It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It would be interesting, if you feel like it of course, a table showing the number of games with achievements released each year on GOG.
Even more interesting a table that shows the number of games released on GOG that have achievements on Steam but not on GOG, but I don't know if it's possible to automate the process.

Then, I hope I don't sound selfish, but it would be nice if you could abandon the so-called "legacy mode", which unfortunately is holding MaGog back at the moment.
high rated
Alexim: It would be interesting, if you feel like it of course, a table showing the number of games with achievements released each year on GOG.
Even more interesting a table that shows the number of games released on GOG that have achievements on Steam but not on GOG, but I don't know if it's possible to automate the process.
Interesting ideas. Thanks. I'll look into them when I have some free time.

Alexim: Then, I hope I don't sound selfish, but it would be nice if you could abandon the so-called "legacy mode", which unfortunately is holding MaGog back at the moment.
Not selfish at all. I would also love to abandon Legacy mode. And I will gladly do so as soon as GOG removes Gwent from its catalogue.
Post edited June 21, 2020 by mrkgnao
high rated
* Added filtering by and display of presence of Steam achievements [suggested by Alexim]
* Added one more table (Table XVII: Addition Year (Row) x Achievements on Steam/GOG (Column)) to the metrics page [suggested by Alexim]

Alexim: It would be interesting, if you feel like it of course, a table showing the number of games with achievements released each year on GOG.
I believe this, more or less, is what you've asked for:
http://www.an-ovel.com/pages/ma_mtrc.php#TableXVII
Post edited June 21, 2020 by mrkgnao
Alexim: Then, I hope I don't sound selfish, but it would be nice if you could abandon the so-called "legacy mode", which unfortunately is holding MaGog back at the moment.
mrkgnao: Not selfish at all. I would also love to abandon Legacy mode. And I will gladly do so as soon as GOG removes Gwent from its catalogue.
Unfortunately I'm afraid that will not happen soon, and there is the multiplayer version of Cyberpunk in the works that I fear will have more or less the characteristics of GTA online...

mrkgnao: * Added filtering by and display of presence of Steam achievements [suggested by Alexim]
* Added one more table (Table XVII: Addition Year (Row) x Achievements on Steam/GOG (Column)) to the metrics page [suggested by Alexim]

mrkgnao: I believe this, more or less, is what you've asked for:
http://www.an-ovel.com/pages/ma_mtrc.php#TableXVII
Thank you, that's really cool, and it's exactly what I had in mind!
high rated
As of 12 hours ago, MaGog is unable to access any page on GOG, and thus cannot update her database.

There are two possibilities I can think of:
1) GOG has blocked MaGog's IP. This has happened quite a few times in the past, but it usually affected only some GOG pages (e.g. library, forum), not all. I have contacted GOG to ask them to lift the IP block, if any, but haven't heard from them yet.

2) GOG has changed its SSL requirements, blocking anyone with older SSL versions, which MaGog uses. I believe this has happened once before a couple of years ago and I was unable to find a solution. Luckily, back then the change also broke the GOG Downloader, so GOG reverted it after a few days. No such luck expected this time, if that is indeed the case.

If it's (2), it's a big issue, as I cannot update the SSL version on MaGog's server, because this cannot be done with the current Linux version installed on it (Centos 5), nor can the OS be upgraded.

Which leaves two options:
(a) format MaGog's server and install a new OS [I've never done anything similar and I don't see myself starting now]
or
(b) move to a new VPS hosting service [Anyone has any recommendations?]

I'm not sure I have the mental strength to do either of these.

For now, MaGog is in a coma.
high rated
mrkgnao:
Them killing the Downloader because it would no longer match their goal to be up-to-date strongly suggests option 2, as in it was done in preparation for such a change... What a mess...
mrkgnao:
Cavalary: Them killing the Downloader because it would no longer match their goal to be up-to-date strongly suggests option 2, as in it was done in preparation for such a change... What a mess...
I agree.
mrkgnao: Which leaves two options:
(a) format MaGog's server and install a new OS [I've never done anything similar and I don't see myself starting now]
or
So, your provider does not offer VPS with newer versions of CentOS?
mrkgnao: Which leaves two options:
or
madth3: So, your provider does not offer VPS with newer versions of CentOS?
Yes, it does. But that would require me to migrate to a different, newer, hosting plan and platform (the one I'm on is essentially obsolete), which is nearly the same amount of work as moving to a new provider. And since I'm not at all pleased with my current provider, I might as well move to a --- hopefully --- better and --- certainly --- much cheaper hosting service.
madth3: So, your provider does not offer VPS with newer versions of CentOS?
mrkgnao: Yes, it does. But that would require me to migrate to a different, newer, hosting plan and platform (the one I'm on is essentially obsolete), which is nearly the same amount of work as moving to a new provider. And since I'm not at all pleased with my current provider, I might as well move to a --- hopefully --- better and --- certainly --- much cheaper hosting service.
Sounds like this may prove to be the kick needed to start an otherwise a necessary process?
Scary prospect though, on top of the actual effort and time required.
But if not, MaGOG can be in a true "legacy mode", frozen in time at some point... May not be one freely chosen to protest one of GOG's many rotten changes over the past several years, but there have been so many, the moment may not matter much anymore :/
mrkgnao: I might as well move to a --- hopefully --- better and --- certainly --- much cheaper hosting service.
What sort of price / specs were you expecting? Hetzner offers 20 TB of monthly traffic even with their cheapest VPSes (starting at something like 3 EUR). Vultr has a a $2.50 VPS, IPv6 only. $3.5 if you need IPv4. The downside is vultr's traffic is grossly overpriced compared to hetzner..
mrkgnao: I might as well move to a --- hopefully --- better and --- certainly --- much cheaper hosting service.
clarry: What sort of price / specs were you expecting? Hetzner offers 20 TB of monthly traffic even with their cheapest VPSes (starting at something like 3 EUR). Vultr has a a $2.50 VPS, IPv6 only. $3.5 if you need IPv4. The downside is vultr's traffic is grossly overpriced compared to hetzner..
Thanks. I'll look into them.

The spec that most interests me is stable CPU performance, since both MaGog's update and search capabilities are CPU intensive. In a crowded environment (standard web hosting or oversubscribed VPSs), a single search can take at times 10-30 seconds, instead of the normal 1-2 seconds, and that's unacceptable for me. That's not information that providers normally share, so firsthand experience is welcome.

Other things that I care about are responsive support, a minimum of downtime, and relatively easy OS updates.

For all other resources, I don't need much at all (1TB traffic, 20GB HD, 512MB RAM). Currently I pay $20/month, and would like to drop to the $10 range or less.
mrkgnao: 2) GOG has changed its SSL requirements, blocking anyone with older SSL versions, which MaGog uses.
yes, seems they indeed switched off support for anything older than TLS 1.2
high rated
mrkgnao: [...] For now, MaGog is in a coma.
Give her my best, and remember - talking to her might help with her recovery.
mrkgnao: If it's (2), it's a big issue, as I cannot update the SSL version on MaGog's server, because this cannot be done with the current Linux version installed on it (Centos 5), nor can the OS be upgraded.
If you ever feel up to it, I would consider moving MaGog onto Docker and finding a provider that supports those kind of workloads. I admit it's quite the learning curve if you're new to it, but it's ultimately worth it IMHO.

Moving stuff around with containers is super easy and you don't have to worry about stuff like OS, libraries and so on as long as you're fine with what's inside the container. You can also base your container(s) on a rolling Linux distro image and update it whenever you have to or feel like it.