It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MartiusR: [...]
Sad thing is, that I think that I was finally capable of feeling more "compassion" and understanding for his lacks, long after I've completely lost contact with this person. Partially because I had time to consider what has happened back then and that it was bad, but still, it's all "after the fact".
Thank you for elaborating more.

Like I said I'm not condemning you (after all I didn't fare any better in my "trials" involving such encounters). :)
Unfortunately, such clarity often comes when the tie to act has long since gone.
I've often had "inner debates" with myself about things I should have done differently, even if they were completely unimportant and any other involved party completely forgot they ever happened.
Most often such reflections will do no more than make you feel down.

I'm no stranger to shyness either.
It's easier if I'm with someone I know, then I can be distracted by the known person and thus animated, but if I'm on my own it often takes a couple minutes of courage gathering before I work up the nerve to talk to a stranger (having strategically chosen a moment when they're not occupied and having thoroughly "rehearsed" what I'm going to say in my head beforehand).

If I'm out on a walk alone, I'll keep a score of how many pets I've managed to greet since I won't talk to people (sometimes it's quite an art pulling it off without alerting their owners) - we're talking about a simple "hi" here, I won't engage a pet with physical touch without the owner's permission since they know the animal and will let me know if it's fond of such attention or not. XD
W3irdN3rd: [...]
Wolfy777: "[...] you are crazy, and probably racist."
I've been told two sets of concepts have very thin lines between them - 1 bravery and foolishness, 2 madness and brilliance.
I'll let people decide where on those spectrums they want to place me, but I can guarantee I'll try my very best to remain a kind, humorous and honest to a fault weirdo. :)
W3irdN3rd: I know people who are somewhat like you. You started this thread and rather quickly invoked the concept of racism. Nobody asked you to. You also included a fallacy in your "good" example:
Wolfy777: Good: "I dislike white people because they oppress people of other races."
W3irdN3rd: This makes no sense. You think racism is just a white thing? Nope. Ironically, racism doesn't discriminate. If you bring up racism in conversations more often when that's not the topic (and I suspect you do), people will probably assume you have some opinion which you actually don't have.
My thanks for explaining all that. :)
Now to address these two parts.

"somewhat like you", I'm intrigued.

"You think racism is just a white thing?"
I've no such illusions.
I realize racism can be aimed form any race group towards another or on the level of individuals.
If people want to hate others they will find an excuse to do so and the excuse can be anything - physical appearance, religion or other identity pieces or even something as small as quirks or odd behavior.

Like I've explained in the opening post, the only reason why I invoked racism is because it's easy to imagine and because I was unable to think of better examples at the time.
I realize picking examples involving autism would have been closer to the topic itself, but I couldn't think of any examples to illustrate my point.
I also know the underlying possibility of offending anyone would be equally present if I chose religion or something else that plays a big role in people's lives.
If I've offended you or anyone else I apologize, that wasn't my intention.
As explained in the opening post, the examples are merely examples and do not reflect my opinon.
The content may be ill chosen, but I was focused on making the examples as easy to imagine and clear-cut as possible while focusing on the difference in their form if they were to be compared side by side.

Put very plainly what I wanted to tell people by that section of QA was "I will not shun negative opinions as long as they are argumented and not just insults."
I wanted to get people to back up their statements with arguments, no more no less.
Post edited October 03, 2018 by Wolfy777
Wolfy777: Point 2:
One of the reasons I avoid political topics at all cost.
dtgreene: One problem comes up if people start considering your identity to be political.

What will you do if people start deciding that autism is a political topic? Will you simply stop having discussions like this one?
I'm not sure I follow what you meant by "autism becoming a political topic".
Probably something more than people going "You hold opinion X and therefore belong to political camp Y."

I'll try to answer your question nonetheless.
"Will you simply stop having discussions like this one?"
Honestly, it will depend on the particular case if/when I come across it.

If it's an existing debate I didn't open, I'd make sure to check two things:

1 If it's a minefield where people are more prone to argue than discuss.

I'm not sure how influenced I get by this in a text-only environment, but I know it weighs heavily on me in RL.
I find it very difficult to endure witnessing people fighting, especially if they're loud.
It's like a curtain of oppressive air weighing down on me that I can't shake off.
Depending on the case I can even get my stomach tied in knots and feel sick or start shaking, cry in the worst case scenario.
I go into "panic mode" when I take one of two options, get the Hell out of there or do everything I can to stop the argument.
It's due to this instinctive reaction I always without fail know I will misread a "loud exchange of opinions" as a fight every single time in RL.

2 If people are willing to listen.

Hopefully, I'd be able to tell that much before joining the talk.
If all people want to is to hear you, but not listen to you, your effort is as good as wasted.

If I started the discussion, I'd try to politely ask people to leave politics at the door and discuss the issue/topic itself as civilly as possible - I might go for the same QA format since it worked so well here.
However, I'm aware I'm just a regular user and can't per say force people to follow any rules I try to set unlike moderators can.
I'd still try to keep myself updated on the thread as I'd feel responsible for it as it's opener (clumsily put, but you get the point).

I've probabaly missed waht you meant, but I hope I've still managed to answer at least somewhat.
BleepBl00p: Is this thread related to the website redesign?
I'd say yes:

Autism = Problem with change = New design is bad
Wolfy777: I'm not sure I follow what you meant by "autism becoming a political topic".
I'm thinking along the lines of:
* Any discussion of sexism in games on a forum like this tends to be treated by many people as political.
* If someone were to post news of some notable figure undergoing gender transition, many people would treat it as political (even if the person in question isn't a political figure).

Also, see what happens in discussions about race here.

Even though, in many cases, the topic *shouldn't* be political, sometimes people like to treat it as such.

(There's a double standard here; men's issues aren't generally considered political, but women's generally are.)
Wolfy777: I'm not sure I follow what you meant by "autism becoming a political topic".
dtgreene: [...]

Even though, in many cases, the topic *shouldn't* be political, sometimes people like to treat it as such.
Hm, let's see if I'm closer to understanding your point.
So akin to how this thread started about a series' acting role and finished with Jews and got locked?
Link: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/netflix_is_specifically_casting_a_minority_as_ciri
dtgreene: [...]

Wolfy777: Hm, let's see if I'm closer to understanding your point.
So akin to how this thread started about a series' acting role and finished with Jews and got locked?
Link: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/netflix_is_specifically_casting_a_minority_as_ciri
I would say specifically the early part of the thread. Just looking at it, I noticed that there are many "high rated" posts that I have downrepped, which does say something about the GOG userbase.

It actually bothers me that we can't talk about that sort of thing on this forum.

(It also doesn't help that the initial post of the topic takes a negative attitude towards what should be seen as a positive thing.)

Imagine if that happened every time you tried to talk about autism (in particular, if that had happened to *this* thread).
Wolfy777: Hm, let's see if I'm closer to understanding your point.
dtgreene: I would say specifically the early part of the thread. Just looking at it, I noticed that there are many "high rated" posts that I have downrepped, which does say something about the GOG userbase.
[...]
Good to know I'm on the right track at the very least. :)
I'd pick talking about an issue over downvoting people (I try to avoid it as much as possible).
Unless it's a clear situation of wasted effort to try and talk to the already convinced (a "they hear, but don't listen" situation).

P.S. I'll take a deeper look at the thread later today.
low rated
dtgreene: I'm thinking along the lines of:
* Any discussion of sexism in games on a forum like this tends to be treated by many people as political.
* If someone were to post news of some notable figure undergoing gender transition, many people would treat it as political (even if the person in question isn't a political figure).

(There's a double standard here; men's issues aren't generally considered political, but women's generally are.)
"There's a double standard here; men's issues aren't generally considered." That's the double standard.

Being a SJW proves too much for an autistic professor in his last article before his suicide.
Assuming I did not botch the task, by the time this posts I will have been dead via suicide for several hours. Nope, that’s not a setup to a joke.[1]

Why would someone who is healthy, employed, has every outside appearance of success, and so on, take their own life? In my case the answer is simple enough: I was done, but my body wasn’t. But that answer isn’t satisfying, so, for those who are aggrieved, upset, saddened, etc., let me do my best to try to explain.
https://willopines.wordpress.com/2017/04/19/punched-out/
low rated
Oh blow it out your ass Spectre.

You can't think of anything better to do, you need to resurrect a two month dead thread just to start some crap.

You found that article and I just know your dick got hard. You thought, "I'm gonna take this link and I'm gonna take my meaningless stupid fucking flame bait catch phrase, and I'm gonna show all those losers who's boss!"

And don't you feel so high and mighty now.
Post edited December 23, 2018 by tinyE
tinyE: Oh blow it out your ass Spectre.

You can't think of anything better to do, you need to resurrect a two month dead thread just to start some crap.

You found that article and I just know your dick got hard. You thought, "I'm gonna take this link and I'm gonna take my meaningless stupid fucking flame bait catch phrase, and I'm gonna show all those losers who's boss!"

And don't you feel so high and mighty now.
That's funny, your rant just covered about 95% of your posts here on this forum. The other 5% of course being posts declaring your hatred for your family.
Please stop. This thread worried me when it started that it would devolve into stereotyping and hate, but it pleased me to see that we managed to have a mostly positive conversation with few if any "trolling" posts.

I don't care who started it, please don't continue it here. Start a new thread if you're so concerned with saying something.
Some sources are claiming that deficits in the cerebellum are responsible for some autism and a test based on eye movement can indicate that.
Neuroscientists at the University of Rochester have masterminded a rapid eye movement test that can detect abnormalities in the cerebellum that also appear to be a marker for certain autism spectrum disorders (ASD). Their paper, "Eye Movements, Sensorimotor Adaptation and Cerebellar-Dependent Learning in Autism: Toward Potential Biomarkers and Subphenotypes," was published online July 12 in the European Journal of Neuroscience.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/the-athletes-way/201707/the-new-science-using-eye-movements-test-autism
What Is the Link Between Purkinje Cells, Eye Movements, and Autism?
Petr Novak/Wikimedia Commons
Source: Petr Novak/Wikimedia Commons

Recently, there has been a groundswell of research linking Purkinje cells, the cerebellum, and autism spectrum disorders (ASD). The recent findings by Herzfeld et al add to a growing body of evidence that potentially correlates abnormalities of Purkinje cells with autism. Although the recent study by Herzfeld doesn't refer to autism specifically, the latest findings on the role of Purkinje cells in controlling eye movements supports previous research linking the eye movements, the cerebellum, and autism.

In autism spectrum disorders, the brain consistently shows defects in Purkinje cells, which have a single axon that projects from the cerebellum and creates connectivity from the cerebellum to most other brain regions. Previous research has found cerebellar dysfunction in people with ASD through postmortem studies of brain samples that showed loss of Purkinje cell volume. Over the past few years, a variety of studies have confirmed this phenomenon in the majority of autistic brains.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/the-athletes-way/201510/neuroscientists-decrypt-the-mystery-rapid-eye-movements

tinyE: You found that article and I just know your dick got hard.
I hope you at least read the article instead of thinking about other posters erections.
...and a partridge in a pear treeeeeeeeeeeee!
Breja: ...and a partridge in a pear treeeeeeeeeeeee!
What the hell happened to the other 11 days?