It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

shmerl: I think it is fair to say - buy DRM free games elsewhere if you are getting native Linux versions. If GOG cares about Linux users, they should stop ignoring them. If they don't care, then they are indifferent to Linux users buying elsewhere as well.
What makes you assume they're just ignoring Linux users all together? not saying they are or are not because no one but GOG staff really know what is going on, which is the point it's just a assumption based on lack of feedback on what their plans are but that is typical of any company really. Yes it wouldn't hurt to say "hey guys we know you are interested in seeing us support linux and we are looking into it" but as soon as that is said people will be hounding them for more info after sometime has past or worse yet they are unable to do it(look don't use that last part as anything more than a example of a worse case scenerio), in other words it is a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation so often the best course is not to say anything, yes you're still pissing people off but not to the extent that will happen if something was said especially anything related to them supporting linux followed by nothing.

in short It's just better to make a announcement or at least say something when you actually have something or if you know it's never going to happen.
Post edited January 13, 2014 by DCT
It is not a lack of communication from GOG, it is just the opposite. They have been commendably open and forthcoming about the fact that Linux support is not to expected for the foreseeable future. The natural reaction to tthat is to buy games with Linux versions elsewhere(like Steam, Humble Bundle, Desura and the websites of various development studios and/or publishers).
Huinehtar: I don't think it's fair to loudly advertise in something like: "Hey Linux users! Stop buying your games here, go buying your games [in another store]!!!"

Yes, I know that there are already other threads about deals, but not necessarily about games already available here.

I don't think that it would be a good idea regarding the linux community.
If people don't want to purchase here, well, they can go outside. But aggressive advertising?

My 2 cents.
Wow! Are you for real?!

Telling linux users that they can get native, DRM free version of games, which also happen to be in the GoG catalogue (for other, incompatible, platforms) from somewhere else is "aggressive advertising"?!

Read this bolded text: GOG does not sell copies of Linux binaries.

You can't even make the case about the other guys being competitors to GOG on the Linux platform because they are not. Another way to put it is that GoG can't make the claim that they lost a sale due to this "aggressive advertising" because they simply don't sell the same merchandise the others are selling. Not on Linux.

Where the hell does all this zealotry come from?
GOG doesn't sell potatoes or Ferrari's. If you want a Potato or a Ferrari you go elsewhere to buy them. GOG doesn't include Linux versions of any of their games. If you want the Linux versions you go elsewhere. That is it. A very simple concept.
Not related to GOG supporting Linux but please do take a look!
shmerl: I think it is fair to say - buy DRM free games elsewhere if you are getting native Linux versions. If GOG cares about Linux users, they should stop ignoring them. If they don't care, then they are indifferent to Linux users buying elsewhere as well.
DCT: What makes you assume they're just ignoring Linux users all together?
Unreasonable time it takes them to produce a method for offering long term support. The only conclusion that comes to mind - they stopped working on finding such solution, or at least stopped actively working, which equals to dismissing Linux users. I think one year is way more than enough to find a solution for such issue if you actively work on finding one. If you aren't actively working, then no matter how long it takes, you won't find a solution unless someone offers it to you. Lack of feedback doesn't help to make this situation any clearer, and no, it's not something that should be encouraged.

And, to prevent misunderstanding, GOG never said they stopped working on finding such solution. So the lack of communication of any status updates and roadmaps is clearly obvious here.
Post edited January 13, 2014 by shmerl
Over the years I've bought a lot of games on gog I have some 70+ games here.
During the christmas sale however I came to the realisation that I shouldn't spend anymore money here, due to gog saying that they're not going to be supporting the OS I'm running on my machine any time soon.

I have had success playing windows games bought from gog through wine with and without playonlinux software. Recently though they updated their installers and many games wouldn't install anymore, that I've previously had success with.

So I've moved over to using other services instead, and won't be spending more money at gog until they actively try to support my platform of choice.
Installers had crashing issues with some versions of Wine, but that can be worked around if you run the installer with /nogui parameter. In many cases new installers worked for me just fine.

Recently I started using PlayOnLinux more. Not their predefined scripts for installation, but just the GUI for easier management of Wine versions and separation of virtual drives. I like how they create a separate virtual drive for each game, which makes customization and uninstallation much cleaner (if one of them gets broken, others aren't affected).
Post edited January 13, 2014 by shmerl
Huinehtar: I don't think it's fair to loudly advertise in something like: "Hey Linux users! Stop buying your games here, go buying your games [in another store]!!!"

Yes, I know that there are already other threads about deals, but not necessarily about games already available here.

I don't think that it would be a good idea regarding the linux community.
If people don't want to purchase here, well, they can go outside. But aggressive advertising?

My 2 cents.
As someone that has been repeatedly had because I didn't know a Linux version existed for something and ended up re-buying a game, I am all for it.

I also think it is very important to be able to openly have conversation about what is driving our business elsewhere, and to give some sense of how many of us there are.

I also think the fact that we can openly criticize GOG in a given area and be able to fully expect to not be banned, or retaliated against is something that makes me want to buy from GOG if they can provide a product I am interested in.
Post edited January 13, 2014 by gooberking
This is a somewhat round about reason I am becoming more invested in proper Linux support (from whomever is offering it), but I am becoming quite frustrated with Wine as of late. I'd be curious if others have any of the same feelings.

Game support for wine has gotten pretty good since 1.3. It's far from perfect, but the success rate is respectable, at least when compared to what things were like say 3-4 years ago. But in the same couple of years Wine has been maturing, Exclusive Xbox controller support in games has also been growing. I'm finding a large swath of games I would like to play actually work in wine quite well, but are unplayable with a controller (Valdis Story!). Xinput support is shoddy, and outside of a few hacks, there doesn't appear to be any serious momentum to address the issue properly.Or maybe I'm the only one that can't get it to work.

I also find running Steam to be an added layer of suck. There is the no font thing that isn't too bad to deal with, but one problem I keep having over the last year or so is not being able to get input focus on the actual game. Clicking about sometimes works (eventually) but often doesn't. I also suspect steam updates have borked prefixes on occasion. but then maybe that was all me.

I think wine is cool when it works, but it's rarely a substitute for a proper port.
DCT: What makes you assume they're just ignoring Linux users all together?
shmerl: Unreasonable time it takes them to produce a method for offering long term support. The only conclusion that comes to mind - they stopped working on finding such solution, or at least stopped actively working, which equals to dismissing Linux users. I think one year is way more than enough to find a solution for such issue if you actively work on finding one. If you aren't actively working, then no matter how long it takes, you won't find a solution unless someone offers it to you. Lack of feedback doesn't help to make this situation any clearer, and no, it's not something that should be encouraged.

And, to prevent misunderstanding, GOG never said they stopped working on finding such solution. So the lack of communication of any status updates and roadmaps is clearly obvious here.
So because they don't say anything every so often even a "no new developments to report but we are still looking in to it" to offer reassurance automatically means yeah it's never going to happen and not "well we have nothing new to say so were not going to say anything because what would be the point, plus the majority of people who use this site have told us they don't want that" not to mention there is also the whole backlash that can happen since people will start complaining "well why is it taking so long, seriously it shouldn't be so hard to get the ball rolling and start building a decent support base despite having no clue what goes on behind the scenes of your company and how things work there" god only knows I seen more then my fair share of that not only at my job but also in various forums and communities I been in, seriously if say Andrew Spinks who made terraria didn't post a update about 1.2's development every other week people got stupid same with NetherRealm and MK9 everytime a bug or a exploit was found and the devs went silent for awhile, even after saying it's being fixed people would automatically start saying "oh it's not getting fixed, they don't care anymore, yada, yada, duh"

again point is lack of a response does not always mean total abandonment but they have nothing new to report or that they can not say anything on the subject due to decisions from higher ups and when they feel they have something worth reporting they will, can it mean total abandonment yes all I am saying it does not always mean it. In this case no one but GOG knows if they are or aren't any anything you or I say is just pure speculation nothing more and nothing less and it's silly to jump to assumptions and act like that is the facts of the situation when we don't know squat.
Post edited January 14, 2014 by DCT
To anyone who disagree with me concerning that I think that making lists of games available here but also available in other stores with binaries is a bit too much:

I am not saying that we shouldn't discuss about where to buy Linux native games in waiting of GOG jumping in the Linux wagon. It has been discussed already here many many many times. And it will be until and after GOG support Linux (I hope so).

But what I am criticizing is to make comparative lists, here, on GOG's forum. I hope that people don't need to remember that we are discussing in a store's forum. Not a neutral place or website where we could freely compare and advertise every product ever made. GOG and their moderators are smart and nice enough to let us discuss about other stores and solutions. But as far as I know, there aren't so many store's forums where we can do that.

And I insist: it's not about discussing about choice and stores. But about making lists.
Should I go to Steam forums and make lists of every game released there but also available DRM-free in other stores, because, you know, Steam doesn't sell DRM-free games (and please, don't come with the 'DRM-free games on Steam' thread).
Should I make a topic here on GOG, just to post a list of every game available on GOG but also DRM'd with the "awesome" Steam's client, because GOG doesn't sell DRM'd games?
Or lists with every game available here, but also available on smartphones, tablets, and so on, just because GOG doesn't sell mobile games?

What is the purpose of making those lists? Isn't it to drive out people from a store? Saying that other solutions exist is a thing, making comparative lists is another one: I think it's too much.

I don't think I am a zealot or something.
Trilarion: It would probably be nice to have a list of games available on Humble Store DRM free and compatible with Linux and also available on GOG.
Yes and since Gog.com refuses to sell these products, it really can't be called aggressive advertising, because many would buy them here, if they were available, but they simply are not.

Strike Suit Zero
Race the Sun
Trine 1,2
Shadowgrounds
Shadowrun returns
Surgeon Simulator
Botanicula
Capsized
Machinarium
Worms
Legend of Grimrock
VVVVVV
Dust: An Elysian Tail
FTL
Don't Starve
Incredipede
Super Hexagon
Megabyte Punch
Ittle Dew
Torchlight
Psychonauts
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Shadowrun
Shadowrun Returns
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
Rogue Legacy
Waking Mars (Including Android)
Anodyne
Hammerwatch
FEZ
Hotline Miami

These are the ones I know of that already have DRM-free linux ports and are available here on gog for windoze.
Gog.com seems to shit on us Linux users and since I am one now and have given a lot of money to gog.com over the last year, I am honestly pissed about this behaviour.
These threads show, that we are not so few as some might think.

PS: I couldn't care less about Mac ports...and you get them elsewhere too.
Post edited January 14, 2014 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: Gog.com seems to shit on us Linux users
No dude, linux shits on gog by being so hard to support for external ISVs/distributors. That's the heritage of a decade of fear driven "commercial (binary) software could destroy linux!" architectural decisions in the linux ecosystem.

Also, don't mix "released" with "supported". Infact, several of the mentioned titles are or were in pretty bad shape, for instance the infamous "where is my head?" torchlight linux port (took them 1 year?) or persisting mouse cursor issues in Legend of grimrock.
DCT: not to mention there is also the whole backlash that can happen since people will start complaining "well why is it taking so long, seriously it shouldn't be so hard to get the ball rolling
Are you joking? This is exactly what's happening. It's not like GOG has to worry that Linux users will be upset. Linux users already are, because of exactly that - it takes GOG way too long.
Post edited January 14, 2014 by shmerl