It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Bring back US$ for everyone and you won't have to worry about exchange rates. As a little bonus regional pricing would be gone as well and I would be happy again to buy :)

BTW: Would it really be possible to circumvent this imo unfair system by using VPN? What would GOG do if you'd use such things. I know that steam bans accounts but GOG does not really WANT regional pricing (hence the "fair price" system) so would they really suffer if you'd use VPN? They would not have to pay the store credit, the publishers would not have a problem because officially the game still iS regional priced and they should not notice a difference. How would you see this ethically speaking? (Don't get me wrong, I don't use VPN but I'd like to have opinions on zhe questions stated above).
Post edited October 02, 2014 by MarkoH01
Can we say "I told you so!" yet?

Talk about making things hard for yourself.

Just bring back single currency pricing, and save yourself a LOT of hassle...
Erich_Zann: I think it's naive to think they would have gone for the lowest price. Without regional pricing, it would probably have launched here for 55 US$ "for everyone, worldwide". Just a hunch.
sunshinecorp: Nope. Wasn't that way before. We (europeans) were just paying what the americans were paying.
Precisely, everybody paid the same, howewer high or low it was in the first place. Do you really think a publisher, coming to GOG with let's say three regional prices (USA/ROW, EU & Russia for instance) and being told by GOG "one world, one price of sod off" would have chosen/agreed to sell for the lowest of the three prices he had in mind ?
Post edited October 02, 2014 by Erich_Zann
sunshinecorp: Nope. Wasn't that way before. We (europeans) were just paying what the americans were paying.
Erich_Zann: Precisely, everybody paid the same, howewer high or low it was in the first place. Do you really think a publisher, coming to GOG with let's say three regional prices (USA/ROW, EU & Russia for instance) and being told by GOG "one world, one price of sod off" would have chosen/agreed to sell for the lowest of the three prices he had in mind ?
You don't get me. GOG once featured flat ("fair") pricing when Steam had regional pricing. I could get games on GOG cheaper because of this (the ones that didn't have an exclusive pricing agreement, I guess).
Erich_Zann: Precisely, everybody paid the same, howewer high or low it was in the first place. Do you really think a publisher, coming to GOG with let's say three regional prices (USA/ROW, EU & Russia for instance) and being told by GOG "one world, one price of sod off" would have chosen/agreed to sell for the lowest of the three prices he had in mind ?
sunshinecorp: You don't get me. GOG once featured flat ("fair") pricing when Steam had regional pricing. I could get games on GOG cheaper because of this (the ones that didn't have an exclusive pricing agreement, I guess).
I get you, I just think you're bloody naive if you think GOG's flat/cheaper for all pricing would have been accepted by publishers for anything else than oldies. There's no way you would have gotten Divinity : Original Sin for the american price here if it was regionally priced elsewhere. Either you wouldn't have got it at all, or everybody would have had to pay the higher/european price.

A business has to grow or go under, stagnation is not an option, and everything points to the fact that people like me, who are basically only here for the oldies and the occasional "old-school" game, do not represent enough revenue for GOG to grow on this leg alone. Hence the indies, hence the new(ish) games. And GOG not being Steam (yet), they don't get to dictate the terms as much as the Valve guys.
sunshinecorp: You don't get me. GOG once featured flat ("fair") pricing when Steam had regional pricing. I could get games on GOG cheaper because of this (the ones that didn't have an exclusive pricing agreement, I guess).
Erich_Zann: I get you, I just think you're bloody naive if you think GOG's flat/cheaper for all pricing would have been accepted by publishers for anything else than oldies. There's no way you would have gotten Divinity : Original Sin for the american price here if it was regionally priced elsewhere. Either you wouldn't have got it at all, or everybody would have had to pay the higher/european price.

A business has to grow or go under, stagnation is not an option, and everything points to the fact that people like me, who are basically here for the oldies and the occasional "old-school" game, do not represent enough revenue for GOG to grow on this leg alone. Hence the indies, hence the new(ish) games. And GOG not being Steam (yet), they don't get to dictate the terms as much as the Valve guys.
If retailers start saying know to publishers, a new standard will be set. It's the way business works. Publishers care less about customers than retailers do. Most indie games, even the new ones, don't resort to regional pricing anyway. The regional switch was made to mostly pave the way for future "AAA" releases. A few exceptions here and there (shame on Wasteland 2 and D:OS for example, games that were crowdfunded, to use regional pricing, well, at least shame on their choice of publisher, if they weren't self-published).
You're calling me naive, I call you passive. You just accept something.
sunshinecorp: If retailers start saying know to publishers, a new standard will be set. It's the way business works. Publishers care less about customers than retailers do. Most indie games, even the new ones, don't resort to regional pricing anyway. The regional switch was made to mostly pave the way for future "AAA" releases. A few exceptions here and there (shame on Wasteland 2 and D:OS for example, games that were crowdfunded, to use regional pricing, well, at least shame on their choice of publisher, if they weren't self-published).
If GOG says no to a publisher, the publisher walks away and sells on Steam, since everything and shovelware ends there anyway, and 99% of the customers will buy the game there instead.
GOG loses, and the handful of people who don't want to use Steam lose. The publisher doesn't lose that much yet.

When/if GOG grows to a real contender to Steam, maybe they will be able to dictate terms. If they try it now, I fear they'll be laughed out of the hall.
sunshinecorp: If retailers start saying know to publishers, a new standard will be set. It's the way business works. Publishers care less about customers than retailers do. Most indie games, even the new ones, don't resort to regional pricing anyway. The regional switch was made to mostly pave the way for future "AAA" releases. A few exceptions here and there (shame on Wasteland 2 and D:OS for example, games that were crowdfunded, to use regional pricing, well, at least shame on their choice of publisher, if they weren't self-published).
Erich_Zann: If GOG says no to a publisher, the publisher walks away and sells on Steam, since everything and shovelware ends there anyway, and 99% of the customers will buy the game there instead.
GOG loses, and the handful of people who don't want to use Steam lose. The publisher doesn't lose that much yet.

When/if GOG grows to a real contender to Steam, maybe they will be able to dictate terms. If they try it now, I fear they'll be laughed out of the hall.
By a bunch of still undisclosed titles? So be it.
Erich_Zann: If GOG says no to a publisher, the publisher walks away and sells on Steam, since everything and shovelware ends there anyway, and 99% of the customers will buy the game there instead.

sunshinecorp: By a bunch of still undisclosed titles? So be it.
To each his own, I'd prefer GOG not to fold just yet.
If people didn't systematically wait for sales - and then complain when it's "only" 50 or 60% discount - to buy 6$ / 10$ titles they're interested in, maybe GOG would have been able to grow without resorting to these shenanigans.
sunshinecorp: By a bunch of still undisclosed titles? So be it.
Erich_Zann: To each his own, I'd prefer GOG not to fold just yet.
If people didn't systematically wait for sales - and then complain when it's "only" 50 or 60% discount - to buy 6$ / 10$ titles they're interested in, maybe GOG would have been able to grow without resorting to these shenanigans.
Sales are a major part of how it all works. Not just GOG but all major and minor retailers too. Steam has as many (or more) sales as GOG does. Don't blame this on sales. Several publishers have already admitted to overpricing their games in order to exploit the sale gimmick and sell more.
Erich_Zann: To each his own, I'd prefer GOG not to fold just yet.
sunshinecorp: Sales are a major part of how it all works. Not just GOG but all major and minor retailers too. Steam has as many (or more) sales as GOG does. Don't blame this on sales. Several publishers have already admitted to overpricing their games in order to exploit the sale gimmick and sell more.
I'm not talking about new games - which indeed tend to be either overproduced or overpriced - I'm talking about this kind of things.
sunshinecorp: Sales are a major part of how it all works. Not just GOG but all major and minor retailers too. Steam has as many (or more) sales as GOG does. Don't blame this on sales. Several publishers have already admitted to overpricing their games in order to exploit the sale gimmick and sell more.
Erich_Zann: I'm not talking about new games - which indeed tend to be either overproduced or overpriced - I'm talking about this kind of things.
Well... I have no answer to that. But I'd like to think that people who think oldies should be priced at 2 bucks are the minority.
MarkoH01: Bring back US$ for everyone and you won't have to worry about exchange rates. As a little bonus regional pricing would be gone as well and I would be happy again to buy :)
As I understand it, you can select to pay in USD (at the bottom of the page)

Why would regional pricing be gone? Having one currency is not the same as having one price.
madth3: Why would regional pricing be gone? Having one currency is not the same as having one price.
I believe some folks think that bringing back USD-only would also bring back those conditions under which publishers were fine with GOG having different, flat prices versus other vendors. That seems less likely since those publishers have now been exposed as allowing that, and they would be unlikely to reinstate that policy even if GOG did go back to just USD.
MarkoH01: Bring back US$ for everyone and you won't have to worry about exchange rates. As a little bonus regional pricing would be gone as well and I would be happy again to buy :)
madth3: As I understand it, you can select to pay in USD (at the bottom of the page)

Why would regional pricing be gone? Having one currency is not the same as having one price.
I know that. What I meant is that they should do everything like they've done it in the past. I never had a problem wwith the way it was before.