It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

hmmm this just seems such a clusterfuck. Maybe this sounds childish but I don't like these kind of things. I understand it but i don't like it. Feels amateurisch...

Makes me feel exactly like the new steam update: The main page is such a clusterfuck that i am not buying anything at all for the moment because it doesn't feel "fun" to do...
Picchia: Perhaps it's smart to update the exchange rates at fixed dates. If everyone knows the prices update every day, week, two weeks, every month or whatever then it will save you a lot of explaining.
That´s a real nice idea. Would be good to have this as the beginning of every month!
Vader: I'm altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it further.

Yeah, I think I'm finally done.
high rated
You are going to have to do a rolling monthly average adjusting or else the volatility will drive you crazy. And bust you.

How this works is that you take the daily average of every month and on the 5th of the next month, you adjust accordingly.

Obviously this leads to monthly adjustments which noone likes but just look at the exchange rates your are using:

EURUSD 1.2503
GBPUSD 1.6139
AUDUSD 0.8695
RUBUSD 38.94

You gave yourselves a bit of wiggle room on all of them except the GBP but we are at an inflection point with regards to the US economy seemingly outpacing other major market economies and this major trend shift is going to be very volatile.

The previous rates you were using were:

EURUSD 1.3338
GBPUSD 1.6678
AUDUSD 0.9173
RUBUSD 35.94

Your profit margins should have taken a bath in the last few months due to this amateurish effort to effectively freeze currency transaction rates in what has become a volatile market. You need to explain to your customer base that you can't afford to act as a currency dealer and guarantee fixed exchange rates and base everything off the USD price and just have the website calculate the appx. price in the local currency, otherwise you are acting very stupid. Mature individuals will understand that you are a business and that having you take losses and possibly going bankrupt will benefit noone.

Don't be stupid GOG.
Thanks for the transparency. Like others, I hope this becomes a regular update kind of thing.
fr33kSh0w2012: http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/11/16/1226518/080400-best-20-beers.jpg

Little Creatures Puffing Billy, bock, 6.5% alcohol, $5 for a bottle
It's single-batch and harder to get than attention in a crowded restaurant. But it's a good local version of the German bock style. Think dark malty lager with a strong alcohol finish and a hint of smoked meats. An aspirational drop, you better get some now because it will be gone as quick as the waiter who just walked past.
Drink with: pork knuckle

Oh, Great My Sandwich Meat is out of date!
DrRoxo: Not sure if you actually meant to post this here, but it's good to see a fellow beer enthusiast here! Cheers!
Thanks and Whoops...
The GOG-price in euro is still slightly cheaper than a dollar conversion by PayPal. On PayPay I would pay €8.17 instead of €7.99.
Buenro-games: Your profit margins should have taken a bath in the last few months due to this amateurish effort to effectively freeze currency transaction rates in what has become a volatile market. You need to explain to your customer base that you can't afford to act as a currency dealer and guarantee fixed exchange rates and base everything off the USD price and just have the website calculate the appx. price in the local currency, otherwise you are acting very stupid. Mature individuals will understand that you are a business and that having you take losses and possibly going bankrupt will benefit noone.

Don't be stupid GOG.
Actually users wanted realtime or daily exchange rates but gog said that that was not doable when they made the new system.
Rincewind81: Witcher 3 will be the next...
Rinu: It has been known for months The Witcher 3 is going to be sold here. It is hardly a surprise. And if that game is the reason for region prices, it would be... well, a downer.
It's like Valve announcing that Portal 3 will be indeed released on *gasp* Steam.
My intention with this post was that i doubt that we will see any new AAA games. So I used the Witcher early 2015 as example. It is not the reason for the changes, the game was regional priced before.
Magmarock: I rather you guys just go back to the older way of doing things. It was fair and we had more games.
^this. I just don't get the reasons for the pricing changes when publishers are jumping ship anyway. What the hell is GOG hoping to accomplish in future with the recent changes? I hope they know what they're doing but it doesn't look like it from this end.
You know what? If using local currencies is a must, I'm fine with these updates as long as they happen both ways. In fact, if these things are going to happen in the future (both ways, of course), I'd be perfectly fine with this becoming automated. Fox example, if prices were updated once per month, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it was an algorithm that calculated the prices.
I really don't get why people are upset about GOG doing this. I am happy with what GOG is trying to do.
Rincewind81: My intention with this post was that i doubt that we will see any new AAA games. So I used the Witcher early 2015 as example. It is not the reason for the changes, the game was regional priced before.
This is like the one game that basically should *absolutely* not be the reason for the changes since this is the one game the owners of GOG actually have full control over, since they own it.

That's why the response came off as a bit odd I'd imagine ;)
Post edited October 02, 2014 by Pheace
Pheace: This is like the one game that basically should *absolutely* not be the reason for the changes since this is the one game the owners of GOG actually have full control over, since they own it.

That's why the response came off as a bit odd I'd imagine ;)
Yes :).

Rincewind81: My intention with this post was that i doubt that we will see any new AAA games. So I used the Witcher early 2015 as example. It is not the reason for the changes, the game was regional priced before.
My point was that GOG said their "one world, one price" policy was preventing them from signing a deal for AAA titles and it was mandatory to not have it.

We need more breakthroughs like this to be able to show all the devs and publishers in our industry that DRM-free digital distribution is actually good for their business and their fans. And when I say breakthroughs, I am talking about really kick-ass games, with a potential metacritic score of 85% or more, AA+ and AAA kind of titles.

And this is exactly why we signed those 3 (first officially regionally priced) games we told you about last Friday. We believe those 3 games can be massive hits for hardcore gamers, that they can help us spread the DRM-free model among the industry for newer games and we did our best to convince their rights holders to give GOG.com a try. One of those games, as you see already, is Age of Wonders 3. We're planning more titles even beyond these first 3 soon.
source: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/letter_from_the_md_about_regional_pricing

I have seen indie, old and AA+. I don't see AAA. Not one, not more. None that would support such claim. Wide-spread regionally priced website didn't prevent Witcher 2 to be sold here Day 1. Neither would Witcher 3.
Post edited October 02, 2014 by Rinu
sunshinecorp: To put it in much simpler terms, if regional pricing wasn't in effect, Divinity Original Sin WOULD HAVE TO COST 40 DOLLARS FOR EVERYONE, WORLDWIDE. 40 dollars converted to euros is 31 euros. Not 55, and not 50. The difference you see is not in cents. It's in tens of euros.
Erich_Zann: I think it's naive to think they would have gone for the lowest price. Without regional pricing, it would probably have launched here for 55 US$ "for everyone, worldwide". Just a hunch.
Nope. Wasn't that way before. We (europeans) were just paying what the americans were paying.