It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

richlind33: The challenge lies in dealing with the consequences of irrational spending.
A (computer/video) game can contain challenges, but not all challenges are games. Gambling can be part of a game. But not all gambling is game related.
And why am I explaining this? Are you a toddler?

Anyway...
I stopped buying/playing AAA (PC - single player!) games a couple of years ago. This loot crate business has nothing to do with me.
richlind33: The challenge lies in dealing with the consequences of irrational spending.
teceem: A (computer/video) game can contain challenges, but not all challenges are games. Gambling can be part of a game. But not all gambling is game related.
And why am I explaining this? Are you a toddler?

Anyway...
I stopped buying/playing AAA (PC - single player!) games a couple of years ago. This loot crate business has nothing to do with me.
A post may contain points, but not all points are poignant. o.O
I do like the "in your face" attitude of WB on how they intend to make money from this game. About one and a half months after releasing this 'AAA' game for a greedy £45, they chuck it out in the steam sale at 40% off. Clearly having pulled the alpha mugs in for the full price, they're wasting no time cleaning up the remainder to fully monetise the game's 'extra earning potential' (I bet there's some sales & marketing pratt at WB that used a term like that in a meeting at some point).
Ironically actually in the Steam top sellers list as well.

ps. Omg it's only been less than 2 months since Shadow of War release? Already feels like it was ages ago xD
Pheace: Ironically actually in the Steam top sellers list as well.

ps. Omg it's only been less than 2 months since Shadow of War release? Already feels like it was ages ago xD
Did you get it on sale, or are you an "alpha mug"? ;p
Pheace: Ironically actually in the Steam top sellers list as well.

richlind33: Did you get it on sale, or are you an "alpha mug"? ;p
An alpha mug with no regrets, game was fun. The microtransactions are pretty much meaningless in that game. Game itself was fun, though i was disappointed with the online part of it (very small part of the game).

Seems like a nice thought to build up your fortress and have it attacked sometimes by other players (with no consequences to you except possible gains if your side wins), except, I was attacked once in several weeks since launch. So that interest quickly went away, which means there's little point to really 'perfecting' your fortress.
richlind33: Did you get it on sale, or are you an "alpha mug"? ;p
Pheace: An alpha mug with no regrets, game was fun. The microtransactions are pretty much meaningless in that game. Game itself was fun, though i was disappointed with the online part of it (very small part of the game).

Seems like a nice thought to build up your fortress and have it attacked sometimes by other players (with no consequences to you except possible gains if your side wins), except, I was attacked once in several weeks since launch. So that interest quickly went away, which means there's little point to really 'perfecting' your fortress.
How does it stack up against Shadow Of Mordor?
One thing that definitely should come is the information about what you are buying when you are buying loot boxes. In every lottery you know what the chances are to hit the jackpot and you know what's in it. So for loot boxes they probably should do the same and tell you what you can get and the associated chance to get it. Then there is fair ground and people can decide if it's worth it. Although I still tend to say that paying to win is not a fun way to spend money because of this not being a real challenge.
Post edited November 27, 2017 by Trilarion
EA are really screwing up big time of late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4o4edIblLA
fishbaits: EA are really screwing up big time of late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4o4edIblLA
Here's an in-depth analysis of the origin of the lootbox system and EA under CEO Andrew Wilson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLFNlu2N_M

I totally agree that EA's Stock is poised to take a dive, as EA's earnings have become increasingly dependent on microtransactions, and are significantly less dependent on game sales, so it's exposure to government regulation could potentially be catastrophic -- which is very good news in my estimation.
Post edited December 03, 2017 by richlind33
Wow, Rift has gone loot box mental.
A crate with chance to drop one, yes one mount.
Price of the crate?
$99.... o0
fishbaits: Wow, Rift has gone loot box mental.
Price of the crate?
$99.... o0
if you don't like it, you know, you don't have to buy it. just saying.

but I am glad you had to inform us of this monumental piece of information. I can finally get some rest now. I had been waiting 11 days for the next time you would post another brilliant insight here. So what next? where ever can you, oh champion of justice, go from here? wait another 2 weeks to post the price of another loot box for a random game?
fishbaits: Wow, Rift has gone loot box mental.
Price of the crate?
$99.... o0
amok: if you don't like it, you know, you don't have to buy it. just saying.

but I am glad you had to inform us of this monumental piece of information. I can finally get some rest now. I had been waiting 11 days for the next time you would post another brilliant insight here. So what next? where ever can you, oh champion of justice, go from here? wait another 2 weeks to post the price of another loot box for a random game?
So if you don't like the thread, you don't have to read it? o.O
amok: if you don't like it, you know, you don't have to buy it. just saying.

richlind33: So if you don't like the thread, you don't have to read it? o.O
there is many good things in this thread, but so far in the last two weeks.... fishbaits contribution has been to provide as single link to ... whatever? and then telling the price on a loot crate for another random game... I don't think either is a very good or useful contribution to this thread. And was the last really a reason to revive this thread again? So my issue is not with this thread, but with fishbait
Post edited December 15, 2017 by amok
Looks like even more US states have started to look into it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkD6VDrkfP8