It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

adamhm: ... unless they clearly announce plans to start supporting it.
Trilarion: They did now. After so many comments this thread can probably rest now. GOG finally listened to the customers and they long time wish.

As a first step they will provide Linux versions for a hundred games DosBox, ScummVM, Native clients in fall 2014 supporting Ubuntu and Mint.

http://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_soon_on_more_platforms
Fuuuuck YEAAAAA! ;d

Thanks for the update.
Post edited March 18, 2014 by simon_vd
Trilarion: They did now. After so many comments this thread can probably rest now. GOG finally listened to the customers and their long time wish.

...../ )
.....' /
---' (_____
......... ((__)
..... _ ((___)
....... -'((__)
--.___((_)

Fantastic news!
I salute them for their decision.
That's really great news, I have to admit that I was absolutely sure that this would never happen.
Kudos, Gog.
Finally!
Although the move to support Ubuntu/Mint specifically seems a bit weird to me. Surely it would make more sense to use generic FatELFs as Icculus has repeatedly suggested?

Also, it will be interesting to see what games will get Linux support. Obviously most/all DOSBox and ScummVM titles.
All the modern indie released with existing Linux ports also seem pretty sure.
Then we get to older ports, such as the Loki Software games (did the publishers keep the rights to the ports, or did the guys at Loki?), this will decide whether or not we should expect Heroes 3 and Alpha Centauri for Linux.
Then there's the RuneSoft ports, which it seems like RuneSoft have kept the rights to. These include Jack Keane, which is why only the Linux version is available on Desura.
Less likely are the ports with less official support, such as Unreal Tournament, Serious Sam and Neverwinter Nights...
And finally there's CD Projekt Red's own games; The Witcher 1-3 and Cyberpunk 2077.
adamhm: ... unless they clearly announce plans to start supporting it.
Trilarion: They did now. After so many comments this thread can probably rest now. GOG finally listened to the customers and their long time wish.

As a first step they will provide Linux versions for a hundred games DosBox, ScummVM, Native clients in fall 2014 supporting Ubuntu and Mint.

I suspect the main reason they aren't doing it now is they need time to train staff and figure out what adjustments they need to make to their QA process.

I think they'll find that in many cases it's not really any extra work to add support. Especially for DOSbox games and ones released that have an official Linux version.
Duffadash: Finally!
Although the move to support Ubuntu/Mint specifically seems a bit weird to me. Surely it would make more sense to use generic FatELFs as Icculus has repeatedly suggested?

Also, it will be interesting to see what games will get Linux support. Obviously most/all DOSBox and ScummVM titles.
All the modern indie released with existing Linux ports also seem pretty sure.
Then we get to older ports, such as the Loki Software games (did the publishers keep the rights to the ports, or did the guys at Loki?), this will decide whether or not we should expect Heroes 3 and Alpha Centauri for Linux.
Then there's the RuneSoft ports, which it seems like RuneSoft have kept the rights to. These include Jack Keane, which is why only the Linux version is available on Desura.
Less likely are the ports with less official support, such as Unreal Tournament, Serious Sam and Neverwinter Nights...
And finally there's CD Projekt Red's own games; The Witcher 1-3 and Cyberpunk 2077.
Anything that Loki has would have been either returned to the publisher or sold in bankruptcy court to pay whatever debts remained when they went under.

Whether or not the publishers bothered to keep the files is definitely something to wonder about. The industry does a crappy job of retaining things that aren't immediately profitable.
Post edited March 18, 2014 by hedwards
YEEAAAHHHH!!!!! Now I can buy (again) my games in GOG.

Great News!
AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!
2015 will be the year of Linux on the desktop!
ChrisSD: 2015 will be the year of Linux on the desktop!
Just like every year since 2003 were going to be? :-P
Post edited March 18, 2014 by Maighstir
Maighstir: Just like every year since 2003 were going to be? :-P
+12! :)
21st century will be the century of Linux on the desktop!
For those interested in Witcher 3 on Linux, see the dedicated thread:
https://secure.gog.com/forum/general/to_cd_projekt_red_bring_witcher_3_and_your_other_games_to_linux_please
Pretty much. It would have happened sooner, but ideology got in the way of sanity. Why it is that they insist upon using hundreds of independent pieces of software that all have to be kept upgraded along with all the userland bits of programming is beyond me.

Still it's generally more reliable than that Windows crap, so who knows.
hedwards: Pretty much. It would have happened sooner, but ideology got in the way of sanity. Why it is that they insist upon using hundreds of independent pieces of software that all have to be kept upgraded along with all the userland bits of programming is beyond me.

Same reason Linux has the strengths it does.

They're generally unwilling to lock in bad designs and get stuck doing legacy support for them, so they force you to come up with your own solution to the hard problems they still haven't solved... and the ones mucked up by politics, of course.
hedwards: Pretty much. It would have happened sooner, but ideology got in the way of sanity. Why it is that they insist upon using hundreds of independent pieces of software that all have to be kept upgraded along with all the userland bits of programming is beyond me.

ssokolow: Same reason Linux has the strengths it does.

They're generally unwilling to lock in bad designs and get stuck doing legacy support for them, so they force you to come up with your own solution to the hard problems they still haven't solved... and the ones mucked up by politics, of course.
Welllllll..... I would call the unix/posix focus in the current linux ecosystem a lock-in too.... for good luck finally some developers trying now to get beyond this limitations (Poettering)... also Torvalds expressed several times his discomfort with the excessive legacy standard idolizing of posix. Also, the X-org based graphic stack is VERY legacy and a burden and needs to go away. I would call also the distro focussed infrastructure a legacy burden and architectural lock-in which needs to be overcome, etc.

PS: congratulation to GOG for taking the brave step in direction of a free and open source platform. :)