It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Firstly, allow me to thank you, Judas, for finally creating a GOG-approved thread to address forum issues. I know this is not a pleasant subject and frankly, I think we'd all be happier enjoying ourselves by talking about games, giving and getting games and generally enjoying one of the nicest gaming forums ever to grace the internet....

However, I am really tired of the bullying tactics that one or a few have visited upon this forum in the past six months. Let's just call it what it is "Bullying of forum members so that the affected members stop feeling like they can post a gift, take a gift, start a giveaway, thank someone, post an answer to someone's question, and well practically post anything whatsoever." This form of extreme censorship is happening every single day. Many of you may not even notice it...for whatever reason you have managed to escape the bully's notice or you really do not pay attention to your rep - but this is NOT about rep per se, although that is method the bully is using to silence, upset and/or harm many active members of this forum.

See I feel as if GOG gave me a way to measure my success or failure (YMMV in how you view rep). I suspect that most people feel this way. “ Hey, I posted daily in some form or fashion; helped a fellow gamer with a problem; posted a thread about a cool new game; gave a gift to someone on their birthday or just because I had an extra I was never going to play; joked around and made a connection with another person... and gee, I got rep for taking the time to make this a better place.” It is a positive feedback loop that you, GOG, created to help this forum be a self-regulating, self-moderating forum. So rep does matter or you, GOG, would not have implemented such a system in the first place.

Today I finally got an actual response from Natalia in support. In my previous two messages and in my current post to support, I did not ask for a response - I simply asked that GOG become aware that the system GOG put in place to regulate the forum is broken. Because it is broken when one or a few bullies can actively discourage participation by even the nicest, kindest and most generous members. (Yes, I do count myself as one of those members because this forum truly matters to me. The past year has found me desperately trying to find a job, finish college at a very late age and overcome some personal issues - and this forum has been a pleasant diversion for me to enjoy being nice to many, many people and to make some pretty close friendships to boot). So to receive such a patronizing response when my intent was to help solve an issue that affects not only the members being down-repped by a bully but also ultimately GOG’s bottom line, was for GOG to completely miss the intent of my support ticket.

The point, in case you, dear reader or GOG missed it is this. We have a bully or several attacking this forum. The intent of the bully is to actively discourage forum members from contributing and ultimately to leave the forum altogether. This effectively means that the forum becomes a less friendly place to hang out, makes it less likely for purchases to be made by active members, new members or even just casual visitors and that affects GOG’s bottom line. Less money in GOG’s coffers makes it less likely that GOG can spend the money necessary to fix the website and the forum mechanisms (and the rep system put in place over five years ago). I don’t need to spell out the death spiral, do I? Throw in some ill-conceived ideas about increasing revenue by adding DRM titles, an out-dated payment system, and a whole slew of other antiquated web services and well I give GOG, at best, another five years before we, who are slowly building a big library of games here, see the doors shut.

So yeah, time to grow up GOG. The bully problem is just indicative that you’ve crossed over a major threshold – this is no longer some small community that you can basically trust to self-police the forums all by itself without some back-end support. You need to take an active role in managing the medium and you need to do it sooner rather than later.

Momo two cents added and hey, the soapbox is now available for the next poster ;-p
Post edited April 18, 2014 by Momo1991
The rep system is being abused to the point where people lose maximum rep per day ad infinitum. It doesn't stop.

Instead of being moderated by Blues we get thought-policed by lurkers and scalliwags who get a kick out of negative repping a person who is giving something out of the kindness of their hearts, or a person who perhaps is down on their luck and would really love that particular new game.

These jerks behind this mayhem of what the rep system has turned into have no consideration for the greater good of the forums.

If you must keep the negative rep feature, make it public who's negatively repped a person, and make rating posts tied into IP addresses. If they're going through the trouble of having multiple accounts to negatively rep those of us who have done what we could to make the forums a decent place, make them work for it at least.

I'm so disgusted with what's been going on around here ever since the holiday season that I'm literally only coming out of hiding to let you know so, Judas. New members are driven away, old members are driven away, there's this secret society (well in truth it's probably 2-3 pre-teens with multiple accounts, but that's just my speculation) that have abused the rep system to the point where people I know historically that have never cared about it, are asking you to at least remove the negative rep button. That should count for something.

I know me personally, I'm not giving away my blood sweat and tears to anybody on this forum anymore until this stuff gets resolved.

I'd also really REALLY love to be able to lock my own threads. People keep posting in a thread I wanted deleted several months ago, and I keep getting negatively repped for a non-controversial post in it.

To sum it up, I'm not too keen on the thought policing that is being done on here, and I'm disgusted knowing that someone out there is getting their kicks by hurting people's egos. When someone first comes to the forums, and I've seen it happen more times than not, they end up not knowing Secret Rule #42 and get negatively repped, and never come back. That has to be bad for business, Judas.
DeMignon: I'm pretty sure, the workload is easy to handle and there aren't many abusers. Stop them and the rep system will do it's job again.
This ^. The rep system isn't the problem, but the person/persons/group/groups need to be dealt similiar to how spammers are. I also liked Sachys' suggestion for giveaways.

Additionally:

-View your own post history by date.
Particularly useful when you are trying to find a post in the sub-forums you made in the past week, but have no idea which forum it was posted in.

-First unread post
-Post preview
-Better search
-Mark forums read
-Spoiler tags
Post edited April 19, 2014 by Gydion
I think showing how many new posts have been made since last viewing a thread, with the option to jump to the newest unread message would be nice.

Maybe it's just me but I'd also prefer a more specific "Posted on" indication on posts. "Posted Yesterday" and "Posted 7 hours ago" are kind of vague, and I think if it showed an actual time adjusted for a user's timezone it would be nicer.

As for uprepping and downrepping, I think when you click on either of them, a comment box where you must write the reason for which you rep'd them could be nice. The user would then get a little message saying why they got whatever rep and from who. It would cut down on lame anonymous negative-rep spamming and would hopefully put an end to the "who downrepped me" topics and posts. Or rep could just be removed entirely. Either one would fix the problem.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_the_update_and_version_informations_on_gogcom_are_horrible/post1

too tired to comb through the thread today and see if its already posted in here.
hopefully so but here's another round.
Post edited April 19, 2014 by ErekoseDM
Licurg: There should be a little "fart" noise every time tinyE writes a post . That's it .
If you listen closely, you can hear me let out a little fart of terror every time.
Licurg: There should be a little "fart" noise every time tinyE writes a post . That's it .
Telika: If you listen closely, you can hear me let out a little fart of terror every time.
I just picked up my 'Dr. Fart' key chain from Amazon yesterday, The quality of this thing is beyond terrible but it was only 3 bucks and so long as you can tell it's a fart sound it works.
We absolutely need an ability to see all the posts of a certain user including our own. This is so that we can go back and find things to quote and such. For example some user posts a bunch of interesting information and you want find that information again or link to the post to point some new user to that information.
high rated
hucklebarry: I desperately want a mod tracker. (the ability to see all mod posts without digging through pages and sub-forums).

snip
If I understand you correctly, you can already do this. Just click on the little nut-icon with the exclamation mark in the centre that is listed at the right just in front of the "Replies" column.
I don't have any experiences with this forum, but if it's true that there are some "bullies" here abusing the negative rep function it really need be removed.

And there seem to be no real benefits to it. If I would want to show my appreciation of a post or a user I could give him a positive rep. It is a quick and nice and easy way to do that, without cluttering the thread with posts consisting of +1's or similar. And if he cares about this it would make him happy and motivated to continue in the same vein.

But if I don't like a user or a post of his, what good does it do to give him a negative rep? If you disagree with him you should say so in a post of your own and give him reasons why. The same is true if I just don't like his attitude.

I just do not see the benefit. And if there really aren't any, and at the same time it opens up the system for abuse, then be gone with it.
As far as things that seem to be upsetting people go I think there are 2 key things that can be easily addressed:

The rep system has caused a number of people to go to other forums, mainly the downrep side of it, so I also support just removing that button. I'm not sure I'd support a post count, as it has helped in that people like to answer questions on the games specific forums. If anything I'd move towards a post count and a rep that is only increased by answering questions. For now though, as a quick win, I'd suggest removing that minus button.

There are a lot of giveaways, and General Discussion has become divided into Giveaway, Off topic, and Gaming. Why not start 3 forums. There's no need to migrate the posts, and you could post the news stuff in all 3. We just want a bit of filtering, and that would once again be a quick win for you guys.
For me a better search function is important.

I am not super involved on the forum, but I do know that there have been issues with down repping. I think it unfortunate that a small number of users can hold the forum hostage like that. I also know some users have left as a result. The whole community suffers as a result.

Thanks for posting a topic about this.
Here goes my list:

* edit topic subjects
* lock/unlock topics
* delete your own posts/topics
* better search function
* list of your own posts and topics
* bigger avatars
* extend user titles, say 32 chars?
Post edited April 19, 2014 by simon_vd
simon_vd: Here goes my list:

* bigger avatars
So long as you keep that avatar I agree 100% and I say we put everything else on hold and get on this problem NOW!!!!!
high rated
simon_vd: Here goes my list:

* edit topic subjects
* lock/unlock topics
* delete your own posts
* better search function
* list of your own posts and topics
* bigger avatars
* extend user titles, say 32 chars?
Curious - why would you want to be able to delete your own posts? If you're unhappy with something you posted, you can edited it anytime you want.