It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Modding is...
It's one of the things that defines PC gaming – keeping our favorite games alive (and better!), bringing us together as a community, a way to explore our passions, sometimes an open door into the industry of our dreams.

So it only stands to reason that Nexus Mods – the biggest, most active modding network out there right now – has a very special place in our hearts… The Nexus Mods site has just undergone a huge redesign and we took the occasion to say thanks to the PC gaming community together!
Check out the letter to the community below, and drop by /r/PCMasterRace to enter the massive Game & Gear giveaway where you can win from among $3,000 worth of GOG.com games, as well as hardware and gear from MSI and CORSAIR!

One more thing, from all of us to you: stay great, stay passionate, and keep modding on! <3

A message from Nexus Mods

In celebration of our new site design, we have teamed up with GOG.com, MSI, Corsair, and PCMasterRace to share our love for PC gaming worldwide through a massive giveaway! Before we get into the juicy details though, I wanted to take a quick trip down memory lane and look at some of the previous designs we've used at Nexus Mods before reaching this point.

See the news for more

Throughout all the various names and aesthetics of this site, our community has always been a driving force in our success. It is your passion and dedication that keeps us going and allows us to continue growing. Which brings me to the point of this little stroll down memory lane!

As I mentioned at the start, we have joined forces with some great companies in the gaming world to bring you a chance to win some incredible loot. We feel we've picked companies that shared a similar mindset to our own.

The folks over at GOG.com were immediately on board with the cooperation. Modding wouldn't be possible without the freedom to do what you want with the games you own, and it's a great way to get involved and explore your passion for gaming. These are ideas both GOG and Nexus Mods very firmly believe in.

Similarly, CORSAIR and MSI were both excited to work with us and have made offerings that are more than generous. CORSAIR is offering a full peripheral set to bring glory to your gaming setup, and MSI wants to help bring your system into the modern age with a few serious hardware upgrades.

Finally, we have decided to host the event on the PCMasterRace subreddit to reach an even bigger audience of PC gaming enthusiasts. Modding is a hobby with its roots dating back to some of the earliest PC games. While the use of mods has recently opened up to other platforms, on no other platform can you dig into a game's engine and bend it to your will like you can on the PC, and the PCMasterRace subreddit is chock full of posts that elevate our favorite platform.

This is more than just a celebration of our new design. It is a celebration of modding and PC gaming as well!

Thank you for all your support over the years. We look forward to providing a place to share and discuss mods for many more years to come. Head on over and enter the contest for your shot at some glorious prizes!
Post edited November 27, 2017 by Konrad
SSolomon: Not into these social media circle jerks. Fun for the people that are, I guess.
Just to clarify... Reddit is not social media. It's about as social media as GOG's forums are...
nightcraw1er.488: I think you will find the term addon is there to show a mod based on another work, there are quite a few examples of this (in fact almost all elder scrolls use obse so an add-on of another mod. That being said for a while now nexus have had a pop up with dependancies, maybe something like that is in the works for moddb, you would have to ask them.
Addons usually meant just that, an addon to the game like new weapons or vehicles.

The comment posted refers to an older version of the mod, as indicated by the latest file provided being v2 rather than v1.2, no point commenting on old information.
No he's referring to the same mod that's needed to get both his old and new mod to work.

Now I know the site can do with some work, and it's not always easy to setup these thngs, but it is a free site where people post free content, so you can't really expect the same level as a commercial venture, if you want that to use steam workshop and pay £10 for your mod and still get no support or help. Heck 10 years back you would have been hex editing files and such like to do modding!
It depends on the game. Most of the time it was as simple as copying a folder.
Time and effort aren't free and the old sites from 10,15 years ago were just as free too.

My complaints about this nonsense are for everywhere this happens. I was looking through moddb when these problems presented themselves so it was easy to make the point using that site.
Gog themselves could do their bit to help with these problems like having accurate file versions and listing the dependencies the games need as a lot of the indie ones want microsoft junk to work.
nvali: I agree; modding is a great way to value and work upon great products, something unique to gaming. That's why it would be great to see direct modding support on GoG Galaxy, similar to Steam's Workshop. Perhaps Nexus could be part of it.
This, a thousand times this.
nvali: I agree; modding is a great way to value and work upon great products, something unique to gaming. That's why it would be great to see direct modding support on GoG Galaxy, similar to Steam's Workshop. Perhaps Nexus could be part of it.
Eh... Do we really need it?

Part of the reason I don´t like Steam Workshop is if you don´t own the game on Steam, you can´t use it. And if the mod´s creator won´t upload it to moddb or some such site, you´re out of luck (and they are usually late with updates anywhere else except workshop).
Not to mention that in the long run it would probably mean they would try to monetize the mods, to be able able to pay for the servers, etc. just like Bethesda did (yes, of course and then you gonna say they´re not mods - yeah, sure ;))

THAT´S the reason why I love Moddb.com (or Nexus) - it´s open to everyone, no matter what distributor you have the game from, you are able to download them and install them.

Tying them up with a specific distributor is very convenient for one part of the population, meanwhile unusable for all others.
That´s not a good solution.
Post edited November 30, 2017 by Tarhiel
Tarhiel: Eh... Do we really need it?

Part of the reason I don´t like Steam Workshop is if you don´t own the game on Steam, you can´t use it. And if the mod´s creator won´t upload it to moddb or some such site, you´re out of luck (and they are usually late with updates anywhere else except workshop).
Not to mention that in the long run it would probably mean they would try to monetize the mods, to be able able to pay for the servers, etc. just like Bethesda did (yes, of course and then you gonna say they´re not mods - yeah, sure ;))

THAT´S the reason why I love Moddb.com (or Nexus) - it´s open to everyone, no matter what distributor you have the game from, you are able to download them and install them.

Tying them up with a specific distributor is very convenient for one part of the population, meanwhile unusable for all others.
Direct mod support makes life easier for those who do own the games on Steam/GoG while taking nothing from those who prefer the more hands-on approach of third party sites.

I haven't used moddb in years. Almost everything i play is on Steam/GoG/Origin. Right now i'm chilling in Total War Attila with about 10 mods that improved the graphics and AI.
I installed them all in less than 10 minutes, including the time it took to find them.
HereForTheBeer: Oof!

Thankfully the mod scene seems to have something for everyone. Big, small, minor playability tweaks, or complete makeovers in a different universe. And thank goodness for NexusMods and ModDB these days, and places like FilePlanet years ago.
Spectre: The mod scene and modDB is a mess with lots of games.

No information on install instructions,the versions needed, any other files needed to get the mod to work. Search features which aren't working properly either due to it's engine or the users sticking files in the wrong places.
Glad to see somone thinking like me. That's why I created the Kırmızı Perfect:
https://www.kirmiziperfect.com

To end that chaos and give a structure to mods. In fact KP is more like GOG than Nexus or other sites. Giving complete collections for mods with all their extras and guides and presented in a very nice way. I have written guides like this:

https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/installing-best-mods-for-the-witcher-1-guide/

Have a nice summary at the start of the mods for which version it works, language support etc like this: (Also look at the guides list for this mod at the "Guides" tab)
https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/mount-blade-warband-mods/light-and-darkness-heroes-of-calradia/

And on the right panel there is very nice filter system.

KP just needs more support. Until now I done everything myself but with support we can complete all mods from past in a great way like GOG collects old games, KP also collects old mods in a complete way.

I just opened a Patreon page:
https://www.patreon.com/kirmiziperfect
Post edited November 30, 2017 by grinninglich
Tarhiel: Eh... Do we really need it?

nvali: Direct mod support makes life easier for those who do own the games on Steam/GoG while taking nothing from those who prefer the more hands-on approach of third party sites.

I haven't used moddb in years. Almost everything i play is on Steam/GoG/Origin. Right now i'm chilling in Total War Attila with about 10 mods that improved the graphics and AI.
I installed them all in less than 10 minutes, including the time it took to find them.
As I said, if the mod´s creator won´t upload it to moddb or some such site, you´re out of luck (and they are usually late with updates anywhere else except workshop).

So I wouldn´t say that it doesn´t take away nothing from those who prefer the more hands-on approach of third party sites.

I haven´t used Steam Workshop once, never missed it, because everything I need I have found on the sites like Moddb/Nexus, which is there for everyone, not just users of one digital distribution.

That´s my gripe with this solution.
Tarhiel: As I said, if the mod´s creator won´t upload it to moddb or some such site, you´re out of luck (and they are usually late with updates anywhere else except workshop).

So I wouldn´t say that it doesn´t take away nothing from those who prefer the more hands-on approach of third party sites.

I haven´t used Steam Workshop once, never missed it, because everything I need I have found on the sites like Moddb/Nexus, which is there for everyone, not just users of one digital distribution.

Who is this 'everyone'? Every PC game, in this day and age, is connected to digital distribution, except the ones that aren't available for purchase online (meaning old games or games stuck in licensing hell), which will maintain all their mods on sites like moddb anyway.

If every digital distribution would (hypothetically) implement direct mod support, sites like moddb would still be used by moders who want as much coverage as possible and for games not buyable online out of various reasons (see above.).

The only major community of non-users of digital distribution are pirates, who's opinion on the situation should count for little, no matter their reasons for pirating games.
nvali: Who is this 'everyone'? Every PC game, in this day and age, is connected to digital distribution, except the ones that aren't available for purchase online (meaning old games or games stuck in licensing hell), which will maintain all their mods on sites like moddb anyway.

If every digital distribution would (hypothetically) implement direct mod support, sites like moddb would still be used by moders who want as much coverage as possible and for games not buyable online out of various reasons (see above.).

The only major community of non-users of digital distribution are pirates, who's opinion on the situation should count for little, no matter their reasons for pirating games.
If you own the Steam version of a game and mod it, you're not uploading that mod to GOG's service, and the same the other way around. If everyone uploaded their mods to the Nexus or ModDB or similar, the mods would be available to GOG and Steam players both, as well as those with retail copies or copies from, say, HumbleBundle. Drives me goddamn insane when I find a reference to a mod I want on the Nexus, and then find out it's Steam workshop only and I can't access it. The very LAST thing we need is to exacerbate this. In addition, of course Steam is going to do consumer-unfriendly crap like splitting player bases to encourage people to buy from them. The reason I'm here is because GOG doesn't.

Now, of course, if the servers were shared, that would be a different story...but what do you think the odds would be of that happening? I'd say we have two chances: slim and fat.
Post edited November 30, 2017 by Jemolk
Got in just for that nice KB and mouse. Precise environment is more important than proper gaming rig right now. ;p
Jemolk: Now, of course, if the servers were shared, that would be a different story...but what do you think the odds would be of that happening? I'd say we have two chances: slim and fat.
Now that is a great idea. A world-wide shared modding service between Steam and GoG (and maybe even the lesser clients like Origin and Uplay)).

Of course Steam wouldn't do it willingly, but perhaps, when their popularity drops low enough after all the sewage in the releases, they'll consider this. If negociated well and with shared expenses, we might get to see this one day.

Please make a note, GoG.
Tighter integration with Nexus, yes. Love both of you.
Tarhiel: As I said, if the mod´s creator won´t upload it to moddb or some such site, you´re out of luck (and they are usually late with updates anywhere else except workshop).

nvali: Who is this 'everyone'? Every PC game, in this day and age, is connected to digital distribution, except the ones that aren't available for purchase online (meaning old games or games stuck in licensing hell), which will maintain all their mods on sites like moddb anyway.

'Who is this 'everyone'?'

Every PC gamer, who´s interested in having their game modded, regardless of where they obtain the game.

What you´ve just used is an universalistic argument - you are saying that since every game is connected to digital distribution nowadays, if every digital distribution would implement mod support, then this would be the best model.

That premise falls apart in two places:

- every game is connected to digital distribution nowadays - You actually noticed this yourself by saying that old games would be left out of equation. Not only old games, but also physical copies of many games (regardless of whether it is possible to obtain them digitally or not) would. Not to mention this very site is based on foundation of giving old games back to circulation (meaning selling) - old games, which many of their right holders didn´t believe to be interesting anymore (either to them or players - take note of NightDive Studios´s struggle to obtain NOLF rights). These games wouldn´t be playable anymore and would be slowly lost in time (like tears in rain), if an avid community wouldn´t make unofficial patches/mods, which many time involved dubbing into "pirate" practices (reverse engineering, etc...) - so I wouldn´t condone pirates and their opinions so flatly.

- if every digital distribution would implement mod support - that´s the point, they won´t, because for many of them it´s not feasible (too expensive). There are many digital distributions - Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle, GreenMan Gaming, etc... if every single one of them had their own solution to mod support, modding would become scattered and hard to update (imagine you would want your mod be present on all the sites, where given game is being sold - again, that would lead to delays in updates of your mod and some distributions would be preferred before others - most probably Steam and GOG).

Now wouldn´t it be better if there would be place, where mods would be available for everyone, and not just for some users? I don´t know, places like moddb or Nexus?

Please note, that Bethesda DOES try to monetize their mods, which was predicted immediately after they announced they want their own mod place.
And since gamers went bonkers over this, and rightfully so, they said it´s not actually mods they´re paying for.
What´s gonna stop them from putting a small legal notice to their EULA next time of exclusivity for a certain time for mods hosted on their servers or banning outright putting it anywhere else, unless the creators wanna get paid?
Take note of that, because that´s the most probable path it will go, if everybody would like to have their own little place full of mods.

The mod community grew because it is free - and I would like it to stay that way.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by Tarhiel
I have no interest in any of the games on the list and the only piece of hardware that's even vaguely useful to me would be the GPU so I will pass on entering the contest and let other people win the prizes :)

I do love Nexus Mods and the way they support the mod community for the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series though.
Anything that gives more exposure to the vast world of PC game mods (and to those companies that remain supportive of mods for their games) is a good thing IMO.
Over 10000 comments in that Reddit post. If only a fraction of those decide to check GOG, it will have been a successful campaign.

On the other hand, the odds of winning something are not that great.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by Caesar.