It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

sunshinecorp: I hope GOG drops this regional pricing thing. Not worth it. Not for this little fluctuation here, in general. And publishers that insist on regional pricing should have their heads examined.
mangamuscle: You fail to realize they will not have their heads examined, they would simply remove their games from the gog catalogue ifregional pricing is removed.
I know this and I'm OK with it. And several other people are too. If they're not willing to negotiate, why should we? Well, I know why GOG wants to. But I'm kinda thinking about the customer here.
Post edited October 01, 2014 by sunshinecorp
mangamuscle: You fail to realize they will not have their heads examined, they would simply remove their games from the gog catalogue ifregional pricing is removed.
sunshinecorp: I know this and I'm OK with it. And several other people are too. If they're not willing to negotiate, why should we? Well, I know why GOG wants to. But I'm kinda thinking about the customer here.
Negotiating is not some kind of panacea. I do believe that gog did their best at negotiating, but they could not convince the greedy bastards, I mean, publishers. This might change later on (specially if we ever get to $1 = 1€), but lets not forget that gog is a tiny dot in the game publishing landscape, they are not the 800 pound gorrilla who can force publishers to do whatever they want.
sunshinecorp: I know this and I'm OK with it. And several other people are too. If they're not willing to negotiate, why should we? Well, I know why GOG wants to. But I'm kinda thinking about the customer here.
mangamuscle: Negotiating is not some kind of panacea. I do believe that gog did their best at negotiating, but they could not convince the greedy bastards, I mean, publishers. This might change later on (specially if we ever get to $1 = 1€), but lets not forget that gog is a tiny dot in the game publishing landscape, they are not the 800 pound gorrilla who can force publishers to do whatever they want.
That's why it would probably be better to have less titles on catalogue than being pushed around by them.
No need to argue.

It's a fact that users in some countries like Germany and Greece have to always pay more for regional priced games. To get back bonus store credits doesn't mean you don't be charged for the full price.

These credits should be spent on GoG.com only. Maybe it's not so bad for GoG followers, but it doesn't make the price cheaper. Even for us GoG followers buying regional priced games sends the wrong messages to developers/publishers.

As it's obvious now some developers/publishers are greedy enough and use the regional pricing scheme if it's available.

In my opinion regional pricing should be banned from GoG.com, along with all the greedy developers/publishers who impose it.
Post edited October 01, 2014 by vanchann
Just checked the exchange rate (xe.com) and this is what 9.99 USD converts to, in most cases a little more favourable than what GOG gives us.

7.92 EUR
6.17 GBP
11.44 AUD
396 RUB

Not far off the mark obviously, but these things can change fairly quickly. Right now, though, it would be best for most to use USD instead of the "local" currency.
Pangaea666: Just checked the exchange rate (xe.com) and this is what 9.99 USD converts to, in most cases a little more favourable than what GOG gives us.
<snip>
Keep in mind that your bank won't use that rate, but a slightly worse one (and that's ignoring any international transaction fees they may charge). The difference is even smaller when you account for that.
vanchann: In my opinion regional pricing should be banned from GoG.com, along with all the greedy developers/publishers who impose it.
sunshinecorp: That's why it would probably be better to have less titles on catalogue than being pushed around by them.
An smaller catalogue would mean less sales for gog and less options for customers, in short, your suggestion only means taking away from customers the option to buy or not regionaly priced games. As noted in prior threads, if it really bothers you as a moral or ethic principle, then get a VPN and buy in usd. I know vpn cost, it is called putting your money where your mouth is.
Post edited October 01, 2014 by mangamuscle
Pangaea666: Just checked the exchange rate (xe.com) and this is what 9.99 USD converts to, in most cases a little more favourable than what GOG gives us.

7.92 EUR
6.17 GBP
11.44 AUD
396 RUB

Not far off the mark obviously, but these things can change fairly quickly. Right now, though, it would be best for most to use USD instead of the "local" currency.
Depends on the payment option used. Since I'm an avid paysafe user, I get charged an extra 2% for any non-€ transaction. Thus, $9.99 would become about $10.19 or €8.08 according to xe.com, so GOG's € price actually benefits me.
Post edited October 01, 2014 by Grargar
sunshinecorp: That's why it would probably be better to have less titles on catalogue than being pushed around by them.
mangamuscle: An smaller catalogue would mean less sales for gog and less options for customers, in short, your suggestion only means taking away from customers the option to buy or not regionaly priced games. As noted in prior threads, if it really bothers you as a moral or ethic principle, then get a VPN and buy in usd. I know vpn cost, it is called putting your money where your mouth is.
GOG was doing quite well without these "new" choices. Anyway, I'm not going to get a VPN and buy in USD. No reason to do that. I will just refuse to buy regionally priced games here. Fortunately, almost every game I'm interested in and is regionally priced on GOG I've already backed on its Kickstarter getting a far more reasonable price, so up till now I haven't been given the opportunity to "embargo" a game.
vanchann: No need to argue.

It's a fact that users in some countries like Germany and Greece have to always pay more for regional priced games. To get back bonus store credits doesn't mean you don't be charged for the full price.

These credits should be spent on GoG.com only. Maybe it's not so bad for GoG followers, but it doesn't make the price cheaper. Even for us GoG followers buying regional priced games sends the wrong messages to developers/publishers.

As it's obvious now some developers/publishers are greedy enough and use the regional pricing scheme if it's available.

In my opinion regional pricing should be banned from GoG.com, along with all the greedy developers/publishers who impose it.
But why don't you let people to decide? Who forces you to buy that game? Why do you want to enforce your opinion on mine? If you don't buy it you give your message, but let me buy the games I want DRM free for the price I think I can afford it.

All what you people do is screw up with people like me who just want to buy DRM free, easily archivable games legally.
It is enough retarded already that Nordic Games removed some games from "the big library", so now there are people who cannot buy their game DRM free.

What it is good for?
This mentality screws up with GOG, screws up with the developers, and screws up people who want to legally own the game. It is good only for those who would pirate it anyway.

Or can't you wait for a sale? You would pirate it anyway again. And if you don't, why does it bother you that other's think it is worth the price? What people like you are saying just goes against. common sense.

You advocate freedom and equality and all what you shout about is banning. Ridiculous.
mangamuscle: gog...not the 800 pound gorrilla who can force publishers to do whatever they want.
Well, there's an obvious solution to that, now, isn't there?

GoG needs to employee an 800 pound gorilla. They'll dress him in a business suit, and send him to do the negotiations. Nothing could go wrong. ;)
Post edited October 01, 2014 by Irenicus73
Well, there goes my money laundering scheme down the drain.
mangamuscle: gog...not the 800 pound gorrilla who can force publishers to do whatever they want.
Irenicus73: Well, there's an obvious solution to that, now, isn't there?

GoG needs to employee an 800 pound gorilla. They'll dress him in a business suit, and send him to do the negotiations. Nothing could go wrong. ;)
I would recommend this stylish guy.
Attachments:
gorilla.png (185 Kb)
as soon as i read the first € sign on gog i felt this whole project going into a downwards spiral straight to hell... quite dark i admint, still i cant help but feeling like im confirmed in my fear when reading stuff like this. i fear for you gog.
KillerBee69: as soon as i read the first € sign on gog i felt this whole project going into a downwards spiral straight to hell... quite dark i admint, still i cant help but feeling like im confirmed in my fear when reading stuff like this. i fear for you gog.
True. It's H€LL!!! >:-(