It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Strijkbout: Okay, for anyone not interested, I'm not autistic according to the shrinks, I'm just a regular asshole, yay.....
As for my problems they're caused later in my life and I wasn't born with it.
Remedy pending....
I wish you luck in the treatment you pursue.

I hope you're not viewing this as a disapointment. While people here are speaking positively about autism, it's not a bad thing you don't have it. I'm going to guess that they suggested a course of Cognative Behavioural Therapy. I've heard really positive things about this treatment, maybe it will be what you need and help you immensely. I know several people that considered this treatment life changing.
Well most people use the word ''autism'' has an insult wich makes me think that they look at them as insults to the world wich is pretty sad not going to lie but, there are some people that understand autism and how difficult it is to go trough it and have a normal life, honestly, me i dont think that its an insult but a compliment.
Wolfy777: "What do people outside of the autistic spectrum think of autistic people?"

I'm hoping to get opinions here.
"I was wondering what frightened little girls think about autism, that's why I came to a Hells Angels meeting. So, what do y'all think?"

Autism comes in a million different shapes and sizes. This question is like "what do people think about food?".

People who do not think like you think you are crazy, and probably racist. That's all you really need to know. If you want to change that, never speak again. People will still think you're crazy, but they will think you're savant-crazy instead of racist-crazy. Learning to play the piano helps as a convincer.

Fine print: unless otherwise indicated, to the extent possible, this Text is provided as-is and as-available, and makes no representations or warranties of any kind concerning the Text, whether express, implied, statutory, or other. This includes, without limitation, warranties of title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, absence of latent or other defects, accuracy, or the presence or absence of errors, whether or not known or discoverable. YMMV.
Post edited October 03, 2018 by W3irdN3rd
Okay I've read that last post over ten times. I still don't have a fuckin' clue what he's talking about. :P
Pronounce: Well most people use the word ''autism'' has an insult wich makes me think that they look at them as insults to the world wich is pretty sad not going to lie but, there are some people that understand autism and how difficult it is to go trough it and have a normal life, honestly, me i dont think that its an insult but a compliment.
I really don't think it's most people who use that word as in insult; it's just that you notice the times it is used as an insult but don't notice the times that it *isn't* used. Our brains tend to pay more attention to less common and more alarming cases than they do to more typical and harmless cases.

(By the way, you twice wrote the non-word "wich"; I think you meant to say "which" (not "witch", which is something entirely different) instead.)

(Also, "dont" should be "don't"; an apostrohpe is needed there.)
Is this thread related to the website redesign? I dont think its fair to compare these things honestly.
tinyE: Okay I've read that last post over ten times. I still don't have a fuckin' clue what he's talking about. :P
*looks at checklist*

*quietly ticks a few boxes*
Pronounce: Well most people use the word ''autism'' has an insult wich makes me think that they look at them as insults to the world wich is pretty sad not going to lie but, there are some people that understand autism and how difficult it is to go trough it and have a normal life, honestly, me i dont think that its an insult but a compliment.
dtgreene: I really don't think it's most people who use that word as in insult; it's just that you notice the times it is used as an insult but don't notice the times that it *isn't* used. Our brains tend to pay more attention to less common and more alarming cases than they do to more typical and harmless cases.

(By the way, you twice wrote the non-word "wich"; I think you meant to say "which" (not "witch", which is something entirely different) instead.)

(Also, "dont" should be "don't"; an apostrohpe is needed there.)
Wich is a perfectly normal word. It's a saltworks or salt-producing town. It can also be an (old) spelling of "wick" or a form of a German verb (weichen, to wane). I know Pronounce didn't mean any of those things.
Autism, Texas. God, I hate that town.
Strijkbout: Okay, for anyone not interested, I'm not autistic according to the shrinks, I'm just a regular asshole, yay.....
Remedy pending....
Wolfy777: I like the "not interested" part as a small, but clever word play. ;)

Either way, I hope things work out for you. :)
Remedy pending....
wpegg: I wish you luck in the treatment you pursue.

I hope you're not viewing this as a disapointment. While people here are speaking positively about autism, it's not a bad thing you don't have it. I'm going to guess that they suggested a course of Cognative Behavioural Therapy. I've heard really positive things about this treatment, maybe it will be what you need and help you immensely. I know several people that considered this treatment life changing.
Thanks for the kind words!
The dissappointment isn't so much that I'm not autistic but it more feels I'm back to square one regarding the cause of my problems.
Indeed they suggested some form of cognitive therapy for me, but hey will get back to me about that.
Hoo... Boy let me explain

Autism ≠ Aspergers

there are two versions

Kanner's (lowest functioning)

Asperger's (Highest functioning)

The Spectrum you are all seeing is that person with the autism's, PERSONALITY SPECTRUM

it is the persons personality that brings about certain autistic traits, You know you can't prove me wrong!
Wolfy777: "What do people outside of the autistic spectrum think of autistic people?"

I'm hoping to get opinions here.
W3irdN3rd: <snip>
I'll go with manual quoting instead.

There are so many things I don't get in this post. XD

"I was wondering what frightened little girls think about autism, that's why I came to a Hells Angels meeting.
So, what do y'all think?"

Nope, no clue whatsoever what the quote is referring to.
Unless you're comparing users that have nicely participated in the discussion to "frightened little girls"?
If that's the case I'll politely ask you, not to insult people.

Autism comes in a million different shapes and sizes. This question is like "what do people think about food?".

So we agree it's an interesting topic and a very wide spectrum, good to know. :P

People who do not think like you think you are crazy, and probably racist. That's all you really need to know.
If you want to change that, never speak again. People will still think you're crazy, but they will think you're savant-
crazy instead of racist-crazy.
Learning to play the piano helps as a convincer.

Ah, the most interesting part.
First, what's the scope of the "you" here?
Me or any autistic person?
Seeing you're replying to me instead of making a new post on its own I'll go with the "me" interpretation.

"People who do not think like you" Hm, I see two possibilities here.
A: "People who do not think"
As someone who can never completely empty her mind, I'm surprised there are people capable of such a feat.
B: "People who do not think like you"
I imagine that's a lot of people. I hold the opinion that not two people really think completely alike given we are all shaped differently by our experiences and a multitude of other factors.

"[...] you are crazy, and probably racist."
I've been told two sets of concepts have very thin lines between them - 1 bravery and foolishness, 2 madness and brilliance.
I'll let people decide where on those spectrums they want to place me, but I can guarantee I'll try my very best to remain a kind, humorous and honest to a fault weirdo. :)
If I've ever offended anyone with those qualities now in the past, or if I do so in the future, they have my humble apologies.
If it's a matter of language, please note that English isn't my mother tongue and I'm likely to unintentionally misuse it on occasion, no matter how much I study it or try to prevent such mistakes.
There's not turning the fact that I wasn't born into it.

"That's all you really need to know."
Given the vast reaches of my curiosity, I beg to differ. ;)

"If you want to change that, never speak again."
Duly noted, but given my right of free speech also disregarded. :P

"Learning to play the piano helps as a convincer."
Thanks for the advice, but I've never had even the slightest talent for music, so for the good of people's ears I'll avoid anything as complex as a piano even if I ever do venture to explore instrument territory.

[...] YMMV.

Hm, according to Google YMMV stands for "your mileage may vary". My thanks for introducing me to a new acronym. :D *knowledge database +1*
BleepBl00p: Is this thread related to the website redesign? I dont think its fair to compare these things honestly.
No.
Try these instead.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/anyone_disliking_the_new_gog

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/new_ui_a_deeper_look

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_news_page_on_the_front

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/what_happened_to_gog_1
Post edited October 03, 2018 by Wolfy777
Actually, I think describing autism as a spectrum might be over-simplification.

Here's a possible model that I don't think is accurate:
Let a person's degree of autism be on a scale of 0 to 1, including all real numbers in-between.
Lower numbers are low functioning; a 0 on the scale might mean not functioning at all, whatever that means.
Higher numbers are high functioning; 1 one might mean perfectly functional, or perhaps not autistic at all.
The idea would be that every autistic person would fit on this scale (there's room for everyone to have a unique point, as there are uncountably many real numbers in this range).

My claim is that the model I proposed above is not accurate; that you can't just put the degree on a scale like that and order people by their degree of autism. In other words, for this to work, the scale would have to be 2 dimensional (or higher) and/or include things like complex numbers.
@Wolfy777 - I understand why you wish to avoid those "political topics", but I forgot to mention, that we were studying political science - and we were "extremely politicated" group of students, even such things as who had friendship with who (or not) were (partially, but strongly) influenced by political beliefs. Leftists really liked their "own" company, but not too much of company of those from "different side". And NOT vice versa, because the "rightists" have sometimes break those divisions. But it was generally strongly influenced by beliefs.

I admit that I rather didn't stand "openly" in defense of mentioned colleague partially because of my utter shy character (now I'm a bit better than years ago, but still). And yeah, sadly, partially also because I found him as conformist in terms of political beliefs, which made some "distance" between us. And that he was a bit rude to other persons, even those more gentle to him, which wasn't making more "cordial" approach to him easy.

Sad thing is, that I think that I was finally capable of feeling more "compassion" and understanding for his lacks, long after I've completely lost contact with this person. Partially because I had time to consider what has happened back then and that it was bad, but still, it's all "after the fact".
Post edited October 03, 2018 by MartiusR
Wolfy777: Point 2:
One of the reasons I avoid political topics at all cost.
One problem comes up if people start considering your identity to be political.

What will you do if people start deciding that autism is a political topic? Will you simply stop having discussions like this one? (I've already seen this happen with respect to gender identity, and it's rather frustrating that we can't have a discussion about that here without it being derailed with tons of toxic posts, with moderators having to step in and lock the topic.)

I wouldn't be surprised if autism becomes a political issue in the near future. (We're already seeing terms liie "autist" being used as insults the way "gay" was some years ago.)
W3irdN3rd: <snip>
Wolfy777: I'll go with manual quoting instead.

There are so many things I don't get in this post. XD

"I was wondering what frightened little girls think about autism, that's why I came to a Hells Angels meeting.
So, what do y'all think?"

Nope, no clue whatsoever what the quote is referring to.
Unless you're comparing users that have nicely participated in the discussion to "frightened little girls"?
If that's the case I'll politely ask you, not to insult people.
No. While not generally recommended, I'll explain the joke.

If you wish to know the opinion of frightened little girls, you shouldn't ask at a Hell Angels meeting. There will be no frightened little girls there.

You are seeking the opinion of "people outside of the autistic spectrum". Any forum related to technology or video games is not ideal to find those people.

Wolfy777: Ah, the most interesting part.
First, what's the scope of the "you" here?
Me or any autistic person?
Seeing you're replying to me instead of making a new post on its own I'll go with the "me" interpretation.
Yes.

Wolfy777: "People who do not think like you" Hm, I see two possibilities here.
A: "People who do not think"
As someone who can never completely empty her mind, I'm surprised there are people capable of such a feat.
B: "People who do not think like you"
I imagine that's a lot of people. I hold the opinion that not two people really think completely alike given we are all shaped differently by our experiences and a multitude of other factors.
Option B.

Wolfy777: "[...] you are crazy, and probably racist."
I've been told two sets of concepts have very thin lines between them - 1 bravery and foolishness, 2 madness and brilliance.
I'll let people decide where on those spectrums they want to place me, but I can guarantee I'll try my very best to remain a kind, humorous and honest to a fault weirdo. :)
I know people who are somewhat like you. You started this thread and rather quickly invoked the concept of racism. Nobody asked you to. You also included a fallacy in your "good" example:
Wolfy777: Good: "I dislike white people because they oppress people of other races."
This makes no sense. You think racism is just a white thing? Nope. Ironically, racism doesn't discriminate. If you bring up racism in conversations more often when that's not the topic (and I suspect you do), people will probably assume you have some opinion which you actually don't have.
Post edited October 03, 2018 by W3irdN3rd