn't have anything to do with it auto launching.

My pc can't even run the game properly so I got to turn every single process off. That's why I had to find out how to play without galaxy.
I'm in the same boat as you.
Great news... That means there's only around 1 million PC gamers who bought The Witcher 3 (1.4 million at absolute most) and yet they sold over 4 million copies. That means that the PC market is JUST as viable as the console market if we look at those numbers. We'll estimate 1.2 million here, that leaves 3.8 to split between Sony and Microsoft. (1.9 million each if it's dead equal, 1.8 each if PC got the 1.4) meaning that the PC market is not nearly so insignificant as the console fanboys would like to believe. This is great news for us, especially those who patronize GoG because in this case, GoG got the lion's share. Meaning AAA releases can be successful if released on GoG as long as they're good quality games, people WILL buy them. I'm sure the game has been pirated many MANY times, but then, those people weren't ever going to buy it anyway.
Unfortunately so many large companies get caught up that piracy is lost sales and that DRM free encourages piracy, and that 4 million copies of a game is market failure these days (look at Tomb Raider) so... oh well. Maybe sooner or later they'll realize DRM only hurts the paying fanbase.
Galaxy has worked fine for me so far, downloaded games and updates without any issues other than the original game list problems which were already resolved, so from my perspective they are doing well and will continue to improve and add features that are optionally available for those who want them. To me that means I'm happy with it and the store is certainly easier IMO to navigate than the latest version of the You-know-who store in the client. Half the time I click on a search result in the You-know-who client nothing happens and page after page of recommendations in which I have no interest clearly their algorithm is flawed.

Keep up the good work and keep improving GOG, good job regardless of whether the stats are skewed or not.
GOG.com: ...Now we’re here to announce that in the first two weeks almost 700 thousand gamers worldwide have gone with GOG Galaxy as their monster-huntin’ platform - more than all other PC options combined!
According to this some guys in your company should lock themselves shamefully in the cellar, because all you've managed to get out until The Witcher 3 release was a buggy beta version of Galaxy. Seriously guys, in my opinion you screwed it up. That was the major event to introduce the platform and you've been unable to finish development and testing and came up with a beta. Chance missed and it'll cost you in the future, because a lot of new customers aren't impressed at all - read the forums.
Post edited June 13, 2015 by DeMignon
DCT: Unless your downloading the game and DLC via the installers or via the site, Galaxy downloads and installs the DLC at the same time as the game unless you tell it not too. Just like in Steam.
Pheace: Certainly wasn't the case when I installed Omerta Gold edition with Galaxy yesterday. Had to go to More -> Backup/extra's to find the 'Japanese Incentive' DLC and download install it manually. Luckily it was a DLC I knew I was missing when I started the game or I could've been halfway already before realizing it.
weird, it automatically adds all the DLC I have for games that have them. Granted I only tested a small few with usually one DLC attached to them such as Tales of Maj'eyal, Don't Starve, Towerfall, and Mount and Blade: Warband and each time the DLC was already installed when the game was. I would of tested Sword of the Stars: The Pit which I have all what 5 or 6 DLC's for but that's not "supported" by Galaxy yet so I would have to manually download and install the base game plus 5 or 6 DLC with it. So it's possible that Galaxy has some trouble currently with games with more then one or two DLCs.

GOG.com: ...Now we’re here to announce that in the first two weeks almost 700 thousand gamers worldwide have gone with GOG Galaxy as their monster-huntin’ platform - more than all other PC options combined!
DeMignon: According to this some guys in your company should lock themselves shamefully in the cellar, because all you've managed to get out until The Witcher 3 release was a buggy beta version of Galaxy. Seriously guys, in my opinion you screwed it up. That was the major event to introduce the platform and you've been unable to finish development and testing came and up with a beta. Chance missed and it'll cost you in the future, because a lot of new customers aren't impressed at all - read the forums.
I wouldn't say that is a lot.. the forums represent at most 1%(but it's probley more like 0.03%) of the people who use GOG and those complaining here about Galaxy being a rushed piece of shit(seriously how the hell do you rush a in development piece of software that is still marked as in development?) are a even smaller minority. Not saying all complaints here don't have merit just because they are a minority, there are more then a few that don't but that's for another time, but in the same sense you can't base the overall reaction to something on from what I counted a minority of a minority. Now if there was a noticeable drop off in Galaxy users then GOG would have a problem and you would be correct in your assessment but as it stands Forums don't always =/= everyone or the majority as such you take what is being said and then evaluate it on other data that represents the wider customer base and as I said you notice things backfiring then you take the less stupid crap that people are saying as that may be the same issues others are having and thus hurting your software or your store or whatever.
Post edited June 13, 2015 by DCT
i guess i'm not included in the stats since i use browser method
high rated
Such short memories some people when Steam was in it's infancy Valve launched Half Life 2 their servers were not ready for the number of users and people all around the world could not even start the game for days .
It even made it on to the BBC news in the UK .
So even though the world has moved on cut these Guys at GOG a bit of slack Steam was then and still is now a long way from perfect .
Post edited June 13, 2015 by sammoe
Yes, the site run by the company that actually made the game somehow has the majority of it's customers attributed to it somehow, imagine my surprise. I know that sounds kinda condescending, and I suppose partly it is. I mean, I've read the GOG version has a few extra things that the Steam version does not, so is it really hard to believe people are buying it here?

That said, I've had reservations (to put it kindly) towards CD Projekt in the past, but I must say that what I've seen of Wild Hunt has definitely been better than what I saw of the previous two games. I already have the first two from GOG - cause they were cheaper/had more bonus items - so if I ever get around to buying it, chances are I will probably get it here, as well.
DeMignon: According to this some guys in your company should lock themselves shamefully in the cellar, because all you've managed to get out until The Witcher 3 release was a buggy beta version of Galaxy. Seriously guys, in my opinion you screwed it up. That was the major event to introduce the platform and you've been unable to finish development and testing came and up with a beta. Chance missed and it'll cost you in the future, because a lot of new customers aren't impressed at all - read the forums.
To be fair alot of stuff get out in beta state
Its not like its something new.

If you get upset by introduction of buggy betas then you shoud maybe quit gaming.
Post edited June 13, 2015 by Lodium