It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

One could say that GOG Galaxy is a simply stellar platform.

These past couple of days have been full of good news here at the office! First, our partners in crime CD PROJEKT RED told the world that 4 million copies of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt have been sold. Now we’re here to announce that in the first two weeks almost 700 thousand gamers worldwide have gone with GOG Galaxy as their monster-huntin’ platform - more than all other PC options combined!

Headcount: Over 693,000 gamers worldwide
Volume: Over 21.5 petabytes of game and bonus content
Achievements: 3.5 million unlocked
Combined game time: 1,770 years (that’s 646,479 full 24-hour days)

See the video below for more stats about The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on GOG.com!

<iframe width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9vh5mxm5Jy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jealous you’re not part of the stats? Join the GOG Galaxy open beta and help us raise those numbers!
CharlesGrey: I also got a W3 code with my graphics card, and bought a copy via retail, and neither require the Galaxy client. It's true that it seems to be installed by default, but you can launch the game just fine without it, which is what I've been doing.
Can you opt out of that default install of Galaxy, or do you have to uninstall it once you've installed the game?
CharlesGrey: I also got a W3 code with my graphics card, and bought a copy via retail, and neither require the Galaxy client. It's true that it seems to be installed by default, but you can launch the game just fine without it, which is what I've been doing.
JaqFrost: Can you opt out of that default install of Galaxy, or do you have to uninstall it once you've installed the game?
If I remember correctly, it just installed it. The default game shortcut is also set up to launch Galaxy along with the game.

Both of that is questionable, but then, they probably did this for the Steam affine average Joe PC gamer, who expects everything to be automated and streamlined. ( And would post lots of complaints here otherwise. )

But like I said, you can launch the game without the client ( via the executable directly in the game folder ) and presumably removing Galaxy from the computer shouldn't affect W3 or other game installations, but I haven't tried that yet.
Congratulations GOG and CD PROJEKT RED. DRM-free is the wave of the future.
Pretty sure I would've bought it through steam if not for the NVidia code. Bit of a drag having to connect it to this gog account. The numbers may be a bit skewed.
jfplopes: Guys, the end of the GOG galaxy video gives us a tip for something.
What might it be?

tr3ein
It's believed to be a simple anagram T R 3 E I N = T R I N E 3
Trine 3
CharlesGrey: If I remember correctly, it just installed it. The default game shortcut is also set up to launch Galaxy along with the game.

Both of that is questionable, but then, they probably did this for the Steam affine average Joe PC gamer, who expects everything to be automated and streamlined. ( And would post lots of complaints here otherwise. )

But like I said, you can launch the game without the client ( via the executable directly in the game folder ) and presumably removing Galaxy from the computer shouldn't affect W3 or other game installations, but I haven't tried that yet.
Personally, I don't think I should have to uninstall a piece of software I didn't want to begin with. That's not why I shop at GOG, to get the equivalent of the Bing search bar installed on my system without my having a say in it.

I get that I'm not the target demographic for GOG... (I can't even make purchases off the website anymore because their third-party payment system provider's automated fraud screening system isn't kind to global nomads,) but it still makes me feel like I'm being divorced in favor of a younger woman with a massive boobjob.

Ultimately, I guess it is what it is: GOG wants to attract the Steam crowd by becoming client-based and I don't want to go down that route with them.
I would like all physical copies of videogames to say Gog.com - The DRM Free Game Store on them.

And Voldemort is not nearly as evil as "the platform that won't be named."
GOG.com: One could say that GOG Galaxy is a simply stellar platform.

These past couple of days have been full of good news here at the office! First, our partners in crime CD PROJEKT RED told the world that 4 million copies of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt have been sold. Now we’re here to announce that in the first two weeks almost 700 thousand gamers worldwide have gone with GOG Galaxy as their monster-huntin’ platform - more than all other PC options combined!

Headcount: Over 693,000 gamers worldwide
Volume: Over 21.5 petabytes of game and bonus content
Achievements: 3.5 million unlocked
Combined game time: 1,770 years (that’s 646,479 full 24-hour days)

See the video below for more stats about The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on GOG.com!

<iframe width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9vh5mxm5Jy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jealous you’re not part of the stats? Join the GOG Galaxy open beta and help us raise those numbers!
Wow, that is absolutely amazing! Even with the immense marketing behind The Witcher 3 and GOG Galaxy I never would have imagined GOG would get more than half of the gamer market for the game. Personally I would have thought 20% or even 10% of the market would be ambitious and a huge achievement but the majority? That's just... wow!

Congrats GOG! ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

I hope the ripple wave that comes off of this has tonnes of other big name games from big name companies flocking to the platform hand over fist tripping over themselves now!
Ciris: I am disappointed in the lack of instant celebratory comments in this thread. :C

I wrote this news post, damnit! And it's typo-free! (I hope).

Edit: ninja'd :D

Edit 2: You make SOME-OTHER-DIGITAL-DISTRIBUTION-PLATFORM-THAT-SHALL-NOT-BE-NAMED sound like Voldemort. I like you.
To be honest, I didn't even notice it until just now (I just woke up about an hour ago), but I have some thoughts as to why...

1) On my 30" monitor right now the news item on the front page is six pages down which will be several pages down on anyone's display for the most part. People come to the site both old and new alike and are confronted with "HOLY SHIT SUPER MEGA SALE OMGG!!!!!" and they're going to get lost in that more or less and quite probably never even look at what is below the sale. I just realized that while I normally look at all the news items, since the sale started I have more or less looked at the sale and never looked below it. I suspect many others are saturated by the mega sale also.

2) The Witcher 3!!! Everyone is playing The Witcher 3 right now and only giving cursory glances to the website to see if new Witcher 3 DLC was released or to visit The Witcher 3 forums. Mainly because The Witcher 3.

3) The Witcher 3.

:)
Post edited June 12, 2015 by skeletonbow
A very nice stat, but I can't get the game to run on my PC outside of GOG Galaxy.
Will not start when started independently but no problems via Galaxy. Go figure !!
If I could, I wouldn't be using Galaxy.

Fantastic game though !!
inyuasha147: A very nice stat, but I can't get the game to run on my PC outside of GOG Galaxy.
Will not start when started independently but no problems via Galaxy. Go figure !!
If I could, I wouldn't be using Galaxy.

Fantastic game though !!
there is supposed to be a second short cut that you can find in the game folder that will allow to to run the game without Galaxy.
Anyway to find out how many users in total have GoG/physical version of the game? Got some person who is spreading fud around stating that the 693,000 GOG Galaxy users includes Non GoG Galaxy users as well, and people are believing him and making GoG look like liars.
Impressive numbers. And I bet that half of Galaxy users ask here how to redeem game on Steam:)
Congrats.

But, I'm sure I'm not the only one that fails to see how The Witcher 3 is a "Good Old Game"...
I am so happy for GoG and CDProjekt Red. They deserved it for the hard work they put in.

For those complaining about GoG Client, it WILL get better over time. When Steam was first released it was a complete nightmare. That's putting it mildly. It was so bad I refuse to use Steam to this day. GoG Galaxy Beta version even with it's bugs and missing features was still far better than Steam's initial release.

I'm confident GoG will make their client better because they actually respect their customers and are passionate about games.

So where do I want to buy games? The guy that tells me that I can rent them or the one that says I get to own it and play it any time I want without a connection and install it on any number of my machines?

For me I love GoG because I can play my games in peace without dealing with any clients and internet verifications if I choose.
GodOfUrging: Those are soem nice numbers. But I don't think I'll be switching to GOG for my future non-Witcher gaming. Mainly because of all the little conveniences Steam has. (In-game chat, better download speeds and the ability to back up a game without havingto re-download the whole thing, being the most prominent ones.)
I can understand you miss the specified features (which I expect to be added at some point in the future, Steam initial release was more than in a sorry state) but I just want to point-out that, as far as I know - and no problem if you prove me wrong - you don't really backup your games via Steam. You get a copy of the files but without Steam you can do nothing with those. The backup downloaded on GOG can be re-installed and played without requiring any Internet connection at all (except for multi-player obviously).

Anyway, welcome here and do not hesitate to have a look in the forum non-news thread, that's where you'll find the best of GOG's community (the news thread being more of a mix IMHO).