It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Transform, expand, and customize these modern classics.

Few games would dream to match the ridiculous variety and accessibility of mods that these three games can provide. The sheer volume of what's available online is staggering and can be rather overwhelming for someone who's not willing to spend days figuring out what to use and how.

Luckily, our very own tinkerer extraordinaire has prepared this comprehensive guide on how to get started and which projects to focus on, depending on your needs and your will to experiment.
The floor is yours, Thiev.

Finally, we've made it! <span class="bold">Fallout 3</span>, <span class="bold">New Vegas</span>, and <span class="bold">TES IV: Oblivion</span> are here on GOG.com and you can't wait to start messing with them. Everything you'll need can be found in the enormous catalog that the fine folk over at Nexus Mods have put together. Fun fact: that place was originally called The Elder Scrolls Nexus, and it mostly hosted Morrowind and Oblivion projects.

However, before you even look at a single mod out there, be sure that you are familiar with modding tools and the process overall. There are excellent guides to be found and we strongly suggest that you go through them at least once (<span class="bold">Fallout 3 example</span>, <span class="bold">Oblivion example</span>, <span class="bold">Wrye Bash guide</span>). Now that you know what NMM, FOMM, FOMOD, OMOD and BAIN stand for, you are ready to proceed into the fun part!

Let’s start with the ESSENTIALS.
For all three games, make sure to grab a corresponding Script Extender - <span class="bold">OBSE</span>, <span class="bold">FOSE</span> or <span class="bold">NVSE</span>. These little pieces of hard coding and magic are absolutely essential for some more advanced plugins out there. For a little bit more stability, be sure to read about and grab ENBoost CTD / Memory patch (<span class="bold">TES4</span>, <span class="bold">FO3</span>, <span class="bold">FNV</span>) as well as Stutter Remover plugins (<span class="bold">TES4</span>, <span class="bold">FO3</span>, <span class="bold">FNV</span>).

Next come the Unofficial Patches.
Over the years, the games' dedicated community has done an excellent job of ironing out the bugs and significantly improving the overall experience. Here's the whole set for Oblivion (<span class="bold">#1</span>, <span class="bold">#2</span>, <span class="bold">#3</span>), the <span class="bold">UPDATED Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch</span> and the <span class="bold">Yukichigai Unofficial Patch</span> for New Vegas.

With those pesky bugs out of the way, perhaps it's now time to tweak the original interface a bit if you find the original one inconvenient. <span class="bold">DarNified UI</span> and Vanilla UI Plus (<span class="bold">FO3</span> / <span class="bold">FNV</span>) are excellent candidates for this, so be sure to check them out first. If you're planning on fiddling with the interface of both Fallout games or having more mods with custom menu functions, start with UIO - User Interface Organizer (<span class="bold">FO3</span> / <span class="bold">FNV</span>) and go from there.

Now time for some visual upgrades.
Oblivion is the oldest of the three, so best to start there. What you need is a graphics extender that overcomes the limitations of the time, adds some snazzy shaders, and tops it off with a healthy serving of visual effects. Don't need to take our word for it, just go to the <span class="bold">Oblivion Reloaded</span> page and check out the screens. Then grab the mod. Preferably together with <span class="bold">Really AEVWD</span> to make gazing at objects far away in the horizon less awkward.

Want some more eye-candy? There are texture packs for everything out here (like rocks, yes rocks). It’s always a matter of taste, but we suggest you check out <span class="bold">Qarl's Texture Pack III Redimized</span> for Oblivion, <span class="bold">NMCs Texture Pack for FO3</span> or <span class="bold">POCO BUENO Texture Pack</span> for New Vegas.

If you want to take things a little further in the visual makeover department, you can. For example, before you can get lost in the world of Oblivion, you might want to make its rich environments even richer. That’s where <span class="bold">Unique Landscapes Compilation</span>, <span class="bold">Better Cities</span> and <span class="bold">Weather - All Natural</span> come in.

Are you more into the Capital Wasteland of Fallout 3? Check out <span class="bold">DCInteriors Project</span>, <span class="bold">Fallout Street Lights</span> (and it’s <span class="bold">Wasteland counterpart</span>) or <span class="bold">Fellout</span>, instead. And while you're at it, grab <span class="bold">GNR Enhanced</span> - you'll be thankful for all these extra radio tracks during the countless hours of exploration ahead of you.

Perhaps you are in the mood for a trip under the scorching sun of the Mojave Desert. Then grab <span class="bold">New Vegas Restoration</span>, <span class="bold">NVInteriors Project </span> or <span class="bold">New Vegas Uncut - Freeside Open</span>.
Not everyone knows this, but all the quest names in Fallout New Vegas are based on old songs. Rumor has it that there is a mod floating about called Secret Stash, and it adds all those missing songs and more to the New Vegas Radio. Unfortunately, it is no longer available for official download, but anyone resourceful enough to survive the Wasteland will surely be able to dig something up.

Last but not least, an honorary mention should be made of <span class="bold">Tale of the Two Wastelands</span>, despite it still being in its alpha stage. It's a huge undertaking, aiming to bring both Fallout games into a single playable universe. Keep in mind, this mod is not compatible with the GOG version of the game yet, but it will be very soon.

Of course, this is hardly a complete list of all the quality mods that are floating out there. A good way to discover what's on offer is to head over to Nexus Mods and check the TOP lists for all three games: <span class="bold">Oblivion</span>, <span class="bold">Fallout 3</span> and <span class="bold">New Vegas</span>. Texture mods, lightning mods, weather mods, silly mods - with a bit of searching you will come across things you never knew you wanted added to your game and quite a few things you'll wish you could unsee.

Happy Modding!
Post edited June 02, 2017 by maladr0Id
paladin181: snip
That's a good suggestion, thanks. But merging mods doesn't have that much to do with my post, I think. All my post was about is that the following is not true: "if the uninstalled mod had file conflicts with another mod, files are already overwritten and you need to uninstall both and reinstalll the one you want to keep. "
Are you sure you replied to the correct comment? This was meant to be about for example a texture file being overwritten by another one and not about two esps making changes to the same object. :)
paladin181: snip
0Grapher: That's a good suggestion, thanks. But merging mods doesn't have that much to do with my post, I think. All my post was about is that the following is not true: "if the uninstalled mod had file conflicts with another mod, files are already overwritten and you need to uninstall both and reinstalll the one you want to keep. "
Are you sure you replied to the correct comment? This was meant to be about for example a texture file being overwritten by another one and not about two esps making changes to the same object. :)
I see that. Still good advice. ;)
0Grapher: I see why you think that but that isn't correct. What I remembered was that at least Nexus Mod Manager adds the overwritten files in again.
You are right, I just sort of assumed they wouldn't go THAT far, shows work of love and attention to detail it that is true. I don't use nmm, and i'm not sure if obmm does that, it just asks to overwrite without any indication it's willing to make a backup and restore it on uninstall. Maybe I should try someday, but my favorite mod list is pretty stable, and overwritten files is mainly a problem with texture packs which I don't use.
paladin181: I see that. Still good advice. ;)
Agreed :D
huan: snip
Yes, I also think that some messages you get are not very informative. Just like that initial error message I got. Was that because I wanted to add a single .txt file, which would not be a mod file at all? NMM could have simply told me that it hadn't found any mod files.
Even though I really appreciate the work that has been put into these programs, I still think that this backing-up behavior is an essential function and should be expected of such a widely used program. If it hadn't been implemented, that would be quite an oversight, in my humble opinion.
Hi, I'm the author of Vanilla UI Plus and I was really excited to see my mod mentioned in this guide. Thanks!

The only addition I would make to the guide is NVAC (nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635). This is an essential anti-crash fix that works far better than ENB and supports all three games, despite being available at a New Vegas space only.

NVAC is so good that would prevent bugs during early development of VUI+ from crashing the game, so when users started reporting them I couldn't reproduce them, until I removed it!
Post edited July 04, 2017 by Axonis
IronArcturus: Is there an alternative to nexusmods.com to download the Oblivion/Fallout 3 patches? Nexusmods is giving me an error saying, "You need to be a member and logged in to download files larger than 2Mb in size." One shouldn't have to create an account to download a simple mod or patch.
Yes it's called trawling the net

LOOK WHAT I FOUND

Adds apple and orange trees around Cyrodiil. These trees are fully Havok'ed so that if you knock the fruit out of the trees with your sword, or shoot them with a bow, they'll react realistically. A fun thing to do is try shooting an apple out of the trees,
This mod from Qarl's adds apple and orange trees around Cyrodiil. These trees are fully Havok'ed so that if you knock the fruit out of the trees with your sword, or shoot them with a bow, they'll react realistically.

https://gamefront.online/files/6378469/Qarls_Harvest11.zip

You need to be a member and logged in to download files larger than 2Mb in size.
J_Darnley: What the fucking hell is this? What a shit website to recommend. Are you getting some kickback, GOG?
Try this site https://www.worldofelderscrolls.de/ it is in German BUT the Mod names are in English and it has English translations underneath the German languages!
Post edited June 02, 2018 by fr33kSh0w2012
Any idea how to install Vanilla UI Plus with the GOG version of FNV? I'm using Nexus Mod Manager, but the mod is only available on ModDB, and I'm confused as to how to manually install it, even after checking the included readme.