It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Just tried it out. Only issue I had was it was not set to execute as a program by default when I first ran it and it put up an error. Easy enough to change though, and then worked fine. Much better I think and easier.
BillyMaysFan59: As others have explained you can still unpack the installer.
comradegarry: I want it in a dang tar file so I don't have to go about unpacking it another way. What happens if they change installer system later on and say half of the games have installers this way and another have installers this way? I'm going to need to know how to unpack this installer format or this type. My whole library is backed up in .tar.gz formats now I'll have to manually go and configure everything when a new update comes along or something.
It's a zip file, and they're not likely to change from zip to tar.

In this case, what you do is just use xargs to convert from tar.gz to zip. It's not something that takes a whole lot of time to do. Or at least not a lot of but in seat time.
high rated
The new installers are MojoSetup-based like many Humble Bundle Linux releases, so this finally pushed me to write something to properly unpack them.

https://github.com/ssokolow/makeself_safeextract

(MojoSetup installers are makeself-wrapped tarballs containing MojoSetup with archive files concatenated onto the end to hold the game data. They don't have to be GZipped tarballs with Zipped game data, but that's what GOG used.)

That script should be less of a hack and more like innoextract in that, as long as the makeself version isn't too horrendously different, it should be able to read the shellscript stub without running it and extract both the MojoSetup tarball and the game archive from pretty much any MojoSetup installer.

(Though, because I ran out of time today, I didn't make it perfect. It just detects that there's some "cruft" after what makeself expects to find and dumps it as 2.bin. You have to rename it to 2.zip yourself.)

Run makeself_safeextract.py on the GOG .sh file and then run `7z x 2.bin` in the folder it creates. (You can use "unzip" but, if you use p7zip, it should still Just Work™ if GOG decides to change the type of compression they're using.)
comradegarry: I want it in a dang tar file so I don't have to go about unpacking it another way. What happens if they change installer system later on and say half of the games have installers this way and another have installers this way? I'm going to need to know how to unpack this installer format or this type. My whole library is backed up in .tar.gz formats now I'll have to manually go and configure everything when a new update comes along or something.
Take classicgogger’s or ssokolow’s script, chain it with unzip and tar, and you can have your tarball.
Hey, you could even interface this with lgogdownloader to have the repacking done at download time!

Just don’t forget to share your work here afterwards ;)
Post edited August 12, 2015 by vv221
Ciris:
mrkgnao: Is there a reason why this thread is not marked with a blue marker like other news threads posted by GOG?
AFAIK, it's the way the forums always have worked. Only threads created with the GOG account show a blue marker. Staff created posts aren't marked any different than other users.
mrkgnao: Is there a reason why this thread is not marked with a blue marker like other news threads posted by GOG?
Gydion: AFAIK, it's the way the forums always have worked. Only threads created with the GOG account show a blue marker. Staff created posts aren't marked any different than other users.
Let me rephrase the question:
Is there a reason why this thread was not created with the GOG account like other news threads posted by GOG?
mrkgnao: Let me rephrase the question:
Is there a reason why this thread was not created with the GOG account like other news threads posted by GOG?
Oh, I see. Good question.
vv221: Take classicgogger’s or ssokolow’s script, chain it with unzip and tar, and you can have your tarball.
Hey, you could even interface this with lgogdownloader to have the repacking done at download time!

Just don’t forget to share your work here afterwards ;)
Ask and ye shall receive.

I updated makeself_safeextract.py with a --mojo flag which causes it to assume a MojoSetup file and unpack the Zip file for you.

(I also added basic, minimal Zip format autodetection so, if you omit --mojo, you'll get "1.tgz" and "2.zip" rather than "1.tgz" and "2.bin")

I then went on to add a proof-of-concept (ie. minimally tested) lgog_grab.sh script which, to quote the help output you get when you pass no command-line arguments:
Usage: ./lgog_grab.sh <game-selection regexp> [additional lgogdownloader flags]

EXPERIMENTAL wrapper script which:
1. Uses LGOGDownloader to download <game-selection regexp>
2. Uses makeself_safeextract.py to unpack the MojoSetup installers
3. Prunes out the MojoSetup cruft to produce a more tarball-like directory structure
4. Builds a new .zip file (since MojoSetup already used a Zip file with POSIX permissions)
Post edited August 12, 2015 by ssokolow
ssokolow:
That’s just impressive, thanks for your work!
I’m already seeing a world of possibilities opening up to include lgog_grab.sh into my own project ;)
Post edited August 12, 2015 by vv221
Just... PERFECT!
Damn you Gog folks surely know how to surprise us :)
Thanks a lot for the superior work and hard effort, guys.
Ciris: Starting today, our Linux games will come with all-new installers that include more features, combine the best of our previous solutions, and plain ol' look better.
Thanks, I think it's useful for many users, but as others said, removal of tarballs is somewhat of a downside. May be there should be an option in the installer to simply dump a tarball from it (or whatever archived package is inside). Right now it's doable manually.
dtgreene: Also, an advantage of the tar.gz format is that it isn't proprietary. This is important in case I need to extract the file in some unusual context, like on a Raspberry Pi for example.
Mojosetup isn't proprietary and currently inside it uses simple zip archive.
See
* https://www.gog.com/forum/general/general_linux_faq_and_troubleshooting/post356
* https://www.gog.com/forum/general/general_linux_faq_and_troubleshooting/post359

Gydion: AFAIK, it's the way the forums always have worked. Only threads created with the GOG account show a blue marker. Staff created posts aren't marked any different than other users.
mrkgnao: Let me rephrase the question:
I think such stuff should be announced on the front page altogether. I totally missed this thread. I mostly read a few I follow. Or we need a new thread "What major thing has just changed in GOG infrastructure" ;)

Another way to improve it is to create subforums (long overdue!!). And then put news into a separate subforum.
Post edited August 12, 2015 by shmerl
The new installers work, but I get an this error in the terminal

(process:7636): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Attachments:
king_mosiah: The new installers work, but I get an this error in the terminal

For me it's more messed up. It doesn't pick up GTK theme (I'm using KDE Plasma 5 but have GTK themes set up for GTK applications). It uses the default squarish GTK theme.

It's probably a bug you can file for Mojosetup.
Post edited August 12, 2015 by shmerl
king_mosiah: The new installers work, but I get this error in the terminal

shmerl: For me it's more messed up. It doesn't pick up GTK theme (I'm using KDE Plasma 5 but have GTK themes set up for GTK applications). It uses the default squarish GTK theme.

It's probably a bug you can file for Mojosetup.
Well at least its not just me... I was afraid I would have to try reseting my locale settings.
Post edited August 13, 2015 by king_mosiah
king_mosiah: The new installers work, but I get an this error in the terminal

It's because you're American. I see this error fairly often and it's not really something that's worth worrying about. It's usually not worth trying to eliminate all these sorts of error messages.