It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
LootHunter: Then stop lying. Stop claiming that you want discussions about society's issues if you want people to "keep to themselves" any ideas that aren't aligned with your (and GOG moderators') views. You don't want a discussion, you just want your views to be validated.

I personally have nothing against Pride Month or Pride Month Collection. But it's attacks from people like you that are a problem.
Canuck_Cat: There's nothing wrong with me maintaining my own privacy from internet strangers.
I never said that something is wrong with that. I just pointed out an inherent contradiction between your claim that we should have a discussion and the inability for people who don't share woke ideology to respond without fear of being banned or worse.

There were already calls to ban everyone who has objections to Pride Month or doesn't subscribe to LGBTQ+/-ideology in general. And obviously, we aren't allowed to discuss the games from PMC in any way except positive light.

Canuck_Cat: Please list explicit examples where I've lied and attacked people in this thread.
And be banned for "going off-topic" or "being political"? Or any other excuse moderators would come up with? No thank you. I was already banned several times for simply explaining my views.

Just so you know, I've PMed @SmollestLight to get explicit permission to post criticism and until I get it I risk even by writing this very comment.

Canuck_Cat: Being in a public forum, people are more than willing to disagree with me openly as they have. And I can respond with my own input, open to your scrutiny. I don't see mods removing everyone else's civilized opinions in response to mine.
And? It was the same with previous discussions. Mods didn't remove comments and didn't ban people until they started to ban people and remove comments. Btw, there were already a few warnings made by mods.

dtgreene: straight romance plots are incredibly common in all sorts of media (going back to at least Shakespeare, and almost certainly millennia before them), to the point where they feel overdone, and I find I can't relate to those plots. Can you see how that can get frustrating when such a thing is *so* common in media?
While I agree that straight romance can be uncomfortable for gay audience (just like gay romances are uncomfortable for most of the straight audience), there are many games without romance.
Post edited June 07, 2021 by LootHunter
low rated
dtgreene: That's because, in the vast majority of games with characters, the main character is mostly "like you". If that weren't the case, you'd probably tell a different story.
I believe that user said/implied otherwise.

As for me: i've played games where I play the opposite gender, a robot, a monster(vampire/etc). To me, as long as the story is engaging and the gameplay is good, it doesn't matter much to me who or what I play as.

dtgreene: As long as the character doesn't have aspects or plot elements that contradict that.
Then one should change the plot elements in their head(i.e. using one's imagination, like some do with fan fiction/etc)....problem solved.

-

Canuck_Cat: I apologize, I did not mean that way. My point is both can co-exist.
Agreed

Canuck_Cat: While no idea should be free of criticism, there are valid reasons why it's important for some people to have relatable characters in their lives - possibly because they have none so whatsoever in their lives.
Fair enough, but as I said earlier: imo if people need such because of lack of self confidence/etc, it'd probably be better for them to tackle their lack of self confidence in other ways more so than seeking out relatable characters/etc in various forms of media.

(though if they somehow cannot tackle the problems they may have in other ways and that works for them, then I can somewhat understand them using such avenues to a certain extent)
Post edited June 07, 2021 by GamezRanker
low rated
dtgreene: straight romance plots are incredibly common in all sorts of media (going back to at least Shakespeare, and almost certainly millennia before them), to the point where they feel overdone, and I find I can't relate to those plots. Can you see how that can get frustrating when such a thing is *so* common in media?
LootHunter: While I agree that straight romance can be uncomfortable for gay audience (just like gay romances are uncomfortable for most of the straight audience), there are many games without romance.
Except that straight romance comes up where it's not expected, plus, unlike gay romance, it's horribly overdone.

Finding works without romance is not as easy as it sounds.

(It also doesn't help that some companies put romance where it doesn't belong, Disney's Hercules being an example (though that wasn't the only problem with that particular movie).)

GamezRanker: As for me: i've played games where I play the opposite gender, a robot, a monster(vampire/etc). To me, as long as the story is engaging and the gameplay is good, it doesn't matter much to me who or what I play as.
That doesn't work so well in games where the player's avatar is supposed to represent the player, but the game forces choices that go against the player's sense of self. (Again, I can cite Ultima 8 and Dragon Quest 5, particularly since previous games in both series did allow a binary gender selection.)
Post edited June 07, 2021 by dtgreene
low rated
LootHunter: I never said that something is wrong with that. I just pointed out an inherent contradiction between your claim ... without fear of being banned or worse.
Then this is an issue with the mods and my ideas are getting hit in the crossfire. It's not my fault your opinion is being hidden behind moderation I have no say in. If you have something worth sharing, open to all scrutiny like mine, then share it. There is no contradiction here.

I also never asked anyone to be banned in this thread. Again, do not conflate my ideas with opinions separate from mine. If you've read my comments at all, I tolerate LGBTQ+ and give them my respect. This is different from supporting, which is consistent with my sect of buddhism. Aside from disproving some blatant misinformation like them being pedophiles, that's as far as I'm willing to go. Yet for some inexplicable reason, you've chosen my centrist ideas to have issues with.

And be banned for "going off-topic" or "being political"? Or any other excuse moderators would come up with?.
You're more than welcome to.

And? It was the same with previous discussions. Mods didn't remove comments and didn't ban people until they started to ban people and remove comments. Btw, there were already a few warnings made by mods.
Well, they might have had a just reason to. We have to analyze the posts on a case-by-case basis to see if they've broken any rules. I do my best to uphold the forum rules. Hopefully someone is archiving this discussion for review later to understand if moderation is unfair as you claim it to be.

GamezRanker: Fair enough, but as I said earlier: imo if people need such because of lack of self confidence/etc, it'd probably be better for them to tackle their lack of self confidence in other ways more so than seeking out relatable characters/etc in various forms of media.

(though if they somehow cannot tackle the problems they may have in other ways and that works for them, then I can somewhat understand them using such avenues to a certain extent)
Very reasonable and an excellent solution. There are indeed many other productive ways to combat self-confidence issues.
Post edited June 07, 2021 by Canuck_Cat
low rated
LootHunter: While I agree that straight romance can be uncomfortable for gay audience (just like gay romances are uncomfortable for most of the straight audience), there are many games without romance.
dtgreene: Except that straight romance comes up where it's not expected
Oh, yeah? Tell that to people, who played Dragon Age Origins and just wanted to be nice to another male character, and ended with a gay romance as a result. It's not exclusive to straight romances to "come up where it's not expected".

dtgreene: it's horribly overdone.

Finding works without romance is not as easy as it sounds.
With this part I actually agree. Even if game doesn't feature romance option for the protagonist it's always a good chance you can bump into some reference, like a comment about NPC's private life or a sex joke. Still, games in genres like strategy or puzzle are less likely to have romance than RPGs or adventure games.

dtgreene: (It also doesn't help that some companies put romance where it doesn't belong, Disney's Hercules being an example (though that wasn't the only problem with that particular movie).)
It's funny, how I for a second time on a second forum see people ragging on Disney. If you don't like Disney movies, why do you watch them?

GamezRanker: As for me: i've played games where I play the opposite gender, a robot, a monster(vampire/etc). To me, as long as the story is engaging and the gameplay is good, it doesn't matter much to me who or what I play as.
dtgreene: That doesn't work so well in games where the player's avatar is supposed to represent the player
You do understand that this type of games aren't actually the majority, right?

LootHunter: I never said that something is wrong with that. I just pointed out an inherent contradiction between your claim ... without fear of being banned or worse.
Canuck_Cat: Then this is an issue with the mods and my ideas are getting hit in the crossfire. It's not my fault your opinion is being hidden behind moderation I have no say in.
No. But it's your fault that you ignore the fact of biased moderation, claiming that not only the discussion is possible but you are on an equal footing with your opponents.

For example, the video you've linked about the guy smashing girl's tv. If I linked a similar sketch, for example, something from Babylon Bee - I would probably be punished by mods, unlike you.
Post edited June 07, 2021 by LootHunter
low rated
LootHunter: No. But it's your fault that you ignore the fact of biased moderation, claiming that not only the discussion is possible but you are on an equal footing with your opponents.
How can I ignore something when I had no prior knowledge about it or can't even control? Again, seems like this issue is with the mods or your own behaviour that you're taking out on me. I've already said my piece about advocating civilized, open public discourse since those leaning towards your ideas can also gain something out of it.

For example, the video you've linked about the guy smashing girl's tv. If I linked a similar sketch, for example, something from Babylon Bee - I would probably be punished by mods, unlike you.
Enough games, please. Fully read the rules, cross-check them (especially misinformation), and post if it's fine. If you're not going to, then this conversation is done. Also, please don't blame people for an action they haven't yet done or it gives others the impression you have a persecution complex (and to be clear, all sides have their own share of people with persecution complexes).
low rated
dtgreene: (It also doesn't help that some companies put romance where it doesn't belong, Disney's Hercules being an example (though that wasn't the only problem with that particular movie).)
LootHunter: It's funny, how I for a second time on a second forum see people ragging on Disney. If you don't like Disney movies, why do you watch them?
The me of the time, I believe, did generally like Disney movies (particularly Fantasia, though that particular movie didn't have romance IIRC, but then again, it didn't have any dialogue, though I remember liking Aladdin and the underwater part of The Little Mermaid), but I did not like the movie Hercules when I saw it. (It's worth noting that I dodn't particularly like The Lion King, either.)

dtgreene: Except that straight romance comes up where it's not expected
LootHunter: Oh, yeah? Tell that to people, who played Dragon Age Origins and just wanted to be nice to another male character, and ended with a gay romance as a result. It's not exclusive to straight romances to "come up where it's not expected".
It's *far* more common for games to have straight romance, however.
Post edited June 07, 2021 by dtgreene
low rated
Good old GOG forums, demonstrating exactly why pride month is still necessary.
Post edited June 07, 2021 by my name is capitayn catte
low rated
LootHunter: Oh, yeah? Tell that to people, who played Dragon Age Origins and just wanted to be nice to another male character, and ended with a gay romance as a result. It's not exclusive to straight romances to "come up where it's not expected".
dtgreene: It's *far* more common for games to have straight romance, however.
I think something here is worth saying that forced romance like this is a problem, regardless of sexual preferences, as i've said in another thread. I think it's worth pointing out, though, that one is more likely to be pushed in for an agenda than the other, although ti requires not an agenda for either to be present. I don't know the situation in question, so i can't comment on it, but usually one wouldn't expect the political outcomes to involve the main character since it naturally causes a shock like the one seen from LootHunter. I recently played the demo of a "yuri game" only to find unavoidable straight sex scenes early on. It was clear it wasn't agenda, either, though, but the creator of the game being entirely tone deaf to his audience.
low rated
You seem to have missed adding Divinity 2 Developers Cut since in Divinity 2: Ego Draconis you are able to change your gender by way of illusion. This is why I think it has to be on the list and on sale! If you wish to be all-inclusive - that is! :-p
Post edited June 07, 2021 by Mori_Yuki
low rated
Mori_Yuki: You seem to have missed adding Divinity 2 Developers Cut since in Divinity 2: Ego Draconis you are able to change your gender by way of illusion. This is why I think it has to be on the list and on sale! If you wish to be all-inclusive - that is! :-p
At that rate we have huniepop for lesbians, and huniepop 2 for lesbians or bisexuals and 1 transgender person. And how about The Witcher 3, since Ciri's bi? or The Quest, since there's the opportunity for encounters with both males and females (pretty shallow, though). I'm sure i could come up with more if i looked down my list..

EDIT: How could i forget Shovel Knight? And, Shantae's got some suggestion going on there, but nothing official.
Post edited June 07, 2021 by kohlrak
low rated
Mori_Yuki: You seem to have missed adding Divinity 2 Developers Cut since in Divinity 2: Ego Draconis you are able to change your gender by way of illusion. This is why I think it has to be on the list and on sale! If you wish to be all-inclusive - that is! :-p
In Saviors of Sapphire Wings, you can change the main character's gender through reincarnation, which is something you can easily do for free in your room.

(Also, as I mentioned, a female protagonist results in things getting rather queer later on.)
low rated
dtgreene: Except that straight romance comes up where it's not expected, plus, unlike gay romance, it's horribly overdone.
Tbh i'd say the pandering to various groups(macho straight male, lgbt, minorities, etc) over the years by corporations(including game makers, film makers, comic makers, etc) is also starting to become overdone in some ways.

You mean Hercules and Megara? It's Disney....making the main characters fall in love is their thing.

dtgreene: That doesn't work so well in games where the player's avatar is supposed to represent the player, but the game forces choices that go against the player's sense of self.
If possible, change the avatars or just imagine a different one in one's head....again, as I said before, it's called imagination(fan fiction writers and others do this all the time).

As for sense of self, as I also said before: this(from personal experience and talks with others online/offine, etc) is/seems to be in large part due to a lack of self confidence

Imo it'd be better for players/viewers/etc to work on bolstering their self confidence rather than relying on media with characters similar to them like some sort of temporary fix band aid solution to the problem.

=-=-=-=-=

I remember this.

While I don't mind unexpected romances much in such games, iirc I was also surprised (at first) to see when my character developed a romance with someone just by being nice to them in said game.

The above said, however, looking back on the dialod/etc I did notice some subtle hints that certain choices would lead to romances with said characters....though I can see some people missing them and being surprised, just as I was the first time around.

LootHunter: You do understand that this type of games aren't actually the majority, right?
This is true...not all games have avatars.
low rated
Canuck_Cat: Enough games, please. Fully read the rules, cross-check them (especially misinformation), and post if it's fine. If you're not going to, then this conversation is done.
Not to get into this between you two, but staff/the rules stance is that all such personal chats should be done via PM.

i.e. in PM, such chats/topics are ok/allowed, but not in the forums.....so by asking him to post such here(where such is not allowed) vs PMs(where such is allowed) you're more or less asking them(even if not intentionally) to risk being modded to say something to you(something that could be civil and allowed in PMs yet not allowed in the forums).

A humble suggestion if I may: perhaps allow that user to PM you a bit.....if they act civil then hear them out, and if they act overly nasty/uncalled for then block them in PM again and/or report them.
low rated
my name is capitayn catte: Good old GOG forums, demonstrating exactly why pride month is still necessary.
I am LGBT and I disagree on it's necessity(at least in most of the first world) and a good number of other LGBT I know/know of online/IRL feel the same.

You know what's actually unnecessary?

Corporate pandering(it doesn't really solve much if anything), and also others who think they know what's best for us trying to defend us(as if we can't defend ourselves).