It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

150+ deals up to 85% off in the Most Wanted Games Sale

UPDATE: Still on the hunt? The Saints Row and Metro series just got added to our Most Wanted list for up to 75% off, so all you quality-seeking desperados know what to do!

Many out of ten gamers agree: a healthy wishlist is key to a happy lifestyle.
Case in point, we just launched a sale on over one hundred fifty of the most wishlisted games and DLC on GOG.COM.

That's not the only reason to have a wishlist – give a few pointers to your friends, family, and rich internet strangers; accidentally send it to all your contacts (oops); or if you're waiting for the sale, which you are, we'll let you know when it's time to spend some cash (it's now).

So what tops our community's wishlists?
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and expansions hold the #1 spot – grab the complete Game of the Year Edition at 60% off, or continue the story with Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine both 50% off.
A close second – Planescape: Torment – the legendary RPG's Enhanced Edition is 67% off right now. Followed by the genre-defining Baldur's Gate II in third place – now at 75% off the Enhanced Edition.

The GOG.COM community has an excellent taste in games – the Most Wanted Sale also features Divinity: Original Sin 2 (-15%), Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (-35%), Darkest Dungeon (-60%), Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines (-75%), SUPERHOT (-50%), Deus Ex (-85%) and over a hundred more up to 85% off!

Do right by your GOG.COM wishlist with the Most Wanted Games Sale, lasting until April 23, 10 PM UTC.
"We're not mad, we're just rrrrrreeeeaaaalllllyyyy disappointed" is maybe how the majority of users feels.
HereForTheBeer: Tempted to pick up Grim Dawn and Transistor. And Psychonauts.
Grim Dawn is a must!! I am tempted of buying it also, again xD

Really, if you ever liked even a bit Diablo games, this is the best since Diablo 2, imho. At least, the one that made me feel like i was a teenager again and that Diablo 2 was out for the first time.

About the sale...well, i also didn't get any free game. No worries, that's ok, we already got a lof of freebies from past sales. Now, the initial email that i got talking about wishlists was...unclear. My impression was that email had been sent to encourage people to use wishlist more, and that final part made think that maybe they were going to give some free games from people wishlists, maybe a little lottery instead of a unique freebie for all as usually. I entered here during weekend, did my thing updating games, came back on Monday and i saw little more until yesterday that i saw the sale. Ok, i thought, i will come back tomorrow.

Aaand now i discover that GOG sent more than 10k free games keys to people? And that here we have, how many of them? 4? Maybe 5 people that said they got a free game?

It's not that we didn't know anything about free games and we didn't get any, for me the big surprise is knowing that more than 10k people got a freebie but this thread is very, very poor in "Thank you GOG!" like usually when there's a freebie. It's as if the event never happened.

I mean, is like they choose the wrongest way to do this massive giving or what? Where are those active users thanking for the unexpected freebies? Maybe they don't even know yet because they don't read their emails? Maybe they don't use to enter here and read the news section?

I don't know, but it is strange for me to know that they did a massive giving and almost no one is here to tell they got lucky as happens with every other sale with a freebie or when there are piñatas (just look at past giveaways or those big threads about piñatas discussing if they are lucky from what they got, if they don't ever buy lottery, etc)

That makes me wonder if this...secret (??) way to offer giveaways was a good PR decision. Maybe the results are hidden like the giveaway? I don't know, it all just feel like if, instead of seeing and hearing the great Fireworks during and after a massive giveaway (as it should be), somehow the Fireworks got wet and never worked.
Post edited April 18, 2018 by Kakarot96
Breja: 3. Anyone with a half a brain who's been on the internet for more than a day in his life should be able to predict people blowing things out of proportion. No particular PR skillset required, just basic knowledge of how the internet culture works.
_mz_: as sure as eggs is eggs ... amen! :D
Another thought just occurred to me. Why are we holding GOG to a higher standard than the community?

adaliabooks: Wow, haven't really been following this thread but checked in when I saw there was a Blue post...

Seriously, how the hell do you people manage to complain about GOG giving away literally 1000s of expensive games?

I didn't win anything from the main giveaway, though I did win a copy of Baldur's Gate from the associated Gamespot giveaway which I may or may not ever play, but I don't care. It would have been nice if they gifted me something nice off my wishlist but in the time I've been here and active half my library is probably made up of games GOG gave me for free in one form or another.
Very little on my wishlist is in the sale, so that's probably one reason I didn't win anything too as I obviously can't win if nothing that was offered was on my wishlist and I imagine judging from the earlier comments a lot of us are in the same boat.
But unless you assume GOG is down right lying about these being popular wishlisted games (which I don't) then the people who do have them wishlisted are probably the silent majority, the ones who buy a game or two every week or other week on sale so it makes sense they are the ones winning (and frankly it makes much more sense for GOG to reward regular spenders than it does for them to reward people who hang about on the forum or people who happened to be here for a number of years).

I honestly don't see that GOG even miscommunicated the nature of the event, it should have been fairly clear they were never giving away a game from every single user's wishlist, for a number of reasons that would have been impossible. And the actual outcome (random gifts to thousands of people who fit the criteria of being active and had the right games wishlisted) is what any sane person should have expected upon reading the email or tweet.

This is the reason I don't spend much time here any more. GOG owes you nothing more than the service you pay for, which is the ability to download DRM free games. Sure, they can do better in a quite a few areas, but their generosity towards their customers is not an area they struggle in. Be happy if you got a freebie. If you didn't then wait 6 weeks and they will probably be giving out some more, or you know, buy the game you want.
They won't keep giving out games if it keeps hurting them.

zlaywal: "We're not mad, we're just rrrrrreeeeaaaalllllyyyy disappointed" is maybe how the majority of users feels.
https://youtu.be/Aly3SqrfK7g

HereForTheBeer: Tempted to pick up Grim Dawn and Transistor. And Psychonauts.
Kakarot96: Grim Dawn is a must!! I am tempted of buying it also, again xD

Really, if you ever liked even a bit Diablo games, this is the best since Diablo 2, imho. At least, the one that made me feel like i was a teenager again and that Diablo 2 was out for the first time.

About the sale...well, i also didn't get any free game. No worries, that's ok, we already got a lof of freebies from past sales. Now, the initial email that i got talking about wishlists was...unclear. My impression was that email had been sent to encourage people to use wishlist more, and that final part made think that maybe they were going to give some free games from people wishlists, maybe a little lottery instead of a unique freebie for all as usually. I entered here during weekend, did my thing updating games, came back on Monday and i saw little more until yesterday that i saw the sale. Ok, i thought, i will come back tomorrow.

Aaand now i discover that GOG sent more than 10k free games keys to people? And that here we have, how many of them? 4? Maybe 5 people that said they got a free game?

It's not that we didn't know anything about free games and we didn't get any, for me the big surprise is knowing that more than 10k people got a freebie but this thread is very, very poor in "Thank you GOG!" like usually when there's a freebie. It's as if the event never happened.

I mean, is like they choose the wrongest way to do this massive giving or what? Where are those active users thanking for the unexpected freebies? Maybe they don't even know yet because they don't read their emails? Maybe they don't use to enter here and read the news section?

I don't know, but it is strange for me to know that they did a massive giving and almost no one is here to tell they got lucky as happens with every other sale with a freebie or when there are piñatas (just look at past giveaways or those big threads about piñatas discussing if they are lucky from what they got, if they don't ever buy lottery, etc)

That makes me wonder if this...secret (??) way to offer giveaways was a good PR decision. Maybe the results are hidden like the giveaway? I don't know, it all just feel like if, instead of seeing and hearing the great Fireworks during and after a massive giveaway (as it should be), somehow the Fireworks got wet and never worked.
In a weird way, expecting thanks cheapens a giveaway, and it also cheapens the "thank you." Instead of giving something to be nice, and someone saying something nice to show appreciation, it becomes the most shallow and lame contract of someone doing something nice, and then someone simply paying an obligation. For this reason, it kind of bothers me when parents demand children thank someone. The child should understand and do so automatically if the honestly appreciate something. But, then again, i'm not a parent, so I can't really speak from experience. That said, the whining is straight up uncalled for and disrespectful.

Story time

I know your average shmuck anymore doesn't believe, but even an atheist should understand the philosophical standpoint of Jesus' teachings. It is precisely what we're seeing unfolding here. I don't think GOG really did it for PR, 'cause there's so much easier stuff that would've been far more effective. Let's suggest that GOG knowingly set up this terrible failure: what could they have gained from it? The real kicker? The blue just admitted that some of the games gifted weren't even from the sale. Why were they not on the sale? Because they couldn't strike a deal. I'm sure a deal would've been harder to strike to give away a free copy. This means GOG paid the dev their cut for our free game. GOG actually sacrificed more than just a sale: they took profits and decided to give us a nice little gift. Usually the giveaways get some sort of agreement with the dev or something like that. GOG was much more limited this time, compared to previous giveaways, because the devs still wanted money for the games that were given away, so GOG had to pay for it. Unless the devs only get a dollar, that means GOG spent over $10k ($100k if they paid each dev 10 bucks, which we know it was more than that) to do something nice for us, and we have people complaining that it's not fair that they didn't get in on the cut, and GOG did it to be mean, because if they think that GOG foresaw the PR blunder, then they believe gog also could not have benefitted from this, therefore GOG spent thousands just for the sake of controversy. Am I the only one that sees how incredibly stupid that is? If you pay attention to how GOG was founded and why, the whole thing makes perfect sense. If you don't know the history (which is available to everyone), none of this makes sense.
Post edited April 18, 2018 by kohlrak
adaliabooks: (...) GOG owes you nothing more than the service you pay for, which is the ability to download DRM free games. Sure, they can do better in a quite a few areas, but their generosity towards their customers is not an area they struggle.
Please, allow me to add some emphasis on this sentence. ;)
high rated
_mz_: as sure as eggs is eggs ... amen! :D
kohlrak: Another thought just occurred to me. Why are we holding GOG to a higher standard than the community?
I can't believe this even needs to be explained, but very well: because the "community" is a bunch of random people on the internet and "GOG" is a business employing selected professionals.

Again (beceause I see even very simple things are hard to understand sometimes) I'm not angry or even disappointed in the slightest with this giveaway. Quite the contrary, I think it's great they gave away so many games, and used the wishlists to make sure it's games people wanted.

I'm just saying that it was very poorly communicated up front, and GOG being surprised or disappointed with the community's reaction is like leaving a kid alone at home with a box of paints and some paper to entertain himself with, and being surprised upon return to find that the paper is the only unpainted surface in the entire house. Yes, you had the best of intentions, no you're not the one who painted the walls and the cat red, but you really should have known better.
Post edited April 18, 2018 by Breja
kohlrak: In a weird way, expecting thanks cheapens a giveaway, and it also cheapens the "thank you." Instead of giving something to be nice, and someone saying something nice to show appreciation, it becomes the most shallow and lame contract of someone doing something nice, and then someone simply paying an obligation. For this reason, it kind of bothers me when parents demand children thank someone. The child should understand and do so automatically if the honestly appreciate something. But, then again, i'm not a parent, so I can't really speak from experience. That said, the whining is straight up uncalled for and disrespectful.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+20%3A1-16&version=NKJV

I know your average shmuck anymore doesn't believe, but even an atheist should understand the philosophical standpoint of Jesus' teachings. It is precisely what we're seeing unfolding here. I don't think GOG really did it for PR, 'cause there's so much easier stuff that would've been far more effective. Let's suggest that GOG knowingly set up this terrible failure: what could they have gained from it? The real kicker? The blue just admitted that some of the games gifted weren't even from the sale. Why were they not on the sale? Because they couldn't strike a deal. I'm sure a deal would've been harder to strike to give away a free copy. This means GOG paid the dev their cut for our free game. GOG actually sacrificed more than just a sale: they took profits and decided to give us a nice little gift. Usually the giveaways get some sort of agreement with the dev or something like that. GOG was much more limited this time, compared to previous giveaways, because the devs still wanted money for the games that were given away, so GOG had to pay for it. Unless the devs only get a dollar, that means GOG spent over $10k ($100k if they paid each dev 10 bucks, which we know it was more than that) to do something nice for us, and we have people complaining that it's not fair that they didn't get in on the cut, and GOG did it to be mean, because if they think that GOG foresaw the PR blunder, then they believe gog also could not have benefitted from this, therefore GOG spent thousands just for the sake of controversy. Am I the only one that sees how incredibly stupid that is? If you pay attention to how GOG was founded and why, the whole thing makes perfect sense. If you don't know the history (which is available to everyone), none of this makes sense.
I am maybe judging or even given any opinion about if giving or not thanks to this gifts is obliged, correct, good or wrong? Nope, not at all.

I am not entering what it is a moral question and not related with anything i literally said. I just said that it's weird and very different from any other past giveaway, and it feels strange so i wonder if it has been a bad decision or implementation because, even after what you said, i still think this kind of event and big giveaways should be like fireworks for all to see. IMO, it's not about being humble, not expecting thanks or whatever, but about image, visibility, reputation and public relations (for us, for sector's magazines to see and comment, for potential new customers, etc)

Yes, thread has complaints but not every one of those are about not getting a free game, but about the quality of the sale and the way this has been managed and communicated as a PR event (something that elcook mentions in his last post to clarify things)

As i said at the beginning of my post, I do not share any anger some people (very few, in fact, if you read all the thread) seem to have about not getting a free game, but i do share other opinions about this whole somewhat strange event and i can't see why saying what you think, while being respectful as you say it, is wrong. Being harsh or, yes, ungrateful? Then yes, i agree, that's uncalled and disrespecful.

Finally, and saying this also without any anger, uncalled and disrespectful has been your Bible citation (as if i were a child who share your beliefs and need to be educated by you), that "i know your average shmuck" totally out of place and like if you were morally superior to others here (and what if i were an atheist? then i deserve your "lessons" because you don't respect that way to think?), the "I am the only one that sees how incredibly stupid that is?" as if you were also intellectually superior and, of course, the final "If you don't know the history (which is available to everyone)" that seems to say that you also feel more learned than others who are also, it seems, lazy or indolent for not knowing which is available to everyone? Oh, and also you prejudge what i know or i don't know.

Really, take a breath and think about what you are writing. I was not being disrespectful to anyone and of course not to you, but you have been. Just let's continue with mutual respect, please.
Post edited April 18, 2018 by Kakarot96
The promotion was poorly thought out from the start. By design, most people get nothing, which doesn't feel great, particularly when some others do indeed get something for free at the same time.

It could have actually worked had there been some interactivity element to it. For example, let people roll the dice: once per every active user, and then an extra chance for each purchase in the past month or so. Afterwards, the user is immediately told whether they got anything or not.

But at the very least, the terms should have been communicated more clearly. The way it turned out, it seems GoG would have been better off not running it at all, instead of spending money and effort on alienating much of the user base.

On the other hand, I note that people are very quick to assume ill will and some ulterior motives. I don't think it's warranted either. Do not assume malice in what is adequately explained by incompetence.
No man, the best image reaction to this whole thing for me is the Alonzo Mourning face, don't think any of us dealing it with childlike tantrum portrayed.
kohlrak: In a weird way, expecting thanks cheapens a giveaway, and it also cheapens the "thank you." Instead of giving something to be nice, and someone saying something nice to show appreciation, it becomes the most shallow and lame contract of someone doing something nice, and then someone simply paying an obligation. For this reason, it kind of bothers me when parents demand children thank someone. The child should understand and do so automatically if the honestly appreciate something. But, then again, i'm not a parent, so I can't really speak from experience. That said, the whining is straight up uncalled for and disrespectful.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+20%3A1-16&version=NKJV

Kakarot96: I am maybe judging or even given any opinion about if giving or not thanks to this gifts is obliged, correct, good or wrong? Nope, not at all.

I am not entering what it is a moral question and not related with anything i literally said. I just said that it's weird and very different from any other past giveaway, and it feels strange so i wonder if it has been a bad decision or implementation because, even after what you said, i still think this kind of event and big giveaways should be like fireworks for all to see. IMO, it's not about being humble, not expecting thanks or whatever, but about image, visibility, reputation and public relations (for us, for sector's magazines to see and comment, for potential new customers, etc)
Just going into it to be safe, especially given the opportunity presented by a higher than usual quality statement that you provided.
Yes, thread has complaints but not every one of those are about not getting a free game, but about the quality of the sale and the way this has been managed and communicated as a PR event (something that elcook mentions in his last post to clarify things)
The communication about this event is all about people "getting their hopes up for nothing." In other words, people are sore about not getting a game, but are trying to strawman themselves, in a sense, to hide this. GOG was quite clear as it was. As for the sale, well, GOG has been vocally clear about that as well. Sure, the sale is a bit... derpy. It's lackluster, but the whole thing was, even the PR email was lackluster. It was more like "PSA, we have a wishlist feature, and we're going to do something cool with it."
As i said at the beginning of my post, I do not share any anger some people (very few, in fact, if you read all the thread) seem to have about not getting a free game, but i do share other opinions about this whole somewhat strange event and i can't see why saying what you think, while being respectful as you say it, is wrong. Being harsh or, yes, ungrateful? Then yes, i agree, that's uncalled and disrespecful.
That's the thing, this had to be the most anti-climatic PR stunt ever, if it was one. GOG rarely gives fancy emails out like that, and it was almost like they were saying "btw, since you guys signed up for the secret email service, we're going to tell you a nice little secret." Then i heard it was on twitter, too, but I don't use twitter. It wasn't on the main site: the primary venue for PR stunts. It was almost like they were saying "hey, you, people who've been with us for a while, we're having a secret lottery, so use your wishlist feature if you haven't, yet, so we know what to give out as prizes." Otherwise, the whole sale is about as boring as a weekly sale.
Finally, and saying this also without any anger, uncalled and disrespectful has been your Bible citation (as if i were a child who share your beliefs and need to be educated by you), that "i know your average shmuck" totally out of place and like if you were morally superior to others here (and what if i were an atheist? then i deserve your "lessons" because you don't respect that way to think?), the "I am the only one that sees how incredibly stupid that is?" as if you were also intellectually superior and, of course, the final "If you don't know the history (which is available to everyone)" that seems to say that you also feel more learned than others who are also, it seems, lazy or indolent for not knowing which is available to everyone? Oh, and also you prejudge what i know or i don't know.

Really, take a breath and think about what you are writing. I was not being disrespectful to anyone and of course not to you, but you have been. Just let this keep this thread on with mutual respect, please.
If you run outside in the rain and get wet and then complain about it, i'm inclined to inform you of umbrellas and raincoats, because for some unknown reason you presumably were unaware. Otherwise, why would you throw a fit about something that you did to yourself? This is what's going on, here: people hyped this up for no reason then wondered why it didn't turn out as they planned. The community did this to themselves.

kohlrak: Another thought just occurred to me. Why are we holding GOG to a higher standard than the community?
Breja: I can't believe this even needs to be explained, but very well: because the "community" is a bunch of random people on the internet and "GOG" is a business employing selected professionals.

Again (beceause I see even very simple things are hard to understand sometimes) I'm not angry or even disappointed in the slightest with this giveaway. Quite the contrary, I think it's great they gave away so many games, and used the wishlists to make sure it's games people wanted.

I'm just saying that it was very poorly communicated up front, and GOG being surprised or disappointed with the community's reaction is like leaving a kid alone at home with a box of paints and some paper to entertain himself with, and being surprised upon return to find that the paper is the only unpainted surface in the entire house. Yes, you had the best of intentions, no you're not the one who painted the walls and the cat red, but you really should have known better.
Gog isn't the one complaining: the community is. GOG is also a small business. The community warned itself against itself.

_P136_: The promotion was poorly thought out from the start. By design, most people get nothing, which doesn't feel great, particularly when some others do indeed get something for free at the same time.

It could have actually worked had there been some interactivity element to it. For example, let people roll the dice: once per every active user, and then an extra chance for each purchase in the past month or so. Afterwards, the user is immediately told whether they got anything or not.

But at the very least, the terms should have been communicated more clearly. The way it turned out, it seems GoG would have been better off not running it at all, instead of spending money and effort on alienating much of the user base.

On the other hand, I note that people are very quick to assume ill will and some ulterior motives. I don't think it's warranted either. Do not assume malice in what is adequately explained by incompetence.
That's the thing, though. If this was a PR stunt, they should've done a better job of even presenting it as one. They didn't. The website is the primary place for PR stunts, and that's not where people heard of this. It was brought up in the more obscure channels, like the optional email newsletter.
adaliabooks: [...]
Seriously, how the hell do you people manage to complain about GOG giving away literally 1000s of expensive games?
[...]
Welcome to gOg !
adaliabooks: [...]
[...]
amok: Welcome to gOg !
Well, the problem are with product marketing.

You mafe happy 10K users, but unhappy much more.
* Initiative miss comunicates only on Twitter
* Mysterious active criteria
* Unknown number of give away
* Unknown games gifted

While the idea behind it was cool amd generous, has been carried out really bad and prone to criticism.

While I can t care lessa about it, I can easily see while people are spoiled.
amok: Welcome to gOg !
OldOldGamer: Well, the problem are with product marketing.

You mafe happy 10K users, but unhappy much more.
* Initiative miss comunicates only on Twitter
* Mysterious active criteria
* Unknown number of give away
* Unknown games gifted

While the idea behind it was cool amd generous, has been carried out really bad and prone to criticism.

While I can t care lessa about it, I can easily see while people are spoiled.
All I want to say on that matter is:

Congratulations to those who won the lottery, and thanks to gOg for providing the opportunity, even though I did not win.
When you are in a business, what you do is as imoortant as how you do.

Sorry if you feel bad about it.
adaliabooks:
You ever play D&D and eventually you encounter "that guy" (usually a few of them). You know, the one who insists that the spell Jump says "Jump ON something 20 feet away" and then proceeds to argue that the floor on the other side of the wall is still ON the same floor. And the spell never says you can't jump through something.

And everyone at the table rolls their eyes and knows this guy wants to teleport through a wall using Jump, except for the guy who is insisting he doesn't, he technically is jumping ON THE SAME FLOOR THAT'S TWENTY FEET AWAY, just like the spell "technically" says. And he totally ruins the game and bogs it down with something everyone knows is pretty obvious.

I think we have a lot of that guy here.
Syberia 3

IDK I loved 1 and 2was great but these bad reviews are putting me off 3. Also the ending to 2 was quitefinalin my opinion.