It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

hollunder: I just stumbled upon this article: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Valve-Steam-Play-Proton-Linux
Are there any plans to compete?
I confess that I am tempted to test some games there with this Pronton...
Just to be clear, I'm rather critical of that move as it makes using WINE too convenient for Steam users and sort of 'official'. I think it will likely reduce the number of Linux ports. We probably can't say for sure, the best indication will probably be when devs use Proton as an argument to not port.
It might also push Linux users further towards Steam, that is why I was asking whether GOG plans to compete.
Post edited August 23, 2018 by hollunder
I don't think it will reduce the number of Linux ports. Quite the opposite, it will increase the number of Linux users, which will also increase the number of Linux ports. It's a great development.

GOG should step up and start bundling more games with Wine+tools as well.
Post edited August 23, 2018 by shmerl
linuxvangog: If you have any ideas for the content you would like to see from me, e.g. more insight into our work or technical tips, let me know!
In the context of GOG doing something to improve Wine on Linux situation (to match competition in some way :), can you please help with figuring out how to make maps work in The Saboteur in Wine? From what I understood, GOG developers found some workaround that makes maps work in the game on Windows, but it somehow doesn't work in Wine, and it's not clear what the workaround is to be able to fix it. May be you can help figuring out what GOG did exactly, and ping Wine developers or at least explain what was done to be able to make a working Wine fix?

Of course making a Wine bundled release with upstreaming the fix in Wine itself would be just perfect, but even just the above would be very helpful.
shmerl: In the context of GOG doing something to improve Wine on Linux situation (to match competition in some way :), can you please help with figuring out how to make maps work in The Saboteur in Wine? From what I understood, GOG developers found some workaround that makes maps work in the game on Windows, but it somehow doesn't work in Wine, and it's not clear what the workaround is to be able to fix it. May be you can help figuring out what GOG did exactly, and ping Wine developers or at least explain what was done to be able to make a working Wine fix?

Of course making a Wine bundled release with upstreaming the fix in Wine itself would be just perfect, but even just the above would be very helpful.
Sorry, the mentioned title is not supported on Linux by us and we are not planning to release it using Wine wrapper. Since it's not supported officially, we are also not going to designate any resources towards researching its Wine compatibility.
linuxvangog: Sorry, the mentioned title is not supported on Linux by us and we are not planning to release it using Wine wrapper. Since it's not supported officially, we are also not going to designate any resources towards researching its Wine compatibility.
That's kind of the point - you can bring it up as an idea for GOG management, as a way to match Steam competition. Their Proton project is aimed at unsupported games. And they are contributing to Wine upstream.

But even if you can't actually spend time figuring out how to make Wine work with it, can you at least ask GOG team which modified it, what they changed in the Windows version and then share that detail? Or may be you can just direct this to the right person. I don't mind asking them, but I don't know whom to ask.
Post edited August 31, 2018 by shmerl
After site redesign, whenever I open game page, the "system requirements" are switched to windows tab.

The old site remembered my platform is linux, and did show windows requirements only when there was no linux port for specific game at all, even for game pages I did open first time.

Now the new design keep showing windows even for games which I did already opened before, and manually switched tab to linux, when I close it and reopen, it's again on windows.

(it's no big deal as it's simple to switch tab, but it overall FEELS like GOG is abandoning linux platform step by step, wishing for it to disappear)
ped7g: After site redesign, whenever I open game page, the "system requirements" are switched to windows tab.

The old site remembered my platform is linux, and did show windows requirements only when there was no linux port for specific game at all, even for game pages I did open first time.

Now the new design keep showing windows even for games which I did already opened before, and manually switched tab to linux, when I close it and reopen, it's again on windows.

(it's no big deal as it's simple to switch tab, but it overall FEELS like GOG is abandoning linux platform step by step, wishing for it to disappear)
+1
Yes, the above is true for me as well.
Does it only seem so, or @linuxvangog is a lot less active lately and @JudasIscariot too. Did GOG introduce some new "no talk" policy about Linux support? @linuxvangog stopped posting on Reddit too.
Post edited October 05, 2018 by shmerl
shmerl: Does it only seem so, or @linuxvangog is a lot less active lately and @JudasIscariot too. Did GOG introduce some new "no talk" policy about Linux support? @linuxvangog stopped posting on Reddit too.
I noticed that too, however I messaged vangog just a couple of days ago in chat and got a reply the next day. Maybe very busy days lately?
Any clue what's up with Moonlighter? A recent release, they did a Linux version on Steam after release but now stated that it's not coming to GOG.
I was looking forward to the game and I think it's very unfortunate that this happened. Worst of all there was no reason given and I don't know why this happened.
I think GOG just desided to ditch Linux altogether. Galaxy is not in the works, games missing Linux versions, missing Linux updates (like this 1.0.0-7 version, or this lack of 1.08.24201 version, or this lack of 2.2.2.f version) and a total team of 1 (one) tech support guy (for my region that is) that is utterly unable to talk any sense into staff responsible for this…

Side note: noticed that Linux updates recently have begun to have different numbers from the MacOS and Windows updates? This, coupled with the fact that Galaxy now gets updates first leads me to the conclusion that "legacy" installers are now generated automatically from the Galaxy depots and since Linux have no depots, our installers are being produced manually (probably by a single person who often makes mistakes and occasionally forgets to make a patch).

hollunder: Any clue what's up with Moonlighter? A recent release, they did a Linux version on Steam after release but now stated that it's not coming to GOG.
Sorry, I couldn't find any mentions of the game not being planned for GOG. Can you point me to the source, please?
Alm888: I think GOG just desided to ditch Linux altogether. Galaxy is not in the works, games missing Linux versions, missing Linux updates (like this 1.0.0-7 version, or this lack of 1.08.24201 version, or this lack of 2.2.2.f version) and a total team of 1 (one) tech support guy (for my region that is) that is utterly unable to talk any sense into staff responsible for this…

Side note: noticed that Linux updates recently have begun to have different numbers from the MacOS and Windows updates? This, coupled with the fact that Galaxy now gets updates first leads me to the conclusion that "legacy" installers are now generated automatically from the Galaxy depots and since Linux have no depots, our installers are being produced manually (probably by a single person who often makes mistakes and occasionally forgets to make a patch).

hollunder: Any clue what's up with Moonlighter? A recent release, they did a Linux version on Steam after release but now stated that it's not coming to GOG.
Alm888: Sorry, I couldn't find any mentions of the game not being planned for GOG. Can you point me to the source, please?
I hope they won't ditch Linux, but there are indeed a couple of things that point to an entirely separate pipeline for Linux, which probably leads to additional costs, delays and other issues.

Regarding Moonlighter: https://www.gog.com/forum/moonlighter/linux_version_is_released_will_it_come_to_gog
Ah, silly me! I totally forgot to check thematical sub-forum here (they are nearly useless most of the time for small games).

In this case the developers' behavior makes them scammers, plain and simple. At the Kickstarter they stated in the tiers description that:
A DRM-free digital copy of Moonlighter is yours to play! (PC, Mac, Linux)
yet, there is no DRM-free version for Linux at all (I've checked, Humble Store also lacks it).

hollunder: I hope they won't ditch Linux, but there are indeed a couple of things that point to an entirely separate pipeline for Linux, which probably leads to additional costs, delays and other issues.
Speaking of costs… I've been digging through CDProject's financial documents recently and found out GOG is in fact generates only losses for its parent company (not big ones, but still) as of the last year. :(
Something tells me GOG's descicion to cut expences on Linux is a vain attempt to rectify this.
Post edited October 06, 2018 by Alm888