It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

People have the power!

Crowdfunding is a controversial topic for some but a real godsend for others. What's indisputable, though, is that through the years Kickstarter has become an incubator for tons of cool game concepts, many of which gathered enough support to become a reality.

Over 10,000 of them in fact!

That's right, the Kickstarter-funded game projects (concerning video games and beyond) have recently reached this rather bewildering number as you can read <span class="bold">in their celebratory post</span>.
An impressive milestone and an excellent opportunity to look at some of the standout titles to come out of Kickstarter, both past and upcoming. See if you can spot any of your favorites:

-<span class="bold">Broken Age</span>: Tim Schafer's return to the point & clicks wasn't all smooth sailing, as illustrated in the <span class="bold">Double Fine Adventure</span> documentary. Still, this was the project that solidified Kickstarter as a perfectly viable platform for video game funding.
If you're quick you can get Broken Age now 80% off!

-<span class="bold">FTL</span> / <span class="bold">Darkest Dungeon</span> / <span class="bold">Hyper Light Drifter</span>: They all asked for humble sums of money but got heaps in return. Another thing they have in common? The released products were even greater successes, far exceeding everybody's expectations!
FTL is 75% off right now!

-<span class="bold">Shovel Knight</span>: Its funding campaign met with significant success but it still pales in comparison to the massive amounts of adoration it's received since.

-<span class="bold">Sunless Sea</span>: A modest crowdfunding campaign led to a beloved cult hit and an upcoming <span class="bold">sequel</span>, also funded through Kickstarter.
Get it now 67% off!

-<span class="bold">Pillars of Eternity</span> / <span class="bold">Divinity: Original Sin</span> / <span class="bold">Wasteland 2</span> / <span class="bold">Shadowrun Returns</span> / <span class="bold">Torment: Tides of Numenera</span>: After gathering millions of dollars in funding, these games heralded the glorious resurgence of isometric RPGs and we love them for it.

-<span class="bold">The Banner Saga</span>: The stunning art and the team's pedigree made this an easy Kickstarter success. The developers regretted not coming back to Kickstarter for the <span class="bold">second chapter</span> but rectified this mistake with The Banner Saga 3 which is going to conclude their turn-based epic.

-<span class="bold">Obduction</span>: Bringing the guys who made Myst out of semi-retirement is cause enough for celebration. This excellent puzzle adventure is just an added bonus.

-<span class="bold">STASIS</span>: Mark Morgan, the composer for classics like Fallout and Planescape: Torment, was so intrigued by this campaign that he asked to be a part of it. Same as 4000+ other people.

Kickstarter was also the spawning ground for some more recent and upcoming gems, like:

-<span class="bold">Rain World</span>: Unique, beautiful, and unforgiving. Just like its beasties.
-<span class="bold">Night in the Woods</span>: Superbly written, impeccably scored, critically praised. Gregg rules, ok?
-<span class="bold">Thimbleweed Park</span>: Less than a week after its release, it already has fans raving about its unmistakably retro charms. And if Monkey Island's legacy is anything to go by, this is just the beginning.
-<span class="bold">Pinstripe</span>: One man's mind-bending journey through hell, as conceived and executed by one man. And 3,780 backers.
-<span class="bold">Yooka-Laylee</span>: The charming return of the two-creature-team-up 3D platformers. Just look at all the colors!

So what's your relationship with Kickstarter? Are you a frequent backer? Which crowdfunded games have you enjoyed the most?
Post edited April 04, 2017 by maladr0Id
Geralt_of_Rivia: I'm not a backer (I don't back on principle, I only buy finished games) but I have followed what happened there.

Their first kickstarter had a tier which would give you access to all three games of the trilogy. It also promised a DRM-free release.

And when Banner Saga 2 was finished the devs made a 180° turn. The game got a Steam-only release, citing high piracy rates after the GOG release of Banner Saga 1 as the reason. When they were pointed out that their kickstarter promised a DRM-free release and that would of course also extend to Banner Saga 2 and 3 since (at least some) backers paid for them in the first kickstarter they still insisted that the DRM-free promise was only for Banner Saga 1 and they were not going to do a DRM-free release of Banner Saga 2 or 3 on GOG or otherwise.

However, after initial Steam sales were poor and they had a veritable shitstorm at hand for breaking the promise of a DRM-free release they did another 180 and brought the game to GOG.

While it is nice to see that some devs do listen to criticism breaking their promise in the first place is not acceptable, trying to wriggle out of promises (which you were paid for to keep) is tasteless at best (and fraudulent at worst) and blaming GOG for piracy is complete nonsense as the Steam version of Banner Saga 2 was cracked on day 1.
htown1980: Thank you!!!!

I think I remember some of that now. Having only backed the first game, I didn't realise the extent of the issue.

I am glad that the devs listened to criticism and I feel that mistakes get made and we should reward those devs that eventually do the right thing (as that should be encouraged) rather than punishing them for doing the wrong thing initially - as then there would be no incentive for them to rectify their mistakes.
He forgot to mention the fact there was a massive delay (a few weeks) after the initial release of Banner Saga 1 on steam only. The DRM free version was delayed due to " technical difficulties"...or so they claimed.
I'm seeing a lot of snide remarks and complaints about '15 good games and 9,985' bad ones, and similar 'they were crappy games' comments.

Something a lot of you seem to be missing is that this is 10,000 *game* projects. Not video game. If you actually looked at the referenced celebratory post, you'd see that they're referencing games like Scythe, which won the 2016 board game of the year award over on BoardGameGeek, and Secret Hitler, another tabletop game.

GOG isn't going to waste time enumerating things like this Organ Attack card game or the OUYA on their post about Kickstarter games. Why would they when those projects have absolutely nothing to do with a DRM free PC game distribution site? Give the Kickstarter site *some* credit even if the games funded aren't ones you personally are interested in.
I backed quite a few before realising that it was better to wait for the release than believe the spiel. I was also taken in by paying over the odds for exclusives. Along with the long delays (or apparent ninja cancellations) and some companies using it to generate sales not because they needed crowdfunding. Then not delivering on their promises despite making Massive amounts.

Ultimately I felt I was putting more into the slot machine than was coming out so I stopped.
low rated
htown1980: Thank you!!!!

I think I remember some of that now. Having only backed the first game, I didn't realise the extent of the issue.

I am glad that the devs listened to criticism and I feel that mistakes get made and we should reward those devs that eventually do the right thing (as that should be encouraged) rather than punishing them for doing the wrong thing initially - as then there would be no incentive for them to rectify their mistakes.
Niggles: He forgot to mention the fact there was a massive delay (a few weeks) after the initial release of Banner Saga 1 on steam only. The DRM free version was delayed due to " technical difficulties"...or so they claimed.
I remember that now. Being a backer of the original, I checked my kickstarter messages and see that I even complained about it (no response). That's probably why I didn't back the second game.

Checking my kickstarter messages, I see that I also requested (and was given) a refund from Harebrained Schemes when I found out that they weren't going to release a DRM free version of Shadowrun Returns for the general public. Then when they released it on gog, I bought it...

I'm glad they saw the error of their ways :)
amcdermo: I backed quite a few before realising that it was better to wait for the release than believe the spiel. I was also taken in by paying over the odds for exclusives. Along with the long delays (or apparent ninja cancellations) and some companies using it to generate sales not because they needed crowdfunding. Then not delivering on their promises despite making Massive amounts.

Ultimately I felt I was putting more into the slot machine than was coming out so I stopped.
So if you back a game and it gets cancelled, you don't get your money back?! I think that's awful to the 25 power.
Selden: ... Something a lot of you seem to be missing is that this is 10,000 *game* projects. Not video game. If you actually looked at the referenced celebratory post, you'd see that they're referencing games like Scythe, which won the 2016 board game of the year award over on BoardGameGeek, and Secret Hitler, another tabletop game. ...
Ah, I was missing that. Thanks for pointing out. I was somehow assuming GOG would talk about video games, given that they are a digital plattform and can hardly sell tabletop games.

So the number of video games concepts on Kickstarter is probably much lower than 10,000. The and the number of good ones, even much, much lower than 10,000. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

amcdermo: ... Ultimately I felt I was putting more into the slot machine than was coming out so I stopped.
Sensible reaction. I did the same. Everyone basically has to decide if Kickstarter projects are worth it but it may depend on the category. My guess is that video games projects on Kickstarter are especially risky.

BrokenBull: ... So if you back a game and it gets cancelled, you don't get your money back?! I think that's awful to the 25 power.
How can you get the money back if for example it has already been spent? Best thing is to see all backings on Kickstarter as donations with some potential reward attached which may or may not happen.
Post edited April 06, 2017 by Trilarion
Selden: ... Something a lot of you seem to be missing is that this is 10,000 *game* projects. Not video game. If you actually looked at the referenced celebratory post, you'd see that they're referencing games like Scythe, which won the 2016 board game of the year award over on BoardGameGeek, and Secret Hitler, another tabletop game. ...
Trilarion: Ah, I was missing that. Thanks for pointing out. I was somehow assuming GOG would talk about video games, given that they are a digital plattform and can hardly sell tabletop games.

So the number of video games concepts on Kickstarter is probably much lower than 10,000. The and the number of good ones, even much, much lower than 10,000. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

amcdermo: ... Ultimately I felt I was putting more into the slot machine than was coming out so I stopped.
Trilarion: Sensible reaction. I did the same. Everyone basically has to decide if Kickstarter projects are worth it but it may depend on the category. My guess is that video games projects on Kickstarter are especially risky.

BrokenBull: ... So if you back a game and it gets cancelled, you don't get your money back?! I think that's awful to the 25 power.
Trilarion: How can you get the money back if for example it has already been spent? Best thing is to see all backings on Kickstarter as donations with some potential reward attached which may or may not happen.
That is true; Kickstarter is for donations, but to donate money to a project and never see it complete has to be disappointing. I guess it is a gamble when donating to a project. Or, maybe one should donate out of goodness to support an indie team and hope they will return with something in the future.
mechmouse: I kickstarted War for the Overworld, still feel a little cheated on their idea of DRM Free. But they've updated the Humble version and promised to release here after the last expansion. So they might redeem themselves.

Also KickStarted

MechWarrior. Given the Developers work with ShadowRun I'm expecting a great game.

Battle Princess Madelyn, on the promise of a DRM free version.
vicklemos: Can't think of an awesome Kickstarter game that isn't here on GOG.
I mean, kickstarter + drm free all the way, right? :P
mechmouse: War for the Overworld

But it has been promised
Battle Princess Madelyn looks quite interesting. Thanks for the info.
Wow, 10,000 funded game projects.

Let's see how many of them actually didn't turn out to be flops...Seriously, the "success:fail" rate, even accounting for projects which are funded is not one which one would call good.

I can't help but notice that Starbound, while not funded directly by Kickstarter is conspicuously missing. (And hit something of a developmental dead end back when they made the protectorate) Ooh, or how about Yogventures? That was a smashing success!

How about Greed Monger, Code Hero, Xeco, The Stomping Land, CLANG, Nekkro, Unwritten: That which happened, Ant Simulator, or Cube World (another technical.)?

Shall we celebrate the millions of dollars blown into the wind or otherwise lost to projects like Mighty No 9? How about the countless unity asset flips or the complete schlock that now litters Steam?
I remember a con artist on Steam stealing assets from Daze Before Christmas and charging people for his 'new' game. Has this been resolved yet?
Wolf3: I've never funded anything, but I've bought a TON of these games (I don't really think about them as being Kickstarter games one way or the other). Didn't realize so many big name, quality games had gotten funding through it!
That's very good in a way.

I see a lot of people criticising some games harshly just because they were Kickstarted (regardless of if they backed them or not) because for some reason they idealise them and have the WRONG idea that just because a dev team creates a kickstarter they have to make a game exactly how every single one of the backers want it, or that they have the obligation of adding or changing things in their game just because people ask them in the forums.

I have a lot of games that have been kickstarted, some which I have backed and some not and all I can say am glad that thanks to crowdfunding I can play games that otherwise probably I wouldn't be able to play.
Post edited April 18, 2017 by grimlock047
Selden: I'm seeing a lot of snide remarks and complaints about '15 good games and 9,985' bad ones, and similar 'they were crappy games' comments.

Something a lot of you seem to be missing is that this is 10,000 *game* projects. Not video game. If you actually looked at the referenced celebratory post, you'd see that they're referencing games like Scythe, which won the 2016 board game of the year award over on BoardGameGeek, and Secret Hitler, another tabletop game.

GOG isn't going to waste time enumerating things like this Organ Attack card game or the OUYA on their post about Kickstarter games. Why would they when those projects have absolutely nothing to do with a DRM free PC game distribution site? Give the Kickstarter site *some* credit even if the games funded aren't ones you personally are interested in.
There's other great ones that just have DRM so wouldn't be listed. Distance isn't DRM free at this point as far as I can remember, but it's a great game. Jetpack 2 is nearly completed and is looking rather promising. It's a shame that it's taken so long for the developer, but it was a rather cheap asking price and he's been working it in his spare time.

I've largely stopped backing projects, because it's such a crap shoot about what you get and how long it takes. My first ever project is apparently still in development and at this point it's like 4 years late.
Post edited April 18, 2017 by hedwards