It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Breja: Is that something frowned upon these days? Watching a show that was cancelled?
Links: Many people I know (personally, not online) see it as a waste, especially if the story did not properly end. Not me though.
That's a really silly approach. Many of the very good TV shows have been prematurely cancelled. Som great ones even. Damn, the original Star Trek got cancelled, and that was about as good as TV gets.

NuffCatnip: Watched John Wick, there is no plot, it's basically one action scene followed by the next one, but they were directed very well.
The action scenes reminded me of Equilibrium, I liked it a great deal. :)
It's a decent action flick, but with all the praise I heard, it ended up really disappointing me. I just don't know why it made such a big impression on people.
Post edited November 11, 2016 by Breja
Breja: That's a really silly approach. Many of the very good TV shows have been prematurely cancelled. Som great ones even. Damn, the original Star Trek got cancelled, and that was about as good as TV gets.
Absolutely agree.

I'll let you in in a secret: it was also an excuse to write the phrase "I did it for the lulz". It features prominently in the show. :P
On Tuesday I watched "The Decline of Western Civilization Part 3"!

*rimshot*
Breja: That's a really silly approach. Many of the very good TV shows have been prematurely cancelled. Som great ones even. Damn, the original Star Trek got cancelled, and that was about as good as TV gets.
Links: Absolutely agree.

I'll let you in in a secret: it was also an excuse to write the phrase "I did it for the lulz". It features prominently in the show. :P
Oh. I have not seen the show (wasn't that big a fan of the movie), so I couldn't get it. But I always respect a person who can work in a clever refrence :)
tinyE: On Tuesday I watched "The Decline of Western Civilization Part 3"!

*rimshot*
We need more hyperbole!
NuffCatnip: Watched John Wick, there is no plot, it's basically one action scene followed by the next one, but they were directed very well.
The action scenes reminded me of Equilibrium, I liked it a great deal. :)
Breja: It's a decent action flick, but with all the praise I heard, it ended up really disappointing me. I just don't know why it made such a big impression on people.
Never heard of the movie before a couple days ago when a friend of mine lend me a couple DVD's.
Maybe I enjoyed it as much as I did because I didn't go into the movie with high expectations.
Well, that plus I'm a huge sucker for these stupid, stylized, choreographed gun fights. :P
Post edited November 11, 2016 by NuffCatnip
Links: Absolutely agree.

Breja: Oh. I have not seen the show (wasn't that big a fan of the movie), so I couldn't get it. But I always respect a person who can work in a clever refrence :)
tinyE: On Tuesday I watched "The Decline of Western Civilization Part 3"!

*rimshot*
Breja: We need more hyperbole!
I never did see Part 1 and I idolize those bands way more than any of the crap in part 2, not counting Ozzy and Lemmy of course.
Breja: It's a decent action flick, but with all the praise I heard, it ended up really disappointing me. I just don't know why it made such a big impression on people.
NuffCatnip: Never heard of the movie before a couple days ago when a friend of mine lend me a couple DVD's.
Maybe I enjoyed it as much as I did because I didn't go into the movie with high expectations.
Well, that plus I'm a huge sucker for these stupid, stylized, choreographed gun fights. :P
For some reason it become something of a hit (considering the low budget) and gained a huge popularity in just a couple of years. Pretty much everything I heard about was (and still is) the highest praise. It's already got a sequel coming, and another one planned.
tinyE: I never did see Part 1 and I idolize those bands way more than any of the crap in part 2, not counting Ozzy and Lemmy of course.
Wait... goes to Google... ooooh. That's an actual thing. Ooooh. Well, I feel stupid now.
tinyE:
Breja: Well, I feel stupid now.
Good, now you know what it's like to be me. :D
Breja:
It's not much about the plot/story, it's more about the world and characters (and the action of course).
I can totally see that movie set up like a series or a novel. Or indeed the sequels that they are doing/planning (although in movies I have less faith that they could keep it going strong).
Just watched the first episode of the "Black Mirror" series.

HOLY. SHIT.
neurasthenya: Just watched the first episode of the "Black Mirror" series.

HOLY. SHIT.
Pilot is a bit too much, yes. Some of the other episodes are quite good. Some.
neurasthenya: Just watched the first episode of the "Black Mirror" series.

HOLY. SHIT.
Cadaver747: Pilot is a bit too much, yes. Some of the other episodes are quite good. Some.
I thought it was disgustingly good and clever.

Just finished the 2nd, I'm totally hooked, the writing is just fucking great. Can't believe I was missing on this. >.<
*** A Snake Of June *** by Shinya Tsukamoto (2002)

A couple with no sexual life see its daily routine shaken when a voyeur starts stalking and blackmailing the woman until she gradually explores her repressed sexuality.

Well, it's a true Tsukamoto flick so it's naturally great! :o) Everything is in it: a tale about hidden inner instincts, filmed like a war zone report, strong visual choices (a blueish black&white coupled with a neverending rain), a soundtrack between japanese ambient and industrial and the usual weirdness. And of course, the blu-ray remaster is wonderful. Loved it.

Remastered trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXlv-KWeIQs

*** Red Sun *** by Terence Young (1971)

Yeah, it's THAT western with a worldwide all-stars cast (Charles Bronson, Toshiro Mifune, Alain Delon, Ursula Andress) which achieves to be boring as hell and completely misses its potential. The main reason is that it tried too hard to be a crowd pleaser and as such it failed to have any kind of personality, at such point that I tought it was an American production. :o)

Released 3 years later, "El kárate, el Colt y el impostor"(with Lee Van Cleef & Lo Lieh) was how it should have been done.
Post edited November 19, 2016 by catpower1980
Saw Marie Antionette the other day, the one by Sofia Coppola and with Kirsten Dunst in the title role. It was really good, showed how weird Versailles and the life at court was and how lonely and unsecure it was for people like Marie Antoinette, coming from a different country (Austria) as part of an aranged marriage.

She was expected to give birth to a boy, an heir, and it better be soon, because that was the deal breaker of the alliance between Austria and France. Without that happening, she wasn't worth anything. However, her husband preferred going on hunting trips to sleeping with her (seriously? Who would turn down Kirsten Dunst!?). Unfairly, it was all up to her to get France an heir. Any delay would be her fault alone. The movie certainly has plenty of sad/lonely/upsetting parts from a modern perspective.

I'd recommend it if you're interested in the mindsets of people in the past and the French court in particular. Also funny that Sweden, via Count von Fersen, played a not insignificant part in this movie.
I just watched DREDD, my favorite sci-fi movie so far!