It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

KillerBee69: as soon as i read the first € sign on gog i felt this whole project going into a downwards spiral straight to hell... quite dark i admint, still i cant help but feeling like im confirmed in my fear when reading stuff like this. i fear for you gog.
dr.schliemann: True. It's H€LL!!! >:-(
IMO the only culprit is the UE since they do not enforce their currency like the BRICS group (who can do trading without needing conversion to US dollars).
Yep, makes sense to adjust the prices. I noticed the large change in USD/EUR exchange price recently and I already bought a lot of EURs (needed to do this for a while but now it's a good time to do it).

Does anyone know why this is happening right now? It's not like the US economy is boosting these last few months and/or that the EU economies are suffering more?

There was a similar dip in EUR prices 2 years ago (2012 summer if I remember well) but that was because of all those worries back then with Greece, Italy and other economies risking default.
mangamuscle: Negotiating is not some kind of panacea. I do believe that gog did their best at negotiating, but they could not convince the greedy bastards, I mean, publishers. This might change later on (specially if we ever get to $1 = 1€), but lets not forget that gog is a tiny dot in the game publishing landscape, they are not the 800 pound gorrilla who can force publishers to do whatever they want.
It's not that simple. The retail stores are usually the ones that impose these things. You see, for some reason they want to sell the games at USD -> EUR price (1:1 conversion) and once they decide that of course they'll have the publisher also agree that they'll sell it at the same price anywhere else in the same geographical area (including digitally) because otherwise that would compete with the in store price (the retail store would see that as "unfair" competition).

For games that only get released digitally things are simpler (that's usually the case for independent titles and small/medium developer made titles), it's purely up to the publisher (if there even is one) to decide on the price and can be negotiated between the digital store and the publisher (however, once a price agreement is reached say between Steam and publisher X, X will be required that all other digital stores they sell it on will have the same price as Steam or otherwise Steam won't like the "unfair" competition and so on).
Post edited October 01, 2014 by rmihaif
>Does anyone know why this is happening right now? It's not like the US economy is boosting these last few months and/or that the EU economies are suffering more?

I think EU suffering more from economic war with Russia (sanctions), and this is only beginning (winter is coming).

BTW.
I will vote with my wallet, simply I will buy less games (or somewhere else or wait for sales).
xernos: >Does anyone know why this is happening right now? It's not like the US economy is boosting these last few months and/or that the EU economies are suffering more?
The US economy is actually doing pretty well lately, from what I have read. There was even a BBC story a week or so ago where some US politicians urged the EU to get their economic numbers up in balance.
^ That's interesting, because just a few months ago they were urging us to stop trading with Russia. Which is having such a great impact on EU economy! =)
Great, more money being sucked out our wallets.
I'm still waiting for the improvements and new publishers there''s been talk about. Big new games etc. Gog has only become more expensive and abandoned principles and we, the customers, haven't gained anything significant.

No big deal though, I just think it would've been fun if we would have gotten at least one big positive surprise instead of several small negative ones.
vanchann: ...
feamatar: ...
It's just my opinion. I'm not trying to enforce it on yours.
As you're free to say that it's better to have games using regional pricing than not have them at all, I can say the opposite. That's freedom, equality and democracy at last, and through all our arguments we get better.

Let's clarify some things though. We're on the same side. I'm here for the DRM free. I don't use Steam or any other DRM system (malware to my eyes). I respect the work of others and I never pirate.

Remember that one flat price was a GoG's principal.
Think what would have happen if GoG drops another principle. If some publishers could offer their games here using DRM, they would have done so, because they just could do it as in almost all online shops.

Let's get back to the pricing issue. The problem with regional pricing scheme is that many games that used flat price, now adopt regional prices.
Check this mix for example.
Unfortunately we cannot deside about such things. If a scheme is available everyone can use it. So we get back to the ethics of publishers and users. But how a developer/publisher respects us, while treats us differently?

What GoG and us as its users can do is to present to the developers/publishers a strong user base with deep and strong principles. If they respect us, they can have our money.

I don't want to start a fire here. You can disagree with everything I say. I respect that and maybe I'm wrong.
Post edited October 02, 2014 by vanchann
Dralel: Great, more money being sucked out our wallets.
Not sure if you put blame on GOG, but it's not their fault that the exchange rates have changed significantly over the past month or so.

Even if GOG hadn't adopted local currencies, the end result would have been the same, i.e. any game would have costed more after converting the USD price to your local currency.
Austrobogulator: So, why round to the nearest 0.09? I mean, any reason other than an attempt at psychological manipulation?
Erich_Zann: I never understood why prices are set that way. When I see "5.99" I don't read "five" but "six", and when I see 499.99 I don't read "four hundred" either... I guess that works on some people, else stores worldwide would have dropped this practice aeons ago, and we would have less 1 cent coins weighing down our pockets.
It's the same reason some marketers bombard you with a brand name unattached to the product. They aren't trying to fool the majority of customers. They're trying to tip the customers a little closer to buying. I don't know the exact psychology, but when you bias someone by starting from a particular a value, it influences the point that person considers accepting the deal. Complex prices also force you to do more complicated math or remember more estimates at once when you're dealing with multiple purchases and added costs like taxes, leading to shortcuts and subtle errors in the merchant's favor.

Things that seem inconsequential can have surprising effects on the subconscious, like a magician or pickpocket who keeps steering your attention without you realizing it's happening. Our decisionmaking is less rational than it feels. And even if the .01 price drop doesn't influence many people, it's practically free to the merchant to take the chance.
feamatar: All what you people do is screw up with people like me who just want to buy DRM free, easily archivable games legally.
It is enough retarded already that Nordic Games removed some games from "the big library", so now there are people who cannot buy their game DRM free.
Woah man, relax a bit, no one screwed up anything here. Nordic Games' catalog is still sold DRM free on , [url=http://www.gamersgate.com/games?filter=publisher:24,feature:12&prio=topsellers&state=available]Gamersgate, and a few other places. So if by DRM-free you mean just that, good news, there's still plenty of options!
But if by DRM-free you actually meant "my favourite store GOG", tough luck, you'll have to wait until they reach another agreement. Whatever made them pull their calatog is between Nordic Games and GOG and it's up to them to solve it.
I'm sure they'll bring them back eventually, but GOG is probably focusing more on getting new publishers and games on board than recovering old niche games that they have been selling for years.
Fever_Discordia: Makes me wonder what going on in the world generally - is the Dollar getting stronger or is everything else getting weaker and why?
Both. USD is increasing due to smaller Fed investitures, and everyone else is decreasing because their production (GDP) isn't going higher and their economies are stagnant.
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-weird-ecomomics-behind-steam-prices-around-the-world/

PC Gamer just posted this bit on regional pricing. Don't know how much is accurate and how much is pro-Steam praise. So long as groups like that control the market, I doubt there will be much freedom with regards to this regional pricing garbage.
GOG.com: We are slightly adjusting local pricing due to changes in currency exchange rates.

Due to recent significant changes in currency conversion rates, ...
No worries, cheers for letting us know. It's still a great service at a great price so cheers for that.
Thanks GOG Team for making this update official - I appreciate your transparency guys. I guess other digital distributors would just change the prices without letting the customers know - hey maybe those geeks won't notice, right?